Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-1.jpg  

basubhatta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 21:07   #857
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
I have been hearing strange reports from various dealerships across India. The top-end XZ variant is probably being offered without the alloys, with a discount of around Rs. 10,000.

Looks like Tata Motors is having a supply shortage of alloy wheels.

Additionally, a dealership in Pune has even told people who have booked the XZ-variant that it won't come with alloys and that the prices for the non-alloy XZ variant will be announced within the next week.
Got a bit more info regarding the alloy wheel scene through a Tata Motors official.

The company is indeed facing some shortage in the supply of alloy wheels. As a result, an option is being given to customers who are waiting for the Tiago, where they can opt for a non-alloy XZ variant. This will help them get the car a bit earlier. A certain amount of discount will be given in case the customer opts for this option. Though the man I talked to didn't reveal any official figure, the said discount will be around 10 to 13 thousand rupees.

Meanwhile, those who are willing to wait for an extra month will get their cars with alloy wheels in the XZ trim, at the tagged price itself.
dZired is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 15:41   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Got a bit more info regarding the alloy wheel scene through a Tata Motors official.

The company is indeed facing some shortage in the supply of alloy wheels. As a result, an option is being given to customers who are waiting for the Tiago, where they can opt for a non-alloy XZ variant. This will help them get the car a bit earlier. A certain amount of discount will be given in case the customer opts for this option. Though the man I talked to didn't reveal any official figure, the said discount will be around 10 to 13 thousand rupees.

Meanwhile, those who are willing to wait for an extra month will get their cars with alloy wheels in the XZ trim, at the tagged price itself.
I wish I had a discount like this when I bought my Figo I would have gladly taken this offer provided they stretch the discount to around 15k. We all know how alloys are a primary source to distinct and add a bit personal touch to our vehicle. The saved amount with some more pooled in would help one get better looking alloys and it's really useful for those who maybe plan to upsize to 15 inches.

Just a thought
Speedshift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 23:08   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
[*]The highest version comes with ABS, EBD, 2 Airbags, CSC (Slide Control ??), Harman Kardon speaker system, alloy wheels (personally didn't like them) and more and is priced at 5.25 lacs on road in Kolkata with two year extended warranty.[/list]Overall nice job done by TATA!
Hi gearhead_mait,
I too took a TD of a petrol top variant and echo your observations word by word. The fan loud noise has been a feedback for Zest too! What I would like to add is the suspension. It really felt strong and silent!

CSC as explained by others is corner stability control, ideally ESP or ESC, that's coined by TML, it does have a sense of traction control too it seems. In my Zest when I loose traction say on a smooth raised turn (entrance to my garage), which you have to stop and go, the car beeps if the wheel starts spinning beyond controllable thresholds.

That's one important review from a Hyundai owner!

Last edited by arindam_xeta : 18th June 2016 at 23:12.
arindam_xeta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 10:04   #860
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Tiago is getting popular, already spotted one in my office (orange) , two in my neighborhood (white and blue). All of them were XZ variant and must say Tiago looks very very nice and compact. Paint quality is top notch.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 21:18   #861
Distinguished - BHPian

The Thrust Zone team has spotted the Tiago going through an extensive testing run on the streets of Pune, fully camouflaged and complete with TC plates.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tatatiagoaktivtesting.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tatatiagoaktivtestingspied.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tatatiagoaktivtestingspyshots.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tatatiagoaktivtestingimages.jpg

Looks like the Orange shade under all that masking.

They claim it's the Tiago Aktiv, but why would Tata test the bodykit version under camouflage, which is already available as an official accessory?

Could it be the 1.05L diesel with VGT under the hood being tested? It is one of the two diesel options shortlisted for the Kite 5 sedan.

Thrust Zone
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 21:59   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Could it be the 1.05L diesel with VGT under the hood being tested? It is one of the two diesel options shortlisted for the Kite 5 sedan.
Testing tiago at this point could be for the fine tuning of AMT transmissions as they were announced at the time of press launch in December.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 11:33   #863
BHPian

I did a test drive for the Tiago this weekend. Impressed with the build and interior finish. A great leap ahead for Tata Motors from the Indica days.

I have 2 concerns which I would need help from. These are my observations from the TD and would like the forums opinion::

1. The TD car (XZ petrol) was approx. run for 5k kms and the famous gear lever vibrations were present. I wanted to know from the forum members whether these vibrations generated from the 3 pot engine in any way are harmful for the engine or reduce the life of the engine/car ? Do they do in any way damage the car ? I must mention that these are not older Innova like vibrations which can be seen with the naked eye but can be felt when the car has just started or is idealling.
A word for the sales staff, they were not at all reluctant in admitting the vibrations in the petrol motor and in fact correctly tried to explain the reason for the vibrations.

2. When I adjusted the driver seat (which is both reach and height adjustable), I had a bit difficulty in reaching and fully depressing the clutch. But this is just a matter of finding the right driving position.

I was impressed by the Tiago. Period.

Kindly request fellow members to suggest on point 1 above.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 20th June 2016, 11:43   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
1. The TD car (XZ petrol) was approx. run for 5k kms and the famous gear lever vibrations were present. I wanted to know from the forum members whether these vibrations generated from the 3 pot engine in any way are harmful for the engine or reduce the life of the engine/car ? Do they do in any way damage the car ? I must mention that these are not older Innova like vibrations which can be seen with the naked eye but can be felt when the car has just started or is idealling.
These vibrations are not harmful for the car at all. These have been present in the old M800, Alto, WagonR 1.0 and many other cars. The cars have proved themselves to be reliable over the years and lakhs of KMs. So, IMO, this should not be a cause of concern for you. You will need to ignore the slight discomfort felt in hands while the car is idling, nothing more.

FYI, I drive a 3-pot engined WagonR.
Old 20th June 2016, 12:26   #865
Senior - BHPian

When the Eon was launched it came with a badly vibrating gear stick which put off potential buyers. This was corrected in version 2 subsequently.

It may not damage the engine but is not a pretty sight to behold. Some even have habit of resting their hand on the gear lever, imagine their plight.
Old 20th June 2016, 13:42   #866
BHPian

Contrary to the reviews of the petrol engine Tiago, I had an opportunity to drive the Tiago petrol for a distance of 100+ kms this weekend.

While I will mention my observations below, there is one point I would like to highlight: Tiago is totally unlike any Tata car that the company has produced in its relatively short (as compared to other OEMs) tenure as a CAR maker.

I have driven Tiago's competitors (Celerio petrol and Hyundai Grand i10 petrol) extensively and can safely conclude that the Tiago is clearly a superior car.

One more point: I was apprehensive about petrol cars and always prefer the low end grunt of a diesel one!!!

Observations:
1) The 100 km drive consisted of a 50% city and 50% highway usage
2) The petrol engine offers superior drivability in city. The car could potter around Pune's congested roads in 3rd and 4th gear (Karve road, SB road, University chowk, etc.)
3)Gear ratios are calibrated so well that I never felt the need to engage 1st gear even at crawling speeds. There were no jerks whatsoever.
4) Even on steep inclines with 3 passengers, this car performed effortlessly
5) On highway, speed ranges in 4th and 5th gear were adequate for nearly effortless overtaking (NH-4)
6) The horn pad on the steering is wide enough and the driver need not lift his hand from the steering to press it.
7) Steering is height adjustable but could do with a couple of more adjustment notches in between.
8) EPS is effortless and driving and maneuvering the car in city is very easy (in comparison Nano Twist is the easiest)
9) For door closing, there are steps / stages (similar to Fabia, Polo and older gen Figo). Door closing feel is solid and gives a lasting impression that Tata vehicles' build quality has vastly improved.
10) Shut lines all over are tight and consistent
11) The driver's seat could do with better shoulder support
12) Steering wheel texture also needs better "Knurling" pattern which can improve grip. Steering diameter is just perfect.

In comparison, petrol engine of the Celerio felt under powered a one which could just about do the job. I very well know that reliability of this K series engine has been proved beyond doubt but for me, it is just another engine.

Hyundai Grand i10 reeks quality and cabin is definitely a good place to be in. but when "Performance" is dialled, this 1.2 litre engine felt lifeless.

Edit: A small but significant addition: the car I drove had covered 11000+ kms and its gear lever was not vibrating. Seat travel is adequate but A,B and C pedals placement (especially clearance between A and B pedal) could be bettered. it is not a big issue all the same.

Another very important point I missed was the mileage (average) I got. The Tiago returned a mileage of 12.3 to 14.6kpl.

I also found that the "ECO" switch is no gimmick. How to prove this?
Depress the accelerator pedal fully when in "CITY" model and feel the power delivery. Do the same thing in "ECO" mode. The response is blunted.

Mind you, you need to do this more than once to feel the drop in acceleration.

CITY mode was better suited for driving in all kinds of traffic conditions. Instantaneous fuel consumption showed better results in CITY mode.

Last edited by noopster : 20th June 2016 at 17:58. Reason: Merging so that nobody misses the later edit
AmarPaithankar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 19:09   #867
BHPian

I test drove tiago petrol last week.

I went there on a weekday to avoid the rush and as expected the showroom was empty.
A waiting period of 8 weeks was mentioned on the noticeboard for all tiago variants.
The SA was confident she can deliver me the car in 6 weeks, berry red was my choice.

The moment I sat in the car, I instantly felt comfortable with the seating and steering wheel position. Tiago definitely feels premium.

Harman Kardon system is superb, I carried my pendrive, tiesto and avicii never sounded so good before

The petrol motor is definitely noisy and felt like diesel, did not feel any shortage of power at any point of time during the test drive.
There was a small off road kind of a section and the SA herself asked me to take that section at high speed because she wanted me to feel how fantastic tiago's suspension is. I did and was mighty impressed with the way tiago handled and the way it dismissed potholes and other obstacles.

Space is adequate for a 6 footer like me, but just about adequate. I managed to sit behind the driver's seat that was adjusted for my height. Three will be a squeeze in the back seat but can be managed.

Overall, super impressed with the car and at around 5.40 lacs on road including amc and all, it is indeed the best your money can get in this segment.

I would also like to share my experience with the SA at concorde motors east delhi where I took the test drive. She was definitely eager to sell a tata car to me, I test drove both nano and tiago. Got the test drive after waiting for only a few minutes. She was patient to all my queries. This weekend I also got a follow up call from her regarding my decision.
There was an air of confidence due to tiago in the entire showroom.
If I manage to save enough funds, tiago petrol xz will definitely be the car for me.

Last edited by Aksthedreamer : 20th June 2016 at 19:10. Reason: added more information
Aksthedreamer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 23:25   #868
BHPian

So my misery continues, no news from either TML or the dealer on when the car would be made available.
Is anyone else in this forum facing the same issue/or knows someone who is.
All efforts to get a response from TML customer service and TSM in vain
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:46   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanile View Post
So my misery continues, no news from either TML or the dealer on when the car would be made available.
Is anyone else in this forum facing the same issue/or knows someone who is.
All efforts to get a response from TML customer service and TSM in vain
You are not alone. I have been following the Tiago owners group on Facebook and WhatsApp very closely. Believe me, there are many who are sailing on the same boat as you are.

But recently I have seen an increase in deliveries of the Tiago, especially the petrol variants. Maybe this is a result of the production change that Tata was talking about earlier.

I seriously hope Tata manages to meet the sales demands efficiently, as Tiago is a highly potent product that the Indian automaker should cash on.
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:51   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanile View Post
AFAIK the dealer updated me that the waiting time has decreased from 13 weeks to 8 weeks officially. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.
kanu2k15 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks