Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2019, 21:29   #271
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review

Crossing 12000 kms on My Ameo brings a smile to my face!

My daily ride and the reason I actually look forward to driving anywhere. One long drive to Goa and Hyderabad each with a full load and with the AC on for 100% of the journey and the mileage did not drop below 20 kmpl. Punchy when you press your foot on the accelerator and frugal on my daily drive (15 kmpl) to the office.

The stability and planted feeling that I get when pushing hard is not comparable to any Indian car if you ask me. With the first paid service due soon, I hope the bill does not make me faint!

The only modifications I have done till date are to the Audio setup. Having a manual Trendline model, one of my first priorities was to get the infotainment system setup the way I wanted without voiding the warranty and I was fortunate enough to get someone who could do it right.

A Blaupunkt Saint Louis HU, with a JBL amp, Blaupunkt Component speakers (2 pairs) and a Blaupunkt Sub makes my daily 30 minute commute the best time of my day!

The VW dealer discouraged me from upgrading to alloys and I have stuck to the stock steel wheels which are not too bad, but I intend to up size and get a neat set of alloys when the tyres are due for a change. Any suggestions?
t3ofil4us is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 21:11   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen to axe AMEO as BS6 kicks in - April 2020.

Quote:
Scarred by the Dieselgate scandal, VW has made a conscious decision to move away from diesel engines, and the infamous EA189 1.5 diesel would not be upgraded to BS6. This, in effect, will remove every small diesel car from the VW (and Skoda) range. But while the Vento and Polo will be powered by a new BS6 petrol engine family, the carmaker has decided to axe the Ameo altogether as part of a model rationalisation. Again, the Ameo isn’t shared with Skoda and volumes are too small to justify the cost of upgrading it with new engines

Link
Old 20th October 2019, 21:54   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen to axe AMEO as BS6 kicks in - April 2020.
Really sad news of 2019 for me and other Ameo owners. Not many appreciate the positives of this car.

However, there is a lot of part sharing so maintaining it won't be an issue. Moreover, the axe of diesel engines mean the current ones may fetch a better resale value especially TDI DSG ones.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 23:10   #274
BHPian

Just wanted to post this after hearing the news of axing of Ameo

After owning and driving the Ameo 1.2L Higline for 3 years and 48000 kms going on long highway trips of more than 1500 kms, I have to say that this car is a hidden gem and has given no problems, so far. The Volkswagen service centre in Vadodara has also been excellent and the service costs are also reasonable. The car feels planted even and 100+ speeds, and after some time the vocal tone of the engine also grows upon you. Ameo is the car on which I learnt to drive and it will always be close to my heart.
Some long highway trips:-
1. Vadodara to Wayanad via Bangalore and
Mysore
2. Vadodara to Varanasi
3. Vadodara to Mumbai and Pune(5 times)

Not planning to sell this vehicle, even after buying the Hector as this car has grown upon me and my father.

Ps:- No breakdowns and bad experiences at the service centre so far. In short my first Volkswagen purchase has no complaints.
msd7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 14:46   #275
Senior - BHPian

Anyone please guide what the right model number Bilstien B12 for Ameo TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
It has its short comings but nothing which a remap and suspension upgrade can’t solve.

Attachment 1880910
Nice short review.
Old 17th December 2019, 22:25   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Anyone please guide what the right model number Bilstien B12 for Ameo TDI
You may have to ask the same in the Polo GT TSI thread. You can find some activity there. Like in real world, Ameo has failed to create a buzz even on social media platform.
Old 20th December 2019, 07:52   #277
BHPian

Is l it a good idea to buy Ameo now? One showroom is offering the Ameo Diesel DSG for 10.5, may be if negotiated hard, it may come close to 10L on road price. Car is manufactured in 2019 September. Suggestions?
Old 20th December 2019, 08:17   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Is l it a good idea to buy Ameo now? One showroom is offering the Ameo Diesel DSG for 10.5, may be if negotiated hard, it may come close to 10L on road price. Car is manufactured in 2019 September. Suggestions?
Why not? There are just rumours of Ameo manufacturing been ceased. VW has invested nearly 700 crores on Ameo and it has not even been 5 years since then.

At 10.00 Lakhs on road for an Ameo DSG is a steal. The only con I can see it is the rear seat but then it is only marginally lesser than the cramped Polo GT TSI. Another con is the looks, but that is subjective.

I have been owning one since 6 months now. I got it at 11.3 Lakhs on road so at 10 Lakhs it would be the best decision to buy.

The monthly running is around 1500 Kms and have been getting an average of 17.5 Kmpl which is good considering most of the time it is driven within Mumbai and AC switched on.

The service is expensive but if you are smart enough with the service guys, you can knock off unwanted costs.

Here is my Ameo DSG in Lapiz Blue. Love it!
Attached Images

VWAllstar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 08:21   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Why not? There are just rumours of Ameo manufacturing been ceased. VW has invested nearly 700 crores on Ameo and it has not even been 5 years since then.

At 10.00 Lakhs on road for an Ameo DSG is a steal. The only con I can see it is the rear seat but then it is only marginally lesser than the cramped Polo GT TSI. Another con is the looks, but that is subjective.

I have been owning one since 6 months now. I got it at 11.3 Lakhs on road so at 10 Lakhs it would be the best decision to buy.

The monthly running is around 1500 Kms and have been getting an average of 17.5 Kmpl which is good considering most of the time it is driven within Mumbai and AC switched on.

The service is expensive but if you are smart enough with the service guys, you can knock off unwanted costs.

Here is my Ameo DSG in Lapiz Blue. Love it!
Thank you for the quick response!

How is the overall maintenance cost so far for you? Also I'm currently using Punto Diesel variant and tired of the engine clatter. How bad is the engine noise esp inside the cabin?
Old 20th December 2019, 08:30   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response!

How is the overall maintenance cost so far for you? Also I'm currently using Punto Diesel variant and tired of the engine clatter. How bad is the engine noise esp inside the cabin?
The average service cost for Ameo DSG is around 12k. I too have apprehensions about spare part replacements in the future. Hopefully everything holds up for long and replacement costs are not sky rocketed.

The engine noise is evident inside the cabin at low rpms and till it gets to the optimum temperature. With music and windows rolled up there won't be much trouble. Vibrations are almost nill as the car is built like a tank and from one rock.

Punto diesel noise is lesser than that of Ameo's however at higher rpms mjd become coarse. The torque helps in Ameo to keep the noise in check.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 20th December 2019 at 08:33.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 08:40   #281
BHPian

Quote:
The average service cost for Ameo DSG is around 12k. I too have apprehensions about spare part replacements in the future. Hopefully everything holds up for long and replacement costs are not sky rocketed.

The engine noise is evident inside the cabin at low rpms and till it gets to the optimum temperature. With music and windows rolled up there won't be much trouble. Vibrations are almost nill as the car is built like a tank and from one rock.

Punto diesel noise is lesser than that of Ameo's however at higher rpms mjd become coarse. The torque helps in Ameo to keep the noise in check.
I was originally interested in looking at Polo GT TSI, when i casually enquired about the Ameo got this info. Now I'm not sure. Having used Punto for close to 9 years, I'm somehow not sure about a diesel engine again. Esp in the last couple of years my car has become more vocal.
I'll think over this weekend and take a call. I'm also thinking if venue diesel is a good option. But at 13L it's expensive! There is a 50k discount available on it as well.
punto_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 08:44   #282
BHPian

Quote:
I was originally interested in looking at Polo GT TSI, when i casually enquired about the Ameo got this info. Now I'm not sure. Having used Punto for close to 9 years, I'm somehow not sure about a diesel engine again. Esp in the last couple of years my car has become more vocal.
I'll think over this weekend and take a call. I'm also thinking if venue diesel is a good option. But at 13L it's expensive! There is a 50k discount available on it as well.
If you have a monthly running of above 1500 kms in city then go ahead with diesel. Even though there is less difference in both fuels these days, the mileage you get from a diesel if driven carefully is stupendous. I guess owning a punto mjd, you may be well aware of the benefits of a frugal engine.

Venue is over priced. If you need a diesel automatic then there is nothing better than Ameo under 12 Lakhs. If you can afford the petrol expense then Polo GT TSI is more fun to drive.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 08:50   #283
BHPian

My monthly running as it stands is going to be less than 1000 kms per month. I'm more keen on long drives, maybe two per year. I love the diesel engine and Diesel DSG at 10 L sounded too good, Polo GT TSI is 11L in comparison! Need to think clearly over this weekend.
Old 20th December 2019, 09:01   #284
BHPian

Quote:
My monthly running as it stands is going to be less than 1000 kms per month. I'm more keen on long drives, maybe two per year. I love the diesel engine and Diesel DSG at 10 L sounded too good, Polo GT TSI is 11L in comparison! Need to think clearly over this weekend.
Go with the Polo GT TSI then. It is fun to drive. With some good suspensions it will be able to stick to the road like a glue.

The handling is not as good as your puntos', but with mine I have added an underbody protector to my Ameo. The additional weight of the diesel engine and the accessory has helped me improve the road mannerism.

There are few Linea Tjets also available with Landmark. If you are well versed with FASS and have a known Fiat service guys then it would be a steal as well. A friend picked up at 8.5 Lakhs on road.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 09:10   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Go with the Polo GT TSI then. It is fun to drive. With some good suspensions it will be able to stick to the road like a glue.

The handling is not as good as your puntos', but with mine I have added an underbody protector to my Ameo. The additional weight of the diesel engine and the accessory has helped me improve the road mannerism.

There are few Linea Tjets also available with Landmark. If you are well versed with FASS and have a known Fiat service guys then it would be a steal as well. A friend picked up at 8.5 Lakhs on road.
No Fiat again, I dont want to run into spare parts issues after a few years now that they have shut shop.

I'll think about Polo GT TSI vs Ameo DSG over the weekend. It's going to be stressful for sure!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks