Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2022, 08:24   #3121
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

I must share the excellent experience I had with my Crysta 2.7 Z in a long drive across the country.

I just completed a 2800 km drive over five days, across six states from Kohima, Nagaland to Hyderabad, Telangana. I did the trip with a companion driver, the second row filled with luggage and my dog in the third row space after folding the seats.

We drove between 12-15 hours each day, taking adequate comfort halts. The drive was completely fatigue free, even in some bad road patches between Siliguri and Kolkata. On most highways, we were comfortably cruising at 120 kmph. No niggles, no punctures; just sheer driving pleasure. I am glad I opted for the AT, at the end of the day, I still had enough energy to walk my dog for an hour!

FE, as expected, is nothing to write about. I was on Eco Mode most of the time, with occasional switches to Power Mode to zip in heavy traffic stretches. The Power Mode does give you a high, when you slice through traffic effortlessly! The average FE would be about 9 kmpl, and I confess I was enjoying the drive, rather than worrying about the fuel being guzzled!

My Odometer now reads a grand 8500 km, after exactly one year of ownership. Of these 2500 km were on a Delhi - Kohima road trip, and 2800 km on this one. I must thank my fellow bhp-ians for steering me towards the Crysta last year, I couldn’t have had a better set of wheels!
ganeshnag75 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 17:37   #3122
BHPian

Thanks to all the members here and their advice. I have finally booked the Toyota Innova Crysta ZX AT (Diesel) in Avant Garde Broze at Nandi Toyota! Have been promised delivery in a month! Keeping fingers crossed, hope to take the delivery soon & share pics with you folks.

Thanks once again to help me make this amazing decision!
Thumping Soul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 09:55   #3123
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone installed TPMS? Toyota lists TPMS as an official accessory; just wanted to check if anyone has experience with it. And whether it is a bolt-on (on the valve) or in-tyre.

If not OEM, anyone with third-party TPMS on the Crysta?
Old 27th June 2022, 10:25   #3124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Has anyone installed TPMS? Toyota lists TPMS as an official accessory; just wanted to check if anyone has experience with it. And whether it is a bolt-on (on the valve) or in-tyre.

You need to replace the original valves with new TPMS valves. So they are not the bolt on type. However, as I was told by a Pune dealer, a couple of months back, there were accuracy/reliability issues reported by users with these and they were waiting for some update from Toyota. I have found the TREEL TPMS (by JK Tyres) to be performing good so far. I bought them directly from TREEL and got them fitted from a JK tyre dealer. Had to pay for the fitting, wheel balancing and weights.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 10:38   #3125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Avoid Toyota one, pick a similar one from Amazon for cheaper price. Recommend you to get Sesnairy or JK Treel set of 5. Both work well and have good support.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 11:38   #3126
SGK
BHPian

Quote:

I am using one of the external sensor TPMS which is available from Amazon and pretty happy with product. Easy to install and cost around 2.5K. Only downside is you need to be remove those valves when you fill air and reinstall those secure screws.
SGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:28   #3127
SGK
BHPian

Reposting from Tata Hexa AT failure thread.

One of the recommendations was to service the TC gearbox at 50K or 5 years period to avoid such scenario. I am planning to get my Crysta's TC gearbox checked in my upcoming service in Bangalore which has done 55K till now (2016 model). Any recommendation on which service can check the following points. I am currently servicing with Nandi Toyota, Electronic city.
[*]flushing properly till clear ATF oil is discharged[*]changing all seals [*]changing the solenoids (function) & valves (tolerances), if required after testing[*]changing all filters

PS: I am hoping all big service centre should be equipped to handle this but would still hear from the experts if anyone has done in the past and their experience.
Old 27th June 2022, 14:56   #3128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGK View Post

One of the recommendations was to service the TC gearbox at 50K or 5 years period to avoid such scenario. I am planning to get my Crysta's TC gearbox checked in my upcoming service in Bangalore which has done 55K till now (2016 model).

PS: I am hoping all big service centre should be equipped to handle this but would still hear from the experts if anyone has done in the past and their experience.
Firstly, there is no need to panic. The Tata issue is a flaw in the transmission itself wherein multiple users have reported coolant mixing with oil that eventually leads to the failure of the whole transmission. The Aisin AC60 on the Innova or Fortuner is much more reliable than that and there is not a single mention of a breakdown anywhere. In fact, the only situation where the transmission had to be replaced was because of external damage.

On the other hand, even though Toyota would advertise the transmission to be sealed for life, users abroad generally mention its good to replace the fluid every 1.6L kms or 10 years. Which if derated to Indian conditions, I would safely bet on a 8yr/80kms maintenance which can be advanced further by a year or two in case your car has always been used in crawling traffic and high temperature conditions. These would accelerate the rate of oil degradation. Otherwise, if your car has been used on highways and city traffic in a mixed manner, I dont think there is a need to worry and change oil at 5 year 50k kms mark. It is overkill.

Also I am not sure if Toyota will do it for you. Instead, the ATF replacement process for this transmission is well documented on the internet and you could take the help of a competent garage and source Toyota ATF to do the change in the correct manner as prescribed so that the preventive maintenance itself wont cause harm due to a shoddy job.

Last edited by audioholic : 27th June 2022 at 14:58.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:16   #3129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGK View Post

One of the recommendations was to service the TC gearbox at 50K or 5 years period to avoid such scenario. I am planning to get my Crysta's TC gearbox checked in my upcoming service in Bangalore which has done 55K till now (2016 model). Any recommendation on which service can check the following points. I am currently servicing with Nandi Toyota, Electronic city.
[*]flushing properly till clear ATF oil is discharged[*]changing all seals [*]changing the solenoids (function) & valves (tolerances), if required after testing[*]changing all filters

Please do not fix something that is not broken. These AT boxes have fantastic reliability record.

Chances of things going down are high after unwanted maintenance activities.

Note : Comes from a Hexa AT owner, with 96K on the odometer.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 18:37   #3130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Please do not fix something that is not broken. These AT boxes have fantastic reliability record.

+1. You put the wrong fluid and you will kill the transmission. Some process not followed correctly and it's going to impact the longetivity of the transmission.

Last edited by SDP : 27th June 2022 at 23:26. Reason: Removed last line
Old 27th June 2022, 19:05   #3131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
+1.
I would say follow the maintenance schedule.

Last edited by SDP : 27th June 2022 at 23:27. Reason: Edited the quoted portion
Old 27th June 2022, 19:34   #3132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I would say follow the maintenance schedule.
The problem is that Toyota doesn't recommend a replacement for the transmission fluid. They say it's life time and you just need to check levels every service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
+1. You put the wrong fluid and you will kill the transmission. Some process not followed correctly and it's going to impact the longetivity of the transmission.
'The car care nut ' a reputed Toyota technician recommends a replacement interval of 60,000 miles ( 1 lakh kms ) / 6 years for this kind of transmission fluid. So, I'll stick to that recommendation.

Reference video - ( watch from 08:22 )

Last edited by SDP : 27th June 2022 at 23:27. Reason: Edited the quote
Old 28th June 2022, 09:40   #3133
SGK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Also I am not sure if Toyota will do it for you. Instead, the ATF replacement process for this transmission is well documented on the internet and you could take the help of a competent garage and source Toyota ATF to do the change in the correct manner as prescribed so that the preventive maintenance itself wont cause harm due to a shoddy job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post

Note : Comes from a Hexa AT owner, with 96K on the odometer.
Thank you audioholic & prasanna_indaje, remember seeing a thread on AT failure for Crysta (But couldn't find that now) hence I was little paranoid, thanks for the assurance and clarification. Now I can drive peacefully.
Old 29th June 2022, 00:34   #3134

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
I have my Innova Crysta parked in spaces with no ceiling / roof sometimes. Recently when we were traveling long, my family heard water "swish"-ing sounds from the front door, when there was no water bottle on the door pockets stored. We then realised that water has entered the door interior and needs to be drained. I found some drain hole at the bottom, removed the rubber clip and was able to drain off the water. After some 10 days, I heard the same sounds on the left side rear passenger door and again, used the same way to drain the water from the doors.

I am wondering how the water would have entered the doors? I checked the rubber beading over the passenger door glasses and there is no gap there. Could someone advise from where the water could be seeping inside? What precautionary measures to take?
Not a Toyota, but a Ford expedition. Have the same problem on rear right door only. The beading on the glass, or the seal, whatever one calls it, starts passing water and it starts sloshing around. The electrics such as the window motor etc are usually sealed by a plastic cover that doesn't allow water to pass through. Just ensure the plugs on the bottom are always open.
Old 29th June 2022, 10:10   #3135
BHPian

After reading 1000's of reviews on Innova Crysta and evaluating several other contenders (may not be the exact category/segment as this), I booked the Innova Crysta GX AT 8 Seater - Avant Garde Bronze.

Every minute now is like a day's wait! Desperately waiting for the delivery.

I have opted for the below accessories at the dealership:

1. Ovion Seat Covers (Hazel Brown) - Couldn't get into terms with the dull looking fabric seats and hard arm-rest texture
2. 360 degree camera
3. Wooden Garnish & Silver Chrome beading on dashboard and door trims (purely for aesthetic purposes)
4. Rain visors
5. Under body anti-rust coating (chose this as the wheel-wells were also body coloured and I preferred black there)
6. Illuminated Scuff plates (family feebly pointed out that they liked the automatic climate control - read it as button control over knobs. But since I couldnt go for the ZX for various reasons, I thought I could delight them with some aesthetics like this)
7. Fog Lamps (Loved using it in certain conditions - they are a boon)
8. Auto folding mirrors - I always dreamt of having this feature
9. Full floor mat - I somehow prefer this over the more modern 3D/7D mats
10. Rubber mats and Mud Flaps

While ZX has quite a few premium features over the GX, the only thing I will badly miss in my GX is the Rear Defogger (had got spoilt by it in my 2020 Scorpio), but I had to compromise on this because I wanted the 8-seater and the ZX didn't offer it.

I am still in a dilemma whether I should spend a bomb on Ceramic Coating or simply stick to my routine of covering the car when in rest, wash it every week and wax-rub it every 2 months. I did this on my previous Scorpio and even after 12 years of life, it was still shining as new (barring minor scratches and dents). Even went through the Ceramic Coating related thread on this forum, but could not reach a conclusion. Any advise from esteemed members on if I can stick to my routine or if I should seek help from professionals - will be helpful.

Anyway, looking forward to meet our new ride and munching lakhs of KMs with it.
msarunms1987 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks