Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2017, 20:37   #166
CDM
BHPian

Re: Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review

I am planning to get myself a V-Cross and use it as an expedition vehicle. My trusty Innova which had taken me all over India from Ladakh to Kutch had approached the 10 year mark and had to let it go.

I test drove the V-Cross and did not find the ride all that bad (despite my having a back issue) altough it does not come near the Innova.

Wanted advice on upgrading the tyres wihout compromising the ride comfort or suspension dynamics. I was thinking of two options; first, same size AT tyres (245 X 70, R16) and second, 265 X 70, R16, again AT tyres.

Also, does anyone have any knowledge about who is offering good quality canopies / lids as the ones available in Delhi are rather crude.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

CDM
Old 3rd April 2017, 07:07   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
I am planning to get myself a V-Cross and use it as an expedition vehicle. My trusty Innova which had taken me all over India from Ladakh to Kutch had approached the 10 year mark and had to let it go.

I test drove the V-Cross and did not find the ride all that bad (despite my having a back issue) altough it does not come near the Innova.

Wanted advice on upgrading the tyres wihout compromising the ride comfort or suspension dynamics. I was thinking of two options; first, same size AT tyres (245 X 70, R16) and second, 265 X 70, R16, again AT tyres.

Also, does anyone have any knowledge about who is offering good quality canopies / lids as the ones available in Delhi are rather crude.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

CDM
You may consider waiting for the Isuzu Mu-x which is getting launched on May 11. That will offer greater comfort and is a seven seater and has a rear multi link suspension instead of leaf springs.

For the Vcross, good canopies from Carryboy are available with Azad4x4 but they are expensive.

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd April 2017 at 07:08.
Old 4th April 2017, 13:00   #168
CDM
BHPian

@Behemoth, thanks.

The V-Cross is going to be my second car and I want to keep the costs as down as possible. The Mu-X will be at least 10 lakhs more on road and from its reviews I am not sure if it provides that much more benefit.

I had the Fortuner in my sights but thought that the V-Cross is lot more value for money and a funky vehicle to own.

For someone going quickly through middle age, I thought this was the correct time to enjoy a V-Cross!

CDM
CDM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 16:10   #169
BHPian

Guys any one hearing news of Isuzu launching the new V Cross with 1.9 litre 164 bhp around September in India
Old 5th April 2017, 16:17   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys any one hearing news of Isuzu launching the new V Cross with 1.9 litre 164 bhp around September in India
Probably not going to happen given the low numbers and total investments done by Isuzu on manufacturing 2,5 Ltr Engine. I can foresee this around 2020 when we shift to Euro 6

Quote:
I am planning to get myself a V-Cross and use it as an expedition vehicle.
Many guys are using this for the same purpose as you have described.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th April 2017 at 22:23. Reason: Mention of WhatsApp group deleted
Old 5th April 2017, 16:57   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Probably not going to happen given the low numbers and total investments done by Isuzu on manufacturing 2,5 Ltr Engine. I can foresee this around 2020 when we shift to Euro 6
You mean to say they manufacture the engines here, I thought they imported and assembled them here. So 2020 will be the new launch for Euro 6.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th April 2017 at 08:16. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 10th April 2017, 14:15   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
....I got to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the how nimble and manageable this vehicle is despite the length.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
BINGO!! and little more of power would make it perfect! Everyone was complaining about the size of the vehicle and always discouraged me, but after i did the test drive, these ^^ were my exact thoughts...
A casual visit to the ISuzu showroom in Delhi followed by a decently long test drive yesterday has pleasantly surprised me and I more or less have the same type of opinion. In a nutshell, in a purely subjective opinion, this is a notch above in terms of quality & feeling of ruggedness compared to the Indian made SUVs i was scouting around. Though this vehicle is in a different segment but with a bit of compromise it could serve as a reliable long distance 4x4 family tourer, and there are solutions to upgrade few of the things to make it more comfortable.

The OEM head unit accessory with reverse camera is being offered in additional 36K but misses navigation and not too good in terms of quality, probably an aftermarket add on will be better.
One thing which is sorely missed is the better tyre and I think the Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA 111T, having the similar size will be a good, less-expensive upgrade? Anyone has any views on this vis-a-vis the Geolanders?

Quote:
I think if they price the MUX correctly they have a winner on their hands.
It is probably going to be priced around 28L category and should provide some good competition to the established players in the similar & above price segment

Last edited by Kandisa : 10th April 2017 at 14:18.
Old 10th April 2017, 20:43   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
The OEM head unit accessory with reverse camera is being offered in additional 36K but misses navigation and not too good in terms of quality, probably an aftermarket add on will be better.
This pretty much a dealer installed accessory. The dealer in my town will install any system of your choice. Most people are choosing models with NAV.
Old 10th April 2017, 21:38   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This pretty much a dealer installed accessory. The dealer in my town will install any system of your choice. Most people are choosing models with NAV.
Yes they claim it to be either Fujitsu or Blaupunkt make.
Thats good gesture at the dealer's end. Could you share some of those not so expensive HU models with navigation, compatible with the in-built steering control? Also is the reverse camera fitted after drilling in the rear bumper, (which is made of metal)?
Old 14th April 2017, 18:16   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree with you. I drive both and find the ride good enough on the Vcross with and without load. With some load on the bed, it just flattens everything in its way

Quote:
I use Continental CrossContact AT 255/65R16 and find them very good. The design adds to the ruggedness of the car.

Last edited by Alfresco : 14th April 2017 at 18:17.
Old 19th April 2017, 16:49   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
Totally agree with you. I drive both and find the ride good enough on the Vcross with and without load. With some load on the bed, it just flattens everything in its way
The ride quality in the 2nd row is bit of concern because of the leaf-spring set up.

Quote:
..I use Continental CrossContact AT 255/65R16 and find them very good. The design adds to the ruggedness of the car.
If you don't mind, could you share the cost and source of the same. Also any idea whether changing the tyre spec (255/65 vs 245/70) has any adverse effect on the warranty related to suspension components?
Old 19th April 2017, 19:02   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
The ride quality in the 2nd row is bit of concern because of the leaf-spring set up.

If you don't mind, could you share the cost and source of the same. Also any idea whether changing the tyre spec (255/65 vs 245/70) has any adverse effect on the warranty related to suspension components?
I got them exchanged at the dealer's at Jaipur when taking delivery. The dealer was selling oversize tyres also but the one i bought is within size specs of the originals. He charged 20k for a set of 5 as replacement charges. These are imported tyres.

I like keeping replacement stuff within manufacturer specified ranges. Does not mess up the longevity of the parts.

You shall notice a definite improvement in the ride quality. There is no adverse effect in the warranty.
Alfresco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 13:41   #178
BHPian

Just finished a Road trip from Mumbai - Mukteshwar (Uttarakhand) - Mumbai. This was my 3rd road trip in 7 months since I bought the V-cross, previous ones being Ranthambore (Rajasthan) and Kanha (MP). Started from Mumbai on 16th April 2017 and returned back on 29th April 2017. Wife and 2 kids flew to Delhi.

As expected V-cross performed flawlessly and proved to be an ultimate highway cruiser. The AC kept cool through Rajasthan and Delhi and with a lot of luggage at the back the ride was very smooth.

I did 1150 Kms on the last day straight from Jaipur to Mumbai and the only thing hurting is my right foot. One complaint I have is the short range of the V-cross, the tank capacity should have been 80 liters instead of 55 Liters.

I will let the relevant pictures do the talking. Sorry No travelogue for this trip.

Start Odometer reading

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-start-odo.jpg

Luggage

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-luggage.jpg

The new bridge at Bharuch

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-new-bharuch-bridge.jpg

Sunrise at Udaipur

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-udaipur-jaipur-highway.jpg

Parking with a view, we had an Airbnb cottage for 7 days

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-parking-1.jpg

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-parking-2.jpg

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-parking-3.jpg

Parking at Naukuchiatal lake

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-parking-naukucjital.jpg

Total Trip Kms and average speed

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-trip-kms.jpg

Odometer reading at the end of the trip

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-end-odo.jpg

Total driving time

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-trip-driving-time.jpg

Overall Average

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-end-average.jpg

To sum it up I couldn't be happier with the V-cross, it has change my lifestyle
tazmaan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 08:20   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Just finished a Road trip from Mumbai - Mukteshwar (Uttarakhand) - Mumbai.....As expected V-cross performed flawlessly and proved to be an ultimate highway cruiser. The AC kept cool through Rajasthan and Delhi and with a lot of luggage at the back the ride was very smooth.
Great to know. Any issues at the inter-state check posts or Toll booths?

Quote:
..One complaint I have is the short range of the V-cross, the tank capacity should have been 80 liters instead of 55 Liters...
Very true. For a vehicle which is most suitable for overlanding over large distances, 55 litres of fuel tank is indeed too small.

Quote:
..To sum it up I couldn't be happier with the V-cross, it has change my lifestyle
Old 30th April 2017, 09:30   #180
BHPian

Good to see you have fun with your V Cross. You are indeed putting it to good use.
How has service experience with Isuzu been? Can you please share cost of service and parts cost etc?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks