Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2020, 11:15   #2176
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In sixth gear the car does 100 at around 1600RPM, which is so sedate the driver can easily fall asleep
May I request that you check this with the GPS assisted speedo on the Google Map the next time you get to drive on the highway?

In my opinion the speedo on the Innova is way off and with 16 inch wheels what is shown as 100 KM/hr on the car speedo is actually 91 KM/hr on the Google maps. I do suppose that with 17 inch wheels this would be closer.
haisaikat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 20:30   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Congrats @Sreehari on the purchase, and good to see an ownership review of the the new BS6 2.4 auto.

Even if auto medias bothered, don't think Toyota would have arranged drives for the 2.4 auto. Well. Same engine, same gearbox reviewed to death, just not reviewed combined in India, that's all.

The 2.8l existed just to justify and create an upmarket image for the Innova Crysta. Guess Toyota had more customers complaining about low FE and brake wear than customers raving about the performance.

Looking forward to a review after a highway trip

Please do share the highway FE figures and also the engine RPM at 100kmph in top gear.

Cheers.

Did the dealers push the accessories package? Asking cause heard that Nandi Toyota and the dealerships in Kerala are known to push all these chrome accessories even before Toyota has announced them
Thank you.
Yes the dealers did push the accessories package. Ya will update FE figures after an highway trip.
shreehari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 10:24   #2178
sgm
BHPian

Congrats Shreehari. Innova is a sensible buy and a really comfortable family car which will serve you for many years.

Toyota not giving Android auto and Apple car play on these vehicles is a great miss. The Sat Nav is kind of useless as it misses real time traffic conditions but it has an advantage that, when there are fly overs or deviation, it zooms and high lights the section that you have to take, this is what I notice in our Corolla Altis, I used to use a 3rd party application called "iAuto" which can be used to transfer google map coordinates to the HU if needed.

Happy miles ahead.
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 14:02   #2179
BHPian

Congratulations!! Happy miles with your new possession.
Coming from Mahindra ownership experience, didn't you consider the Alturas G4.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th May 2020 at 14:24. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 19th May 2020, 15:09   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Congrats Shreehari. Innova is a sensible buy and a really comfortable family car which will serve you for many years.

Toyota not giving Android auto and Apple car play on these vehicles is a great miss. The Sat Nav is kind of useless as it misses real time traffic conditions but it has an advantage that, when there are fly overs or deviation, it zooms and high lights the section that you have to take, this is what I notice in our Corolla Altis, I used to use a 3rd party application called "iAuto" which can be used to transfer google map coordinates to the HU if needed.

Happy miles ahead.
Thanks SGM for sharing the info about iAuto. Will definitely give it a try & hopefully it eases out the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Congratulations!! Happy miles with your new possession.
Coming from Mahindra ownership experience, didn't you consider the Alturas G4.
Thanks Pkumarblore. Alturas was not considered because of the budget constraints.

Quote:

Happy miles ahead.
Hi SGM, is the app that you are referring to "iAuto Browser" ? How do we use this. Can you throw some more light on this?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th May 2020 at 22:00. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
shreehari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 21:14   #2181
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreehari View Post
Hi SGM,
Is the app that you are referring to "iAuto Browser" ? How do we use this.
Can you throw some more light on this.
Hi Sreehari,
I'm not sure if the DVD-AVN unit is exactly the same in Innova and Altis . The one in Altis is from Pioneer. It looks like this.
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-corolla_hu1.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-corolla_hu2.jpg

Sorry, the app is called iAutoLink and not iAuto, my bad.
iAutoLink is available for both Andriod and AppleCar play. I did all the trials just to figure out all the options but it takes time to explore and do this only if time permits.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-iauto.jpg

I used the POI coordinate transfer a few times but it is cumbersome. Google maps is always better. I used to use this only for long trips, in case the there is no mobile signal range, SatNav came in handy.

The following video gives some idea on iAutoLink
Old 19th May 2020, 21:31   #2182
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sreehari,
I'm not sure if the DVD-AVN unit is exactly the same in Innova and Altis . The one in Altis is from Pioneer. It looks like this.
Attachment 2007783

Attachment 2007784
The system in Innova is different and there is no option of Miracast in my system. So I guess this wont help. But any ways thanks for responding.
Old 20th May 2020, 01:56   #2183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In sixth gear the car does 100 at around 1600RPM, which is so sedate the driver can easily fall asleep
Thanks.
The only places in the internet where I could get the info was the Japanese Driver's High YouTube channel where he did a POV drive of a Hilux 2.4 A/T, but he didn't really cruise in the highway.
And for the 2.4 6spd manual, a Brazilian POV drive of Hilux.

So, great. Has the same cruising RPM as the old 2.8 A/T.
Am sure this will lead to the queer situation where, for long highway trips, the Innova 2.4 A/T may end up giving more FE than the 2.4 M/T, ofcourse for city traffic it would be poor than the manual.

Can't understand why Toyota won't give the manual 6spd RC60 transmission standard across the range, instead of just the Touring Sport variant.

Would have done wonders for FE and more importantly cruising ability on highways, which is the Innova's karmabhoomi in India anyway.

Maybe remove the iMT thingy if looking to cut costs.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th May 2020 at 23:45. Reason: Typo
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 11:36   #2184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
So, great. Has the same cruising RPM as the old 2.8 A/T.
Am sure this will lead to the queer situation where, for long highway trips, the Innova 2.4 A/T may end up giving more FE than the 2.4 M/T, ofcourse for city traffic it would be poor than the manual.
Yes, I dont think the transmission has been changed wrt ratios and so. If you also noticed, the 2.4 AT has the same torque as the 2.8 AT which might have been bumped up to match the input requirements of the AT box. Hence, the transmission ratios are unchanged. Inside the City, my car is hovering around the 10kmpl mark. But this includes quite some idling time, and low speed driving. A part highway drive with full load for around 50kms brought up the FE to 12kmpl, but this included lot of diversions since the carriageway was shut and we had to take the service road with a lot of traffic and speed breakers. I think on longer drives, the FE should be better than the MT since the MT does 100 at a higher RPM. Due to the absence of the gear indicator, its difficult to understand the gearshift pattern.

Some of the biggest grouses in this car I have discovered so far is that though they have given an excellent TFT display in the instrument cluster, they have missed out on gear position indicator as well as set speed for cruise control. Completely dont understand the logic behind these things. When they give fuel price saving calculator and what not, why cant such simple things be offered? And I liked the engine braking in the S mode. Looks like that must save some brake pad life else the engine keeps coasting in lower gears which will eat up the brake pads in no time.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 14:40   #2185
BHPian

Battery replacement for my Crysta:

My 2.8 GX Crysta's Battery (Aug 2016) has been showing signs of degraded performance with an evident delay while cranking. My SA suggested me to replace it at the 70k service, but I was not too willing to change it then as it still has some life left in it. However, the lockdown has made it inevitable that I had to go for a change as the battery completely went dead last week when I went out of the house to pick up some medicines. The car just refused to start, after I came out of the Medical Shop and I took the help of a local garage to give a jump start and get the car back home.

I spoke with the SA and visited the Service Centre to get the battery replaced. New Battery cost (Exide Make) is around ~ Rs 7700 and they gave a discount of about Rs 1000 for the old battery.

By the way, the service centers are open from 9 AM - 5 PM with business running as usual. Toyota is taking good care to sanitize the car by spraying some disinfectants all over the car and also by rubbing the car with Sanitizer at the door handles, etc...

Last edited by samabhi : 20th May 2020 at 14:43.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 21:42   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
The Sat Nav is kind of useless as it misses real time traffic conditions but it has an advantage that, when there are fly overs or deviation, it zooms and high lights the section that you have to take
You get this same feature of zoom over at road joints in Sygic navigation app, it's searching capability is supposedly better than the on board navigation of the HU but I doubt if it will still get Indian traffic information unlike Google. I did this comparison sometime back below

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-services.html (Google Maps vs other navigation services)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreehari View Post
The system in Innova is different and there is no option of Miracast in my system.
It does have an age-old Mirrorlink support which is similar to this, just that it works with prehistoric smart phone models, I did some research earlier on this here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4713838 (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review)

Quote:
they have missed out on gear position indicator

Looks like that must save some brake pad life else the engine keeps coasting in lower gears which will eat up the brake pads in no time.
Yes I agree that the only other way to ascertain gear position is to count the number of RPM needle drops but not recommended while driving as it's a distraction. However on the brake pad wear I must say that it is also a result of driving habit. I have heard from service center that people have been driving all time in power modes especially cabbies and they report lot of break wear. As a habit we should plan the braking and avoid doing it abruptly whenever possible, same goes with accelerating the car.
Old 21st May 2020, 09:44   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
It does have an age-old Mirrorlink support which is similar to this, just that it works with prehistoric smart phone models, I did some research earlier on this here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4713838 (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review)
Hi haisaikat,
Thank you for this info I had read about the mirror-link when I was going through the user manual but I guess I misread the portion where it said the version of android. I read it as 4.3 or newer so was trying my luck with Samsung Note 8 which obviously did not work out. Now I will try to source a older phone and give it a shot. Anyways thanks for the info
Old 29th May 2020, 22:25   #2188
BHPian

Extended Warranty

Hello T-BHPians,
I am in the processes of finalizing Innova Crysta GX 2.4 AT 8 seater. I have a query and need your valuable inputs.

Is it worth taking extended warranty for 4 and 5 year? It will cost me approx. INR 25k.
Any one facing issues in 4 and 5 year where extended warranty
was of any help?
Old 29th May 2020, 23:33   #2189
BHPian

Re: Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Hello T-BHPians,
I am in the processes of finalizing Innova Crysta GX 2.4 AT 8 seater. I have a query and need your valuable inputs.

Is it worth taking extended warranty for 4 and 5 year? It will cost me approx. INR 25k.
was of any help?
Don't know the case with Innova Crysta but it was a common issue on the earlier Innova and Fortuner of the spiral cable failing after the 3rd year and Toyota charging exorbitant amounts to replace that.

I had faced this issue in both my Innova and Fortuner. In Fortuner the a.s.s. would have charged almost Rs 26,000 for replacing the spiral cable but I had extended warranty.

So I think its worth spending that money on extended warranty.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 11:16   #2190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Hello T-BHPians,

was of any help?
I am a big fan of extended warranty. Go for it, if you plan to keep the car more than 3 years. 25k extra in your initial cost will not hit you much and these things comes handy when things go bad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks