Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 13:15   #76
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Gaurav
Personally, I am in a dilemma now - Elantra or the Hexa - both very different behaving and purpose vehicles. Latter is more suitable for Bangalore potholed and crowded roads, but Elantra is simply toooooooo good looking.
lazy
My dilemma is bween Elantra, Tucson and City (a whole segment down true, but still in my reckoning), all petrol MT variants.

Elantra SX(O) MT: I fear it will sit on all speed breakers of Bangalore!

Tucson base petrol: Pinches the pocket the most, one-time as well as FE-wise too

City V MT: I fear power/pickup/NVH not adequate for my liking.

As someone said, you never get all wishes satisfied. There is always something lacking :-)

And as you said, no dealer seems to have the petrol MT variants of Elantra or Tucson for TD. And I'll be damned if I buy a car without TD'ing that particular engine variant!

So my wait continues ...

My dilemma would get solved if they launch the Creta petrol MT with *cruise control*.

Last edited by vharihar : 23rd December 2016 at 13:17.
Old 24th December 2016, 07:24   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
My dilemma is bween Elantra, Tucson and City (a whole segment down true, but still in my reckoning), all petrol MT variants.

Elantra SX(O) MT: I fear it will sit on all speed breakers of Bangalore!

Tucson base petrol: Pinches the pocket the most, one-time as well as FE-wise too

City V MT: I fear power/pickup/NVH not adequate for my liking.

As someone said, you never get all wishes satisfied. There is always something lacking :-)

And as you said, no dealer seems to have the petrol MT variants of Elantra or Tucson for TD. And I'll be damned if I buy a car without TD'ing that particular engine variant!

So my wait continues ...

My dilemma would get solved if they launch the Creta petrol MT with *cruise control*.

Stay with the Elantra. I own the previous fluidic version and have not regretted. It hasn't scraped a single bump so far in Bangalore.

The Tucson in my opinion is not value for money. It being an SUV is likely to guzzle Petrol in Bangalore's notorious traffic.

The city is a nice car. Especially in Petrol, but is a whole segment lower and doesn't give you the exclusivity of the other two nor the quality. "Hyundai is the new Honda".

Also why aren't you looking at the automatics? Considering the traffic is only going to get worse in the next 5 years of your car ownership.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 24th December 2016 at 07:26.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 09:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Any reasons for not considering the Corolla with its UV like ride height? Unlike its puny diesel, at least the petrol engine feels like it belongs to that segment. Though it gets cruise control only for the CVT variants if I am not mistaken.

I didn't like the quality of interior plastics on the Elantra when I checked it out. The all black theme is nice and the fit is really good, but the plastics felt like they belong to a lower segment. But think Elantra has sufficient ground clearance. You can always try a diesel or the AT for checking the viability on the roads you frequent. No need for a petrol MT car for that purpose.

And the same question as Arjun Reddy. Why no automatics? They are a must have on these comfort oriented commuter cars especially for a chocked city like Bangalore.
Old 25th December 2016, 20:08   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Any reasons for not considering the Corolla with its UV like ride height? Unlike its puny diesel, at least the petrol engine feels like it belongs to that segment. Though it gets cruise control only for the CVT variants if I am not mistaken.

I didn't like the quality of interior plastics on the Elantra when I checked it out. The all black theme is nice and the fit is really good, but the plastics felt like they belong to a lower segment. But think Elantra has sufficient ground clearance. You can always try a diesel or the AT for checking the viability on the roads you frequent. No need for a petrol MT car for that purpose.

And the same question as Arjun Reddy. Why no automatics? They are a must have on these comfort oriented commuter cars especially for a chocked city like Bangalore.
My distance driven for daily office commute isn't much to justify diesel car extra cost.

I like manuals. So if something that I like comes cheaper, I'd go with that rather than pay a premium and get something that I don't find fun, even if it's more convenient in heavy traffic (I do see your point).

As regards Corolla, I don't like it's dashboard design. Very tacky. And driver's right (on door) and left armrests are extremely unergonomic. It's overpriced for what it offers, I feel.
Old 25th December 2016, 20:19   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's overpriced for what it offers, I feel.
Yes, but it will age well and resale will be highest. Petrol engine of Corolla is very peppy and ultra reliable, can outlast most of its owners. This come with Zero issues and some very low ownership costs, you will be surprised if you compare service costs of Elantra vs Corolla. In past corolla service used to cost less than Santro

I have one since 2003 with over 300 K and it still starts at first crank even if its sitting idle for months.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 20:57   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes, but it will age well and resale will be highest. Petrol engine of Corolla is very peppy and ultra reliable, can outlast most of its owners. This come with Zero issues and some very low ownership costs, you will be surprised if you compare service costs of Elantra vs Corolla. In past corolla service used to cost less than Santro

I have one since 2003 with over 300 K and it still starts at first crank even if its sitting idle for months.
Wow, awesome! Thanks, will also consider it when I get into high gear in my car shopping efforts (mostly April 2017). Hopefully if the Corolla facelift/upgrade also comes in by then and has fixed the armrest issue, then that'd make the decision easy for me.

But otherwise, the armrest is a deal breaker for me. Vary fatiguing to drive with armrests that you need to lean on to.
Old 4th January 2017, 21:01   #82
BHPian

Autocar India has come out with a comparison of Elantra with Corolla and Octavia.

PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 11:03   #83
BHPian

I was in the market to pick up a D Segment Sedan. Two contenders that I shortlisted were the Elantra & the Octavia. As I have low running and once in a blue moon type highway runs, I was never gunning for a Diesel car. Hence my contenders here were pure petrol's, in AT and in top end specs.

As I had the updated Grand i10 in its top spec avatar. First car that I drove was the Elantra. Having known what to expect from Hyundai in terms of quality & features, Elantra was as expected, top notch. The feature list was long and the drive quality was sorted. I especially loved the tail-lights. They have a certain swag in them.

Armed with a cheque book the next day and a nerdy for cars kinda friend, we headed to the Hyundai Showroom for booking/Test Driving the car once again.

We hit the road for the TD, this time my friend driving it. Went around the area through congested roads, through open areas, through worst possible roads and then came back to the showroom.

Before entering the showroom, my friend pulls me aside and says "Did you notice" I said, "No what did you want me to notice?" He replies, "That's what, nobody noticed us... A 25 lac car should feel like the one, which people turn around and at-least glance at it " No body noticed us. The earlier Elantra, ensured people looked at her either with admiration or mutual disrespect. Look at Jetta or Octavia he continues, people still turn around and look at them. & they are here since past 4-5 years.

D segment is all about Opulence, is all about Luxury, which not only feels luxury, but also shows luxury, is about arriving in Style. Why don't you TD Octavia once, and then decide what you want to do.

That was the day, and today is the day, I didn't go back to the Hyundai showroom, because what happened next was I go to the Skoda Showroom, all the way 35 kms away from my residence only to be blown away with what I see in the showroom. The updated Octavia MY-17 has very much almost everything that Elantra has to offer, but makes you feel special every-time you step inside the car. A short spin in and around Thane, where the showroom was located, at signals, people were turning around and casually glancing at the car. That's the time, I realized, what my friend was trying to tell me. And suddenly, 4 lacs price difference just didn't matter. And then Octavia became the preferred choice. No way am I saying that the Elantra is inferior, it just didn't feel special once I was inside the Octavia.

Talking about the tail-lights, I think, even these one's have their own swag.

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-15672501_10154288001728284_1783396385006925073_n.jpg
sawnilrules is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 22:42   #84
BHPian

Just how noisy is the 1.6Ltr diesel engine supposed to be ?

Long story short , my father booked the diesel version ( top model with sunroof etc ) without test drive (Siliguri and Bardhaman didn't have any test drive car and we took a leap of faith due to lack of any other option asides the outgoing corolla ) and took delivery a couple of days back . Everything about this car is perfect except the engine - it sounds almost like an Indica !!!! I am not sure if we got a lemon but I suspect this is the case with this motor . There is considerable noise inside cabin past 2000 rpm and standing outside , one can easily distinguish what sounds like the notorious tappet racket that one might associate with a royal enfield motorcycle , not a car that cost us upwards 22L . Dad recorded a video but it didn't capture the audio well , I will record one tomorrow and share it here for feedback whether the noise sounds natural.

We had test driven the S-cross 1.6ltr model and that car has a more refined and quieter engine(if you disagree then it might hint that there is a defect with our car ) ; we have access to a 6 year old skoda laura diesel that is quieter than this !!! . It shouldn't be this bad , dad is not showing it but when a man appears dejected after taking possession of such a beautiful car , it means he is gutted at taking such a leap of faith (he keeps repeating how he had promised never to purchase diesel and appears confused what prompted him to book this car ). It is like a pretty girl with a shrill annoying voice ! My father might be mistaken but he repeats that the creta diesel was quieter than the elantra as well , he drove the creta for over 200km 3 months earlier . I am not sure which version though but I suspect the lower model with 1.4ltr engine.

ps: It is our first automatic and damn that feels good to drive !!!

Last edited by basuroy : 26th January 2017 at 22:57.
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 10:56   #85
Senior - BHPian

Noise from a 1.6 diesel Hyundai? Shocking to hear. I test drove the same car, and didn't observe noise, it's supposed to be one of the most refined motors in the market. Doing duty on Verna, Creta and Elantra, I've never come across such reactions to this engine.

Please do post a video shot with a good smartphone or camera.

Ask your dealer to send over another diesel Elantra for comparison. If they both sound same, your refinement expectations are a bit too high 😄 if not, check under the hood. May be the under-hood sound insulation is compromised. Hyundais are not the quietest cabins, but yes I do agree that the S-Cross is less noisy than the Hyundai.
Old 27th January 2017, 11:07   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Just how noisy is the 1.6Ltr diesel engine supposed to be ?

Long story short , my father booked the diesel version ( top model with sunroof etc ) without test drive (Siliguri and Bardhaman didn't have any test drive car and we took a leap of faith due to lack of any other option asides the outgoing corolla ) and took delivery a couple of days back . Everything about this car is perfect except the engine - it sounds almost like an Indica !!!! I am not sure if we got a lemon but I suspect this is the case with this motor . There is considerable noise inside cabin past 2000 rpm and standing outside , one can easily distinguish what sounds like the notorious tappet racket that one might associate with a royal enfield motorcycle , not a car that cost us upwards 22L . Dad recorded a video but it didn't capture the audio well , I will record one tomorrow and share it here for feedback whether the noise sounds natural.

We had test driven the S-cross 1.6ltr model and that car has a more refined and quieter engine(if you disagree then it might hint that there is a defect with our car ) ; we have access to a 6 year old skoda laura diesel that is quieter than this !!! . It shouldn't be this bad , dad is not showing it but when a man appears dejected after taking possession of such a beautiful car , it means he is gutted at taking such a leap of faith (he keeps repeating how he had promised never to purchase diesel and appears confused what prompted him to book this car ). It is like a pretty girl with a shrill annoying voice ! My father might be mistaken but he repeats that the creta diesel was quieter than the elantra as well , he drove the creta for over 200km 3 months earlier . I am not sure which version though but I suspect the lower model with 1.4ltr engine.

ps: It is our first automatic and damn that feels good to drive !!!

I would recommend get the car checked. I clearly remember when I went for the TD of the Elantra, quiet and free revving engine was something that got me hooked. Infact, I confirmed with the SA twice whether he was sure that I was driving a diesel variant.

The Creta and the Elantra have the same diesel mill. Infact, insulation material used in the Elantra is far better than the one in Creta.

Also as Adi has suggested, get another diesel car from the dealer and get the sound validated.
Old 27th January 2017, 17:40   #87
BHPian

Dealer had no other car so we could never compare in the first place.

Here is the video , the noise is hideous and this sounds worse than a tractor ! We are utterly in shock right now as the full implication is dawning on us . We have no trust in some service centre being able to fix this racket. Is it possible to get the entire engine changed ? I suppose the ship has sailed for getting the car changed , I am very angry at my dad for accepting this car in this state in spite of repeated cautions from me . He drove it all the way from Bardhaman to Siliguri ( 500km) and we may now need to drive back down to the same dealer because we are not even sure if the Siliguri dealer will entertain such a basket case !

I don't know if this is normal with all hyundai diesel but this is utterly disgusting .

Old 27th January 2017, 19:26   #88
BHPian

UPDATE -

I was having difficulty believing my father who has been driving since mid 90s(this is his 6th car ) could take delivery of a car in this state so I asked again as he had just returned from office . Father says , and he sounds confident now , that car was not making this racket during delivery . The noise my mother had reported during drive was due to high rpm ( the car was in some semi automatic mode and rpm was crossing 4000 where some noise is natural ). I believe him because even the most naive man would have noticed the racket during delivery , at present , it sounds worse than used Indica even with bonnet down .

Moreover , my mother is now recalling that after they filled up diesel at a fairly big pump everyone fills up at( Indian Oil ) , the car suddenly started making more sound . This would suggest the diagnosis(in a separate thread I created where a member reckons this is down to faulty injector ) that this is injector related is indeed probable . They are sure they didn't fill up petrol and the car would anyways have stalled by now if that were the case .

I know this is so confusing but I can merely report what I receive from the HQ and it will be kind of everyone to forgive the conflicting description . But it would seem they both agree now that there was no racket during delivery .

Last edited by basuroy : 27th January 2017 at 19:32.
Old 27th January 2017, 21:10   #89
Senior - BHPian

The engine noise in the video sounds normal for diesel to me. I think you need to have a look yourself. Which car did your family own before this?
Old 27th January 2017, 22:06   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The engine noise in the video sounds normal for diesel to me. I think you need to have a look yourself. Which car did your family own before this?
We have at present a swift dzire and Kwid , both petrol. Our only diesel car so far was an Indica - the very first one purchased in 1999 or 2000 .

Our experience test driving cars and in general ; all diesel -
1. S-cross 1.6 . Engine sounded way way more refined than our particular elantra. The test drive was so good that it was almost purchased at one point before mom said she wanted a sedan .
2. Creta both 1.6 and 1.4. We don't recall either car making an abnormal racket , I believe 1.6 is same engine .
3. Skoda laura 5 or 6 years old - dad's friend's car which we drove around to get hang of AT before we paid for the AT version . Butter smooth car. This car is another reference point.
4. Innova - taxis with 50,000 km on odo sound better than our elantra . We often rent innova's when relatives or friends drop by every couple of months and tour on them extensively .

All above mentioned cars while of course making more noise than a petrol had very refined engine and that was the decisive factor behind choosing diesel blindly - we figured if a Maruti s-cross can sound that refined , the hyundai cannot do any worse.

Now I don't know if this is normal or not , we took a leap of faith influenced largely by our experience with diesel of other brands(and the hyundai creta ) in this price range and online reviews to a lesser extent - all of which call the motor very refined. We are not expecting BMW level refinement , our benchmark is an S-cross 1.6 and it fails by a large margin . Even if we are to find out tomorrow that this is normal across entire hyundai elantra range , we will still be left highly disappointed as well as wonder how come this motor could be judged refined by any yardstick except for one perhaps reserved for an Indica . In its present form , it is embarrassing to start the car in company and again I say this without being under the illusion the car should sound like a BMW , all we expected was s-cross level refinement .

Last edited by basuroy : 27th January 2017 at 22:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks