Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2016, 11:57   #736
A M
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

When is Tata thinking of starting deliveries? Or they just never intended to sell it?

This is an awesome product and after all the aggressive marketing and test-drive events and displays in the malls, I haven't seen a single car on the roads. They have messed up the timing of launch and then deliveries. Not sure what Tata is thinking but with each passing day, they are loosing an opportunity here which can revive them in the market.
Old 30th May 2016, 12:28   #737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
When is Tata thinking of starting deliveries? Or they just never intended to sell it?
First batch of Tiagos delivered to 100 customers in a "Grand Delivery Ceremony" in Chennai - 86 petrols, 15 diesels.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-52499508.cms.jpg

Quote:
The event was held at Island Grounds, attended by customers and their families. The Company had planned for entertainment programmes for their customers and families.

The cars were delivered at the hands of Suraj Subbarao, Regional Manager - South, Passenger Vehicles Business Unit, Tata Motors.

Among the 100 cars, 86 were petrol and 15 were diesel Tiagos with the top end XZ Petrol variant being the highest selling model.

ET
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 13:09   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
First batch of Tiagos delivered to 100 customers in a "Grand Delivery Ceremony" in Chennai - 86 petrols, 15 diesels.
My friend got his orange XZ diesel delivered in this massive ceremony. He booked his car in mid April. The car looks excellent in this sunburst orange shade. The car drives and feels just great and is a terrific value for money. This is quite a ceremony and definitely makes a unforgettable mark with the these 100 customers and good marketing.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-hans-xzd.jpg  

Torino is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 13:15   #739
BHPian

Saw 2 sunburst orange Tiagos in Guwahati. Both were without number plates, but didn't have any stickers on them. So might not be demo cars. Looks better in flesh than in photos I felt. Waiting to spot a Red Tiago
Old 30th May 2016, 15:17   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
OT but would like to share it here.

Just yesterday took an Uber from VW showroom back to office. Turned out to be a Vista.
Noticed the ODO at 230k kms so as second nature !, started asking questions on maintenance, how old the car was etc.
The guy plainly said that it required just the time to time servicing and the usual wear and tear replacements and the car gives no trouble.
Was a 2012 model, done those 230k Kms only within the city as he did not use the car for outstation journeys. There were no squeaks and rattles and the AC was chilling.

So lets just say that the First Gen of the Tata cars were the one's which had the durability issues. Their products Vista onwards have been good as far as reliability is concerned.
+1 to that. I was in Chandigarh a month back and the Airport taxi happened to be a Manza operated by 'Mega Cabs'. The vehicle was mechanically in a very good condition but from the scratches outside, it was sure that the vehicle was easily a few years old. On quizzing, the driver - a tall Sardar informed me that his 'malik' runs only tata vehicles and they vouch for the reliability of those. "char lakh aasani se chalta hain" was the answer when i asked him if the engine had been opened yet. Vista and its cousin Manza has surely won the hearts of taxi operators in India. Back to the topic, Tiago might be a good and well rounded package if the Tata record of Zest and Bolt are to be considered. Also i feel the survivability inside a Tiago will be much better than a Celerio or Wagon R (or maybe even a Swift) in the event of an accident as the Kerb weight speaks so. Just about meeting the Indian regulations with 'pass marks' is a game Maruti has mastered and hence their vehicles are lighter and cheaper. This in a way is exploiting the Indian customer's lack of attention to safety. Tata and Hyundai make way better cars than Maruti in terms of solid structural construction.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 16:30   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylthippo View Post
I don't expect Tiago gives good numbers to TATA as I have not yet come across atleast one car on road yet in Hyderabad. But if it can atleast able to pull some crowds to TATA dealerships, it will be good for future launches from TATA (KITE, NEXON, HEXA etc).
I too didn't spot any Tiago till Friday.. Now, I have seen six vehicles, all unregistered, and all are orange coloured.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 17:04   #742
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this Tiago XZ Silver version while coming from office. I followed it from Rakshak chowk till the Sangvi Phata. The vehicle has been purchased from the Concorde Motors, Satara road. It seems that there has been no major launch events organised at Pune before the vehicles are being rolled out. The rear of the vehicle does not impress me much, might be because of the color, which seems too dull.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160530_163007896.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 19:36   #743
BHPian

Came across this on another forum - reposting here for information of fellow BHPians.

Source: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...tiago-129.html

Some accident pics of a brand new Tiago. On first looks, the structure seems to have held up pretty well with the crumple zones seeming to absorb the impact. While the airbags have been activated (including the passenger one), there seems to be an impact on the front windshield on the passenger side? Could this be due to an impact of the passenger not having fastened his/her seatbelt (unlikely, as it may not have triggered the airbag), or could it be due to the impact of the airbag inflating (have seen it in one of the crash test of a Tata car earlier - EDIT: Video Link attached).

Pictures as follows

Tata Tiago : Official Review-1.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-2.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-3.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-4.jpg

Image Copyright - respective owner.

May be related (look at the pattern on the windshield in both cases) - Video of Vista Crash Test

Last edited by sachinayak : 30th May 2016 at 19:40.
sachinayak is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 20:22   #744
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

If the Airbag inflation caused the windshield to break, it is definitely a design flaw that the Tiago shouldn't have inherited from the Vista.

I was really hoping that the breakage happened due to a non-fastened passenger but that doesn't look to be the case. Anyways, the rest of the passenger area seems to have held up pretty well, thumbs up to Tata for making sure that this doesn't crumble like some of its similar priced competitors.

Coming back to the car, the rated power output of the Tiago Petrol engine doesn't agree with the reviews doing the rounds. Anybody who has done a TD of the recent batches of the car? Maybe TaMo has corrected a few things in the newer batches taking advantage of their various delays. Any thoughts?
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 21:04   #745
BHPian

It looks like the car hit a tree at a good speed. In fact, you can see bits of twigs and bark on the wind shield. Most likely the wind shield broke because of an impact with a branch. Hopefully the passengers escaped lightly.

Looking at the extent of the damage this car could very well be an insurance write-off.
Motard_Blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 23:05   #746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
It looks like the car hit a tree at a good speed. In fact, you can see bits of twigs and bark on the wind shield. Most likely the wind shield broke because of an impact with a branch. Hopefully the passengers escaped lightly.

Looking at the extent of the damage this car could very well be an insurance write-off.
Looking at the impact on the glass, i think we can clearly say that its the Airbag that has caused it. It is a rounded central impact, which can be caused by rounded object and i am pretty sure the branches will not make such an impact. This is what i strongly feel. After looking at the Vista Crash test video, made it quite evident. Looks like the design flaw has been carried over..
Old 31st May 2016, 07:12   #747
BHPian

Please note that while the windscreen cracked even in the Vista crash test, it got a 3 star rating. So while this is not a desirable thing, it may not be adversely impacting the safety aspect of the vehicle.

I would happily live with a cracked windscreen instead of a cracked head.

In light of how poorly some of the cars have fared in recent crash tests, it is worth noting that there seems to be absolutely no damage to the cabin \interiors in this case. We can never know the actual speed of this crash, bit it is reassuring (even if it may be a perception) to believe that this is a safe car.

Last edited by sachinayak : 31st May 2016 at 07:15.
sachinayak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 07:25   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Please note that while the windscreen cracked even in the Vista crash test, it got a 3 star rating.

In light of how poorly some of the cars have fared in recent crash tests, it is worth noting that there seems to be absolutely no damage to the cabin \interiors in this case. .
Recent tests if I am right are Global NCAP as against Vista's Asian NCAP. So really can't compare right.
Old 31st May 2016, 11:13   #749
BHPian

Both fenders look like there has not been any impact transferred to them. Looks like the car hit a lamp post or a metal pole.

Windshield cracking according to me is a good thing as it reduces the chance of the head hitting a hard screen in the case of an unbelted co driver.

These accidents are very different from the typical car to car impacts for which vehicles are designed globally. Nevertheless, the Tiago seems to have done well on this count.
Old 31st May 2016, 13:08   #750
BHPian

I had booked my Tiago XT petrol with Aristo Motors in GGN on 4th May. I called the dealer yesterday to find out about the delivery since the promised wait time was 4 weeks.The dealer informed he is expecting some cars and will get to know the details on 1st June. I asked if he has the details of the allocations of the cars that is expected, now here comes the googly, the dealer says allocations would be done by them and not TML which to me was surprising, I though the allocations rested with TML and not the dealer basis the bookings they receive.Can anyone confirm how the allocation is being done? Also if some contact details can be shared for the NCR region since this statement from the dealer has me a bit worried.Called up the customer care number to speak with them and their standard response is please speak with the dealer.I find that to be stupid, if I want to complaint against the dealer why should I be directed to speak with the dealer..anyways waiting for tomorrow to understand what the picture is..again any contact numbers/details for TML NCR will immensely help to put my paranoia to rest. Thanks

Most Viewed