Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2024, 12:44   #3781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, this particular transmission was filled incorrectly it seems, so better check.

Irrespective of having a dipstick or not, this box appears to have been overfilled. So the level needs to checked. All boxes have ways of telling the level, even without a permanent dipstick. It will be in the workshop manual.
Agreed. But I think in this case, it could also be that the service advisor who was dealing with the customer probably misunderstood what the senior mechanic told him. I'm guessing they managed to drain 1.7l, and then flushed the remaining. The pic was taken after the manual draining. The SA are generally rushing around trying to meet quotas etc and are trained more for dealing with customers and do not fully understand the technical parts. Hopefully it was done by their trained senior tech and not some newbie!

I don't know if it is even possible to overfill the ATF by 4L but it would cause WAY more damage than just running on old ATF.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 23:06   #3782

Quote:
As others have pointed out, the oil did not evaporate!

The largest quantity always remains behind.

Jeroen
Yes Jeroen, you could be right and going by your past posts in this forum I am sure that you would know a lot more about these AT boxes. However I am still puzzled, as to how there could be a large quantity of oil that can be left behind. Unfortunately, I cannot post video of the oil change procedure that I captured during the process in my phone, since it has the identities of the Service Centre technicians in it, however they used the drain plug method at the bottom of the car to take out the the oil completely.

Quote:
It will be in the workshop manual. Jeroen
I didn't see the technicians using any workshop manual either. As I had mentioned earlier that most of the service technicians either ask each other, or rely on their expertise to do so. Hence my worry is that If I all over go again and tell them to check for things, I am not sure what different would they do this time around to prove me wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
one of those photos show that 1.7 L fluid which has been drained, even from that photos the color is blackish-brown, I say more black than brown. Thats another sign of fluid replacement.

And as far as the pictures that g_sanjib shared, i dont think 'transmisson filter' was changed, this is a miss Toyota service center did and this actually lays credence to the fact that they didnt know the right proceudre for ATF change, perhaps they didnt know how much quantity they were supposed to refill and that tranmission filter needs to be replaced as well.
Yes indeed, it is a miss by the service center not to replace the transmission filter and I believe if I go and ASK for it now, then they may have to again drain out the AT fluid, and that is too much of fiasco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I don't know if it is even possible to overfill the ATF by 4L but it would cause WAY more damage than just running on old ATF.
Yes that's the irony that if the Toyota Service Centre itself doesn't have the right set of equipment's / method or procedures to change the AT fluid, then I am not too sure who else will have it.
Old 14th July 2024, 19:22   #3783
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hello

I am in a dilemma currently. Hope to hear expert opinions from gurus here.

I own a 2016 Innova Crysta 2.8Z that has already done more than 90K KM. It is running perfectly well like it did the day I purchased it - touch wood :-). Might I say, I am very happy with it. It solves all my needs with my kids and wifey not willing to let it go due to its "exceptional" highway cruising abilities. I do have occasional need for 6 seats and the Crysta fits that bill perfectly.

Here is the twist now. I stay in a Tier-1 metro and since Crysta is now 8 yrs old I fear if the new Govt. will imply all BS iV diesels hard to own post 10 yr timeline. Currently I can get a good deal on this (especially since 2.8Z is niche now). I am not sure about it in next 2 years.

Since my family prefers ride quality and comfort over performance, I looked at Hycross and it fits the bill perfectly. Being a hybrid, I don't mind the dent it puts in to the wallet on my long drives. However, I feat that the driver in me is going to revolt since the engine/gearbox may be inferior to the Crysta 2.8Z.

So I am in a dilemma. Should I retain my ride till I can no longer do so or take a decision from head and look for hybrid alternative?

Thanks in advance.
smk

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th July 2024 at 04:55. Reason: Numerous clean up edits for typos, language and punctuation. Please proof read content before posting.
smekad is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th July 2024, 05:20   #3784
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
So I am in a dilemma- should I retain my ride till I can no longer do so- or take a decision from head and look for hybrid alternative?
First of all, I would like you to get a thorough test drive of the Hycross Hybrid if you want an upgrade, you will get to know how the hybrid performs in the city and highway as well.

Next consider whether it is time to let go or not, an 8-year-old Innova ain't quite old yet! moreover, I don't think the 10-year NGT ban on Diesels will spread to other Metros.

So choose wisely, and hopefully, you make the right decision!

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th July 2024 at 04:55. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 07:14   #3785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I own a 2016 Innova crysta 2.8z done already >90K KM..
People are cursing Toyota for discontinuing the Crysta AT, that includes me. Even if the ban gets enforced, you can sell the car in Tier 2 cities and the Innova would still fetch a good price. I understand your predicament, my suggestion, keep the 2.8, its a gem and you don't get such cars anymore.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 11:17   #3786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sanjib View Post
Yes Jeroen, you could be right and going by your past posts in this forum I am sure that you would know a lot more about these AT boxes. However I am still puzzled, as to how there could be a large quantity of oil that can be left behind.
I was researching on Google and found this page which has a chart of oil capacities of all Toyota cars. As per the chart, ATF capacity for 2.8 Crysta AT is 9.5L. If we are to believe this chart / webpage, then a closer inspection of actual level drained+flushed plus refilled is required.
Old 17th July 2024, 11:27   #3787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I was researching on Google and found this page which has a chart of oil capacities of all Toyota cars. As per the chart, ATF capacity for 2.8 Crysta AT is 9.5L. If we are to believe this chart / webpage, then a closer inspection of actual level drained+flushed plus refilled is required.
Thats for a total refill which will not happen during ATF replacement. Thats where the whole process is too complex.

The detailed process is something my brain could never pick up even after studying the workshop manual a couple of times. Everyone does this in their own way. But overall, first they expect the oil to be drained and then filled up to a certain quantity. After that we need to enter a ATF level check mode by shorting pins on the OBD port/using scan tool where the ATF reaches a temperature and expands. After this, the oil level plug which is like a drain plug needs to be opened. If oil flows out of this, then there was excess oil. If not, we need to top up until it starts dripping out of this hole. Then the fluid is at its right quantity. Not sure who came up with such a process
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 11:47   #3788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thats for a total refill which will not happen during ATF replacement. Thats where the whole process is too complex.

The detailed process is something my brain could never pick up even after studying the workshop manual a couple of times. Everyone does this in their own way. But overall, first they expect the oil to be drained and then filled up to a certain quantity. After that we need to enter a ATF level check mode by shorting pins on the OBD port/using scan tool where the ATF reaches a temperature and expands. After this, the oil level plug which is like a drain plug needs to be opened. If oil flows out of this, then there was excess oil. If not, we need to top up until it starts dripping out of this hole. Then the fluid is at its right quantity. Not sure who came up with such a process
Saving this for when I go for the oil change next week and will try to check all the steps, most crucial being the overflow at the end. Have also asked the service centre to order the ATF filter. If you have the service/repair manual handy, please share it here.
Old 17th July 2024, 23:30   #3789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Saving this for when I go for the oil change next week and will try to check all the steps, most crucial being the overflow at the end. Have also asked the service centre to order the ATF filter. If you have the service/repair manual handy, please share it here.
I have been referring to manuals here on Cardiagn - a very useful website https://cardiagn.com/2020-toyota-hil...al-drivetrain/

There is no manual exactly for the Crysta but other cars with similar engine/transmission being Fortuner, Hilux you can easily associate the procedures.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 17:28   #3790
BHPian

Hey Folks, Need a bit of insights/ help with my Innova Crysta 21 GX. The front speakers (both doors) have stopped working, the car hasn’t gone through any deep puddle or service between when they worked and stopped. Tried a hard reset of the car by disconnecting the battery but no luck. Any inputs would be appreciated. If you have a trusted & recommended audio shop do share contact (in Gurgaon). Or would this need Toyota A$$ to help fix. Caveat : I did have the speakers changes to JBL components in the front & co-axial at the rear in early 22 so not stock speakers.
Old 23rd July 2024, 18:55   #3791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter78 View Post
Hey Folks, Need a bit of insights/ help with my Innova Crysta 21 GX. The front speakers (both doors) have stopped working, the car hasn’t gone through any deep puddle or service between when they worked and stopped. Tried a hard reset of the car by disconnecting the battery but no luck. Any inputs would be appreciated. If you have a trusted & recommended audio shop do share contact (in Gurgaon). Or would this need Toyota A$$ to help fix. Caveat : I did have the speakers changes to JBL components in the front & co-axial at the rear in early 22 so not stock speakers.
Any ASS will not entertain aftermarket fittings. Take it to the same place where you got the speakers fitted. It might just be a simple fix like a loose connection or fuse issue.
Old 29th July 2024, 17:40   #3792
BHPian

Quote:
Hello

I am in a dilemma currently. Hope to hear expert opinions from gurus here.

I own a 2016 Innova Crysta 2.8Z that has already done more than 90K KM. It is running perfectly well like it did the day I purchased it - touch wood :-). Might I say, I am very happy with it. It solves all my needs with my kids and wifey not willing to let it go due to its "exceptional" highway cruising abilities. I do have occasional need for 6 seats and the Crysta fits that bill perfectly.

Here is the twist now. I stay in a Tier-1 metro and since Crysta is now 8 yrs old I fear if the new Govt. will imply all BS iV diesels hard to own post 10 yr timeline. Currently I can get a good deal on this (especially since 2.8Z is niche now). I am not sure about it in next 2 years.

Since my family prefers ride quality and comfort over performance, I looked at Hycross and it fits the bill perfectly. Being a hybrid, I don't mind the dent it puts in to the wallet on my long drives. However, I feat that the driver in me is going to revolt since the engine/gearbox may be inferior to the Crysta 2.8Z.

So I am in a dilemma. Should I retain my ride till I can no longer do so or take a decision from head and look for hybrid alternative?

Thanks in advance.
smk
I am in a very similar dilemma and it has been very frustrating for me as well, although my 2017 Crysta has done more than 2.2 Lac kms. In my opinion selling off the Crysta will be a wise decision, more so when you are getting a good amount for it today. Even if you retain it, the fear of govt. policies catching up to you will always be lurking. In another 2 years your car will not be able to ply in many big cities of the country and who knows that by then the 10 yrs law gets implemented in smaller cities as well.- These are my considerations.

I am now looking for a Crysta in the used market and currently negotiating with a seller who owns a 2023 Gx. I ruled out the Hycross because I need to ply bad country roads quite a lot for which the Hycross is not ideal. Had my usage been only in city and highways I would have gone for the Hycross eyes closed.
Therefore, if you think the Crysta is indispensable for you as well there is actually no replacement for it in the current market, and so you could go for a new Crysta or a less driven in the used market, otherwise I don't see any problem with the Hycross because it is the car of the future and a type the govt. wants you to own.
The current Transport Minister seems to be in a hurry to get rid off diesel vehicles as soon as possible. That's why I don't even feel confident in investing in a new diesel Crysta let alone retaining my old one.

Most Viewed