Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2022, 21:23   #331
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Hi All,

I generally read a lot of posts from Team-BHP. I generally stay away from posting much. I have a Hyundai Elantra 2017 version and I love the car and the naturally aspirated engine. However, from past 6 months i have been facing a strange problem with my Head Unit while connecting to Android Auto.

As soon it connects it says phone not responding, I googled a lot but there isn't any solution, as this car doesn't come with connected car tech, its difficult to use maps and other stuff. I have a note 20 ultra, and a note 10+ both have the same problem. Although, my brother's M30s worked fine for couple of days.

Is anyone else facing a similar problem? (screenshot attached)

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-20220308_100634.jpg
Old 1st May 2022, 07:52   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
Hi All,

I generally read a lot of posts from Team-BHP. I generally stay away from posting much. I have a Hyundai Elantra 2017 version and I love the car and the naturally aspirated engine. However, from past 6 months i have been facing a strange problem with my Head Unit while connecting to Android Auto.

As soon it connects it says phone not responding, I googled a lot but there isn't any solution, as this car doesn't come with connected car tech, its difficult to use maps and other stuff. I have a note 20 ultra, and a note 10+ both have the same problem. Although, my brother's M30s worked fine for couple of days.

Is anyone else facing a similar problem? (screenshot attached)

Attachment 2300863
No havent faced this issue. Try and get headset reset by service.
DesertRain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 12:58   #333
BHPian

Please check your cable - you may need to change it.
Old 8th May 2022, 15:32   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhairavp View Post
Please check your cable - you may need to change it.
Done that. I have changed 3 original cables by now. Doesn't work.
Old 15th May 2022, 10:59   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
Done that. I have changed 3 original cables by now. Doesn't work.
I recently got my headset replaced. Its not covered under warranty.
They quoted 50k, then 25K, but after few emails they brought it down to 0.
Old 20th May 2022, 22:47   #336

My ownership story of 2016 Elantra 2.0 SX(O) AT has been "Fill it, shut it, forget it" so far except for an unforced error from my part while my buddy was less than a month old. Apparently a lamp post right across my quarters has been holding a grudge against me(or my cars) for past 22 years and refused to budge when I reversed my car on to it at 3.00AM on a rainy night , ultimately forcing me to part with my NCB, anyway that is an old story. Apart from routine service and oil changes my only expense was battery replacement at about 30 months which failed after giving sufficient warnings in the form of reluctant starts, in the sense that it took two or three attempts which was in stark contrast to normal when it fires up at the very first attempt every time. I decided to check the battery which was reported faulty and was replaced before it totally gave up.
But today morning when I tried to start my car, it was just a flurry of lights in the MID followed by blinking seat belt warning and an electronic tik,tik,tik... starter was not working. Sometimes it refused to even detect the key. The car has been perfectly fine till the previous day and I was planning to keep this 'no nonsense" car for around 10 years. I believe in the moto "Drive with empathy" even before I came across the Team BHP thread with the same advice (my 2010 Cruze was sold with stock clutch plates after clocking more than 1,50,000 kms). This car is also entirely self driven and with my limited and careful use (57K in Odo, still on original brake pads and Hankook tyres -which I am planning to replace soon despite having a fair amount of tread left, considering its age and enticed by great reviews of Michelin P4ST in the forum), with a dose of TLC it seemed a practical proposition till yesterday. Only concern was limited number of cars on the road, compounded by discontinuation by Hyundai which means spare parts might prove difficult to procure when needed. My extended warranty is already over and I was worried something was seriously amiss. Please have a look at the following short clips which I managed to record and share with my ASS.

They suspected a battery problem advised me to try and jumpstart the vehicle which frankly speaking failed to impress me. My kinship with cars spans over near four decades and am nearing seven digits on odo readings and I thought I understood my machines a dying battery never behaved like this in my experience. However I decided to follow professional advice and to my surprise, it proved right. Retrospectively I remember having read similar opinion regarding faulty battery as a cause of unexplained funnily behaving MID signals in modern cars. The battery dealer was for a trial of charging the present battery, however I chose peace of mind and got a new one taking advantage of 40% pro-rata warranty since the present battery is already nearing the life span of its predecessor. I decided to share the experience in the forum because I found it quite surprising and may benefit someone facing a similar issue in future.
NB: Posting this here since I couldn't find any thread of Ownership experience of 6th generation petrol Elantra Nu 2.0. Request moderators to please shift to any suitable thread if needed.
Mahesh Babu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 13:00   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Babu View Post
....... But today morning when I tried to start my car, it was just a flurry of lights in the MID followed by blinking seat belt warning and an electronic tik,tik,tik... starter was not working.

My kinship with cars spans over near four decades and am nearing seven digits on odo readings and I thought I understood my machines a dying battery never behaved like this in my experience. However I decided to follow professional advice and to my surprise, it proved right.
I have faced a similar issue with my 2016 Elantra as well; the battery has died twice in 4 years without any warning at all! Don't know if this is particular to Elantra or the newer generation of vehicles. When the time had come to replace battery on my 2014 Ertiga, it gave all the expected indications (longer time to crank, failed to start on 1st crank, etc.)

What's even more frustrating that you can't push start an automatic!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 17:41   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Babu View Post
"Fill it, shut it, forget it"
It's just the battery problem. I think it's because of the huge amount of technology which is dependent on battery. Happened twice with me - once when our Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7 AT (15,000 kms and 2 years - at that time) failed to crank at midnight after a dinner, and when our Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 VL CVT (18,000 and 2 years - at that time) took a longer crank, and after a 30 kms drive when it was time to drive back, the battery gave up and the car didn't crank.

The fun part? The battery was so weak both the times that even the boot didn't open and ORVM's got stuck mid-way. On pressing the brakes, the instrument cluster would go off.
Old 24th June 2022, 11:33   #339
BHPian

The Elantra has a fiercely loyal customer base. Any Elantra driver I know would not swap the car for anything else. Most people who drive other cars are unable to fathom this love for the Elantra, and it is sad that Hyundai has discontinued the car in India.

Throughout our many years of companionship, I have come to realise why we all love the Elantra so much: She has a personality. She has her quirks. She has her moods. She may be many things, but the one thing she is not is boring. Yes, there will be those moments when the MID lights up and she refuses to start. There may be moments when the stereo refuses to turn off or stays stuck on a static radio channel. But all these have a fairly easy fix.

The fuse conductor. Yes, Brigadier Suryadev Singh used the very same technology to disable Pralaynath Gundaswami's missiles. Tirangaa was way ahead of its times when it came to tech. The good thing is that Hyundai adopted that tech in the Elantra.

Whenever there is a problem with electricals / instrument cluster / stereo, the one thing every Elantra owner must do is open the fuse box. Within that, there will be a fairly large master fuse removing which turns off every electrical connection in the car. Wait 60 seconds and put the master fuse back. Voila! It will be as if the problem never existed.

Of course, every Elantra comes with its own set of moods and your mileage may vary.

Last edited by lucifer1881 : 24th June 2022 at 11:35.
Old 15th August 2022, 02:21   #340
BHPian

Any info on the current gen Elantra? Will Hyundai bring it to our market?
Although I don’t have high hopes regarding the price - even if they launch it here, they’ll sure as hell overprice it, like the Tucson.
Old 28th August 2022, 18:49   #341
BHPian

Dear all,

I have spotted a Hyundai Elantra 2.0 Petrol SX(O) - 2017 model with 16K on Odo.

The dealer has quoted 12.5L for it. I am yet to see the car and discuss any negotiations.

But before I do that, would like to have input on the below points.
1. What will be a good price for the car?
2. What mileage I can expect in City & on the highway? - I am currently using a 2012 Honda City. Just want to know if it will be any lesser than what I am getting with my Honda City which is 12 kmpl.
3. What's the annual maintenance cost?
4. What's the safety rating of Elantra that was sold in India?

Inputs will be highly appreciated as it will enable me to take the right decision.
mach2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 13:38   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach2 View Post
Dear all,

I have spotted a Hyundai Elantra 2.0 Petrol SX(O) - 2017 model with 16K on Odo.

The dealer has quoted 12.5L for it. I am yet to see the car and discuss any negotiations.

But before I do that, would like to have input on the below points.
1. What will be a good price for the car?
2. What mileage I can expect in City & on the highway? - I am currently using a 2012 Honda City. Just want to know if it will be any lesser than what I am getting with my Honda City which is 12 kmpl.
3. What's the annual maintenance cost?
4. What's the safety rating of Elantra that was sold in India?

Inputs will be highly appreciated as it will enable me to take the right decision.
Will be happy to answer some of your queries since even I moved on from Honda City (2012) to a brand new Elantra SX(O) Petrol in 2017:

2) Mileage is definitely less that City. You should get about 9 kmph if you are lucky. Remember that the Elantra has a 2.0L engine.

3) Regular service costs of Elantra are not too much. Mine had 4 years free service built in when new. However, parts like grill, bumper, lights, etc are exorbitant. For example, the grill alone costs about Rs 40,000. So would highly recommend zero dep insurance.

Hope this helps!
siddd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 13:19   #343
BHPian

All, have a October 2018 Elantra - SxO, AT, Petrol.

The machine has been a pleasure to drive in these many years, and now when the car is entering its fifth year at about 35K on Odo, my last trip to ASC led to the following - will be grateful if you could provide your thoughts:

1) The SA mentioned that during the test drive they heard sound from the steering - and thinks that steering column and rack should be replaced. I cannot hear any sound and the steering appears to be fine to me. The car is under warranty, and this should not cost me anything (please correct me if I am wrong here). I am not sure if I should get this done - two reasons for this apprehension - the SA i thought, in the last service, wanted to have an inflated bill and added multiple items which i got removed. This steering issue was his assessment, and told me that this replacement may come up in future. However, when i mentioned that the car is under warranty, he immediately picked this up. Is this normal to have steering issues in this car at such ODO readings - should one go with replacement. How much time does it generally take, and how does one know if the job has been done well?

2) Post the normal service, i can hear a sound from the AC vents - as if something is stuck - goes away after some time. the AC filter was replaced in the service.. And also now the sound insulation of the car has become poorer, along with poor FE (dipped from 11-12 to 7-8 kmpl).

I will be grateful for your thoughts for the above two.
Old 27th February 2023, 17:47   #344

2023 Hyundai Elantra facelift revealed in South Korea

https://paultan.org/2023/02/27/2023-...n-south-korea/

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-poeunpdp5nka1.jpg

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-im4stfjp5nka1.jpg
svdxb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 09:33   #345
BHPian

Hi, has anyone tuned a Elantra, 2017 Petrol Auto model. Which stages, and is it worth tuning the Elantra?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks