Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2016, 12:48   #406
BHPian

Re: Maruti Vitara Brezza : Official Review

Hello guys,

Had my Brezza delivered on 25th April. Odo reads 1180kms now, handed over her to service station guys at 8 am. (Kudos to Kiran Motors, Ahmedabad workshop for extended timings of 7am to 9pm)
Though service information SMS reads estimated delivery time 5pm, SE is hopeful to get the servicing done by 2pm. Will share the service experience once I get her back.

Here are my observations regarding the car so far. Will share buying process in Initial Ownership report.
  • Though paint quality is far better, build quality is just a notch better than my first gen Swift Dzire and leagues behind her German garage-mate 6th gen VW Jetta.
  • Interior quality is far better than first gen Swift Dzire. I have been inside Baleno and S-Cross's cabin for couple of hours. Overall it feel a notch better than Baleno's and a notch lower than S-Cross' interior quality.
  • Sound quality is a little better than first gen Swift Dzire. (Two tweeter of ZDi+ helps the cause)
  • FE for first 250kms with AC on full time: 15.7kmpl. (50% city, 50% highway, 90% 1000-2000rpm, 9% 2000-2500rpm, 1% 2500-3000rpm). Hope it will improve after the servicing.
Things I love about the car.
  • Exteriors with Dual tone Red-black, looks indeed glamours.
  • Excellent Ride quality. Reminds me of GTO's observation regarding Duster: "Dismisses broken roads with aplomb". Well, 90% aplomb when compared with Duster/Terrano but better than Ecosport/Creta.
  • Silent suspension. I have driven her to some VERY bad patches.
  • Driving position. Gives a proper suv-like view while driving. Bikers, auto wallahs and pedestrians don't bully unlike when I drive Jetta
  • Voice commands, works perfectly on almost all the occasions.

Things I like about the car.
  • Breaking. Does 120-0kmph without a fuss, leagues ahead of first gen Swift Dzire Vdi.
  • Air-con, again leagues ahead of first gen Swift Dzire, as good as Jetta's.
  • Front seats. I am a 6'1" and large built person. Though I was a little skeptical about front seat comfort before the purchase(99% time she would carry no more than 2 persons, so rear bench is no concern), cushioning and fabric quality is really good. Seat width is OK. Under thigh support could be better, it's average, not poor.
  • Refined, fuel-efficient and powerful engine with good driveability. Turbo lag is very well controlled, far better than first gen Swift Dzire though it's a little annoying in higher gears. Overall acceleration feels a bit better than first gen Swift Dzire.
  • Mood lights, really enhances driving experience.
  • Parking aid. Sub 4m length, reverse camera and sensor make it very easy to park compared with Jetta.
  • Other Gizmos.

Things I don't like about the car.
  • Steering is the same as the first gen swift Dzire except for mounted controls which feel good and NOT cheap unlike their house.
  • Rattles. It rattles from left of Dashboard and left back side. Hope it will get fixed during the service. I am really disappointed that she has started rattling only after 1000 kms. In MSIL's defence, she has gone through some very rough patches but still it's not a valid excuse.
  • Gearbox. Sometimes I have to try 2-3 times to engage the reverse gear just like first gen Swift Dzire. Other gearshifts are not smooth as well. SE told me that he would check clutch bleeding but it's a typical 'Maruti Characteristic' and it would remain there. Does anyone else face the same issue?
  • Though door are very thin, one need to put lots of efforts to close them(from inside as well as outside). The fifth door feels a bit heavy, it's no exception in closing efforts.
  • Nose dive. As mentioned in official review, it occurs during breaking even from medium speeds but doesn't make the car lose its composure during hard breaking.
  • No leather stuff even in the top variant:
  • Bull horn LED at front is only visible during night, not even during evening. Read one can easily be spotted during evening but it's nowhere as bright as Baleno's DRL and invisible during day time.
  • Noise insulation. It's strictly average however not as bad as S-Cross'.
  • Horns, reminds me of Premier Padmini.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th May 2016 at 14:33. Reason: Removed extra smilies
bhavik.1991 is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th May 2016, 13:29   #407
BHPian

Hi again,

I just received a call from Service Center manager, He is insisting that I get Teflon coating and Under body Rust protection treatment. From the posts I have read on TBhp, I know that Teflon coating doesn't make sense but I am not sure about Under body rust protection treatment. He says it's a Maruti authorized treatment and will cost me 1770 INR. Can someone shed some light on it?
For now, I have denied to go for the either treatment.
Old 7th May 2016, 14:00   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the short review. Would have loved to see some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
...Steering is the same as the first gen swift Dzire... except for mounted controls which feel good and NOT cheap unlike their house.
Nop, the steering design is from 2nd gen Swift / Dzire, this is definitely better than the first gen design.

Quote:
...Gearbox. Sometimes I have to try 2-3 times to engage the reverse gear just like first gen Swift Dzire. Other gearshifts are not smooth as well...
Does this happen when you engage reverse gear from standstill ? You need to always move the car forward in first gear and then try to engage reverse gear.
Old 7th May 2016, 15:27   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashyapz8055 View Post
Pics of a few modified Brezzas' from Facebook

Cheers !!
Like the alloys on the red one.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 7th May 2016, 16:13   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Does this happen when you engage reverse gear from standstill ? You need to always move the car forward in first gear and then try to engage reverse gear.
Most of the Maruti models have the issue in precise reverse gear slotting. May have to give an extra pressure push to engage the reverse gear.

As swiftnfurious pointed out, in many occasions, the car has to be moved slightly forward and then only the reverse gear gets engaged.
Old 7th May 2016, 16:26   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Hi again,

I just received a call from Service Center manager, He is insisting that I get Teflon coating and Under body Rust protection treatment. From the posts I have read on TBhp, I know that Teflon coating doesn't make sense but I am not sure about Under body rust protection treatment. He says it's a Maruti authorized treatment and will cost me 1770 INR. Can someone shed some light on it?
I had Teflon coating on my earlier Alto K10 (2012) Mid night black. One thing I can say that the car retained it's perfect shining black for 3 years. I found the Teflon coating useful. People will have different opinions and those opinions are respected too.

Mods: Please merge the above two messages. Forgot the multi quote option during the second reply.

Last edited by Sree73 : 7th May 2016 at 16:33.
Old 7th May 2016, 17:27   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi again,

A good brand like 3M would set you back by around 10k for paint sealant treatment and under body coating.

Which brand is this 'authorized MGA' treatment?

When they say Teflon coating is useless, they mean it is useless in preventing scratches as widely advertised. However, getting a good paint sealant treatment can help retain the paint shine longer. You can do yourself- so many products available in the market.
Old 7th May 2016, 22:41   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Most of the Maruti models have the issue in precise reverse gear slotting. May have to give an extra pressure push to engage the reverse gear.

As swiftnfurious pointed out, in many occasions, the car has to be moved slightly forward and then only the reverse gear gets engaged.
Just lift clutch in neutral for a sec then slot in reverse after pressing clutch.
Old 7th May 2016, 23:28   #414
Senior - BHPian

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/05/s...y-nepal-230965

Originally said to be sold only in India, the Brezza will now go to other markets like Nepal and Indonesia. Proof of Brezza's capabilities, and demand for small suvs in other similar markets.

The 1.5L M-series petrol engine will add more versatility and acceptability for the car, especially when petrol models are in-demand again.

Last month's sales data (http://www.autopunditz.com/news/indi...es-april-2016/) shows Creta and Brezza are selling almost same, at positions 11 and 12.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 7th May 2016 at 23:49.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 15:22   #415
BHPian

Have done about 2500 kms in my Brezza till now. It remains rattle free till now.

However, I discovered this while removing the rear head rests, this morning.

The head rest stems are hollow pipes and not solid steel rods as is the case with other cars.

I recently saw a post on social media proclaiming that head rest stems could be used to break window glasses in an emergency as they are solid with a pointy end which could be used to break glass.

However, this is not the case with Brezza. Even my Alto has solid steel rods for headrest.

I fail to understand what has Maruti achived by this extreme cost cutting / weight reduction?

Attaching photos of both the rear and front headrests.

Unable to attach two photos together.

Attaching the photo of front headrests as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Vitara Brezza : Official Review-image.jpeg  

Maruti Vitara Brezza : Official Review-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th May 2016 at 10:24. Reason: merging posts. Kindly use the edit option when replying within 30minutes. Thanks.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 15:31   #416
BHPian

Believe it or not that would still break the window. I think these are best ways to save cost.
Old 9th May 2016, 01:34   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
I recently saw a post on social media proclaiming that head rest stems could be used to break window glasses in an emergency as they are solid with a pointy end which could be used to break glass
This headrest stem is perfectly capable of breaking a car window. The thing is many people believe that you have to hit the window with the stem to break it which is absolutely wrong. The technique is to insert one of the stems in the panel between the window and the door and mildly push it towards you. I am posting a video below please have a look.

captain.torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 03:43   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Even my Alto has solid steel rods for headrest.

I fail to understand what has Maruti achived by this extreme cost cutting / weight reduction?
Those stems are made to do one job - keep the headrest attached to the seat. Not to help break a window! I don't see that as cost cutting. Your Alto had it because it did. Brezza doesn't.

If someone is desperate to break a window during emergency, I would suggest they buy a 100 buck hammer instead.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 06:55   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I recently saw a post on social media proclaiming that head rest stems could be used to break window glasses in an emergency as they are solid with a pointy end which could be used to break glass.

However, this is not the case with Brezza. Even my Alto has solid steel rods for headrest.

To do what it was actually designed to do, I don't see any cost cutting. Your steel rods are meant to hold your headrests in place and whether it's solid or hollow doesn't make a difference. In fact, I'd appreciate Maruti for shaving off some weight from these rods as they're gonna remain hidden and stationery anyway.

Coming to that nonsense that's being circulated around social media - it's nothing but nonsense. These rods aren't/weren't designed to break open windows. It's the figment of someone's imagination and as is the case with social media - anything sells and anyone can claim anything. If they said, "hey, I've just hit upon an awesome idea - you know what? We could actually use these rods to break the window!" You know what? Nobody would take it seriously. To achieve that cheap popularity, whoever that poster was, has to resort to some cheapskate theory and there you have it - "headrest rods were designed to break open the window!" And now, this bogus information is circulated left, right, centre.

So, there you go. No manufacturer in the world has designed them to break glass! Maruti hasn't either and please don't use them to break your window; you may get hurt in the process. Hope you don't have that need and if you need to - buy a hammer as someone else suggested.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 9th May 2016 at 06:56.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 10:01   #420
BHPian

In the first full month sales of Brezza, it outsold EcoSport by more than double. Also, TUV300 sales declining every month.

Sales in April:
Brezza - 7,832
EcoSport - 3,789
TUV300 - 1,928

EcoSport maintaining its average sales in April most probably because of recent price cuts. If ford can market it heavily it can settle around that number in future as well. Also, production constraints of Brezza will help to an extent.

On the other hand, TUV300 saw sales decline each month. In Oct-2015 it sold 4,551.
sri_tesla is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks