Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2024, 15:25   #1366
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

My brother owns a BRV Diesel. Its a no nonsense practical car with a usable third row. The mileage it gives is astounding. never drops below 18 kmpl even in city traffic. The average highway ride returns 25kmpl. I have tried hypermiling with it once and it returned 31.4 kmpl. All this with a reliable diesel power.
nettooran is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 18:15   #1367
BHPian

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
My BR-V petrol MT is doing extremely well but there's one issue which has cropped up and that's abysmal average mileage of 8kmpl in Bangalore city traffic as per the MID. I haven't really done a tank full to tank full method to calculate mileage of late and I don't know if my MID is showing wrong readings or some internal component has gone bad which has led to drop in mileage. The driving experience hasn't changed and I don't observe anything unusual otherwise. Few months back the car electricals suffered from a rat bite which led to the CEL come on in the instrument cluster. This was promptly resolved by fixing the wiring and reseting the error using OBD at a reputed garage. I'm not sure if that incident is causing the issue. Any suggestions to get the mileage fixed?

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 17th May 2024 at 18:18.
Old 17th May 2024, 21:00   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
My BR-V petrol MT is doing extremely well but there's one issue which has cropped up and that's abysmal average mileage of 8kmpl in Bangalore city traffic as per the MID. I haven't really done a tank full to tank full method to calculate mileage of late and I don't know if my MID is showing wrong readings or some internal component has gone bad which has led to drop in mileage.
Please get the Air and AC filter checked and changed every 10k kms. Also Tyre pressure. These 3 things alone impact FE by 15-20%.
Old 17th May 2024, 21:16   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
My BR-V petrol MT is doing extremely well but there's one issue which has cropped up and that's abysmal average mileage of 8kmpl in Bangalore city traffic as per the MID. I haven't really done a tank full to tank full method to calculate mileage of late and I don't know if my MID is showing wrong readings or some internal component has gone bad which has led to drop in mileage. The driving experience hasn't changed and I don't observe anything unusual otherwise. Few months back the car electricals suffered from a rat bite which led to the CEL come on in the instrument cluster. This was promptly resolved by fixing the wiring and reseting the error using OBD at a reputed garage. I'm not sure if that incident is causing the issue. Any suggestions to get the mileage fixed?
Shouldn't be that low. I drive with a heavy foot on my dad's BRV and still the MID shows 13.5-14.0 kmpl all the time. Are your emissions in check? Some fuel additives like VISTA X or System G, STP etc might work cleaning your injectors and freeing the decontaminants in the fuel system. How many kms has the car done? Has the oil been changed regularly?
Old 17th May 2024, 21:54   #1370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My BR-V petrol MT is doing extremely well but there's one issue which has cropped up and that's abysmal average mileage of 8kmpl in Bangalore city traffic as per the MID. I haven't really done a tank full to tank full method to calculate mileage of late and I don't know if my MID is showing wrong readings or some internal component has gone bad which has led to drop in mileage.
I get 8 kmpl all the time within the city limits . But then, I rarely use it in the city and if used, it is mostly on a 6 km trip. Anyway, first find out if it is a MID problem or a fuel efficiency problem.

1) Get PUC done. If engine is burning excess fuel for some reason (eg: rat bite on some component), it might show in the emissions.

2) Next take the car on Ring Road at night or NICE road or Mysore expressway. Reset the MID and drive for a few kms to check the fuel economy, as displayed by MID. If it is normal, then the MID is fine.

3) Next time the 'fuel empty' light comes on, do a full tank (auto-shut off) and note down the litres in the tank. Use the car in the city as usual till the 'fuel empty' light comes on again. Calculate the fuel economy and see if it around the usual levels.

4) If MID is fine but fuel economy is still lower than before, then the rat might have bitten the fuel lines. After a drive, open the engine bay to see if there is petrol smell. Rat bite might be causing micro-leaks. Ask the mechanic to specifically check all the fuel lines.

Last edited by SmartCat : 17th May 2024 at 22:05.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 22:07   #1371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My BR-V petrol MT is doing extremely well but there's one issue which has cropped up and that's abysmal average mileage of 8kmpl in Bangalore city traffic as per the MID.
Just wondering since you mentioned a rat bite, is the vehicle used often?

Do a tankfull and run a 150 km roundtrip to see how things fare.

Honda City in traffic gives only ~9 kmpl in Bangalore, so you are not that far off.
Old 2nd June 2024, 13:01   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
Please get the Air and AC filter checked and changed every 10k kms. Also Tyre pressure. These 3 things alone impact FE by 15-20%.
Recently got the gas topped up as the AC cooling was not effective during peak summer in Bangalore, the technician pointed out that BR-V does not get a filter for AC and hence the internal components get soiled with dirt over time and suggested a thorough service after some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
Shouldn't be that low. I drive with a heavy foot on my dad's BRV and still the MID shows 13.5-14.0 kmpl all the time. Are your emissions in check? Some fuel additives like VISTA X or System G, STP etc might work cleaning your injectors and freeing the decontaminants in the fuel system. How many kms has the car done? Has the oil been changed regularly?
It is a pre-owned vehicle. Bought it at 44k km in 2022 and has done around 12k km since it has been purchased. It's serviced regularly @ 12 months interval. As you rightly pointed out will try getting the PUC done it's been a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I get 8 kmpl all the time within the city limits . But then, I rarely use it in the city and if used, it is mostly on a 6 km trip. Anyway, first find out if it is a MID problem or a fuel efficiency problem.

1) Get PUC done. If engine is burning excess fuel for some reason (eg: rat bite on some component), it might show in the emissions.

2) Next take the car on Ring Road at night or NICE road or Mysore expressway. Reset the MID and drive for a few kms to check the fuel economy, as displayed by MID. If it is normal, then the MID is fine.

3) Next time the 'fuel empty' light comes on, do a full tank (auto-shut off) and note down the litres in the tank. Use the car in the city as usual till the 'fuel empty' light comes on again. Calculate the fuel economy and see if it around the usual levels.

4) If MID is fine but fuel economy is still lower than before, then the rat might have bitten the fuel lines. After a drive, open the engine bay to see if there is petrol smell. Rat bite might be causing micro-leaks. Ask the mechanic to specifically check all the fuel lines.
1.Thanks SmartCat will get the PUC done soon , its's been a while now.
2. My last highway trip was to Somnathpura temples near Mysore, the car returned mileage of around 13 kmpl as per the MID with 4 healthy adults on board and good speed on Mysore Expressway.
3.Yet to do the traditional full tank method to calculate. Will do it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Just wondering since you mentioned a rat bite, is the vehicle used often?

Do a tankfull and run a 150 km roundtrip to see how things fare.

Honda City in traffic gives only ~9 kmpl in Bangalore, so you are not that far off.
To answer your question, it is used at least once or twice a week (as we also have a Hyundai Eon that does duty to run errands) and that too for good enough distance within city (say around 20 km round trip).

Thank you all, for your valuable inputs. Will share more updates here shortly. Happy motoring !

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 2nd June 2024 at 13:02.
Storm2.0 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 11:16   #1373
BHPian

My BRV's clutch has become very hard over the last few months. I have driven only around 500 KMS in last 3 months and clutch is progressively getting harder to press and hold.

There is no drop in mileage or pick up, though there is a bit of jerk and jump when I release the clutch. Especially in the morning (cold start) the jump is significant.

Service adviser at the Honda service center asked me to change the clutch. Has anyone changed their BRV's clutch recently. If yes, where and what was the cost involved.

Honda service center is quoting 35K+ for clutch change. So I am looking at independent garage as well

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks