Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 13:30   #2206
jav
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhruday View Post
I was looking at options in AliExpress, but wasn’t able to find too many options somehow. Even if I get one and tweak any settings, wouldn’t it affect warranty? I had a vcds cable for my yeti earlier and used it only after warranty expiry. Was able to unlock so many features.
Not sure about warranty but since i got the Toyota software with the cable i went ahead with settings tweaks
also i use scangauge in my car to see sensor data, mainly to see my transmission and torque converter temperatures, i unplug it in service center before i give for service and haven't been told anything regarding warranty issue
but you can always check with the service advisor and see what he says
jav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 04:36   #2207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
since i got the Toyota software with the cable i went ahead with settings tweaks also i use scangauge in my car to see sensor data, mainly to see my transmission and torque converter temperatures
Is there a way to check from it whether the ECU registers the actual speed of the car properly? I always have a complain of 10% lesser speed being actual than what is displayed on the speedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Another issue is I am getting a little indecisive between 7 vs 8 seater
My usage pattern on long trips is self driven with better half by my side and kids in middle row. Occasionally one grandparent may join the kids in middle row.
I was in the same boat while deciding for 7 vs 8 seater. But eventually picked the bench seat considering it is easier for elders to lay flat for a while if they have difficulty with prolonged being in the seating posture. Also for infants and toddlers they can lay flat with wife in the middle seat easily which is difficult with bench seat. I have seen the Jugaad that converts the captain seat arrangement into bench seat and did not like it. The other thing is our family is of average height, for taller families this arrangement may not work out.
Old 4th June 2020, 10:40   #2208
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Is there a way to check from it whether the ECU registers the actual speed of the car properly? I always have a complain of 10% lesser speed being actual than what is displayed on the speedo.
Mine shows 5 to 10% error too same as yours but the km counter shows almost exact distance reading as gps.
the app with the cable shows each wheel speed in kmph (from the abs sensors i think) apart from the speedometer sensor but i never checked it while driving, ill do it next time i connect the cable

Last edited by jav : 4th June 2020 at 10:44.
jav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 13:27   #2209
BHPian

Re: Bucket vs bench seats

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the valuable suggestions. My daily drive is a 9 years old Tata Aria. One of the reasons to replace it with Crystal is the reliability factor. 25k is nothing for the peace of mind I am looking for.
Another issue is I am getting a little indecisive between 7 vs 8 seater
My usage pattern on long trips is self driven with better half by my side and kids in middle row. Occasionally one grandparent may join the kids in middle row. The occasional 5th passenger will not be pushed to the last row. I feel the bench seats give more space for the kids to keeps themselves busy. Additionally they will be physically more close to each other as well as their grandparent. Also the middle row passengers can put their legs on the seat and stretch.
Are the famed Crystal Buckets seats really that comfortable compared to bench seats. I find the aria's middle row quite comfortable. Is there anything else about the bucket seats which I am missing? Is there a way to add arm rest to bench seats?
Please help me decide between 7 and 8 seater
I have both variants in my garage and the bench seat is the first one we go to as invariably we are 3 or 4 people traveling with a driver. Everyone hates going to the third row as it’s really uncomfortable getting in and out.
The captain seat though comfortable, is really not that much better than the bench seat.
manishk123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 13:39   #2210
BHPian

Re: Bucket vs bench seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
I have both variants in my garage and the bench seat is the first one we go to as invariably we are 3 or 4 people traveling with a driver. Everyone hates going to the third row as it’s really uncomfortable getting in and out.
The captain seat though comfortable, is really not that much better than the bench seat.
Thank you for your inputs dear. I have booked a 7 seater now and is due for delivery in a day or two. My requirement is never more than 4 seats. For me 7 seater is effectively a 5 seater with only one adult comfortable in the last row on long trips. For short trips 2 adults in last row can be comfortable, making it a 6 seater. On long trips in large groups we prefer to increase the number of cars and families sit mixed together. The idea is that in event of any mishap not all members from the same family are affected. (Slightly off topic)
bravo82in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 19:35   #2211
BHPian

Innova Crysta 2.4 GX AT: Initial Review

Guys,
I took delivery of Innova Crysta 2.4 GX AT this week. It was a pretty awesome experience purchasing a car completely online sitting at home.

Background

My NCR registered Tata Aria Pride was nearing 9 years and thanks to niggling issues, it was in mid-March I had made up my mind to dispose it off and go for a lateral upgrade. Details available here (Tata Aria replacement? EDIT: Booked Innova GX AT) I short listed a few preowned ones but due to Lock down I was not able to TD them. Finally, I decided to go for a new one.

Contenders

Tatas’ and Mahindras’ were ruled out for want of long-term reliability.

The New Creta and Seltos were out for lack to rear seat comfort and not a worthy replacement for the mammoth sized Aria.

Loved the 1.3 l turbo Kicks CVT on paper but shied away because the long-term future of Nissan in India is dicey.

Hector was considered not even once, thanks to anti-China sentiments.

All this was done sitting at home reading forum reviews and WhatsApp discussions with friends and family members.

The Innova Crysta AT was a clear winner as a family car, with long term reliability, easy maintenance and resale value.

Booking to delivery process

Once the variant and colour was finalized, the rest of the job was outsourced to Sainik Car Options and Services pvt ltd. They did a fantastic job and saved me a lot of time and effort. They located the variant and color at a dealer in NCR the same evening and the booking amount was transferred. The next day I emailed them all the relevant documents for processing of loan. In two days, the loan was approved by the bank and the Courier guy came to collect physical copies and signature on documents. The next day I transferred the balance amount to the dealer. The temp registration took another 2 days and the car was home delivered. Final landing cost without accessories and HP registration ~ Rs20.6 Lacs
This is the second time I have availed services of this agency and it was totally worth paying them consultation charges. They managed a discount of 30000/- from dealer (Never imagined any offers or discount from Toyota) and saved me another 19000/- on insurance plus the hassle of finding the vehicle variant, color, bargaining, follow up calls, loan approval etc. 5 Days flat the car was home delivered.

Initial impression

I was disheartened when I took delivery of my car. GX variant was way too bland for my taste. Zero chrome on outside and all black inside.
It was a big down grade from the plush interiors of the Aria. The car needed a cosmetic make over. That very evening I shorted list accessories from https://www.carplus.in and gave them a call. They arranged a pick-up the next day morning. It took them two days to do the bridal make up and the car now looks stunning in its new avatar. Their quality of products is near OEM and at almost half the price.

(Disclaimer: I have no association with Sainik Car Options and services Pvt Ltd or Carplus.in How ever their professionalism and customer centric approach is worth a mention here)

Sharing fews pics after the cosmetic make over

Front with added chrome and fog lamps

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-front1.jpg

Rear with Chrome tail gate Ornament

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-bacl.jpg

Side profile with chrome door handles, chrome window lining, sun visors and roof ornament

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20200612_132722.jpg

Dashboard with wooden garnish and leather wrapped steering

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-dashboard1.jpg

The tan and black seat covers

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-captain-seats.jpg

The famous captain seats.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-famous-captain-seats.jpg

Door Panels with magnetic sun shades

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-door-panel.jpg

Having driven an Aria for 9 years, here is a short comparison between the two.

Looks: While Aria is a muscular college dude, Crysta is the chocolate schoolboy.

NVH: Cabin of Crysta is at least 30% silent as compared to Aria. On outside its all the same.

Driving position: Aria has a more commanding seating position on driver’s seat and is more accommodating while Crysta seat lacks in both. However, bonnet is visible from the Crysta which is not the case with Aria

Acceleration and engine refinement: Crysta is super smooth and fast. Aria doesn’t stand a chance here.

Built quality: Aria feels like a tank inside outside. Crysta has solid feel inside but the body panels are wafer thin.

Middle row seats:
I was driving while my better half was on the middle row. She immediately pointed out Aria seats are more comfortable; case closed.

Driving comfort: Here Crysta leads by a huge margin. While It takes so much effort to drive the Aria, Crysta’s driving is almost effortless. Wife could easily chauffeur me around, while it would take her a lot of effort to drive the Aria.

Safety features: Crysta GX comes with all the active safety features as the ZX. Only thing missing is the curtain and side airbags. Aria is competently loaded with safety features.

Over-all I am happy with my purchase and see it as a giant leap from Aria with respect to long term hassle free ownership experience

Request suggestions on anti theft devices/ measures for my ride. Gear lock cannot be used in ATs. Hidden switch will void the warranty. Any active devices other than the GPS tracker (which is more passive than active) that can be deterrent for the thieves.
bravo82in is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 19:27   #2212
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pictures of our car since I finally took it out to my farm. I would have had more fun with my SX4 on the highway due to its smaller dimensions. But the Crysta is a different league when it comes to cruising at a fixed speed. On the highway I managed mostly with cruise control and only used the brakes where necessary. The car has PPF all around including headlights and it has already saved dad from a brush in the parking lot very well.
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-53f6344e9c304f2f8080211cacbb3443.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-71437a32ff7f4358aeb37c7f65871f3c.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-da7e568c3a1f4bd68ed58bc189d28dfc.jpeg

Last edited by Sheel : 13th June 2020 at 19:41. Reason: Minor typo.
audioholic is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 11:26   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The car has PPF all around including headlights and it has already saved dad from a brush in the parking lot very well.
Congratulations for the new car, the garnet red no doubt is the best colour and most difficult to maintain. So good decision going for PPF. How much did full body PPF cost and which brand? Also yours being newer category of ZX model it has heat rejection glasses, how effective are they in the summer.

Quote:
Guys,
I took delivery of Innova Crysta 2.4 GX AT this week.
My NCR registered Tata Aria Pride was nearing 9 years and thanks to niggling issues, it was in mid-March I had made up my mind to dispose it off and go for a lateral upgrade.

Request suggestions on anti theft devices/ measures for my ride. Gear lock cannot be used in ATs. Hidden switch will void the warranty.
Congratulations for the new car, chrome trims look great. One advice on the chrome window lines is that the lower one can accumulate water inside so whoever washes the car must be thoughtful to clean and dry accordingly.

Also for the rear tailgate chrome garnish my personal favourite was the black one on the touring sport. But dealer wasn't interested much in selling so convinced me that it wouldn't look good. So kept the default body colored ones.

Regarding anti theft doesn't the base model already come with a default anti theft alarm? Even then for G models (below GX) there is a similar device fitted as Accessories that you can check out.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 11:41   #2214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations for the new car, the garnet red no doubt is the best colour and most difficult to maintain. So good decision going for PPF. How much did full body PPF cost and which brand? Also yours being newer category of ZX model it has heat rejection glasses, how effective are they in the summer.t.
Havent really driven the car under the sun but the glass has a green tint to it and in the moderate weather it works pretty well, since while driving I didnt feel the burning sensation on the skin under sunlight which I feel in my other cars. The PPF job is DIY by me with some help from my friend Sunnyboi for prepping the surface and polishing. I procured the material from a reputed factory in China who gave me a five year warranty against yellowing, cracking and adhesive failure. The material is PU and not vinyl which is far cheaper and has self healing ability. The cost is probably a quarter of what it would cost me to get it done from a shop but it has taken quite some effort from my side, thanks to the lockdown due to which I had enough time to spend on the vehicle.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:19   #2215
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations for the new car, chrome trims look great. One advice on the chrome window lines is that the lower one can accumulate water inside so whoever washes the car must be thoughtful to clean and dry accordingly.
Regarding anti theft doesn't the base model already come with a default anti theft alarm?
Thank you so much dear. Will pass on the instructions to car cleaner guy regarding lower window lines. Yes the GX comes with anti theft alarm. Innova is a darling for the thieves. I have more faith in manual locks than electronics. Electronic locks are smart, but thieves are getting smarter. Hence asking for suggestion for physical anti theft system.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th June 2020 at 23:51. Reason: Merged sentences, used full stops. Please take the time to draft your posts properly. Thanks.
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 22:23   #2216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Mine shows 5 to 10% error too same as yours but the km counter shows almost exact distance reading as gps.
The speedo error on the optimistic side is introduced consciously by the manufacturer due to government regulations. More details here (Speedometer calibration: Government says that vehicle should overstate speed)
This error is introduced only for the speedo meter and not for the odo meter. Hence, odo meter will still display accurate distance.

Also quoting the relevant part of the post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
So I came across this BIS document and thought this might interest you.

The biggest takeaway is that government regulations state that a vehicle should overstate the speed by 4, 6 or 8 km/hr depending on the class of vehicle. (para 5.5)

Last edited by amalji : 15th June 2020 at 22:25.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 18:39   #2217
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed the first service of the Crysta today and the car took close to 4 liters of Adblue with only 850kms on the Odo. Did the car come with a partially full Adblue tank or is the car having drinking issue with Adblue? I expected it to consume 1L for ever 800-1000kms, or even worst case 500kms. But here it looks like 1L every 200kms. Has anyone else checked this?

The worst part is that there is no realtime display of Adblue and only when there is a certain quantity left, we get a warning on the TFT. I really dont know why those engineers did not provide this option - In spite of having a display that can show any info that is required. As per the manual, I should get an Adblue warning when there is 2500kms to go to empty. If the tank had only 8 liters left, with the current consumption it should have given me the warning by now since the Adblue would have only lasted for around 2000kms.

If other owners of the BS6 car can update the consumption info, it would be of help. The only indication of the level is through the diagnostic tool which this place I visited did not have. Due to that, they only did a visual topup and I believe they have filled excess Adblue since the tank is located away from the filler neck and that itself can hold more than a 2 liters of Adblue. They claimed that cars with 5k odd kms need a full refill. Which still does not add up to why my car took so much. I have been using BS6 diesel from day one except for 500 rupees of Shell diesel which I was told was not BS6 by the attendant.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 21:08   #2218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Completed the first service of the Crysta today and the car took close to 4 liters of Adblue with only 850kms on the Odo. Did the car come with a partially full Adblue tank or is the car having drinking issue with Adblue? I expected it to consume 1L for ever 800-1000kms, or even worst case 500kms. But here it looks like 1L every 200kms. Has anyone else checked this?
That looks high consumption and unlikely. Either the service folks are lying or they are unaware of the procedure. Did they charge you for the Adblue consumed?
Old 18th June 2020, 21:38   #2219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
That looks high consumption and unlikely. Either the service folks are lying or they are unaware of the procedure. Did they charge you for the Adblue consumed?
Yes it indeed looks unusually high. I reported the issue to Toyota and today morning itself got a call from the dealer justifying the issue saying I used BS4 diesel, it was filled partially from factory and so on. I gave the following arguments in return and shut them up:
  • To my best of knowledge, Bharat Petroleum switched to BS6 fuel long back, and I have been filling it there in a single bunk till now, and its just two tankfulls
  • They spoke about some regeneration happening at 4k kms, and I explained them that its the DPF they are talking about and not the SCR system.
  • My simple question was how does one know the status of Adblue without connecting the scan tool. The tank is located close to the fuel tank and the filler neck is in the engine bay. There is a thick pipe that goes in between. Those mechanics just peep into the hole and fill it as per their like. That means the tank is full, and then a good amount of Adblue has gone into the pipe. The guy who called quit at this moment and get back to me with the correct procedure.
After this, I felt its a case of overfilling. Their claim is that the Adblue of other cars needed full refill at 4-5k kms. If they filled 12 liters at that point, the actual consumption would have been lesser and most of it would have stayed in the pipe. Its impossible to know the quantity in the tank without connecting the diagnostic tool. Hence, I am looking forward to further updates. The fluid costs 90 rupees a liter and I paid for 4 liters, along with an additional can purchased for my own satisifaction in case the car really needs topup.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 15:22   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Quote:
I was watching the video - and he says the consumption is between 2 and 6 % of the diesel usage.

So, if I take the average mileage of Crysta as 12 kmpl, the diesel usage for 850 kms would be 70.83 liters
Applying the same logic, the adblue consumption would be between 1.42 liters ( 2% ) and 4.25 liters ( 6% ) for 850 kms.

Regardless, it is bad on the part of the manufacturers not to be transparent with the adblue levels because it adds on to the expense for the user and without it, the car won't even start.

Another interesting article on adblue here - https://www.tsg-solutions.com/increa...e-consumption/
Pasting the relevant section.
Quote:
Under Euro 5 regulation, AdBlue consumption for light passenger vehicles was as low as approximately 0.5 litres per 1000 kilometres, and so the replenishment of AdBlue was deemed to be something that needed attention only when performing service checks on the vehicle. The advent of stricter Euro 6 regulations has pushed AdBlue consumption as high as 6% of the overall fuel consumption in extreme cases with the normal usage being around 2.5 to 3%, necessitating much more frequent refilling.

Last edited by amalji : 21st June 2020 at 15:31.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks