Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2016, 21:49   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post

Have deliveries for the Highline DSG model started in Bangalore?
I have seen atlas 2 Ameo TDIs on road in Bangalore in the last 1 week, and in 2 different shades.

One of them was a Blue and though I can't seem to remember the other colour accurately, I distinctly remember seeing the TDI badge at the rear with "I" in Red colour.

This I believe is the TDI DSG variant.
Vik0728 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 19:44   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

This is how VW's Ameo seen cannibalizing its sibling- Polo. Overall total numbers/ day seem to not have increased!

@ a VW dealership,
Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review-20161125_102512.jpg
Old 27th November 2016, 14:17   #168
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Ameo Automatic yesterday. Didn't find it impressive at all. Visually, the car sits lower, I guess. Touch screen inside is size too small. The leather wrapped handle seemed very thin, with hard to reach/press horn. Rear space compromised by the big AC blower (not even a full AC unit).

The normal D mode seemed too lethargic in low speed, and too jerky at high speeds. The so called sports mode was changing gears properly, I felt. I am not used to automatics, and have test riden CVT before this, so please take my review with a pinch of salt. But somehow, didn't find the experience involving. I was rather bored at the end of the test ride.

The service was good, and I was given a long test ride, so thumbs up for service. Unfortunately the vehicle itself wasn't upto my liking. I couldn't justify the cost of 10-11 lakhs for automatic from a user perspective.
Old 28th November 2016, 17:25   #169
BHPian

Hey guys,

Question for people who have driven the Ameo diesel manual and/or Polo GT TDI (or even the regular TDI)

I took a test drive of the Ameo, and found the clutch travel to be really long and very inconvenient for driving in traffic. Is it the same in all the cars that have the same engine? Like the Polo GT TDI, and the Rapid? Or are the clutches more manageable? I'm upgrading from a Ford Figo 1.4 TDCi, and find that clutch length to be perfect where I can just heel-toe instead of physically lifting my left foot off the ground for each shift. Ideally looking for a manual with similar clutch play.

I've been trying to organise test drives for these forever, but the GT TDI just isn't available, and Skoda refuses to call me back
Old 28th November 2016, 19:52   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebanaff View Post
I took a test drive of the Ameo, and found the clutch travel to be really long and very inconvenient for driving in traffic. Is it the same in all the cars that have the same engine? Like the Polo GT TDI, and the Rapid? Or are the clutches more manageable?
Yes. The clutch travel will be a bit long in GT TDI when compared to your Figo. Even the regular TDI is no different to GT TDI. Added to the clutch travel, the dead pedal obstruction during clutch depress causes more discomfort.

Never had a chance to experience this in a Rapid.
Old 28th November 2016, 22:16   #171
BHPian

Zebanaff, not that I'm a test driver of sort's for the famed brands, but the heel & toe practice is not something that I have heard of from any of the fanatic's that I have known. I have no clue how you manage it, I would never recommend it to anyone, the clutch in NOT meant to be ridden, let it breathe. To add, I'm sure you are looking for the Ameo, gun it, Rapid might turn out to be a misnomer.

Last edited by Torquedo : 28th November 2016 at 22:20.
Old 29th November 2016, 13:44   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Zebanaff, not that I'm a test driver of sort's for the famed brands, but the heel & toe practice is not something that I have heard of from any of the fanatic's that I have known. I have no clue how you manage it, I would never recommend it to anyone, the clutch in NOT meant to be ridden, let it breathe. To add, I'm sure you are looking for the Ameo, gun it, Rapid might turn out to be a misnomer.
I think you misunderstood what I meant, or maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. My foot obviously isn't on the clutch when I'm driving all throughout! What I mean is that when I have to shift gears repeatedly (like in bumper to bumper traffic), the travel of my clutch is short enough that I can do those shifts without lifting my foot off the ground (I have very large feet), so it's a lot more comfortable.

However, for the Ameo in traffic, because of the long clutch travel, it required me move my entire left leg each time, which is a bit of a task in traffic. My knee ended up hitting the steering wheel.
Old 30th November 2016, 08:36   #173
BHPian

Does the Ameo have full underbody cladding? Could not find any pictures of the underbody to check this. Do we need to put some underbody protection coating like that offered by 3M?
Old 30th November 2016, 10:50   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Does the Ameo have full underbody cladding? Could not find any pictures of the underbody to check this.
I assume you need this detail for a TDI. The pictures available in Page 1 of this thread has the underbody picture of the petrol variant. I did not find it on a TDI when I checked in the showroom but no photos to share here.
Old 30th November 2016, 11:49   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post
I assume you need this detail for a TDI. The pictures available in Page 1 of this thread has the underbody picture of the petrol variant. I did not find it on a TDI when I checked in the showroom but no photos to share here.
Yes, this is for a TDI. If there is no cladding, underbody coating becomes necessary for Bangalore roads
Old 30th November 2016, 15:33   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is for a TDI. If there is no cladding, underbody coating becomes necessary for Bangalore roads
Not sure of the Ameo but the Polo comes with a rough road package (it was there in the HL variant which was brought for the test drive) from the factory and there is not much exposed for under body coating. Since Ameo is based on the Polo, I am guessing it should be available in the Ameo too.
Old 2nd December 2016, 18:57   #177
Senior - BHPian

Motorbeam have just posted a 0-100 timing for all the available powertrains/engines on the Ameo.

Ameo 1.5 TDI MT - 9.89s

Ameo 1.5 TDI DSG - 9.92s

Ameo 1.2 MPI MT - 14.20

Bottomline is, 1.5 TDI MT is nearly 5s quicker to the ton compared to the 1.2 MT!!
Vik0728 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 08:31   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebanaff View Post

However, for the Ameo in traffic, because of the long clutch travel, it required me move my entire left leg each time, which is a bit of a task in traffic. My knee ended up hitting the steering wheel.
I felt this too when I went to see the Ameo PETROL in the showroom. The clutch was unusually long - I was initially considering the Ameo but for this and the rear space, I've put it off for now. Perhaps the DSG is the only variant worth considering
quadmaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 09:22   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Motorbeam have just posted a 0-100 timing for all the available powertrains/engines on the Ameo.

Ameo 1.5 TDI MT - 9.89s

Ameo 1.5 TDI DSG - 9.92s

Ameo 1.2 MPI MT - 14.20
Ameo is fast, no doubt regarding it. But Motor Beam V Box numbers are not real. I doubt if it's proper V Box run itself. There would be speedo error for every car, but Motor beam V Box is always 100 percent accurate with speedo . They are using stop watch timing of speedo and just showing it as V Box.
Old 13th December 2016, 14:59   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
I felt this too when I went to see the Ameo PETROL in the showroom. The clutch was unusually long - I was initially considering the Ameo but for this and the rear space, I've put it off for now. Perhaps the DSG is the only variant worth considering
Exactly! There is nothing much on offer in Ameo, and the DSG is the only variant worth considering. The interiors are cramped compared to Aspire. The Ameo Highline DSG variant retails for 11.5L OTR in Bangalore. I dropped the idea of purchasing it.
Only if Aspire launches a Titanium AT variant in diesel and price it a 20-30k premium amount over Titanium+, that would definitely see a lot of potential buyers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks