Team-BHP - Honda BR-V : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Honda BR-V : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/176456-honda-br-v-official-review-27.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kratos453 (Post 4002888)
BRV vs CRETA:
I think CRETA is the biggest competitor for BRV more than any other car.

Where BRV wins over CRETA:
- 7 seater
- Handling
- More stable at higher speeds
- CRETA’s light steering
- Honda's CVT

Lesser cost of acquisition
iVTEC :thumbs up
Waiting period of Creta

Quote:

Where CRETA wins over BRV:
- Better looks (Though subjective, if we are asked to vote CRETA will win in this department)
- Premium Interior quality
- Feature rich
- CRETA's Diesel engine is far more refined and far better to drive in comparison

Diesel AT
Wider choice of Engine/Transmission option - 1.6 VTVT MT, 1.6 VTVT AT, 1.4 CRDi, 1.6 CRDi MT, 1.6 CRDi AT
Safety features - 6 airbags
Attitude of Honda dealerships - Buy it or leave it, its a Honda lol:

Quote:

- Honda's CVT

IMO TC is better suited for bigger cars than CVT

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doylthippo (Post 4002954)
Sir, They have imposed the speed limit only on diesel and not on petrol. If they are not confident about their platform doing those speeds, they should have imposed on petrol as well.

Nope, BR-V petrol also has the lock. My dealer has just confirmed the same by taking with Honda.

Edit: He has also confirmed that Brio, Amaze and Mobilio petrol's has the same lock. They are not sure why and please buy a Jazz or City if I was concerned was their reply.

Saw the BR-V in the metal today when I went to give my City for servicing.
Regardless of the width of the car (wider than the City I believe), 3 abreast in the middle seat is more comfortable in my 3rd gen City. Perhaps the City has more shoulder room, and better contoured seats.
But it's certainly not as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be. I could certainly sit there (I am a pretty broad guy) with 2 other folks for a city journey without a lot of issues.

The accessories dude called up today and said MyAVN (Caska) unit is out of stock and instead offering MapmyIndia IceNav 701 unit. This unit is priced at Rs. 31,000 on Snapdeal.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/mapm...mbLabelId:3506

Honda BR-V : Official Review-mapmyindiaicenav701touchscreenstereosdl867091473142629.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra (Post 4002955)
IMO TC is better suited for bigger cars than CVT

Because of petrol engine's low end torque delivery, CVT is better suited than Torque convertors. A 6 speed torque convertor on a tiny 1.5 litre engine will result in a jerky ride during hill climbs, ghat sections and city traffic - because there will not be enough power at low engine RPM. This will force the 6 speed AT unit to keep changing gears. But CVT will keep engine RPM between 1500 and 2500 RPM resulting in a ultra smooth drive.

The above problem is unlikely to be there in a diesel's 6 speed unit (Creta/XUV500), because of good torque at lower engine RPM, under similar conditions (hill climb, ghat sections, city drives). Gearshifts will be less frequent (than in a petrol car) since the engine can lug the car with ease at low RPMs.

Small CC Petrol? CVT
Big CC Diesel? 6 Speed AT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nd4$pd (Post 4003170)
But it's certainly not as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be. I could certainly sit there (I am a pretty broad guy) with 2 other folks for a city journey without a lot of issues.

Yeah, 3 people seated in the middle row is not really a problem in BRV. The seat width is lower than other vehicles, but its just a few cms here and there. It won't be as comfortable as your Honda City or XUV 500 though. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 4003232)
Because of petrol engine's low end torque delivery, CVT is better suited than Torque convertors. A 6 speed torque convertor on a tiny 1.5 litre engine will result in a jerky ride during hill climbs, ghat sections and city traffic - because there will not be enough power at low engine RPM. This will force the 6 speed AT unit to keep changing gears. But CVT will keep engine RPM between 1500 and 2500 RPM resulting in a ultra smooth drive.

Small CC Petrol? CVT
Big CC Diesel? 6 Speed AT.

Things have changed since past few years. Many manufacturers use CVT including Audi / Chrysler/ Nissan / Fiat / Suzuki and obviously Honda depending on the models. Nissan has mated a 3.6 Litre engine car with CVT, which is not exactly a small engine.

There are various CVT designs, some are used in heavy agricultural equipment and even Tanks like the Hydro-static versions. So the limiting factor of small engine of CVT is not very relevant today. Having said that, all AT transmission types have their pros and cons. I would personally prefer a DCT over both for fun, for smoothness nothing can beat a CVT.

Also being a belt and no gears, CVT will always give you more mileage over a TC.

Quote:

Yeah, 3 people seated in the middle row is not really a problem in BRV. The seat width is lower than other vehicles, but its just a few cms here and there. It won't be as comfortable as your Honda City or XUV 500 though. :)
Innova is high up there in space. Still, my brothers' Crysta ZX AT is also a 6 seater. You cannot be comfortable in the third-row with three people and second row is captain seats anyway. I would say BR-V is a very comfortable 6 seater, while for short distances it is a reasonable 7 seater.

My dealer is not giving any discount on accessories, should I change my dealer and before booking the BR V,
Ask for discount and in writing because this one has gone back from his word

Hey guys,

Another visit to the dealership, some more updates:

1) Measured seat width of my Santro, n city n brv, city is 130 cms, Santro n brv 120 cms!! So as Santro was a certified 5 seater, no wonder brv claims to be a 7 seater! Anyways, now i know what to expect during long drives, and on the plus side, extra headroom and leg room over the Santro, and rear ac vents should comfort the 3rd passenger on 2nd row!

2) Another interesting thing I found was this flipbook kept on each of the 4 tables they had, typical salesman's marketing guide, doubt if such one-sided hardsell will do the magic in this internet age, but well, couldn't resist sharing!!

Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv-better1.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv-better2.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv-better3.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv-better4.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv-better5.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv-better6.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv-better7.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv-better8.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv-better9.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hvt77 (Post 4003712)
2) Another interesting thing I found was this flipbook kept on each of the 4 tables they had, typical salesman's marketing guide, doubt if such one-sided hardsell will do the magic in this internet age, but well, couldn't resist sharing!!

Silly comparison indeed!
They say Honda got ACE body structure for safety and the Creta do not have it. Hyundai can say the Creta got AHSS which the BR-V doesn't have. 6 airbags, ESC, Hill-start Assist - they have enough to give back. And superior styling... Really? :)

On Head on perspective, BRV really looks superior than Creta. But yes it loses to Creta only on sides. IMHO Hyundai designs are something which attract people just in a couple of stances. Honda designs take more time to go into people and convince them. In fact they are packaging experts.

Went to Magnum Honda at Kanakapura Road on Saturday to check out the BR-V. Wanted to test drive the AT, Sales guy says AT is not available. So I ask him to get the Car home (I live 1 km away). He says I will get it tomorrow.

Come Monday morning.. still waiting for the call. Called up and gave them a piece of my mind. :Frustrati

Hi vvnagan
I find them lousy with respect to follow up and this is especially after having pre-booked an AT. Last time I contacted they had to share the only AT test drive vehicle with their Mekri circle branch.
Anyway my Sales contact Venkat @ +91 98-80-814696 was still better responding to my calls promptly and also bought the car to test drive to my house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvnagan (Post 4004336)
Went to Magnum Honda at Kanakapura Road on Saturday to check out the BR-V. Wanted to test drive the AT, Sales guy says AT is not available. So I ask him to get the Car home (I live 1 km away). He says I will get it tomorrow.

Come Monday morning.. still waiting for the call. Called up and gave them a piece of my mind. :Frustrati

I visited the showroom twice (a different one) and asked for a BR-V test drive. Both times they promised a call back. The most recent request was one month ago. They are yet to get back to me. Honda sales folks are some of the most disinterested salespersons I have personally interacted with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksons (Post 4003694)
My dealer is not giving any discount on accessories, should I change my dealer and before booking the BR V,
Ask for discount and in writing because this one has gone back from his word

Changing your dealer will put you back in queue with the new dealer. What can be done is to check with the 2nd dealer, if he can fit accessories on your car purchased from the 1st dealer, if he is willing to offer discounts. The same can be done immediately upon delivery or you can send your car for the first service and get the same done at that time. No compulsion on getting the accessories fitted from the dealer you buy your car from.

Thanks harishhm74 and Mustang_Shelby for your replies.

Going by their attitude during sales, I don't even want to think about their behavior when it comes to Service :eek:. Having second thoughts about this dealer. Anybody on the forum have any opinions on Magnum Honda?

I believe none of the Honda dealerships are good in Bengaluru at present. Based on this I'm keeping my choices limited to Suzuki and Hyundai as of now. Thinking of finalising the Brezza or Creta in August on my annual trip.