Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2023, 10:17   #346
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjv777 View Post
Hi, has anyone tuned a Elantra, 2017 Petrol Auto model. Which stages, and is it worth tuning the Elantra?
I wouldn't recommend it, considering the engine's lazy character and the fact that the engine itself is an Atkinson cycle engine built from the ground up for efficiency.

It completely comes down to your expectations of what the tune should provide.
ballfry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 06:28   #347
BHPian

On return from family trip from Panchgani wife asked me to stop for some strawberries. This was around 1230 PM and traffic was usual, on seeing a street hawker parked on the skid road.
As we were buying the strawberry’s, my two sons (11years & 3 years) and wife were parked and thankfully still inside the vehicle, it seemed instant but yet a dream a massive blow from back, someone crashed into our vehicle at full speed and the our car due to force was moved to hit the electric pole from the front also.
Shaken, but first was to check if everyone was ok, someone was watching over us and not even a scratch on anyone. An elderly gentlemen with folded hands got out of the vehicle who hit us and his family of elders was shaken themselves & apologetic, and thankfully no injuries at their end also.
Called the cops, did the paperwork and got the vehicle towed to Kanse Motors, Satara to nearest workshop.

Edelweiss - Zuno Insurance
- Called the company the person on the helpline was calm and registered my claim. Asked me if everyone was ok, confirmed on same call that FIR is not required only Panchnama will do. He assured that even if the call drops he will call me back and gave all info as required. Reconfirmed insurance is zero dep however nearest service center is 50kms away and the RSA was not there on my policy and that was minor expense of approx. 5000.
- While on the call I was unable to note details call center was providing, but very promptly the call center was able to email, sms me important phone numbers of RSA, surveyor, body shop etc. truly remarkable helpline. This was my first and only phone call for insurance during this episode.
- From there on ZERO hassle car was fully repaired and total expense was 5.7 lacs out of which my payable was 3.5k only.
- Complete trouble free experience.

Kanse Motors, Satara
- The said they haven’t worked on Elantra, but assured repairs are not mechanical and only sheet metal and plastic parts damaged.
- Fantastic service and fantastic job overall by them and repaired the car in 7 weeks. Mostly waiting period of 3 weeks was for parts.

Hyundai
- Awesome, buying a 23 lac car in 2018 of Hyundai, I was mocked and asked to consider other brands. But i am very happy with the brand and the vehicle, their service has been simply amazing.
- During the accident airbags did not open, I had emailed Hyundai on the day of accident and they said they will test the same. Later, the car was fully tested and I got a road worthiness confirmation from Hyundai Motors on email post which I picked the car from Kanse, Satara.
- On the drive back I faced some minor issues and the car was repicked up by Modi Hyundai who always do a fab job. The car was retested by Hyundai and minor niggles were fixed.

Elantra
- I was never in doubt that we need to fully restore this vehicle and we have more miles to munch together. 5.5 years 50,000 at time of accident.
- Fully restored and resurrected, the best car I have ever owned. And the only vehicle I have owned beyond 5 years.
- Still a head turner, while taking the delivery at Satara, a family was picking up new accent, however all eyeballs were on us and whispers were “Which car is this”
- We have another vehicle Kia Sonet, which is about 1 year old however, never a question to pickup Elantra over sonet for this trip, and probably the most crucial decision which saved us from any bodily harm

My own learnings
- Always take Zero Dep, RSA and other addons, cost spent over years on insurance can be recovered in one bad accident.
- Choose stable vehicle for highway drives. Our family still shudders to thinks what would have happened had we taken the newer sonet over Elantra for the trip.
- Let go, could have recovered some money from the other party in the accident, they were ready to pay some money but just wanted the ordeal to end for both.
- Its ok to stop for strawberry, not sure what awaited us down the road. We were the safety net between the valley and the speeding vehicle of the other family, some debt had to be settled between us maybe.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230705-5.55.16-am-1.jpeg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230705-5.55.16-am-2.jpeg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230705-5.55.16-am.jpeg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230705-5.55.38-am.jpeg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230705-5.56.11-am.jpeg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230705-5.56.12-am-1.jpeg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230705-5.56.12-am-2.jpeg  

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230705-5.56.12-am.jpeg  

Last edited by Sheel : 8th July 2023 at 12:09. Reason: Removing invalid attachments.
DesertRain is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 15:11   #348
BHPian

Very happy to hear a pleasant insurance claim experience, kudos to Edelweiss - Zuno for providing a hassle free and comforting experience during a testing time for the insurer. Definitely would like to know more about how this particular policy and company was chosen.

Speaking about the accident, could you ascertain from the elderly sir as to how he ventured his car that far outside the white lines, that too at a high speed? Was he trying to overtake another vehicle from the wrong side, or did he simply underestimate the turn in and understeered into your vehicle?

Could you have possibly done anything to avoid this shunt, like maybe switching on the hazards while making the quick stop for strawberries, to make your vehicle more visible from a distance? I don't you could have parked the car any better than you already did.

Grateful to God that nobody got physically hurt in this scary incident.
Baristyro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 18:21   #349

This is surely a case of negligent driving by the other party. We all usually carry insurance on new cars and expensive cars.
But the real pain is living without the car while it is being repaired and finding replacement car if your primary commuting car is damaged like this.
ytalekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 18:26   #350
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that no one was hurt and the only hassle was going through the repair process. From the pics, I see that the car could have been parked at a better place since it's just on the edge of the road. It's only my opinion from the pics, I may be totally wrong. Could it have been possible to park the car quite away from the road? Just want to know since the damage looks pretty bad, things could have gone pretty wrong. Thank you.
Raghu M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 10:26   #351
BHPian

Thanks for support and concern from everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baristyro View Post
Definitely would like to know more about how this particular policy and company was chosen.
- Standard Edelweiss 0 Dep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baristyro View Post
how he ventured his car that far outside the white lines, that too at a high speed?
- Their family confirmed they had to cut short their vacation as he was unwell. The night before they had to call the doctor and give him injections. I am assuming it was either due to sugar or blood pressure level.
- He himself admitted he was unwell and wanted to take the driver and his family was requesting not to drive
- He has had similar accident in the past and was not allowed to drive for 3 years.
- There was no attempt to brake and there was no tyre marks or screeching sound before the accident
- He said either he blacked out or his body froze, he could not remember what happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Could it have been possible to park the car quite away from the road?
- Parked on dirt road, not on the tarmac
- Hazard lights were on
- The cops had offered me to file an FIR for negligent driving on the other driver, which had required me to stay on their for 2 more days.
- We can always be much safer, hindsight is 20/20.
DesertRain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 11:26   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRain View Post
- Its ok to stop for strawberry, not sure what awaited us down the road. We were the safety net between the valley and the speeding vehicle of the other family, some debt had to be settled between us maybe.
Quote:
- He has had similar accident in the past and was not allowed to drive for 3 years.
- There was no attempt to brake and there was no tyre marks or screeching sound before the accident
- He said either he blacked out or his body froze, he could not remember what happened
I wonder how many more debts he has yet to settle. My prayers go out to his future victims.

Last edited by pranavt : 8th July 2023 at 11:27.
pranavt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 12:17   #353
Team-BHP Support

Glad you and your family came out unscathed in an incident which had absolutely no fault of yours or your car and thanks for sharing your ordeal.

Quote:
- Their family confirmed they had to cut short their vacation as he was unwell. The night before they had to call the doctor and give him injections. I am assuming it was either due to sugar or blood pressure level.
- He himself admitted he was unwell and wanted to take the driver and his family was requesting not to drive
OT here but :

In case you have any contact or the vehicle details (registration etc), someone needs to be alerted, the authorities, the said gent's family, they need to delve and understand, how it can quickly turn into something tragic for either parties or both. He is not fit to be behind the wheel in his present medical condition.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 16:45   #354
BHPian

Quote:
it seemed instant but yet a dream a massive blow from back, someone crashed into our vehicle at full speed and the our car due to force was moved to hit the electric pole from the front also.
What was the vehicle that crashed into your Elantra? What was the damage to it? Anything about the cause of the accident? What was their explanation?
Old 12th July 2023, 21:36   #355

Any explanation got for non deployed airbags?
Old 21st July 2023, 19:13   #356
BHPian

Great escape for all! The airbags wouldn't have deployed as the seatbelt(driver side) would have been off. Airbags are secondary systems and would get deployed only when the seatbelts are on. As this is a 2018 car, I don't think there would be sensors on both seats and just the driver seat sensor would serve as an input for airbag deployment.
Old 27th July 2023, 03:46   #357
BHPian

Dear All

Responses to some more queries

- Airbags Not Opening - Not sure, as per Hyundai multitude factors mainly that hit was from behind in a diagonal direction. I was in driver seat and was wearing seatbelt, clearly remember seatbelts tightening as vehicle hit from behind, it was a whiplash impact

- Vehicle that hit us - Mahindra Xylo, visibly less damage however vehicle steering and wheels had damage and was not drivable post impact.

- Driver of the vehicle causing damage his license and details etc were submitted to police station and incident report was filed.
Old 6th August 2023, 20:23   #358
BHPian

Need your help with this one bhp'ians
I am currently looking at a used Elantra. MY:2018
diesel sx(o) AT. 2ND owner, done about 38k kms.
I have driven the car and it feels good.
I want to keep the car for 5 years at least

1) What would be a good price for this?
2) are there any particular issues for this model that I need to be on the lookout for?
3) what kind of maintenance costs can I expect to get on avg?
4) what kinda mileage can I expect from this powertrain ?(Driving will be 80% city , 20% highway)

I am currently using a 2014 city petrol mt. I love the ride of this Elantra. But this is my first time going the used car route so I'm quite sceptical and would really find your inputs and experience with the vehicle on the above points of use.
Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 13:29   #359
BHPian

Hey. I just wanted to know if anyone has been able to put a pop and bang map on the 2017 Elantra 2.0 NA. If yes, then which brand worked best. Also, if anyone has fitted a down pipe, from where you fitted it and if there were any issues.
Let me know please
Old 27th October 2023, 18:54   #360
BHPian

All, I was at the ASC today for regular 5th yearly service. I enquired about the warranty for 6th and 7th year, and was told that Hyundai has recently made this option available for Elantra. It costs about 36K for the two years, and up to 100,000 KMs.

I am contemplating would it be worth buying this? My car has done about 40K in the last five years, and the running will come down drastically now (less than 3K a year), due to a new car in the garage.

The last warranty helped me save about a lakh in steering work so the inclination.

Please suggest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks