Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2017, 12:02   #1381
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Tata Motors has showcased the Tiago Aktiv at the 2017 Autocar Performance Show.

Basically a spruced-up crossover version of the Tiago thanks mainly to the Aktiv accessory kit, the Tiago Aktiv is expected to go on sale very soon.

Quote:
On the outside the Tiago Activ gets black cladding at lower end of the front and rear bumper, a silver bash plate at the front, side body cladding with silver finish, black roof and outer rear view mirror, silver finished roof rails, gun metal grey alloy wheels which are very different to the ones showcased at the 2016 Auto Expo. Interiors get exterior color coordinated panels on the dashboard and leatherette seats. There are no changes apart from the above.

The car does not get decals and machined alloy wheels which were equipped on the concept showcased on the Auto Expo. The Tiago Activ could be offered on both petrol and diesel engine options.

Autos Arena

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st January 2017 at 12:04.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:20   #1382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanth_mys View Post

I still haven't given up on Tiago yet !
Here is an update from my side:

After all the escalation, repeated follow-up and everything, I was allotted a different car by the dealer.
This time I was told by the dealer that he has done his PDI and found everything to be OK. They were also aware of my post in TeamBHP.

The car was already brought to the showroom from yard. I took half a day leave from work to inspect the car in good sunlight.

15 minutes of checking the exteriors and I found this:

Missing paint:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20170118_153500.jpg

Look at the painting inconsistency:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20170118_153435.jpg

Sunburst Orange paint on rubber beading:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20170118_153709.jpg

Driver side door on top:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20170118_153542.jpg

This was not all. I just lifted the rubber beading on roof where I had this problem with the first car, and the metal clip to hold the beading was already broken !!
By now the dealer had sensed this was not going in the right direction. He stopped me from taking further pictures, and the car was sent away.

I had seen enough, tata bye bye Tiago !
Wrote a letter to cancel the booking and asked him to refund the booking amount ASAP.
  • The sales manager at Concorde has been very cordial, understood my position and assured me that he would take this up with Tata motors.
  • Absolutely zero communication from Tata Motors, apart from providing the contact details of their Regional sales manager. This even after emailing them all these pictures and my experience with two Tiago cars !
  • I'm sure there are many happy Tiago owners out there and I would like to believe I was extremely unlucky !

I have booked an Elite i20 Asta (O) and expect the delivery this weekend.

Last edited by Prashanth_mys : 23rd January 2017 at 12:44.
Prashanth_mys is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 15:12   #1383
BHPian

Quote:

Wrote a letter to cancel the booking and asked him to refund the booking amount ASAP.

It's sad to see how TML has handled this incident at a time when they claim to be working hard to improve their image. For a company that monitors social media, they seem to be tone deaf! I own a Tata car and I'm considering purchasing a Tiago. This incident has dented my enthusiasm for the brand. I wonder how many other people have read or heard about this incident and thought to themselves, "stupid Tata! They just don't learn!".

I was explaining to someone yesterday that TML's current marketing head Mayank Pareekh came from Maruti and many people were expecting great things but instead, little has been done. I guess the negative culture is too ingrained in the Tata organisation. No doubt the recent turmoil in the management has made things worse.

I wish you many years of happy, trouble-free motoring in your new i20!
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 15:19   #1384
BHPian

Quote:

After all the escalation, repeated follow-up and everything, I was allotted a different car by the dealer.
This time I was told by the dealer that he has done his PDI and found everything to be OK. They were also aware of my post in TeamBHP.
Something fishy here. It is possible that they just refurbished (cleaned and painted, perhaps) an older display or test drive vehicle? Looking at the paint job, I really doubt it passed the QC in the factory. I don't really believe they will bother to get the car all the way to the showroom for your sake. The sales manager being nice and all is fine, but please check the VIN before coming to any conclusion.
prakash_ajp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 11:29   #1385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
It's sad to see how TML has handled this incident at a time when they claim to be working hard to improve their image.
I was explaining to someone yesterday that TML's current marketing head Mayank Pareekh came from Maruti and many people were expecting great things but instead, little has been done. I guess the negative culture is too ingrained in the Tata organisation. No doubt the recent turmoil in the management has made things worse.
I was doing the same when I booked Tiago: telling people how Tata has upped their game with Tiago and Hexa. It seems some intrinsic qualities of the organisation cannot be changed so easily !

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Something fishy here. It is possible that they just refurbished (cleaned and painted, perhaps) an older display or test drive vehicle? Looking at the paint job, I really doubt it passed the QC in the factory. I don't really believe they will bother to get the car all the way to the showroom for your sake. The sales manager being nice and all is fine, but please check the VIN before coming to any conclusion.
Apart from the last picture, you really need keen eyes to find other faults. I should say they look a bit exaggerated in pictures than in real life, however these are defects and I do not want to live with them.
I have double checked the VIN and the car is December 2016 manufactured. Besides in my email to Tata motors customer care I have mentioned the VIN just to be sure that this is not a patch-up from the dealer.
Prashanth_mys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 18:34   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
I was doing the same when I booked Tiago: telling people how Tata has upped their game with Tiago and Hexa. It seems some intrinsic qualities of the organisation cannot be changed so easily
They are headed in the right direction, however sometimes it takes some time to get rid of old habbits.

Quote:
However these are defects and I do not want to live with them.
True. This is QC miss and there is no way you should accept this after paying money. However I still suggest you to please share this with higher ups in Tata to see their response. The regional sales manager is the bottleneck here I suppose.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 23:14   #1387
BHPian

Not sure why there is a problem of quality control with the Tiago. When I bought mine in Oct 2016 I thoroughly inspected the car myself and found no problems at all. Moreover the sales guy at Concorde Motor did a very thorough inspection job himself. Sorry to note that things are going downhill for Tata's.

I spoke to my cousin, who runs a car repair workshop in Delhi, and he said that he would not believe anything about Tata's quality until a year or two have lapsed to confirm that the culture and quality has changed.
Old 31st January 2017, 12:28   #1388
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Tata has displayed a Tiago with some body kit, a black roof and roof-rails at the Autocar Performance Show (image).

What they need to do is launch a Tiago Aktiv soon with a jacked-up suspension, increased GC (an addition of 25 ~ 30 mm), larger 185/70 R14 tyres, black cladding all around, new beefier bumpers with faux skid plates, sturdy functional roof rails, bigger fog lamps, LED DRLs etc. - something (a mini Nexon?) like this:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-images-35.jpg

Tiago's two-box design makes it quite suited for a good-looking, raised Tiago Aktiv version - just like the successful i20 Active. Mere form (claddings & stickers) alone won't do, it needs function as well (additional GC, larger tyres & functional roof rails).

A Tiago Aktiv would compete nicely against the upcoming Beat Activ, and to a lesser extent against the Ignis & KUV1OO as well.

Last edited by RSR : 31st January 2017 at 12:33.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 09:15   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
Not sure why there is a problem of quality control with the Tiago. When I bought mine in Oct 2016 I thoroughly inspected the car myself and found no problems at all. Moreover the sales guy at Concorde Motor did a very thorough inspection job himself. Sorry to note that things are going downhill for Tata's.
This is what happens when a product is in demand and you have to ramp up production, the quality goes for a toss . Cars, which would have been rejected/ held up during Quality inspection are now pushed down the assembly line, just because everything that will hit the showroom/ stockyard will be sold out. I have worked on the assembly line of a reputed two wheeler manufacturing company and seen how minor quality issues are ignored just to meet the daily production targets. There is a likelihood of same thing happening with Tiago as well.
AutoIndian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 16:44   #1390

Here is part 3 of my story:

After the nightmarish experience with Tata Tiago, I had booked an Elite i20 . In less than 10 days: PDI was done, payment made, registered in RTO, car delivered and got the number too !

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20170129wa0003.jpg

Meanwhile my friends at Concorde/Tata motors are yet to refund my booking amount of Rs. 10000

Dealer has many excuses: "Sir we have to get 'invoice cancellation approval' from Tata motors", "We had some back-end problems" and so on. Tata motors customer care does not even care to respond to my emails !

I'm seriously considering legal options against these people.

Last edited by Prashanth_mys : 1st February 2017 at 17:10.
Prashanth_mys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 18:04   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
This is what happens when a product is in demand and you have to ramp up production, the quality goes for a toss . Cars, which would have been rejected/ held up during Quality inspection are now pushed down the assembly line, just because everything that will hit the showroom/ stockyard will be sold out. I have worked on the assembly line of a reputed two wheeler manufacturing company and seen how minor quality issues are ignored just to meet the daily production targets. There is a likelihood of same thing happening with Tiago as well.
Proof of my above statement is the below Press Release from Tata Motors on the monthly sales in Jan-2017

Tata Tiago : Official Review-20170201_180217.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 01:21   #1392
BHPian

Dear Friends,
I'm looking for a car, for my father in law. I think an automatic might suit him better as he is out of driving experience, and hasn't driven a car during past 10+ years. He used to drive cars, jeeps, tractors, lorries etc, previously (10+ years back).

I felt Tiago is the best of the lot (v/s WagonR / Celerio / Ignis / Baleno) but only concern is that, the others offer AMT but Tiago doesn't.
Not sure yet, if he is comfortable with manual version too (may be need to get this confirmed first).

Please help with below:
- By when can we expect Automatic as one of the Tiago variant?
- Would petrol manual be a good option, if we consider the daily commute to be low (less than 10 KM)?
- On the current Tiago offerings (no Automatic), without considering pricing & mileage as a factor-> which is a better pick among'st Petrol v/s Diesel (purely based on drive ability & power)? <I think diesel due to better engine power and drive ability>

Last edited by Eyas337 : 6th February 2017 at 01:28.
Old 6th February 2017, 01:39   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
Very soon I'd guess. If you check out RavenAvi's posts on the Tiago AMT Thread, you'll notice that he's posted photos from the assembly line.
Quote:
- Would petrol manual be a good option, if we consider the daily commute to be low (less than 10 KM)?
With that kind of running, it's the petrol that makes more sense. Based on the reviews (and ownership reports), it seems that while the petrol may not be exciting, it gets the job done.
Old 6th February 2017, 08:59   #1394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I felt Tiago is the best of the lot (v/s WagonR / Celerio / Ignis / Baleno) but only concern is that, the others offer AMT but Tiago doesn't.
All the cars you have mentioned are good. Whether Tiago is best or not is a personal opinion. I replaced my WagonR with a Tiago. I had considered Celerio as well, but due to Cheaper price tag, Tiago was the choice.

Baleno is a segment above & it has its own pros & cons.

While the Tiago is nice looking (Inside & Out), good features and impressive ride quality. Other factors like Performance, NVH levels and rattles are the big downsides. For its price tag, the Tiago is a decent car.

Quote:
Please help with below:
- On the current Tiago offerings (no Automatic), without considering pricing & mileage as a factor-> which is a better pick among'st Petrol v/s Diesel (purely based on drive ability & power)? <I think diesel due to better engine power and drive ability>
Tiago AMT is expected very soon, I think at max we may see it by March.

If running is low, one does prefer Petrol. I have a Diesel Tiago despite my running also being low (25 kms).

Diesel performance was better as compared to Petrol during my TD last August. But Test Drive both Petrol & Diesel Tiago and decide yourself.
CarguyNish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 10:27   #1395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • The sales manager at Concorde has been very cordial, understood my position and assured me that he would take this up with Tata motors.
  • Absolutely zero communication from Tata Motors, apart from providing the contact details of their Regional sales manager. This even after emailing them all these pictures and my experience with two Tiago cars !
  • I'm sure there are many happy Tiago owners out there and I would like to believe I was extremely unlucky !
Good that you spotted these in time.
And I agree with AutoIndian, these might have been ignored during QC to meet the strong demand. But, TML must understand, right now is not the time to do such antics.

Quote:
After the nightmarish experience with Tata Tiago, I had booked an Elite i20 . In less than 10 days: PDI was done, payment made, registered in RTO, car delivered and got the number too !

Meanwhile my friends at Concorde/Tata motors are yet to refund my booking amount of Rs. 10000

Dealer has many excuses: "Sir we have to get 'invoice cancellation approval' from Tata motors", "We had some back-end problems" and so on. Tata motors customer care does not even care to respond to my emails !
The least they can do now, is to return this booking amount 100%, pronto.

Most Viewed