Team-BHP - Tata Hexa : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Hexa : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/181903-tata-hexa-official-review-138.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthiltg (Post 4204818)
Today, was taking my Hexa out of the parking level and onto the ramp, when suddenly the steering tightened. Just about reached the top of the ramp to the ground level and could not turn the steering at all. It took a humongous effort to just steer the car to the side. Tried turning off/on - did not help. Also inspected the power steering fluid levels, no issues either. earlier had a problem of central locking turning off/on at high speeds on bumps. This was supposed to be some sensor coming loose and was fixed during the first service. I have a feeling even this one is related to some rogue sensor.
!

I feel it's the same vehicle speed sensor that is causing this issue too. Steering assist reduces, once vehicle speed increases. If the vehicle speed sensor is faulty and showing higher speed,then steering assist will not assist also. Please do let us know what happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 4206108)
Had the 5000km service done yesterday.

Called up the dealer who promptly sent a driver over. First service does not entail much apart from general check up and washing. Alignment was also carried out. They did a good job with the washing. I had forgotten my shades inside the sunglass holder. They cleaned the little stain off the holder. Thankfully, my sunglasses are still there and left untouched. Got the vehicle back in the evening itself. Total cost: zero. Gold AMC at work.

Regarding the gold AMC, had a detailed discussion with one of my friends who's in toyota. Unless you run more than 20k kms in a year, gold AMC would not be justified is what he said, looking at it's price.
It is a very confusing aspect, whether to go for it or not. Guessing that you would be doing many long drives which is good.

Coming to service, i have had my car taken to the service station twice by their driver: when there was a rattling in the bonnet and for first service. I was not happy with the first service so i went again today. Here's what they did:-

1. Replaced middle row lamp as it was flickering.
2. New rubber bushes for the bonnet and boot door.
3. Thorough interior cleaning along with blow-drying the AC vents.
4. Exterior wash.
5. Foam cleaning of the roof fabric which took almost half an hour.
6. Concealing the dash cam wire by directing it inside the panels and floor boards.

And the cost: zero. Do keep in mind that i already had given my car for first service, also at zero cost. Plus they had replaced a broken seat cover by coming all the way home.

To summarize, i do not think the AMC packages are anyway related to what goes on in the initial few services. Hence, would like to advice others to opt for it, only if the running is extensive.

Would obviously like to add that am totally satisfied by the work done!

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi7013 (Post 4206279)
Regarding the gold AMC, had a detailed discussion with one of my friends who's in toyota. Unless you run more than 20k kms in a year, gold AMC would not be justified is what he said, looking at it's price.
To summarize, i do not think the AMC packages are anyway related to what goes on in the initial few services. Hence, would like to advice others to opt for it, only if the running is extensive.

Absolutely agreed. Gold AMC makes sense, but only if you have the running for it. Its real benefit will show when things like brakes and suspensions will need replacement (no clutch, mine's the automatic :)). That will happen only after clocking many many kms. I put in a lot of thought before opting for AMC. And decided on the highest 3year/100k km one. My City did 70000km in 3 years. I'll definitely do more with the Hexa.

Quote:

Coming to service, i have had my car taken to the service station twice by their driver: when there was a rattling in the bonnet and for first service. I was not happy with the first service so i went again today. Here's what they did:-
Would obviously like to add that am totally satisfied by the work done!
Quite a few minor issues. I have had none. My Hexa has been running like clockwork.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthiltg (Post 4204818)
Will keep you folks posted on the updates!

Not a pretty picture!

Sorry for the delayed post folks! Got the vehicle back on Saturday. Though the service guy offered to drop the vehicle back home, I wanted to visit the service center to understand the problem and solution better. The Concorde folks basically found that a small foreign particle (maybe a tiny aluminum foil) blocked the pressure sensor valve opening (which basically would be smaller than the size of an hair strand). They are not sure how it got there, but the suspect is that it was present when the vehicle was being assembled and found that unfortunate time to lodge it self into the hole that blocked the pressure. So for all practical purposes the Power steering failed to function and what I was trying to maneuver was this 2.3 ton beast in its raw form. Trust me, I could really feel the 19 inch wheels and the weight of the car while trying do so! :)

Now, they sent the part to the vendor company and those folks tested and certified that the issue has been solved and is no longer a problem. The Concorde folks also did extensive test runs at all speeds to validate the same. I was assured by the Service Engineer that all the key senior stakeholders from Tata had taken note of this problem and had been involved during the course of debugging and fix (ASM, RSM etc., - I honestly don't know what roles are those anyway). The Tata Service Head for Telangana (Mr. Srinivasulu) and the Service Head for Concorde (Mr. Toufiq) also responded to my email and assured that they shall resolve it and assured direct access/support in any future issues as well (God forbid!). The Service Engineer who has 15 years of experience with Concorde also exclaimed he had never faced an issue like this in Safari, Aria and now Hexa - of course.

Nevertheless, only time will tell if that was just an one-off rare incident. Vehicle seems to be fine now and steering a tad better than earlier. Against my complaint about the centralized locking sometimes switching off and on when going on humps, they clarified the rubber knobs under the bonnet needs to be tightened/adjusted to ensure the lid does not activate the sensor underneath when there is bumpy movement. Again, this is something I need to validate while tuning it.

Overall, everyone I interacted with in TASS/Concorde during this issue, seemed eager to help and ensure Customer satisfaction. Reminds me about Maruti doing a similar step-up when Swift was launched in 2005. But like always, only time will tell.

Edit: Regarding how dangerous this could have been - IMO, not so much. Because, with speed, the vehicle even without Power Steering would not have been so hard to maneuver in a crisis situation. It is only at low speeds, it makes a massive difference [unless of course, you are Baahubali...;-) ]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 4206301)
Absolutely agreed. Gold AMC makes sense, but only if you have the running for it. Its real benefit will show when things like brakes and suspensions will need replacement (no clutch, mine's the automatic :)). That will happen only after clocking many many kms. I put in a lot of thought before opting for AMC. And decided on the highest 3year/100k km one. My City did 70000km in 3 years. I'll definitely do more with the Hexa.

Quite a few minor issues. I have had none. My Hexa has been running like clockwork.

It was just the flickering lights and re-locking that were the "issues"! If you could read again, the other pointers were just my request to them and not "minor issues".

There have been few meetings of fellow Hexa owners in Pune and Bangalore where discussions were made regarding the niggles which few owners faced.
Turns out, there were only a few cases like improperly aligned seat belts, issues in installation of side steps and the likes.
Few owners even met with other senior TATA resources and explained the engine gargle. They were informed that it's very much normal and they were working on a way to make it less noticeable.

Overall, owners are really happy and satisfied of having made the right choice and are soaking in the attention that they are getting from the public when on road, sitting comfortably in the cool cabin (literally cool!) of the beast!

Another important point to add is that we all find one thing common with TATA: Their after sales service rocks! Irrespective of the issue, the response time and quality is worth mentioning.
To those of you sceptical of buying the Hexa because of doubts on service, fear not. Service centres of other international brands will be put to shame.

Attaching a few pictures from the meet in Pune-
Tata Hexa : Official Review-f12efca66ab082222bbe08c480bb5ac30efddf24970211e3fapimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-61c5b18829f32bfa44c7ad101f2dc68e879e85a120187ad633pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Bangalore:-

Tata Hexa : Official Review-b.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-b2.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi7013 (Post 4206949)
Few owners even met with other senior TATA resources and explained the engine gargle. They were informed that it's very much normal and they were working on a way to make it less noticeable.

Thanks for the update @abhi. I really hope they come-up with something which can be applied to the cars' already on road, along with the future batches! Each time I've taken my Storme 400 to the service, I've pointed this out only to get the 'it's normal' response. Not that I've noticed any problems with this but it is an abnormal sound nevertheless! I don't know what rev range does this happen in the Hexa; (my bad as I've not gone thorough the entire thread) but it is most apparent in 2nd gear climb with the acc. input at 1/2 or 3/4, in the Storme.

I have the same seat belt unaligned issue, which I noticed few weeks back, will try to get it fixed on first service. Got the side steps and rear guard done from outside as it was much cheaper and looks were also good. Side steps with fitting costed around 6000 Rs and rear guard was 2500 .

Hello everybody, I just wanted to know if there are any members who are Hexa owners from Kolkata? Has anyone purchased their Hexa from KB Motors Ballygunge?

Hello Everyone,
Thanks to everyone on this thread for providing a lot of valuable information about Hexa, the owners especially!! It has given me a lot of confidence to go ahead and take the plunge. I have booked the Hexa XTA (6 seater) A.Blue on 14.05.2017 and will most likely take the delivery later this week.

Just a quick background, I was in the market to upgrade my 7 year old SX4 Zxi to a SUV (automatic was must). I've always thought XUV500 W10 AT would be my only choice given that I wasn't willing to spend more than 25L for the car. My friends and I casually went to the Concorde Motors showroon about a month back to check out the car and the first impression - it was certainly one good looking car!! We also did a quick TD and I absolutely feel in love with the ride comfort and the way engine and AT gearbox drove. clap: It did turn change my impression (rather lack of) about the HEXA. I came back home and re-read the HEXA official review on Tbhp and all the subsequent discussions on this thread. I was kind of sold on the car by then.

The next week, took the better half (who was extremely hesitant to buy a TATA car) to the showroom and her impression of the car completely changed. A week later, we had back to back TD on XUV500 AT and HEXA XTA on the exact same roads. Both of us were fully convinced that in terms of ride quality and how the car drove, HEXA was our choice. XUV was certainly not bad but HEXA was way more refined (as noted by many others). A couple of days later we were informed by the SA at Concorde that they have a April 2017 make XTA 6 seater in A.Blue color, which was our choice too (even though it's probably the most common color). This pushed our decision to go ahead with the purchase immediately rather than waiting for a month or two. Sorted all the financial stuff over the week and this weekend, the same 3 guys went over to Concorde and got the PDI done and everything seemed to be in order. Thanks to TBhp for the exhaustive PDI!! Hoping to share my experience after driving the car for a couple of weeks and also connecting with the other HEXA owners in Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by easwarr (Post 4207223)
Hello Everyone,
Thanks to everyone on this thread for providing a lot of valuable information about Hexa, the owners especially!! It has given me a lot of confidence to go ahead and take the plunge. I have booked the Hexa XTA (6 seater) A.Blue on 14.05.2017 and will most likely take the delivery later this week.

First of all Congrats , If you have not paid the full amount I would suggest you to wait till GST implementation in July as it widely believed this is segment (large SUV)which will see biggest price reduction

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anuruddhs (Post 4207051)
I have the same seat belt unaligned issue, which I noticed few weeks back, will try to get it fixed on first service. Got the side steps and rear guard done from outside as it was much cheaper and looks were also good. Side steps with fitting costed around 6000 Rs and rear guard was 2500 .

Hello there. That's excellent to know that aftermarket side steps costs half as much as what official accessory costs. How is the fit and finish of the side steps and rear bumper guard? Would also like to know where did you purchase them and the name of the brand if any.
Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikvkv (Post 4207304)
Hello there. That's excellent to know that aftermarket side steps costs half as much as what official accessory costs. How is the fit and finish of the side steps and rear bumper guard? Would also like to know where did you purchase them and the name of the brand if any.
Regards.

Both are I.C.G brand and side step looks good in my opinion, Personally not that happy with rear guard look but that was the only option available on shop and I did't want to come again for same stuff so put the one which was available.

We took delivery of a Blue Tata Hexa XTA.

Shall come up with a detailed review soon....but a brief summary can be condensed to one single word:

OUTSTANDING!!!

This is a car which drives and rides like a segment above and eats its competition for breakfast.

It would be an absolute shame if it did numbers lesser than Innova and XUV 500.

It seems like Tata has made a lot of progress, on all fronts including service. But their issue with all niggles not sorted out still remains. I can understand design issues, but the noticed niggles are either vendor or build quality related ones, related to company culture. I don't notice much of these with cars from Hyundai/Toyota for example where design related issues do occur, but not these little irritations that are not acceptable these days.

It is still a truck making culture.

The good thing is that Concorde seems to be more responsive these days and the basics of the car seem well sorted, so functionality in general ought to not be a long term concern.