Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:05   #196
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Mumbai-based auto maker Tata Motors Ltd may be forced to change the name of its yet-to-be-introduced small car Zica, fearing a negative association with the growing Zika epidemic.
Quote:
A company spokeswoman told Mint the firm is “currently evaluating the situation and will soon take a decision”.
Quote:
A company executive, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the entire process may be time-consuming as the company will have to get the new brand name registered with the Registrar of Companies (RoC).
Source

The Zika Virus looks like it is going to claim its first non human fatality.
batterylow is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:24   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Source

Kite should be natural choice for a new name. Let's see what will they come up with.
sourabhzen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:23   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Source

I almost rolled down my seat on reading this. Bad luck for Tata. Nothing is working for them right now. Earlier at least they were launching the car. Now bad omen struck them even before the launch. I think Kite is a better name anyways than ZiCa unless it is already registered.
xs2mayank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:08   #199
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Confirmed. Tata's Press Statement as received. Quite a unique situation as I don't remember any other car ever having to be renamed just before its launch.

Quote:
Tata Motors today announced that it has decided to rename its soon-to-be launched hatchback. The car’s acronym was “ZICA”, derived from “Zippy Car”. Empathizing with the hardships being caused by the recent “Zika” virus outbreak across many countries, Tata Motors, as a socially responsible company, has decided to re-brand the car.

The new car will be showcased publicly for the first time at the Auto Expo 2016, in New Delhi (Greater Noida) from February 3 – 9, 2016. While it carries the ‘Zica’ label for the duration of the event, the new name will be announced after a few weeks, ensuring all necessary consumer/ branding and regulatory aspects are addressed, and the launch will take place thereafter.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:13   #200
Team-BHP Support

Perfect chance to go back to the original 'Kite'. Much better than Zica anyway, which in a twisted way still reminded me of its Indica roots, however well-hidden.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:34   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Perfect chance to go back to the original 'Kite'. Much better than Zica anyway, which in a twisted way still reminded me of its Indica roots, however well-hidden.
Spot on! Zica rhymes with Indica. Now that they have finally made a car that doesn't look like an Indica, it would help if they think of a name that doesn;t remind of you of indica in any way. As many have suggested, Kite would be a real good name, it sounds sporty and cool.
veyron_head is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:41   #202
BHPian

Already many people are fed up waiting for launch of zica and this further delay makes matter worse.
Ponbaarathi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:47   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad times for TATA, but I think God is kind to them. Had this happened after the launch, would have been devastating. At least, they have some time to come up with a better name.

I too vote for Kite. It definitely is a better name than Zica. 'Fly the Kite' could be the tag to describe the peppiness of the car. Between, name is definitely not the problem for TATA. If going by the opinion of my 'educated' room mates,TATA has serious issues in the personal car segment about the perception of products.

I hope they do some rock solid marketing this time to give the car enough push.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd February 2016 at 16:50.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:54   #204
Senior - BHPian

I think it is good for TATA. Even after putting lot of effort not many people know about Zica launch, and name changing will give some more publicity. Kite is a perfect name for the car and hope Tata launch it with a mouth watering price tag.

We have car named Laura in India and I do not think anybody changed his decision to buy because of it's name.

@swiftnfurious - How about VW Touran

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd February 2016 at 16:56.
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:58   #205
Senior - BHPian

I had these thoughts running through my mind that its a bad thing for Tata to name the car Zica now. And here we are: Getting an official statement from the Horse's mouth.

Man, that is spooky, the Zica actually brought some kind of bad luck to Tata right at the start. Every time they come up with something new, bad things happen.
Nano -> Bengal land dispute
Horizonext strategy -> Karl Slym death
Zica -> Zika Virus

Honestly, I wasn't so sure if I liked the name Zica so I'm glad that they are renaming it. Psst, Tata, 'Sway' isn't a bad name

Off Topic: Hope the Zika virus is successfully dealt with minimum losses to humanity.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:25   #206
BHPian

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/02/news...inkId=20890494

Zika virus forces Tata to rename its new car

February 02

NEW DELHI

Tata Motors has been forced to change the name of its new hatchback -- the Zica -- just days before its official launch.

The automaker said it would re-brand the car to avoid calling to mind Zika, the mosquito-borne virus that has caused a*public health emergency*in the Americas.

The hatchback will debut this week at a car show in New Delhi with its original name -- derived from "Zippy Car" -- but a replacement will be chosen within weeks.

Tata, the owner of Jaguar Land Rover, had already publicized and promoted the name, along with the model's stylishness and "peppy driving experience."

The Zika virus, transmitted by the aggressive Aedes aegypti mosquito, has spread to at least 24 countries. The World Health Organization estimates 3 million to 4 million people across the Americas will be infected with the virus in the next year.

It's commanding worldwide attention because of an alarming connection between the virus and microcephaly, a neurological disorder that results in babies being born with abnormally small heads.

India, which is home to 1.3 billion people, is particularly susceptible to mosquito-borne illnesses. Dengue fever, a close relative of Zika, is common in the country.

In the past, automakers have occasionally chosen names for cars that did not translate well across languages and cultures. The most infamous example is Chevrolet's Nova, because in Spanish, "no-va" means "won't go." Despite the name, the car sold relatively well in Latin America.

The atrocities committed in recent years by the Islamic militant group ISIS, meanwhile, have created a headache for*companies operating under that name.

California biotech company Isis Pharmaceuticals*changed its name to Ionis Pharmaceuticals*after admitting it was*struggling with the "negative connotations."
jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:44   #207
BHPian

Unfortunate play of fortune, but when the name was first announced, I had posted that a quick google search revealed that in Portuguese ZICA = Bad Luck. This incident is perhaps rotten luck.

Very unfortunate that they will have to redo a lot of work/branding. But hope all for the better. As some others have pointed out, they should perhaps go back to "Kite".
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:46   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

In a way, Tata is fortunate that the car has not been officially launched yet !

Kite could actually be a nice name - May the new car fly high !
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:57   #209
Senior - BHPian

It's good on Tatas part to redo the name. In fact they may get more publicity by this name changing episode. However, I am disappointed by further delay. Was looking forward to the launch and then getting delivery by end of Feb which looks like will move on to end of March now.

+1 to Kite, the original code name.
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:18   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata could use the tag line /phrase : " The Tata Kite. Fly High ! "

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
However, I am disappointed by further delay.
Rebranding exercises, even at pre-launch stage will not be easy. They would have readied a lot of publicity material, possibly already sent across to the dealerships. Now they will have to do it all over again !
condor is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks