Team-BHP - Tata Hexa : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Hexa : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/181903-tata-hexa-official-review-118.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachelongbow (Post 4174087)
Also a point worth mentioning is when I replaced the Dicor with the Storme,the Storme felt atleast 2 generations ahead of the rattly dicor. Good to see TML making progress

Also a point worth mentioning is that apache still retains his Storme:D !!

Apache, the Storme is addictive, in a nice kind of way, and hard to give up as a swap for Hexa. On the other hand, the formidable Hexa-Storme combo of yours is a guarantee :D on your face.

Quote:

I own a Storme and now a Hexa XTA. Its the opposite of what you just wrote. Post the Hexa the Storme feels very crude and some generations behind. The Hexa may be low on price but trust me it is several segments above the Storme, especially in terms of features,,fit and finish and well appointed interiors, not to mention the fantastic automatic. Everytime I step out for a drive my hands always pick up the Hexa keys, its only when I want to drive in peak traffic or conjested roads I pick up the Storme due its immense bullying powers:D

Also a point worth mentioning is when I replaced the Dicor with the Storme,the Storme felt atleast 2 generations ahead of the rattly dicor. Good to see TML making progress

Hi
As someone who owns both i trust your judgement .
I did a Hexa TD.But, when i came back to driving the storme i fell in love with it even more.Crude he is ,yes.
Is it also because as we age we mellow down to something which is less aggressive?
No offence meant here,please.

Cheers.

Quote:

.. when I replaced the Dicor with the Storme,the Storme felt atleast 2 generations ahead of the rattly dicor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR (Post 4174357)
Hi I did a Hexa TD.But, when i came back to driving the storme i fell in love with it even more.Crude he is ,yes.

The Hexa is definitely better in terms of the fit & finish. But the Storme 320's power delivery feels a like a rush. The Varicor 400 also feels much smoother in power delivery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4174367)
The Hexa is definitely better in terms of the fit & finish. But the Storme 320's power delivery feels a like a rush. The Varicor 400 also feels much smoother in power delivery.

As said earlier, its because of Hexa's driving modes. By default, it goes to auto. Drive the car in dynamic and then you'll realise which has better performance.
I was told by the senior SA that safari's varicor is configured similar to Hexa's when the latter is in dynamic mode.
Heck, if you put hexa in comfort mode, you will end up thinking that hexa is a stupid car with a litre engine and 2000 kilos.
I really do not know how you or anyone else here drove the cars, but please bear in mind, if you want to check the performance, switch to dynamic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi7013 (Post 4174483)
As said earlier, its because of Hexa's driving modes. By default, it goes to auto. Drive the car in dynamic and then you'll realise which has better performance.

Exactly agree:
90% of my TD was in Dynamic mode. The SA kept switching to other modes to show me the ride/behavior changes and I simply switched back to Dynamic mode everytime. Such was the fun factor, that you don't even realise how big or heavy the vehicle really is.
That's why I feel the absence of Dynamic mode (along with ACC) is a big downer in the affordable XM variant. Why Tata why :Frustrati

A trend what I notice recently is of more and more comparison between Hexa vs Endeavour/Innova than with XUV. The moment a car gets compared to the next segment, it is definitely the best appreciation it can get. My gut feeling, Hexa is turning a winner! Really happy that this kind of engineering is happening from an Indian manufacturer especially the drive comfort part. Wish that this percolates down a segment to have more robust competition in the 5 seater SUV segment. I am going shoping soon!!clap:

Just to clarify my point of view. It is not intentional for me to keep my Storme. I have a particular constraint that the parking spots at my parents house and my Mumbai house are too small to fit anything longer than the Storme. In Hyderabad I have big covered underground parking to keep a couple of cars and bikes. Hence selling off the Storme for me will be useless as I then need to buy a smaller car when I drive down to Mumbai
The Storme is already 3 years old, loan free and hence it makes economic sense to keep it. Also the poor resale value gives me no incentive in selling it off, especially since i have mantained it mint and rattle free.
In saying that I still love the Storme and it is a nice car, but in today's market with multiple choices and a brilliant Hexa from the same family, its hard to justify a bare boned, simply engineered car selling for 16.5 lacs. My SA also confirmed that post Hexa, the Storme sales are close to nil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bijubalan (Post 4174822)
A trend what I notice recently is of more and more comparison between Hexa vs Endeavour/Innova than with XUV. The moment a car gets compared to the next segment, it is definitely the best appreciation it can get. My gut feeling, Hexa is turning a winner! Really happy that this kind of engineering is happening from an Indian manufacturer especially the drive comfort part. Wish that this percolates down a segment to have more robust competition in the 5 seater SUV segment. I am going shoping soon!!clap:

That's a very good observation. I completely agree with your viewpoint.

The Tata Hexa now commands a waiting period of two and half months, and has over 75% of bookings for it's top-end XT variants. (link)

My XTA has clocked 3000km is averaging around 9-10kmpl in Delhi traffic. FE increases to about 13-14 if you lazily cruise along on open roads, but again drops back into single figures it you maintain 3 digit speeds. All figures are via MID. I find FE acceptable but range should have been better. Hexa begs for an 80liter fuel tank.

Telescopic steering adjust is a BIG miss. Prospective owners should take extended test drives and make sure they are comfortable with the ergonomics. I have had to play around quite a bit to find a comfortable enough driving position.

Niggles and complaints
Quote:

Originally Posted by bijubalan (Post 4174822)

Absolutely agree. Hexa is a very satisfying car to drive and travel in, whose ride and handling and overall feel good-ness is much better than the XUV. It comes into its own once you hit the highways. Honestly, you get used to those superb seats and the magic carpet ride, and no other car feels comfortable enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 4174879)
My XTA has clocked 3000km is averaging around 9-10kmpl in Delhi traffic. FE increases to about 13-14 if you lazily cruise along on open roads, but again drops back into single figures it you maintain 3 digit speeds. All figures are via MID. I find FE acceptable but range should have been better. Hexa begs for an 80liter fuel tank.

Telescopic steering adjust is a BIG miss. Prospective owners should take extended test drives and make sure they are comfortable with the ergonomics. I have had to play around quite a bit to find a comfortable enough driving position.

Niggles and complaints
  • AC vent does not shut. Lets in foul smells and outside dust in recirculation mode. Dealer could not solve it. Has been escalated to Tata. Awaiting resolution
  • ACC blower is quite strong but is insanely loud. With temperatures soaring above 40 degrees, AC is used at full blast and it gets quite annoying. No complaints with regards to the cooling though. Chills the huge cabin quickly and effectively.
  • ICE randomly plays and does not play audio via bluetooth. Could not replicate the problem at the dealer. I am sticking to USB for now.
  • Interface for navigation on the ICE system sucks. It is quite complicated to use and constantly bugs you to buy the paid version. Google Maps is simply unmatchable. Too bad, the system does not support Android Auto or MirrorLink

Absolutely agree. Hexa is a very satisfying car to drive and travel in, whose ride and handling and overall feel good-ness is much better than the XUV. It comes into its own once you hit the highways. Honestly, you get used to those superb seats and the magic carpet ride, and no other car feels comfortable enough.

Regarding fuel efficiency, engaging cruise control makes a big difference. Drove from BLR to HYD using the cruise control at around 100kmph throughout. The mid indicated fuel efficiency hovered around the 14.8 Kmpl. Actual efficiency was about 1 Kmpl lesser. Yes speeds above 120kmph reduces efficiency to about 12kmpl with it dipping to around 10 at higher speeds. Overall quite acceptable. However without cruise control the box tends to keep lower gears to aid acceleration, resulting in a drop in fuel figures.
Luckily I have no problem with either dust or foul smells. I suspect your re circulation flap may not close fully, something which plagued the earlier dicors. It is a easy fix though. It's certianly not due to a non closing air vent. The area near the windshield and the wiper assembly, is covered by a black plastic grill. There is a tendency for this area to get covered with debri, dry leaves, twigs and sometimes droppings like acorns, or nuts. May be something like this is blocking the re circulation flap which is just behind the grill.

I have seen the system pause or take break in playing songs at random times, I guess a bug fix is due for this.
I agree on the horribly loud blower sounds, this must be addressed asap to reduce the nvh, which otherwise is superbly quiet.

Anyone who has driven the Innova crysta ZX autoand Hexa XTA, please share your experience. I felt the crysta had more lag and had to be put in the power mode to match the Hexa in auto mode.

The crysta felt more plush perhaps due to the higher dash and steering and lower placed rear captain seats..

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsrini (Post 4174938)
Anyone who has driven the Innova crysta ZX autoand Hexa XTA, please share your experience.

Yes, the autobox in the crysta makes you feel that there is significant lag, especially in slow moving traffic. The shifts are less predictable and overall the driving experience was not that great.

On the other hand the Hexa's autobox felt nicely calibrated. Shifts are progressive and very predictable. Sports mode lets out a beast that's been leashed inside otherwise.

Overall I found the Hexa to be more involving to drive.

After much delay local TATA dealer called me up to check out the hexa. I was eager to check out the car and went with my dad with a plan to TD the car. To my surprise the showroom attendant took us to their workshop and showed us a tungstun silver XT model of hexa. It looked stunning. The attendant said it was not a demo car but a car ready to be delivered to a customer. To my surprise(shock) he insisted that I should drive it and check out hexa. I'm ashamed to say that i did drove the car from the workshop to the showroom which was at a distance of 1km. One more attendant joined me and dad as I was behind the wheels.

I gave the ignition and there was hardly any indication that it was a diesel car. The clutch felt really light, so light that, I floored the clutch twice. The attendant was very eager and insisted that I shouldn't slow down for potholes and just drive over it.😱I drove it till showroom and got out of the car. I'm mentioning the showroom guys as attendants because they are a bunch of crazy people. They have absolutely no idea about the features of the car. But they tell that the car(hexa) is rock solid at 120kmph unlike innova. The attendants thereafter took us inside showroom and gave us the quotation XT 4x2 costing Rs 20.8 big ones. The attendant insisted us to book it right away. Me and dad knew the booking price as 11k but asked them anyways about amount. To our shock he demanded any amount from 50k to 100k as booking amount. When we questioned him about the 11k amount being the actual booking as advertised by Tata, he says ''it's OK Saar pay whatever as booking amount''. Me and dad came out of the showroom. The first thing I decided was to not book the car in that showroom. God knows even my car would be taken for a ride before delivery. Tata hexa has a lot to go with it, it's ride felt solid, paint job was fantastic but Tata and it's dealership is nowhere to go with these idiotic dealers. Now I'm in two minds whether to buy hexa from Hyderabad or Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikvkv (Post 4175176)
The first thing I decided was to not book the car in that showroom. God knows even my car would be taken for a ride before delivery. It's dealership is nowhere to go with these idiotic dealers.

You won't buy from there because of that but you did not have a problem DOING the same for someone else's car! Not fair buddy! The least you could have done is shouted at them for such a nasty thing they are doing and not just feel ashamed at driving.