Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 15:11   #1096
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
It is imported to Nepal as a CBU, I guess. It probably attracts 320% duty.
Then?

Does Nepal have any local manufacturing?

Without even a choice of local manufactured cars, charging 100+% duty is ridiculous.
Old 30th August 2016, 15:20   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Does Nepal have any local manufacturing?
I read somewhere that Nepal has a hefty tax structure for all cars including Indian manufactured ones. The Vitara Brezza starts at about 36 Lakh NPR which is about 22.5 INR. In India, the heavy taxation on CBU's may be to encourage local industry but in Nepal it is one of their government's primary sources of income.
Enobarbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 12:39   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Hey how come not a single Bhpian has posted photos of their cars? Usually we always have ownership reviews with tons of photographs
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:51   #1099
BHPian

I have booked a Tiago Petrol XZ (top-end) in June. I read about the 7-8K price hike recently. Have a question for BHPians who have taken delivery recently, and had booked before the price hike was announced.

1. Is the price hike applicable only to subsequent bookings or bookings made before the hike announcement, but delivery is yet to be done?

2. If no, then great.

3. If yes, then whats the course of action? It would be unfair if price hike was applicable to prior bookings.

4. For Petrol XZ, what are real-world FE figures in city/highway? The official ARAI figure is 23.84 kmpl. So can one expect a healthy 20-21 kmpl on the highway and 14-17 kmpl in city?

5. How is the performance of the headlights during night driving in city/on highway?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd September 2016 at 09:02. Reason: Typo.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:07   #1100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
I have booked a Tiago Petrol XZ (top-end) in June. I read abouot the 7-8K price hike recently. Have a question for BHPians who have taken delivery recently, and had booked before the price hike was announced.

1. Is the price hike applicable only to subsequent bookings or bookings made before the hike announcement, but delivery is yet to be done?
Typically, the hike is applicable for all bookings that are pending at the time of the hike announcement.

Quote:
3. If yes, then whats the course of action? It would be unfair if price hike was applicable to prior bookings.
Work with your SA if they can waive off the hike for you.

A relative recently booked a DZire (before the hike) and a few days later was told that there was a hike of ~5k. He negotiated with the dealer; they ended up sharing the hike.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:29   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
I have booked a Tiago Petrol XZ (top-end) in June. I read abouot the 7-8K price hike recently. Have a question for BHPians who have taken delivery recently, and had booked before the price hike was announced.

Usually, price hike should not be imposed on bookings done prior to the announcement. I am sure your dealer will tell you otherwise knowing how honest TATA dealers are (that is in Pune at least) but do not give in even if they pressurize.

Remember how dealers/SAs use "price hike" speculation to close a sale by asking client to book the car before the announcement.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:37   #1102
BHPian

Quote:

As far as I know, the prices prevailing at the time of delivery are applicable.
Only in the case of excise duty hike, which gets levied when the car leaves the factory, the price hike is not applicable on the car which has left the facility before the hike and reached dealers after that.
Old 2nd September 2016, 14:42   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have booked a Tiago Petrol XZ (top-end) in June. I read abouot the 7-8K price hike recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Usually, price hike should not be imposed on bookings done prior to the announcement.
Usually, the price at the time of delivery is what you have to pay. There are many cases in our forum itself where people have cancelled bookings because cars have undergone not one but multiple price hikes during the waiting period.

This is a practice followed by all the manufacturers and dealers, nothing special to Tata.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:11   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Usually, price hike should not be imposed on bookings done prior to the announcement.
There is clause with all dealers which states that 'Price at the time of delivery will be applicable', so irrespective of the booking date, if there is a price hike during delivery, the new price will be applicable.

Don't know if the same holds true for reduction in prices though. Ecosport and Figo buyers who had booked during the old price and got the car delivered after the price revision can comment on this.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:16   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian

Hard one to negotiate. One option is to cancel booking and look at your #2nd preference. Tell the dealer so, and hopefully he will oblige

Last edited by condor : 2nd September 2016 at 15:18.
Old 3rd September 2016, 12:21   #1106
BHPian

Can anyone comment on realistic waiting period of Tiago in pune? Is it varying from city to city or even from dealer to dealer, in same city? A friend had booked one (orange petrol, top variant) in first week of June but still no sign of car. As per dealer, currently they are clearing April bookings
Old 3rd September 2016, 17:09   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005
Hey how come not a single Bhpian has posted photos of their cars? Usually we always have ownership reviews with tons of photographs
Interesting observation. Could it be that its an A segment 'Tata' car and people feel that others won't be as interested in knowing about a 'Tata' hatch?
Old 5th September 2016, 14:23   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Typically, the hike is applicable for all bookings that are pending at the time of the hike announcement.
Quote:
Usually, price hike should not be imposed on bookings done prior to the announcement. I am sure your dealer will tell you otherwise knowing how honest TATA dealers are (that is in Pune at least) but do not give in even if they pressurize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
As far as I know, the prices prevailing at the time of delivery are applicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Usually, the price at the time of delivery is what you have to pay.
Thanks all for your inputs. I had visited the showroom to discuss this with the SA and his Manager and have an update to share. The price hike is indeed applicable for all bookings, the cars for which are yet to be delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hard one to negotiate. One option is to cancel booking and look at your #2nd preference. Tell the dealer so, and hopefully he will oblige
The dealer is playing hardball and has declined to waive off the difference or share it. This is because of the demand which this new model is experiencing, in my opinion. For the models which are not exactly flying out of showrooms (Zest/Bolt), I was informed that considerable discounts/goodies can be made available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
Can anyone comment on realistic waiting period of Tiago in pune? Is it varying from city to city or even from dealer to dealer, in same city?
I booked mine in the second week of June. Was committed a delivery timeline of 3 months. However as of the latest, have been informed that it would take atleast 1.5/2 months more for the car to be delivered. Had booked Petrol XZ (Striker Blue).

I have a sour experience already, even before the car is delivered:
1. I was committed a delivery timeline of 3 months. Neither the SA nor his Manager called me proactively to inform that they would not be able to meet it. I had to call the SA multiple times, as the 3-month deadline was nearing and there was no communication from them. Even despite this, the SA neither answered my calls nor got back to me. Eventually, I had to call the showroom, ask for the manager, who informed me that the SA is not available and on leave. He even had the temerity to ask me if I hadn't been informed of the delay in delivery by the SA.
2. When I visited the showroom to meet the manager in person, I was told that the SA had left the job! Was it not the manager's responsibility to inform all customers whom this SA was handling and inform/connect them with his replacement!?
3. I asked the manager for a best/worst case estimate of the delivery timeline of the car, and he had no answer!
4. In what is a first for me in a car purchase, I was informed bluntly that they have about 400 bookings and they themselves have no idea of the estimated delivery timelines of any of those cars. What they did tell me is that they have cleared bookings made till April 14th.
5. In what was an attempt to convey transparency, they showed me the printout of a spreadsheet which contained a list of all bookings made at that dealership (per SA). It contained names/contact numbers of all customers in a FIFO priority sequence.
6. I shared my opinion with the Manager of the incompetence being exhibited towards the customer, in very polite words, and requested him to pull up his socks.
My opinion on this situation:
1. After having booked the car, I am now faced with an increased delivery period of 5 months and a price hike of 8k.
2. As the delivery timeline committed earlier was not done justice to, I have no faith in the delayed timeline either.
3. If the dealers have no idea of car allocation timelines from the OEM, is Tata Motors sleeping!? It is a very common practice to estimate schedules/risks/challenges in advance in any business practice and inform the customer of the best-case/worst-case estimates to ensure that the customer is informed and therefore feels taken care of.
4. Is there no team at Tata Motors who is managing allocations across the country and is informing dealers of the estimated unit allocation timelines for each booking made!? This will help the dealers to provide delivery estimates to the customer. Isn't this something very basic which all other OEMs do first-time-right?
5. Why is the dealer so indifferent about this, and instead of escalating to the OEM and trying to elicit an answer, is sharing their lack of knowledge shamelessly with the customer? It only conveys the incompetence of the entire chain, it does not instill any trust in the mind of the customer.
6. My experience with buying a VW, a Honda and a Maruti was stellar to say the least - atleast in comparison. I felt like THEY wanted ME to buy THEIR car and not the other way around!
The only motivation for me to tolerate this situation/treatment and hang on to my booking is that there is no competitor for the Tiago in it's segment and I am on a limited budget. The Celerio is a poor quality product in all respects (no offense meant for existing owners, just a personal opinion) and the i10 is way too overpriced for what it offers, the extra cylinder notwithstanding. Tata Motors has a great product in the form of the Tiago, but zero customer-orientedness. Let's hope that someone is reading this, and it makes a difference for other customers.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 15:06   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please share dealership details as well so that one is aware of.
Old 5th September 2016, 15:16   #1110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
3. I asked the manager for a best/worst case estimate of the delivery timeline of the car, and he had no answer!
4. In what is a first for me in a car purchase, I was informed bluntly that they have about 400 bookings and they themselves have no idea of the estimated delivery timelines of any of those cars. What they did tell me is that they have cleared bookings made till April 14th.
This is stupid; they are running a five month backlog! Have you tried another dealer?

Get hold of someone in Tata: the moment they find that a customer who has chosen a Tata product, that too on a white plate, is enduring a five month period for their, lets-be-honest, only ray of hope, hopefully they do something about it.

Most Viewed