Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2016, 09:45   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

I have this weird issue - when I am slightly fast approaching a speed bump and I hit the brake, even if I slow down enough there is this sound like loose plastic rubbing on the wheel. The car is certainly not bottoming out.

Just wondering if others have seen this.

Also wondering if it is the ABS kicking in.

Finally, is it just me or is the ABS on the crysta slightly less sophisticated than normal? Seems to engage a lot faster & harder than my Duster or Duke.

Another question, seeking you opinion: I am hitting the 5k service and am thinking of getting the engine oil replaced. Basically because it feels weird not to replace oil on a new car for 10k. SHould I just replace at 10k and save money or am I being prudent and saving future damage by spending money now?

Last edited by sridhu : 20th October 2016 at 09:47.
Old 20th October 2016, 09:48   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Oil replacement is done every 10k kms? Or is it every 5k kms service?

Service costs looks reasonable otherwise for a 20L vehicle.
Oil & oil filter replacement every 10,000Kms only. The 5000Km service is like a checkup visit, nothing major is done at 5K visit.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 13:13   #513
BHPian

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I have this weird issue - when I am slightly fast approaching a speed bump and I hit the brake, even if I slow down enough there is this sound like loose plastic rubbing on the wheel. The car is certainly not bottoming out.

Finally, is it just me or is the ABS on the crysta slightly less sophisticated than normal? Seems to engage a lot faster & harder than my Duster or Duke.

Another question, seeking you opinion: I am hitting the 5k service and am thinking of getting the engine oil replaced. Basically because it feels weird not to replace oil on a new car for 10k. SHould I just replace at 10k and save money or am I being prudent and saving future damage by spending money now?

Yes. you need really sharp ears to hear that sound. It sounds like a typical electronic gadget in action. I guess that happens during Esp or Ebd at work.

The Abs kicks in late as compared to other cars, which is not essentially a bad thing.

I would strongly recommend to get it replaced at 5k. 10k for a new engine is too much. I changed it in my 2.4 with 7 litres of Idemitsu 5W30. The engine felt smoother and more rev happy after the oil change. I will change it at 10k too and after that will follow the company recommended intervals. No plans for synthetic though.

After-all, it never hurts to pamper a bit your new engine😊.

Last edited by sudeep.pandya : 20th October 2016 at 13:18.
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:54   #514
Senior - BHPian

Where is the OBD port in the Crysta? Just borrowed a friend's obd dongle and want to try it out.
Old 23rd October 2016, 14:37   #515
BANNED

Quote:
Where is the OBD port in the Crysta? Just borrowed a friend's obd dongle and want to try it out.
Should be located near the drivers foot well. May be behind the knee airbags area.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 11:46   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Steering wheel shake on braking noticeable in video. Its not easy to capture it in video but it can be felt while braking from higher speeds, if braking is gradual, if stomped on the pedal its not as much noticeable.
I had the EXACT same issue with my Fortuner(automatic) at about 35,000 Kms,the problem was only solved after the front brake discs were replaced.The car is now at about 85,000 Kms and the vibrations have not returned yet,fingers crossed.
We did have to pay for the discs even though the car was still under warranty.

Last edited by Abhishek3001 : 24th October 2016 at 11:47. Reason: Spelling error
Old 25th October 2016, 08:37   #517
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if this has been posted here before, but here's the new bumper accessory for the Crysta.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20161025wa0001.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20161025wa0002.jpg

This piece will be added on top of the OEM bumper, and me thinks it improves the looks a lot. Costs about 14k including body colour painting.

This is not a Toyota genuine accessory.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20161025wa0004.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20161025wa0005.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20161025wa0006.jpg

This angle is not flattering.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th October 2016 at 10:45. Reason: B2B posts merged.
samaspire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 09:57   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Could be

1. Grit/gravel on the brake discs
2. Stabilizer bar (if the noise is coming on speed breakers upon compression/decompression)

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 08:46   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Don't know if this has been posted here before, but here's the new bumper accessory for the Crysta.

Attachment 1570334

Attachment 1570335
Is this supplied at the dealer ship or outside?
Old 26th October 2016, 08:52   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed5579 View Post
Is this supplied at the dealer ship or outside?
I got this photo from a dealership, so I guess they are installing it before delivery.

- Sam
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 13:55   #521
Senior - BHPian

I have a query on the fuel for the Crysta. I fill only Shell petrol for my cars given the superior quality hence thought would go in for Shell diesel for the new Innova Crysta my uncle had bought. However, while taking delivery of the vehicle, the sales person strongly advised not to go in for Shell diesel as it was not recommended by Toyota. This came to me as a shock hence want to check with Crysta owners if they have heard the same with their dealers.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 14:24   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have a query on the fuel for the Crysta. I fill only Shell petrol for my cars given the superior quality hence thought would go in for Shell diesel for the new Innova Crysta my uncle had bought. However, while taking delivery of the vehicle, the sales person strongly advised not to go in for Shell diesel as it was not recommended by Toyota. This came to me as a shock hence want to check with Crysta owners if they have heard the same with their dealers.
None that I heard of from my dealer. I am filling the diesel from Shell Fuel Stations only ever since I bought the Crysta. I filled at other fuel stations (COCO) only when I was out on the highway or when there was no shell fuel station available (Hyd, etc..)
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 14:50   #523
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tri Mulyantono drops the following email. Innova owners, please respond:

Quote:
Dear BHP Team,

Greetings from Indonesia!

My name is Tri and I’ve been one of your readers for several years. I'm sure you're not surprised to have fans here

The reason why I’m reaching out to you is to find out whether you hear any complaints from the all new 2016 Toyota Innova users in India. As you can see, Indonesian online media is swarmed with news regarding several issues on the new Innova that was found by tens to hundreds of users:

1. The AWR6B45 automatic transmission (used by 1TR, 2TR, 1GD and 2GD engines) behaves erratically. It is often jerky when gliding (when the driver lifts his foot from the gas pedal and uses up the momentum to keep the car forward) around 40-80 km/h. This happens because the transmission upshifts to reduce fuel consumption. It also often downshifts and causes the engine to rev up unnecessarily.

2. When engine temperature is below operating temp, the turbo attached to 2GD engines produces a whirring sound just like the sound of a kettle full of boiling water or like a wornout bearing. In fact, one user dismantled his turbo and found out that the blade is wobbling in all directions, proof that the bearing is worn out.

3. There have been several occurrences where the engine is not responding according to pedal movement. In two occurrences in AT transmission, the car is accelerating for around 10 seconds although the driver has lifted his foot from the gas pedal and applied the brake. In another occurrence in the MT transmission, engine is losing power although the gas pedal was pressed. It only returns to response after the driver shifted to neutral for 3 seconds.

To our disappointment, local Toyota representatives have declared that issue is very rare and does not concern safety, so they are not going to recall the product. They have only done a workaround of remapping the ECU/TCU which consequently causes the engine to work in lower revs and thus lower torque.

Me and other Innova users in Indonesia would be grateful if you can help us gather the facts.

Warm regards,

Tri Mulyantono
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 14:58   #524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. When engine temperature is below operating temp, the turbo attached to 2GD engines produces a whirring sound just like the sound of a kettle full of boiling water or like a wornout bearing. In fact, one user dismantled his turbo and found out that the blade is wobbling in all directions, proof that the bearing is worn out.
Sounds strange. Maybe it's an issue that fixes itself when temperatures rise and the metal expands, reducing clearances.

Quote:
3. There have been several occurrences where the engine is not responding according to pedal movement. In two occurrences in AT transmission, the car is accelerating for around 10 seconds although the driver has lifted his foot from the gas pedal and applied the brake. In another occurrence in the MT transmission, engine is losing power although the gas pedal was pressed. It only returns to response after the driver shifted to neutral for 3 seconds.

To our disappointment, local Toyota representatives have declared that issue is very rare and does not concern safety, so they are not going to recall the product. They have only done a workaround of remapping the ECU/TCU which consequently causes the engine to work in lower revs and thus lower torque.

If there's two words Toyota should be afraid of, they are: UNINTENDED ACCELERATION!

Hard to imagine something like this would be overlooked. However, lets wait and see if there are any similar reports here...

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2016 at 14:59.
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 23:17   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Dont know about the Crysta but on my Innova I had exclusively filled shell diesel for the first 10k or so. The catalytic converter died and was replaced under warranty.

The cause was identified as Shell diesel. Shell & Toyota refused to confirm when I mailed them.

So yeah, be careful.
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks