Team-BHP - Honda BR-V : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Honda BR-V : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/176456-honda-br-v-official-review-12.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 3985190)
I don't think customer deliveries have started yet

I guess you want something like this - totally flat 2nd and 3rd row seats.

but its not the 2nd row that's the problem. It tumbles away leaving a flat floor.

It's the 3rd row issue. If you fold it flat, you don't get a flat floor.

But even this row tumbles forward - so you can get a flat floor in the entire cabin, but with a "partition" in the middle.

Thanks for clearing the confusion. I saw the vehicle when it was launched, just remembered that the seats don't fold flat, what actually caused the hinderance was the confusion.

Also slipped my mind whether the second row slides to & fro ? Must be, as that's the norm in such types of vehicles.

For someone like me who doesn't really require the last row of seats, they could well be removed altogether to liberate a flat loading bay. As I require a flat access to carry various things/equipment.

I visited local dealer when BRV was launched, I vaguely remember him saying you can get the vehicle in about 10-15 days time. Going by that I thought there should have been some plying on the roads by now. Maybe deliveries haven't started yet, will check with the dealer & probably opt for another TD.

^^ Deliveries have started- quite a coincidence that I saw a Br-V when I was taking a TD of the Petrol.
The SA also mentioned that delivery has not yet started for the CVT.

From his vague answers to the booking/sales/delivery figures, I think that the sales have been tepid.

I am planning to confirm on a Silver Petrol CVT and wish to get the following accessories:

1. Reverse Parking Sensor + Camera+ IRVM Display OR

2. Reverse Parking Sensor + Camera+ Caska HU

3. Steering wheel Leather wrap ( does the CVT come with leather wrap?)
4. Driver side armrest
5. Floor & trunk Mats
6. Body cover
7. Mudflaps ( somehow I remember that the V CVT comes with mudflaps..true?)
8. Front+Rear Bumper Guards.
9. Front Crash Guard

I am really worried about the amount of dashboard and other fascia stripping that is involved in getting the #1-3 accessories. These showroom guys can not get anywhere close to the factory fit or finish.

I dont wanna live with creaks and groans after getting this stuff but the Reverse Cam/Sensor is a bloody necessity for this vehicle.

What to do?

p.s: I am only considering getting the CASKA HU as it will integrate the Display part for the Reverse cam and avoid the possible IRVM rattle issue that may come after installing it over the factory IRVM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 3985099)
Is the BRV priced above the Honda City? For which variant?

For all the variants.

Name:  city.GIF
Views: 5658
Size:  66.7 KBName:  brv.GIF
Views: 5887
Size:  40.6 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 3985099)
The Honda BRV CVT is priced exactly the same as Honda City V CVT in Bangalore.

Correction - for about the same money, you get the BR-V's V (second-top) variant in CVT as opposed to the City's VX (top-of-the-line) CVT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 3985145)
Same applies to the 'trashy' suspension. As per the official review in Team BHP, the ride quality is 'complaint'. Even all other reviews have also mentioned the ride quality of the BR-V as sufficiently good.

BR-V is not perfect, far from it. But, bashing it for the sake of bashing can't be encouraged.

Completely agree. The BR-V is not without its flaws and I also feel that Honda could've done a better job. But some members have been continually bashing it without backing up their statements with facts.

Everybody is going on about how the dashboard is the same as the Amaze, missing features etc. But look at the competition. The interiors are miles ahead of the Duster/Terrano. It's only the Creta which betters it, but it's also much more expensive. The BR-V has many strengths, such as the sorted dynamics, space and comfort and frugal engines.

So let's be neutral, unbiased and have a constructive discussion please?please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWD (Post 3985212)
Also slipped my mind whether the second row slides to & fro ?

Yes, they do.

Quote:

For someone like me who doesn't really require the last row of seats, they could well be removed altogether to liberate a flat loading bay. As I require a flat access to carry various things/equipment.
Yes, removing last row of seats should be 5 minute job. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of equipment is this? Is it heavy? Remember BRV is just a 1.2 tonne vehicle on a Monocoque chassis - with passenger comfort oriented (instead of load oriented) suspension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUXX (Post 3985243)

I am planning to confirm on a Silver Petrol CVT and wish to get the following accessories:
1. Reverse Parking Sensor + Camera+ IRVM Display OR
2. Reverse Parking Sensor + Camera+ Caska HU
3. Steering wheel Leather wrap [/b]( does the CVT come with leather wrap?)
4. Driver side armrest
5. Floor & trunk Mats
6. Body cover
7. Mudflaps ( somehow I remember that the V CVT comes with mudflaps..true?)
8. Front+Rear Bumper Guards.
9. Front Crash Guard

1) I have changed my colour option from Tafeta White to Silver because it greatly reduces the "chrome bling" effect at front and back.

2) IVRM mounted camera display might not rattle, but it will definitely vibrate while driving (affecting rear vision). I have this IVRM system in my Astar AT. Go for HU based reversing camera

3) Since CVT comes in V variant only, I'm assuming it will have Amaze steering wheel. But have you tried it? It's very grippy, soft to touch and comfortable to hold. When you visit the dealer, jump into an Amaze and see for yourself.

4) Floor and trunk mats are free right?

5) CVT variant will have mudflaps. Only the base S variant doesn't I think.

6) You mean Front + Rear "Bumper protectors" (as mentioned in the Accessories brochure) right? I might opt for these too (from styling point of view)

7) Go for "body side moulding armour" (that's really what Honda is calling it) - I think it adds aesthetic value to the side profile.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-brvmod.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 3985309)

Correction - for about the same money, you get the BR-V's V (second-top) variant in CVT as opposed to the City's VX (top-of-the-line) CVT.

To me, it does look like BRV CVT and Top end City CVT are priced equally. The big issue is a huge mismatch between features of a Sedan (City) and a SUV (BRV), and hence it cannot be compared on an XL sheet.

See -

City VX CVT has the following extra features -

- Sunroof
- AVN
- Leather seats

But BRV CVT has the following extra features -

- Projector Lamps
- 16 inch alloys and tyres (instead of 15)

So far, so good. All these can be sourced in the after-market and we roughly know the price. But now, here is the pickle -

BRV CVT has those sliding, tumbling and reclining seats. We have no idea how much they cost. These are obviously a lot more expensive than plain vanilla City seats. And you know what? BRV essentially has two rows (not one) of these seats! Since we have no clue how much this costs, we have to go with the logic that BRV is priced at par with the City, and not otherwise - going by BRV CVT and top end City CVT logic.

I again urge those evaluating "features" of BRV not to ignore comfort/practicality features of BRV - these likely cost significant amount of money to Honda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 3985420)
3) Since CVT comes in V variant only, I'm assuming it will have Amaze steering wheel. But have you tried it? It's very grippy, soft to touch and comfortable to hold. When you visit the dealer, jump into an Amaze and see for yourself.

V CVT gets the steering wheel from old City, but without the leather wrap. V MT gets steering wheel from Amaze.

I am not sure, if this has been answered in this thread, but here is my question/thought. When the volumes are surging in five seater SUV/SUV-look alike vehicles- Creta, Duster, Vitara Brezza, why did Honda go for seven seater SUV/MPV is some thing I cant fathom. Whether it remains a good competitor for Innova/Crysta remains to be seen. Then again the volumes for Innova have mainly come from the Taxi segment/VIP/Govt. vehicles. Honda is loathe to enter the taxi market - as informed by the Honda SAs - as they are concerned with their image. VIP/Govt. vehicle segment is a good place for improving their volumes IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 3985420)
Yes, they do.
Yes, removing last row of seats should be 5 minute job. what kind of equipment is this? Is it heavy? Remember BRV is just a 1.2 tonne

So sliding 2nd row should take care of comfort. Back rest of 2nd row also must be having the reclining feature then.

Great then out will go the 3rd row to liberate a flat loading bay that will take in a bike, golf kit & stuff like AC, Fridge(small) occasionally while moving houses!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by naphill (Post 3985458)
I am not sure, if this has been answered in this thread, but here is my question/thought. When the volumes are surging in five seater SUV/SUV-look alike vehicles- Creta, Duster, Vitara Brezza, why did Honda go for seven seater SUV/MPV is some thing I cant fathom. Whether it remains a good competitor for Innova/Crysta remains to be seen. Then again the volumes for Innova have mainly come from the Taxi segment/VIP/Govt. vehicles. Honda is loathe to enter the taxi market - as informed by the Honda SAs - as they are concerned with their image. VIP/Govt. vehicle segment is a good place for improving their volumes IMO.

It is very simple. There is not a single product that competes with BR-V in that price bracket. Now before jumping guns, here's my rationale:

Ertiga is strictly a low end people mover, Innova Crysta or XUV are too expensive and bulky for daily city commute, rest of the players are insignificant. While 5 seaters don't have and can't get to 7 seats.

Honda is not a dumb company. It has been in the Indian car market since several years. It has taken a serious look at its numbers of Mobilio etc. Honda can bring HR-V to compete with Creta, but it is a better/premium product and hence much more expensive, so it won't solve Honda's problem. Now the compact 5 seater SUV space is already crowded by several offerings. Honda had to get a few USPs before jumping in this category. Several surveys were done as to what would an Indian customer look for in a similar vehicle.

BR-V has several tricks up its sleeve which no other compact SUV can offer, viz. 7 seater, more space, CVT+paddle, ivtec, over-head rear AC, Honda's reliability, new 6 speed gearbox, and similar offerings match like projectors, better wheels, and SUV profile, suspension tweaking and a great looking front and not too shabby back. Infact, out of all the compact SUVs BR-V looks the best from front. I can tell you one standard complain every compact SUV owner has or their parents when they sit in the back, it is too dark / claustophobic, BR-V in every seat gives a very airy "large" cabin feel. I am putting this feature above the whole "Interior design issue" as 90% of the time we are looking outside through the glass not the design of a particular knob. :)

Now comes the hard part, Honda has to give all of the above additional features at the price of the City and still be cheaper than Creta?

Honda is one company that will not compromise its profits just to launch a product. So cost cutting comes in the form of no AVN, reverse camera, leather-pack,etc, which they sell after-market so they are not loosing money but still giving an option to the customer and keeping the price lower.

Also Interiors to an extent, but this is debatable. Saying that its "new Amaze" interiors and hence its not good its just odd. I really like the clean looks and the faux carbon fiber and matte chrome finish. Yes plastics and fit and finish could have been better, but its not a deal-breaker by any measure.

As pointed out in the official review, Honda should be criticized for the quality of finish, especially cutting of the fabric / rubber linings / naked bolts / no under engine protector etc.

I see several biased comments against the BR-V, and everyone has a right to their opinion, that is what this forum is for. I for one, feel BR-V is going to find good success. My prediction: We will soon see BR-V 7 seater competitors in the similar price range from other players.

I won't say BR-V will be a flop. It looks better than Mobilio, and so will find more takers than it.

But the product is not making me feel like I am sitting inside an SUV for my definition of an SUV. The seats are kept so low, even lower than some hatchbacks. And the prior-existence of Mobilio is making me to think that it is a newer version of the Mobilio. I get better SUV feel inside a Brezza than this.

But this is a good filler into the space left vacant by Innova - the 10 -14L private 7-seater passenger car segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -xplora- (Post 3985544)
Honda is not a dumb company. It has been in the Indian car market since several years.

That's why I am also worried. Even after so many years in India, they are not able to price their products sensibly. Their only success model is the City. All others are just another model in their line-up. They are not able to find a suitable India-loved replacement for Brio. They are not able to make Jazz a success even after so many iterations. They are not able to move the Mobilio off their showrooms. Now, let's wait and see what happens to this BR-V. It will get better acceptance than Mobilio for sure, but "to what extend" and "till when" are the questions. A 2.5K monthly sales figure? Till Toyota brings a model in the 10 - 14L segment? Till Maruti brings their "bigger MPV" in that segment?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3985451)
V CVT gets the steering wheel from old City, but without the leather wrap. V MT gets steering wheel from Amaze.

This steering wheel business is very strange. I actually prefer the Amaze steering because it looks/feels cooler than the old City steering. Plus, there is a tiny ergonomic flaw in the 3rd gen City steering -

Honda BR-V : Official Review-hondabrv26.jpg

The volume buttons (often used) are in the middle of Channel (rarely used) and Mode buttons (rarely used). While driving, trying to "find" the increase/decrease volume button with the left thumb will be difficult. The Volume buttons should have been closest to the thumb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naphill (Post 3985458)
Honda is loathe to enter the taxi market - as informed by the Honda SAs - as they are concerned with their image. VIP/Govt. vehicle segment is a good place for improving their volumes IMO.

My dealer had a large banner (finance offers) next to base Amaze directly addressing Ola/Uber drivers. The banner was actually in Kannada language.

Quote:

When the volumes are surging in five seater SUV/SUV-look alike vehicles- Creta, Duster, Vitara Brezza, why did Honda go for seven seater SUV/MPV is some thing I cant fathom.
Quote:

Originally Posted by -xplora- (Post 3985544)
It is very simple. There is not a single product that competes with BR-V in that price bracket..

I feel this has something to do with ASEAN market. Thailand, Indonesia etc might look tiny individually in geographic terms, but the combined ASEAN automobile market in volume terms slightly exceeds that of India.

Honda has a good market share in the ASEAN region, and customers in ASEAN region apparently love their 7 seaters like Ertiga, Mobilio, BRV etc. Immediately after launch, BRV clocked 3500 booking in Indonesia alone (as against 4000 of India).

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjab (Post 3982124)
It's quite surprising to find Honda diluting its "perceived quality" standards. When other "mass market" brands, for example - Tata, Maruti, Hyundai(they always had good quality anyways) - are actually upping the ante in the "feel good" factor stakes, isn't the time not right for the Honda product planners to understand this shift in customer taste and launch products in line with it?

I have been feeling this point about Quality of Honda cars right from the moment the 4th generation City was launched. My suspicions were confirmed when the "All New Jazz" was launched! I'm sorry to see newer models like BR-V follow suit with regard to quality of their products.

The overall build quality and the fit and finish of Honda cars being launched these days leave a lot to be desired.

I was perhaps extremely lucky to have purchased one of the last few pieces of the previous generation Jazz (S-MT) which, though lacking in features like Bluetooth, whistles and bells etc., has "Quality" written all over it!

Hope Honda pulls up its socks and go back to doing what they used to do best.. Churn out Quality products and they'll automatically see their sales figures soaring!

Warm Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUXX (Post 3985243)
I am really worried about the amount of dashboard and other fascia stripping that is involved in getting the #1-3 accessories. These showroom guys can not get anywhere close to the factory fit or finish.

I dont wanna live with creaks and groans after getting this stuff but the Reverse Cam/Sensor is a bloody necessity for this vehicle.

What to do?

Hi. I have a Jazz. Had purchased it last September. I too had gone for the reverse parking sensors. That time I had absolutely no idea about the horrendous QC issues with the City (rattles et all). I also didn't know that fitting the sensors would involve removing the dashboard. As expected my car developed these dashboard rattles by the time of the third servicing itself. By then the total distance covered was a little more than 2k kms, over 95% of which were within city and that too post monsoon season, when the roads were relatively free of potholes.

But having said all this those sensors have proved their worth. The C pillars in the Jazz are extremely thick and the rear view camera by itself is not that effective in detecting objects in the corners. I avoided reversing into a tree on a couple of occasions. If I remember correctly the rear view in the BR-V is equally bad if not worse. About those rattles, well, I plan to pursue that issue till it's satisfactorily resolved. And some fellow Jazz owners have managed to get it sorted out. Though it remains to be seen for how long. We spend over INR 9 lakhs of our hard earned money on such vehicles. Surely these manufacturers will have to address all our concerns. That's their job.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

@Flanker99: and that's my biggest worry with the Reverse Sensor, Camera.
This is one feature that Honda should not have skimped upon- its downright criminal.