Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 02:09   #1156
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by indranilmuk View Post
Hi, can you tell me how you have extended the warranty till 2023? I bought the BRV VX limited edition (style edition), manual version in Nov, 2018. My extended warranty is to 2021. Is there an option I can extend the warranty with the Honda dealership? Thanks.
Hi Indranil,

Very simple procedure. Approach your SA at the local HASS and ask to extend the warranty. Pay the required amount and...that's it! You can extend for another 5 years. I paid about 14k for 2 years additional warranty. Make sure you do this before your current warranty expires or else there will be some additional charges.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 02:15   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragsk747 View Post
Hello All.

Is used BRV automatic an good option to consider. Found few BRV's online with less than 20k in ODO and 2016 model for about 6.5 lakhs. Considering Honda has discontinued BRV, will spares be any problem. Any other things that I need to be careful of if I am considering automatic BRV. Please advise.

Also, will be good to hear from any BRV automatic owners in the forum please.

Regards.
Hi Ragsk747,

I have a BR-V CVT and am very happy with it. Bought it pre-owned in January this year and so far have just clocked 2k kms on it since purchase. Average in the city is about 8.5 Kmpl and on the highway I have achieved 17.3 Kmpl. Very smooth shifts and nice engine. Yes! There is the dreaded "rubber band" effect but one can get around it by gentle use of the A pedal.
A.C. is effective. Plenty of boot space with the last row folded.

Regards,
SS
Old 20th October 2020, 16:38   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Ragsk747,
.. Yes! There is the dreaded "rubber band" effect but one can get around it by gentle use of the A pedal.
A.C. is effective. Plenty of boot space with the last row folded.

Regards,
SS
Overcome the effect to an extent by using paddle shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by indranilmuk View Post
Speed limit is locked. I bought in November 2018. My BRV speed is capped at 140 kmph.
I had put this false claim to test on my CVT a few years ago and had reported in one of my posts that time that BRV was able to cross 150 and climbing before the road ran out.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 15:00   #1159
BANNED

Hello Gentlemen,

Could someone advise about sound damping in the BR-V? I am not a huge audiophile or anything like that. But the car does allow high amounts of road noise to filter into the cabin. On long drives, that amount of road noise in the cabin leads to higher levels of fatigue.

I actually enquired with local shops. They are offering damping with products such as Dr. Artex. Also 3M’s underbody coating for protection against rust. That too is supposed to help cut sound in the cabin.

But another BR-V owner told me that he has tried the underbody coating and the damping sheets method and that nothing worked. Increased weight and expense. But did not deliver results. That is what I heard from him.

Would love to hear from people here if anyone has tried anything to cut road noise and if such efforts have been successful.

Cheers.
Old 7th November 2020, 15:09   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Would love to hear from people here if anyone has tried anything to cut road noise and if such efforts have been successful.
My recommendation would be to switch to good quality Michelin tyres.

Do you use rain deflectors on your windows?

Personally, I have used sound dampening sheets in my Micra with great results. However, each car is different & it may not work for everybody.

Check if any rubber door/window beading has fallen off or if you can add some of your own to cut down on wind noise.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 15:12   #1161
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
My recommendation would be to switch to good quality Michelin tyres.

Do you use rain deflectors on your windows?

Personally, I have used sound dampening sheets in my Micra with great results. However, each car is different & it may not work for everybody.

Check if any rubber door/window beading has fallen off or if you can add some of your own to cut down on wind noise.
No to the rain deflectors. And no to the faulty bearings. All is good. The car is just two years old and has been cared for well. I will investigate the tires aspect. But my sense is that that wouldn’t be sufficient. Lots of owners are having this issues. The car is stellar in the city as speeds are low. It is only on the highway that the noise becomes extensive.
Old 7th November 2020, 15:52   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
The car is stellar in the city as speeds are low. It is only on the highway that the noise becomes extensive.
Unfortunately the BR-V isn’t aerodynamic in any shape or form. At high speeds it will always suffer from aerodynamic noise of the airflow around the vehicle.
Old 8th November 2020, 11:36   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Gentlemen,

Could someone advise about sound damping in the BR-V? I am not a huge audiophile or anything like that. But the car does allow high amounts of road noise to filter into the cabin. On long drives, that amount of road noise in the cabin leads to higher levels of fatigue.

I actually enquired with local shops. They are offering damping with products such as Dr. Artex. Also 3M’s underbody coating for protection against rust. That too is supposed to help cut sound in the cabin.

But another BR-V owner told me that he has tried the underbody coating and the damping sheets method and that nothing worked. Increased weight and expense. But did not deliver results. That is what I heard from him.

Cheers.
Hi Guys,

I am also wanting to go down the same road but if the damping did not deliver results (first time I am hearing this), then I am averse to wasting money.

@Mohansrides: Can you share the quotes you have got for Dr. Artex for your BR-V. Did the quotes include the roof?

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 8th November 2020, 12:06   #1164
Team-BHP Support

My observations on BR-V cabin noise:

On freshly laid or relatively new tarmac, there is hardly any noise filtering into the cabin, even at 80+ kmph. However, on cement roads or old tarmac roads, it can get quite noisy inside the cabin. That's why my guess is that we primarily hear tyre noise (not engine or wind noise).

If anybody wants to experiment, first download a 'decibel meter' from Playstore - so that you can do a "BEFORE" and "AFTER" test. Autocar India used to measure sound inside the cabin at 40 kmph and 80 kmph using these apps.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-screenshot_20160802084850.jpg

These apps will work best on high-end phones since they usually pick up sounds better than low-end phones

You could start by applying "wheel well rubberized coating" from 3M.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-03584-Prof.../dp/B002H9CMCQ

Honda BR-V : Official Review-screenshot_2.jpg

Next step would be to apply the same 3M sound deadening material on the underside of the vehicle. I'm sure this will be available at 3M franchises. After that, try out dampmat/3M like material on BRV's floor (inside the cabin).

I wonder if using low noise tyres like Yokohama dB helps:
https://www.y-yokohama.com/global/pr...nger/advan_db/

Honda BR-V : Official Review-screenshot_1.jpg

Of the above options, I have used wheel rubberized coating (not sure about brand) when the car was new. I don't recall if that helped though

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th November 2020 at 12:12.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 15:02   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
My observations on BR-V cabin noise:

On freshly laid or relatively new tarmac, there is hardly any noise filtering into the cabin, even at 80+ kmph. However, on cement roads or old tarmac roads, it can get quite noisy inside the cabin. That's why my guess is that we primarily hear tyre noise (not engine or wind noise).

Of the above options, I have used wheel rubberized coating (not sure about brand) when the car was new. I don't recall if that helped though
Totally agree.
My BRV & polo both have similar cabin noise levels on cemented roads and cabin of both are fairly quiet on new tarmac. BRV's cabin noise could be a bit more due to thinner window glass and bigger cabin for sound to resonate?.
Both cars are shod with Good year assurance.

I have to change my BRV's tires soon hence I have been reading about such topics and the issue/solution seems to be in the tire compound (largely). On t-bhp itself there's good review about MRF perfinza that helps reduce tyre noise.

The rubberized coating isn't of much benefit reducing tire noise as I witnessed it hardly made any notable difference in my friend's Ciaz.
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:59   #1166
BHPian

I am scouting for 7 seater used vehicle. Is the BR-V is completely gone? I am hearing that they are going to release BS6 version soon?
Old 13th January 2021, 19:11   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
I am scouting for 7 seater used vehicle. Is the BR-V is completely gone? I am hearing that they are going to release BS6 version soon?
Hi carbhp

Did you go ahead with the purchase?

While it has been discontinued, the BRV shares it's engine & gearbox (at least the CVT) with the City and parts from Honda's common parts' bin (City, Amaze etc). So spares shouldn't be a problem. Haven't faced any issues so far on availability.

It's practical with good space and high GC, right proportions for narrow urban / hill roads , smooth CVT + good FE , good combo of ride and handling.

Hope this helps
FAIAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 13:48   #1168
BHPian

LTD !, literally during the Christmas holidays.

A trip to Bangalore for some pending personal work was being postponed since past few years until my wife let go of the boring "by flight" words and spoke the melodious "let's drive" words and with synchronized cacophony of kids, Bangalore/namma-bengaluru didn't seem far after all.

Way back in 2008, I had done a bike trip from Bangalore till Amritsar and in 2010 my wife and I drove down to Faridabad/NCR in our Baleno. Those were the days, less planning more driving. So, the journey if undertaken wouldn't be scary new for us, it just needed some.. planning, lol.

This narrow street was NH44 then.
Honda BR-V : Official Review-biketrip2008_1206005-1.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-biketrip2008_1215035.jpg

At the end it turned out to be be an awesome drive to remember of 4800 kms from Faridabad/NCR to Bangalore to Bombay, Daman and back.
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 2074
Size:  172.0 KB

It was quite a fun drive and fatiguing at times, but it was more of the former than latter hence I’d been covering upwards of 1000kms a day I suppose.

Started from NCR on 25th Dec ~230AM as sleep escaped me due to excitement of long drive up ahead. First stop at Nagpur 430PM (`1100kms) and then the next morning started from Nagpur (`9AM) and reached hotel at Marthahalli, Bangalore by midnight, total of 2175kms

On the return, started from Bangalore on 31st Dec ~7AM, reached Mumbai 11PM; next morning on Jan 1st , started from Mumbai (9AM) for Daman, exited Daman (~2PM) for home/NCR and reached at 9AM on 2nd Jan

Highlights of the Journey:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687570730.jpg

Shortest stretch: Faridabad till Nagpur, 14hrs, ~1100kms
Longest stretch: Daman till Faridabad, 19hrs, ~1300kms
FE: 14.1 kms/L
Saw the massive KIA plant in AP (to my eyes, surpassed only by TATA motors in Pune)
Saw similar sized MG plant in Godhra/GJ but was not as massive KIA plant.
Avoided speed tickets a few times (lol)
Nostalgic visit to Bangalore after almost a decade that was home for 2 decades.
Lots of time locked up in car with wife (can’t escape topics of their interest :P) and kids.

Likes about the car:
Served the purpose very well for which it was bought – Space; family of four and luggage and shopping bags along the way, no problem.
Smooth ivtec/CVT combo with paddle shifters worked flawlessly, delivering power on demand.
There aren’t any long drives without a few scary moments on our highways and the luck part is getting out of it unscathed. There were 2 moments when there was a bovine and a dog appearing suddenly, and I had to do a rapid swerve at high speed to miss these creatures by millimeters. The car held itself in line and stabilized soon during the maneuver.

Dislikes about the car:
While I have gotten used to expecting it, but I cringe at times due to the rubber band effect.
How I so wished it had Cruise control (work around: I use a plastic cricket wicket to hold the accelerator down at times for few seconds)

Scary Fun moment:
At a toll somewhere near KA, I reached a booth and stopped about 3 meters or so behind this 16wheeler truck. It was taking more than a few seconds and I moved car in N. Soon after the truck started reversing and my family started overreacting due to which I panicked a bit and spent the next few seconds trying to put the gear in R; I even saw the darn S mode on the instrument console but no R while the truck kept on creeping back in front of us. By grace of what, I don’t know just at the nick of the time, not more than a cm perhaps to impact, I got the car in R mode and reversed (and.. luckily there was no vehicle behind me, phew!!). All this drama would have lasted 3-4 seconds but felt like slow torture; heart pounding at the end, me wondering something as simple and routine as slotting the gear in normal times becomes complex under time and pressure. Laughs of relief at the end inside the car.

Closing this post with a few pics.

Butter smooth NH4; somewhere in MH

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687570727.jpg

Bypassing Nagpur city and odo when docking at Nagpur for the night

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687570722.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687570718.jpg

Nearing Kurnool/AP

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687570714.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687570710.jpg

Outskirts of Bangalore and a flat after parking at hotel in Bangalore

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687570696.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687570705.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687570700.jpg

On the return leg:

Crossing Chikmagalur

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687855320.jpg

Jampore Beach, Daman

In good company of the iconic Safari

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687855297.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687855302.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687855306.jpg

Slow life , deserted roads of Old Daman

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687855310.jpg

Stopped at McDonald's Kolhapur (same spot 10 yrs ago from Bangalore to Delhi, on Baleno)

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687855316.jpg

Early morning exiting Jaipur

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687855292.jpg

Reached Home (total distance from Bangalore to Home)

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687855288.jpg

--------
few pics for memory sake where and around the young me spent priceless moments years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687855328.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687855332.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1610687855334.jpg  

wangdu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 20:06   #1169
BHPian

Hi all, I have been following this thread since the beginning and i should say this has helped me a lot in many ways. I am glad that i am now a member and could post my first one on this thread.

I got my BRV in Apr 2017 and it has been a love hate relationship from the beginning. I have owned i10 and Honda City before i got the BRV. My kids seem to love this car as they have enough space to carry all the things that they want on all our long trips. I usually lay inflatable bed in the 2nd row where they can sleep and 3rd row is where they can sit and play during the long trips.

Having said this, there have been quite a few niggles that i have been facing since the beginning.

1. AC is completely ineffective during summers. Even if i turn on to the max, the cabin does not cool. I had taken several times to Honda Service where they checked it, refilled gas several times. They had not noted any leaks and they still have not identified the solution. They seem to acknowledge the issue though. I have not put any type of film on the windshield and windows. Will it help and if yes, which one should i go for without having to worry about fines.

2. The AC Air-flow slider is flimsy. It kept breaking and i after a few months stopped using it altogether. I just roll down the windows to let the air flow and then turn on AC.

3. Windows are jittery. It either needs to be rolled down or up completely and can not be driven with windows slid down half way. They vibrate a lot and seems it cannot withstand high speeds. I usually don’t like rolling down the window half way but it still the issue cannot be neglected.

4. As i was new to CVTs and automatics, i did not initially get the hang of effective use of accelerator and my FE dropped to 6 to7. Then it steadied and remains at 9 in city and 14/15 on Highways. My Honda City (Manual) used to give me 12 in City and 15 on Highways.

5. THough i could say i am nitpicking, I did not like the ICE and horn that came with the car. I upgraded both. For the ICE, i got a Sony XAV5000 head unit and an alpine underseat sub. THere is tremendous improvement in sound quality now. i have retained the stock speakers.

6. I did not expect that the middle rows will be smaller than the ones in Honda City. Seating 3 adults in the middle row is not a good option on long journeys. Also since the space under the seats are not much, stretching the legs would be a big issue. This is especially a huge concern for people seated in 3rd row. I was wondering if any of you have tried increasing the seat heights in the 2nd and 3rd rows.

7. The Seat cushions are not that comfy as you get in Honda City. Since Honda BRV and City are priced equally, the seat comfort seems to be a compromise.

8. It has poor noise insulation. Road noise / tyre noise etc.. seep into the cabin and is quite distracting at high speeds. I still use the stock tyres (Goodyear). Honda City suffered with same issue but not to the extend BRV does. I counter the cabin noise with relatively mild music. This sort of reduces the distraction.. For a 15 lak car, this seems a huge let down.

Though i have highlighted a few niggles that i have been facing, i am quite happy with the car and am planning to use it for the next 5 years without questions. I would be glad if you can let me know if you faced similar issues. if yes, how did you tackle / rectify them, especially on increasing seat height to make room underneath, AC ineffectiveness and Cabin noise.
Vikashmalya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:45   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post

1. AC is completely ineffective during summers. Even if i turn on to the max, the cabin does not cool. I had taken several times to Honda Service where they checked it, refilled gas several times. They had not noted any leaks and they still have not identified the solution. They seem to acknowledge the issue though. I have not put any type of film on the windshield and windows. Will it help and if yes, which one should i go for without having to worry about fines.

2. The AC Air-flow slider is flimsy. It kept breaking and i after a few months stopped using it altogether. I just roll down the windows to let the air flow and then turn on AC.

3. Windows are jittery. It either needs to be rolled down or up completely and can not be driven with windows slid down half way. They vibrate a lot and seems it cannot withstand high speeds. I usually don’t like rolling down the window half way but it still the issue cannot be neglected.

8. It has poor noise insulation. Road noise / tyre noise etc.. seep into the cabin and is quite distracting at high speeds. I still use the stock tyres (Goodyear). Honda City suffered with same issue but not to the extend BRV does. I counter the cabin noise with relatively mild music. This sort of reduces the distraction.. For a 15 lak car, this seems a huge let down.

I'd comment on 2 points - AC effectiveness & noise insulation

AC issues: In addition to the checks you have done at Honda service center, see if below helps.
A) I was told by AC mechanic that humid environment makes it tougher on ACs as most of the AC effort is expended on removing the moisture. So given the sultry conditions, you doing #2 aggravates the issue I think. So, have the slider fixed and use it often to not get it stuck.

B) Try using good quality fully synthetic engine oil ; it'll help keep engine cool and perform relatively better.

C) Keep the battery in top condition as summer days which you get most of, as heat zaps car's battery which would in turn impact AC performance.

D) I use magnetic/zipper curtains and these type help a lot.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, do take your car to outside reputed AC mechanic. These specialists can do wonders sometimes.

Noise insulation:
I've narrowed down to doing one or more of the following (and seeking more/better solutions):
1. Rubber coating in wheel wells (not so promising if #3 not done)
2. 3M acoustic solution
3. Softer compound tires -

---

Cheers !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks