Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2017, 10:34   #706

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Just wanted to share my trip Experience from Bangalore to Harihara = 250+Kms on my Honda BRV Petrol.

Load: 3 adults + 4 kids (less than 10 yrs) + luggage fully loaded at back.

From Bangalore to Harihar = 19.7kms/ltr, maximum speed 90 kms/hr.

From Harihar to Bangalore = 17.2 kms/ltr, average speed 100 kms/hr, which did eat up the fuel economy which I had gained earlier.
vandanegalu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 13:58   #707
BHPian

Few weeks back I took a test drive of the BRV. I wanted the automatic, but had to settle for the diesel manual as they did not have the automatic for test drive.
While the drive itself was uneventful in that I did not find any major drawback nor did it have any stellar standout character. Typical Japanese build, light steering, predictable handling, somewhat poor ride quality. But the interior was the biggest downer for me, particularly the dash. The material and finish is not what a 16lakh on road value car should have. It did not feel any better than my 7yr old Figo. My wife's 6yr old i10 had much better interior finish. Even the display car did not give that feel of a new car on stepping in. The Jazz had a much better finish. It would be good if they could match that.

All said and done, I might still go for it as the other 7 seater are mostly beyond my price range.
I am still waiting for the Hexa. Still dont have a display vehicle in my town.
Old 28th February 2017, 14:01   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Vandanegalu! I have zeroed in on this car but the diesel version in particular. I'm not seeing anything else in the same spec (Ertiga looks boring). Would you recommend it? Do you think hydrolock would be any issue? Hows the sales and service in Blor? Any drawbacks?

Sorry to ask so many questions, as I had taken a test drive of petrol model on my last visit and loved it, but really wanted to be sure.
First, Ertiga, which is around Rs 3 lakh cheaper, may be good or not good depending upon your requirement. In any case you will not get the space, refinement, ground-clearance, tyre-size and brand-value of Honda BRV in Maruti Ertiga.

On Diesel version I've my opinion, especially for BRV. This is of course not to comment on your buying decision but for in general.

1. BRV petrol is more powerful (albeit less torque)
2. But use of more torque results in even higher noise level, and petrol is Super silent.
3. Availability of automatic
4. More acceptance for petrol from environment point of view
5. Cost of ownership is favourable for diesel from Rs zero/km to Rs 1/km when your yearly running is from 10 k kilometers to 20 k kilometers (or you run your car for travel business). Less than 10 k running per year makes the diesel car costlier to own. (I have a calculation sheet that I can share if anyone desires)

Hope this may help you and others.

My pick is simply petrol automatic. Just waiting for update from Honda like that happened in Malaysia and other SE Asian countries.
kbishwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 15:02   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post

All said and done, I might still go for it as the other 7 seater are mostly beyond my price range.
I am still waiting for the Hexa. Still dont have a display vehicle in my town.
I had also considered Hexa before finalizing BRV CVT AT. After doing TD & researching I concluded that my BRV CVT (Oct'16 model) would make more sense to me as it is less costly, lighter, nimbler, quieter, more efficient, proven iVTec and Honda's reliability/a*s*s is peace of mind compared to other two. I didn't like the dash of BRV too (liked XUV's) but i replaced the stock audio with alpine AVN and it looks way better.

btw, you might want to check late '16 models if the dealers have 'em in stock for attractive discounts (like I got). Cheers !
Old 28th February 2017, 17:50   #710
BHPian

I am using BR-V IVTEC V for almost 4 months now. Have done ~3500 KMs so far. Choosing BR-V was more rejection of other options than selection of BR-V. Like we all have experienced options for 7 Seater are limited.
XUV - was expensive plus I did not want to buy Diesel
Ertiga - was considered seriously, however bland looks, excessive usage as Cab pushed me to look away
Innova - way beyond my budget
Xylo - not considered, too much body-roll, boring looks

So finally it was between Ertiga and BR-V and I chose the later.

After using it for 4 months, I absolutely love the car!
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 21:11   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
I had also considered Hexa before finalizing BRV CVT AT. After doing TD & researching I concluded that my BRV CVT (Oct'16 model) would make more sense to me as it is less costly, lighter, nimbler, quieter, more efficient, proven iVTec and Honda's reliability/a*s*s is peace of mind compared to other two. I didn't like the dash of BRV too (liked XUV's) but i replaced the stock audio with alpine AVN and it looks way better.

btw, you might want to check late '16 models if the dealers have 'em in stock for attractive discounts (like I got). Cheers !

Yes, Ultimately it is a very practical car for us 7 seater hunters on a budget. Particularly where 7 seats are used occasionally and we don't want to carry the bulk of Innova/Hexa always.
The other is Lodgy. Again a very practical car, but the boxy rear is a put off for a family car.Besides I have to travel 60kms for Renault service.
The sales representative also told me they can get good offers on late 2016 models
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 16:41   #712
BHPian

BRV may find a threat from its own stable of Honda launches in India. Yes, it is strongly possible that Honda W-RV may cannibalize its elder brother BRV. For all those prospects for whom 7 seats not a priority. Not everyone who buys BRV has a family size of 5+, many have additional cars also.

Moreover, the equipment levels, which certainly these days influence a buying decision, are much better in case of India bound W-RV to be launched anytime in 3rd week of March.
kbishwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:07   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
BRV may find a threat from its own stable of Honda launches in India. ...
I think otherwise that WRV won't pose any threat to BRV. That's because customers who need max 5 or less seating (with less luggage) might not seriously consider BRV anyway. WRV is compact SUV and would seat 4 adults max (comfortably) with some luggage, like Ecosport/Brezza. From the looks and specs, WRV seems to focus on youth while BRV's focus is family & more.

Talking about equipment levels, yes the factory product may lack a few but those are available as accessories, the important ones being touch-screen AVN, rear parking sensors w/ camera. More over per the specs on team-bhp news, certain features like key less entry, start-stop system etc. is available only on diesel variant of WRV unlike BRV in which these are provided in top petrol variants. So people inclined towards petrol and also want these features may then look at BRV or somewhere else. Lastly BRV provides CVT in top trim (WRV doesn't), has more powerful engine compared to WRV which of course makes sense given the additional people/load BRV is supposed to move around which could mean that people who prefer AT and/or give more weight-age to power aspects may see value in BRV or elsewhere instead of WRV.

my 2 cents. cheers !

Last edited by wangdu : 2nd March 2017 at 10:27.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 11:34   #714
BHPian

Have been following this thread for a while now. My existing car is an AStar AT which is an absolute beauty to drive in the City and was looking for a 6-7 seater vehicle for the family.

My needs and usage pattern is for a comfortable
1-4 Seater (50% Usage)
6 Seater (30% Usage)
7 Seater (20% Usage)

My choice was limited to BRV or a pre-owned vehicle by process of elimination too, similar to Ulhas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
I am using BR-V IVTEC V for almost 4 months now. Have done ~3500 KMs so far. Choosing BR-V was more rejection of other options than selection of BR-V. Like we all have experienced options for 7 Seater are limited.
XUV - Not really a fan of the car and lack of Boot space
Ertiga - Rejected primarily due to lack of boot space.
Xylo - Not considered.
Innova Crysta - Was not within budget.
Hexa - The XM could have come with stretched budget but did not consider it due to lack of safety features compared to XT.

BRV - Jack of all, and also has a CVT which was alluring.
The recent dealer discounts make it little better priced. Was almost going to book it, but could not get myself to make a down payment. Had a test drive 3 times and it was always the second choice. It is good package for what it does, but if we look around, there are options around where the product is placed. As for me, i considered the BRV mainly because,
  • 6/7 Seater
  • No requirement for a Diesel engine.
  • Auto Transmission
If only Honda had equipped this better or priced it better to make it an automatic choice for people looking for a part time 7 seater !sigh!

Have finally decided to look at pre-owned Innova with Captain Seats from ToyotaUTrust portfolio. If i find one, will be going down that route. Will definitely miss the automatic tranny of the BRV but can live with as I don't expect the second car to be my daily drive within the city.
kaushikr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 11:54   #715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
Have been following this thread for a while now. My existing car is an AStar AT which is an absolute beauty to drive in the City
Quote:
XUV - lack of Boot space
Ertiga - Rejected primarily due to lack of boot space.
Xylo - Not considered.
Innova Crysta - Was not within budget.
BRV - Jack of all, and also has a CVT which was alluring.
Quote:
It is good package for what it does, but if we look around, there are options around where the product is placed. As for me, i considered the BRV mainly because,
  • 6/7 Seater
  • No requirement for a Diesel engine.
  • Auto Transmission
Our 'other car' and 'views/requirements' are quite similar.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_184058_1_p.jpg

Quote:
Will definitely miss the automatic tranny of the BRV but can live with as I don't expect the second car to be my daily drive within the city.
Automatic for city and manual for highway is flawed logic. All our highway drives are like city drives in fast-forward mode. Next time, ask your son/daughter to count the number of gearshifts you do on a 100 km drive.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 12:06   #716
BHPian

Dear smartcat,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the updates you had on the BRV all along. Thank you for that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Our 'other car' and 'views/requirements' are quite similar.
Very True to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Automatic for city and manual for highway is flawed logic. All our highway drives are like city drives in fast-forward mode. Next time, ask your son/daughter to count the number of gearshifts you do on a 100 km drive.
Regarding the Automatic Vs Manual, would tend to agree with you. Did a recent 800kms drive on AStar and was not very fatiguing because of the Autobox in there, but the comfort of the Autobox is much more evident in the City.

As for my purchase, all available options seems to be a bit of a compromise at this point, hence the choice by elimination and not selection, but I would expect the Innova's 2nd row captains seats to be more comfortable for the other passengers.

The BRV is very close second. If i don't find a good example in the used market, my money might still end up going to Honda's coffers.
kaushikr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 19:30   #717
Senior - BHPian

@BR-V (CVT) owners: Now that you've logged some miles on your cars, what sort of FE are you getting in city and highway runs?
Old 5th March 2017, 19:43   #718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
@BR-V (CVT) owners: Now that you've logged some miles on your cars, what sort of FE are you getting in city and highway runs?
City: 8 to 12 kmpl, based on usage (short/long runs), traffic conditions and road type (Eg: normal city roads vs ring road)

Highway: 12 to 18 kmpl, based on road type (4 lane vs 2 lane), traffic conditions, load conditions (luggage + number of people) and how trigger (accelerator) happy you are.

My car is used 100% on highways these days and my current average is 15 kmpl (2 adults + 2 kids, tonnes of luggage, 80 to 100 kmph cruise, rapid acceleration in sports/drive mode sometimes, a mix of 4 lane and 2 lane highways).

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20170228_083935_p.jpg

As I mentioned previously, the fuel costs of BRV petrol is more or less equal to fuel costs of XUV500, Innova Crysta & Hexa diesels - all of which have weight disadvantage affecting their fuel economy.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 23:17   #719

I have clocked 8000km in 6months and my FE in City =10-12 kmpl and in highways= 14-17 kmpl. Totally agree with Smartcat regarding accelerator use.
Dr.Kiranmoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 15:46   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Kiranmoy View Post
I have clocked 8000km in 6months and my FE in City =10-12 kmpl and in highways= 14-17 kmpl. Totally agree with Smartcat regarding accelerator use.
I think it would always be better to mention vehicle loading and travel span (both local and highway) while mentioning fuel economy out of many variables.

However, this figure is really appealing. My Fabia 1.6 also gives similar economy. 130 km highway run returns 15 kmpl, with 5 adults and abundant use of accelerator, and AC always on. In town, it returns 11-12 kmpl for 30 km run, 5 adults. Tyre pressure as recommended by manufacturer. My Nano XT returns more than 15 kmpl, whatever the condition
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks