Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 16:50   #346
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Finally took the Test drive of the HONDA-BRV .,

-& Totally Impressed on the Handling & Acceleration of its Petrol Variant.

Sharing.. Some of Pictures Ive took to Check its Road presence, which I felt is very Commendable!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-1.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-2.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-2a.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-2b.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-2c.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-3.jpg  

kalleo4 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 09:27   #347
BHPian

Guys, I have one question to people who did test drive BRV.

I would like to know the car performance on both petrol and diesel variants when its fully loaded passengers + AC. Specifically on lower gears.
Can u guys please help me out.
Old 16th June 2016, 10:27   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetamkabra View Post
Hi Guys,
Brought the BRV home y'day. 350 kms drive from Aurangabad. Lemme yell you friends, or it was really effortless drive. Very good experience. I was totally not tired.
Good air conditioning, good suspension and great visibility. Also attracted little bit of attention due to it's new looks and road presence.
It's a V Diesel in metallic brown.
The car looks lovely. Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Agree with you completely.
One small correction - I think, the set of "Niche buyers" that you refer are actually the "bigger mass general public" who are not picky in most cases.

Prem.
Given the number of Ertigas and Innovas running as private cars, yes, there does seem to be a large demand for carrying more people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmichael View Post
A humble request to Honda, please do not try to fool us with such mockeries. Do bring in genuine products are we will accept them with all our hearts.
Nobody is fooling anyone or forcing you to part with your money.
The very fact that people are disappointed about this offering from Honda shows that the Honda brand has an image and perception different from many others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
But saying that, I doubt Honda is trying to fool anyone. All the features are clearly mentioned and it is up to the customer to decide.

The point is that BR-V appeals to certain niche of buyers who,

a. Have parents and kids with space for kids to lie down and sleep when required.

b. Do not want the car to look like a MPV and would like to have good GC. General car buying public does not really care if the car is based on Brio or a Ferrari platform. Fact is that most do not even know that there is a car platform.

c. Want an efficient no-nonsense vehicle which is reliable, efficient and has a good brand value.

This niche of buyers are quite a lot actually (most of mid level managers) and I feel that Honda has done it right by positioning the BR-V where it currently stands. I myself went to book the City or Jazz but family felt much more comfortable in the BR-V. I feel this happening with many buyers.

Could it have been priced some 75K lower ? Absolutely. Could it have had more interior features or better interior quality ? Definitely. But this does not take away the USP of the BR-V which are its six usable seats, very comfortable ride and handling for a SUV/MPV/Streched Brio/(Whatever one wants to call it), Honda reliability/badge and relative affordability.
Well said.
The height of the BR-V actually puts it in a very sweet spot. Not as low as a sedan but not as high as the trucks. It also means that for the majority of time you're carrying lesser unused weight and size compared to an XUV/Innova. In this day and age, efficiency matters.
aptiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 10:44   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptiwa View Post
The number of Ertigas and Innovas running as private cars, yes, there does seem to be a large demand for carrying more people.
Only Ertiga and Innova has been able to crack open this segment till date, one at the value end and the other at the premium end of the people mover segment.

Hopefully, Honda's move from Mobilio to BRV can help them climb into this elite list- the way it tries to mask it's people mover pretentions with SUV aspirations and priced right in between the other two.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-mpvsales.jpg

http://www.autocarpro.in/analysis-sa...a-market-20313

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th June 2016 at 10:48.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 11:21   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post

I would like to know the car performance on both petrol and diesel variants when its fully loaded passengers + AC. Specifically on lower gears.
I test drove the CVT variant, more than fully loaded with 6 adults and 1 kid, as I mentioned, on a pretty steep incline in my complex, on a a dead stop, when i released the brakes, the BRV did go back a bit, I had to step on the pedal a bit to get it to move ahead. But once moving, there was no hassle.

And even 3rd row passengers did not complain about (lack of) AC, they were pretty comfortable.

Mind you, I just did a small 2-3 kms test drive with just that one steep incline.
Hvt77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 12:10   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post

I got a chance to test drive the CVT variant and Diesel VX variant on consecutive days for around 3-4 kms near my office in BKC.

The CVT version test drive was done with only 2 adults. Found the car to be fantastic for city driving in the traffic. But did feel the rubber band effect in one road stretch when I pushed the accelerator. Since I am new to driving an automatic version, maybe I am still on the learning curve on how to handle the accelerator paddle.

While test driving the Diesel variant, the car was loaded with 6 adults. There was a slight power lag in the diesel car at low speed but nothing to complain about. I guess I was mentally prepared for it after reading the BHP member reviews. Certainly, wouldn't say that the car is underpowered.

Couldn't test both the cars at high speeds though ( i.e.> 70 kmph).

Overall, I found the test drive experience to be good with both the cars. Hence, still confused which version to go for. Its a "heart" says petrol while "Mind" says diesel conundrum.
nekfar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 14:07   #352
BHPian

Couple of updates and shots:

I wanted to see the difference between Orchid White PF and Tafetta White in BR-V, finally the dealer told me they have both and told me they will keep both side by side, so went to the dealer today. Difference is subtle in shade but in sun-light and at night with any light shining on it there is a significant difference and the Pearl finish shows clearly over the regular one. Here's a shot in shade, the one in left is the Orchid W right is Tefetta W.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-white-color.jpg

Four popular colors of BR-V were available in the showroom, all looked nice, personal choice is white and silver. The dealer has delivered 10-12 BR-Vs till now they have two CVTs also for delivery, not the color I had booked so even though I was number one, I am still waiting, I will get the car before end of June though, so its fine. CVT has the highest waiting followed by MT Petrol VX / V. Diesel S E V etc. were available within a week.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-brvs-line.jpg

Petrol MT short TD

Since I had a bit of time, I did a TD of the CVT again and a Petrol VX MT. MT is more fun, but Paddle shifters also do a commendable job. One thing I noticed even on Petrol, same as Diesel, the gear slotting is not that great, it feels short throw, but was notchy quite a few times, earlier I thought it was only the Diesel. Everything else same. The driver seat height adjustment in BR-V really makes a difference in seating position, the seat travel is quite a bit, which is a good thing. Here is a shot of the fuel tank lever and fabric cut around it of the CVT TD vehicle, looks about right.

The dealer also had a customized Petrol MT E base version, which looked interesting, am adding in a separate post.
-xplora- is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 14:20   #353
Senior - BHPian

Saw my first BRV in white colour today. It lacks the presence mainly due to the narrow body and the hip line.
Old 16th June 2016, 14:55   #354
BHPian

Few shots of the dealer customised Petrol MT E base variant :

- Alloy Wheels
- Glossy Vinyl wrapping of roof, D pillar, and front hood (that particular wrapping looked odd to me, should've done those standard sport stripes)
- AVN which was not a standard Honda accessory (But seemed like Caska with MapmyIndia Nav)
- Plastic cladding and interiors were polished and looked very good and premium

Quoted 34k for the AVN and 30k for the Vinyl.

PS: Light was not optimum and was in a hurry so bare with the quality of the shots.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-1.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-2.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-3.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-4.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-5.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-6.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-7.jpg
-xplora- is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 16:35   #355
BHPian

Could be an "unofficial" media drive, but nonetheless ...

http://www.zigwheels.com/forum/posts...ra-scorpio-4wd
Old 16th June 2016, 22:11   #356

We see that everyone are commenting on Honda BR-V as a practical SUV. I feel that the way it looks is highly subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

One can easily come to terms with Honda missing out on comforts like touch screen, navigation, cruise control etc. However does anyone not think that a so called practical car with fairly big footprint should have come equipped with rear disc brakes and reverse parking sensors?

I feel that the only usp of BR-V is its 7 seating capacity and petrol engine . Other than this I feel that creta and s-cross are much better engineered cars with lot more essential safety features and better diesel engines.

Please note that this is strictly my opinion.
achu411 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 23:52   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu411 View Post
However does anyone not think that a so called practical car with fairly big footprint should have come equipped with rear disc brakes and reverse parking sensors?
Rear disc brakes will not significantly reduce braking distance in a light weight FWD car. The only disadvantage of drum brakes in these type of cars is brake fade - the effectiveness of the rear brakes reduces when they get overheated (like driving downhill spiritedly). Anyway, engine braking gives you more control while going downhill - so use it and avoid brake fade. OVERDRIVE magazine used to print braking 80 kmph to zero braking distances (not sure if they do that now). I expect 80 - 0 braking distances of Mobilio/BR-V to be good.

Reverse parking sensor is a Rs.6,000 optional extra.

Personally, I'm quite used to parking the old fashioned way from the past 12 years on two different 4.5 metre long cars - contorting neck muscles and making a calculated guess on the extremities of the vehicle. BR-V should be easier to park than sedans because there is no extended boot.

Meanwhile, I'm having second thoughts about getting rid of OEM button based HU and going for a touchscreen one. Are the modern touchscreen HUs glitch free over 3, 4, 5 years? Or do they hang up, crash or slow down like a smartphone's touchscreen?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ors-india.html
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 03:01   #358
Senior - BHPian

The touchscreen ones dont last very long. The software develops glitches and packs up very soon, maybe because of the rugged requirements. I carry a high power BT player whenever I travel in India, meets my full requirements. Attaching a pic.

Quote; Are the modern touchscreen HUs glitch free over 3, 4, 5 years? Or do they hang up, crash or slow down like a smartphone's touchscreen?
Attached Images

Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 06:17   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
Few shots of the dealer customised Petrol MT E base variant
Is that a petrol MT model ? The reason is that i can see the tachometer only till 5000 rpm while the CVT model tends to have the meter marked till 8000 rpm.

Is there any difference between RPM limits on CVT vs Manual ?
Old 17th June 2016, 08:31   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The touchscreen ones dont last very long. The software develops glitches and packs up very soon, maybe because of the rugged requirements. I carry a high power BT player whenever I travel in India, meets my full requirements. Attaching a pic.

Quote; Are the modern touchscreen HUs glitch free over 3, 4, 5 years? Or do they hang up, crash or slow down like a smartphone's touchscreen?
I have been using a Pioneer one for 5 years now. Since you dont upgrade the software, they usually function the same as they used to. There are less chances to screw up if initially they are stable and good.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks