Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 23:53   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Thanks for the tip. In that case I'll probably recommend getting one from a newer batch as well. That being said, I am a little skeptical of the gear ratio changes. That is a major engineering change and would probably have warranted more testing (come to think of it, wouldn't that require ARAI re-certification for fuel economy figures as well?).
Not necessarily.

The birdie didn't say that that they changed the actual gear rations, but tweaked the engine a little bit. I bet they did it within all permissible levels.

They could have also added a bit more dampening material or insulation, or slightly better mounts to suppress the vibrations as much as they could. Hence the smoothness when the engine is on the move, but vibrations will always be there at idling since it's a 3-pot.

Like I said, a recent petrol Tiago owner can shed more light on this.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 01:07   #722

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
1. It's the more recommended one out of the two, so if I was in your place, I would definitely consider it.

2. Definitely. When you have the option of getting a newly manufactured car, why would you go for old stock? I suggest getting a brand new one. There's another reason for that, which I will be getting to in #3.

3. This, I can confirm from my Tata birdies.

The initial batch of petrol "Zica" cars which were made available to media drives received negative feedback regarding engine NVH levels. Being a 3-pot variation of it's 4-pot elder sibling, vibrations are a given, but the first batch were unusually harsh, vibrating badly, and caused ruckus similar to diesels! Tata did some tweaking to the petrol engines and offered them again to the media in it's Tiago avatar and again asked for feedback. The NVH levels, although slightly suppressed, were still pretty much present.

Before starting mass production, the Tiago petrols underwent more tweaking (some work on the injectors + gear ratios), and I am told that later batches (April 2016 onwards) have better refined petrol Tiagos coming out of the Tata factory. At idling on a standstill, the vibrations and noise are pretty much present. Upon revving or driving beyond 20 kmph, the engine settles down to a much smoother tune and the vibrations are minimised to a great extent.

Any new owner of a petrol Tiago, who has picked up an April/May manufactured car, can confirm this.
Thanks Raven AVI and this information is definitely helpful for me. Too much pressure to stick to Petrol for now, given my requirements . After reading the above comment, I started thinking why has Tata changed the delivery dates of Tiago petrol from 1 to 2 months, keeping the dates for Diesel the same. Diesel is any day better car and hence the assumption would be that the bookings should be more for diesel, but instead the waiting time for petrol was increased. I am sure that tiago would not have got so many bookings like the Baleno or Brezza. These thoughts make me assume that Tata is definitely working on the petrol car on its refinement and hence the delay. Hoping my decision to wait for the latest manufactured tiago would be fruitful. I really wish the tiago owners of April+ models let us know about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Apologies, as I re-read my own answer, I would have been unclear about the "manual" part too. But, basically for the initial production runs, there are more rigorous manual checks than automated tests, just to make sure that things are okay. For example, automated tests include using laser gauges both handheld (Link) and on the assembly line that ensure body panel alignment/panel gaps are within factory tolerances, same with dyno runs etc. These automated tests mostly remain the same/are standard for the industry.
However, I know that purchasing/QC staff pay extra attention (i.e. visual inspections) to parts coming in from vendors in the initial lots. A lot more parts are rejected and sent back to the OEM for them to work out the kinks in their production lines.
That's fine Amartya.. no need to Apologize... i got to learn something about these laser sensors.
camero_driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 11:10   #723
Senior - BHPian

From an article on Mint,

Quote:
With 1 lakh enquires in a month since launch and more than 15,000 bookings by the end of April, the Tiago is off to a good start—by Tata Motors standards.
source - http://www.livemint.com/Companies/b6...oove-back.html
safari_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 23:39   #724

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
This is news to me but definitely very good for Tata. This news might seem correct because, today during my conversation with the CSR of TATA, She did mention that their is a new circular from TATA specifying an increase in the wait time to 3 months now.

I am still awaiting the delivery dates for my petrol tiago...
Old 26th May 2016, 08:24   #725
BHPian

If 15,000 bookings is true, why not TATA make an official statement? It will by itself will give others a kind of assurance for others to go for it. When Toyota made an official announcement about Crysta in no time after launch (including the variants booked) what's stopping TATA?
Old 26th May 2016, 20:58   #726

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to share my test drive of both the Petrol and the diesel Tiagos.

Firstly I drive an aging Maruti Alto Lxi, and looking to exchange it for another car with a budget of Max 5L. I drove the K10 Vxi(O) which though feels a lot more peppy, but fundamentally feels bare bones like my present Alto. The interiors have improved but still feels bare bones. Dint feel like I was buying anything new.

So I started looking at other options, which are very few at the price range. I dont like the Celerio. That leaves me to zero options, well almost. As a TATA hater I never even thought about it, till I stumbled upon an ad. The TIAGO looks great, it immediately got my attention. Did some research online, Team BHP , Car wale and so on. And decided to check the car out at the showroom.

The Tiago XZ looks lovely. Cant fault it anywhere. I sat myself on the drivers seat and immediately it felt special. Totally lacking in the Alto K10. Took the petrol for a test drive. I know that everyone says its unrefined. But I beg to differ, its totally fine as a 3 Cylinder Engine. I am used to the Alto Lxi 800 engine, so it was much smoother in comparison, but the low speed annoying lugging does happen like in the alto, but its subdued. The engine felt impressively torquey. I own the first generation Swift Vxi as well and its not as torquey as the Tiago, the Tiago felt light footed for the segment. Its great for relaxed driving, it dint feel free revving though. I pushed it till around 80kph and it was very sure footed. Suspension great, steering great. I have a feeling the car would be better on the highway with the engine characteristic and handling setup.

Now its time for the Diesel test drive. The NVH levels in the car was good. Its not noisy inside. It felt reasonably smooth for a 3 pot and very torquey at low rpms. But it does have a very narrow power band. Between 1600 to 3000 rpm is where it pulls. Feels much lively than the petrol in the city ,but on the highway I think it will run out of breath past 110kph. I am going to try and get a better drive of the car on an empty stretch of road.

With the ALTO K10 Lxi(O) at 4.63L and the Tiago Petrol XM at 4.67L all on road Chennai. The Tiago I feel is a way better car and is a VFM option. My only concern is the reliability of the TATA Tiago. Is there anyone here who can throw light on that aspect. The Tiago feels like a complete Small Car otherwise.

Thanks for reading.
tharunjd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 22:11   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharunjd View Post
My only concern is the reliability of the TATA Tiago. Is there anyone here who can throw light on that aspect. The Tiago feels like a complete Small Car otherwise.
My ex-flat mates who used to work with Tata Motors vouch for the Tiago. I haven't yet driven the car, but I am sure I can take their word for it that it will be one good car to drive as well as maintain. As for Tata's reliability, a Tata bus in my father's village is still running great after 45 years . My father's uncle's Indica is running smooth after 14 years. So don't think that will be much of an issue. I'll say go ahead and get the Tiago

Last edited by TD_GHY : 26th May 2016 at 22:12.
TD_GHY is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 22:31   #728
Senior - BHPian

I have been seeing quite a few new Tiagos on the road here and if it is a sign of things to come, Tata may have a hit on it's hands. About time too. Tata sure has nailed things in the looks department.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 23:24   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
My ex-flat mates who used to work with Tata Motors vouch for the Tiago. I haven't yet driven the car, but I am sure I can take their word for it that it will be one good car to drive as well as maintain. As for Tata's reliability, a Tata bus in my father's village is still running great after 45 years . My father's uncle's Indica is running smooth after 14 years. So don't think that will be much of an issue. I'll say go ahead and get the Tiago
Thanks TD_GHY ....the indicas were prone to niggles here and there. Heard that from man owners. Just wish quality levels have been improved on the Tiago. I am spoilt by the Fill It Shut It Drive it kind of cars like the Alto.
Old 27th May 2016, 23:56   #730
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Can you please post what niggles were present in the first batch of Zest and Bolt? I am keen to read about that.
Please read the consumer complaints website link specific to tata that i gave you properly there are instances of horn not working when turning the wheel, people getting apalling fe figures, ac compressor failing on brand new car etc. I would rather you read these stories yourself instead as I am pretty sure you would not believe me. So instead of poking on with the same question please take some time out and browse through the pages of complaints.

Quote:
Bottomline: Don't issue blanket statements that can unnecessarily hurt (person, sentiments or products).
have not done so in anyway infact I am fighting against the issue of blanket statements that support a person/product without actually accepting ground realities or knowing anything about it, thereby misleading others.

Quote:
Maybe this might be able to explain it better. When a child makes a mistake (dyslexic, Down's syndrome or any kind of 'slow learner') if you keep reprimanding the child of the same mistake, scold it, beat it, mock it, ridicule it - the child never ever achieves it's full potential and forever remains weak. But the same child if provided an encouraging environment does get its self confidence back and often such slow learners outperform beyond expectations.
LOL you clearly dont get my point either. I agree the Tiago is a good product. Not once have I even said that it is unreliable. Just saying that we cannot say that yet and have reason to be cautious. That is all. Is it so hard to swallow? Let me help with a similar example then. If a child is prone to having epileptic seizures, and one day says that he is cured, will you suddenly stop carrying his medication with you?

Anyway unfortunately sentiments can be hurt though I did not mean for that to happen. I believe I have made my stand very clear and if there is any further mis-understanding I urge folks to just go over my posts once again with no prejudice. My point is that it is immature to immediately believe all is fine but I did not mean for it to draw out such reactions and I suppose I should have known better. People who have read my earlier posts will be able to understand that I give credit where it is due but simply don't support random praise for no reason. Again, I have explained things pretty clearly, please do not make me have to post again and again, let us get back to discussing the Tiago now.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th May 2016 at 00:23.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 00:20   #731
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Keep the thread focussed on the product specific discussions and debate. For manufacturer based generic discussion use the relevant thread. Thanks.
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 00:24   #732
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, buying a newly launched car is never a good idea if reliability is a primary concern. Unfortunately, such discussions tend to turn into a brand war but it doesn't matter if it's a Tata or a Merc, all manufacturers take a while to iron out the initial niggles.

If a buyer wants a bulletproof experience, they should wait a year or so before buying. On the other hand, if the odd niggle or issue (that will be settled under warranty anyway) isn't a big deal, by all means buy the Tiago which appears to be a great choice at this price point.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 21:09   #733
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Tata Tiago today, drove behind it for almost 5 kilometers while going to Vashi for a test drive of the Dmax Vcross and I must say, Tiago looks fantastic, it can give the Celerio and most cars a range above a run for their money when it comes to looks. It does not even look like there is any cost cutting done to it if you look at it from outside.
Old 29th May 2016, 08:22   #734
BANNED

I don't expect Tiago gives good numbers to TATA as I have not yet come across atleast one car on road yet in Hyderabad. But if it can atleast able to pull some crowds to TATA dealerships, it will be good for future launches from TATA (KITE, NEXON, HEXA etc).
Old 29th May 2016, 17:00   #735
BHPian

Test drove Tiago today in Chennai. Brilliant car for the price and its definitely better than its rivals(celerio,alto k10)in that price segment.

Here is my honest observations and opinions after testing Tiago and Celerio back to back.

Pros:
- Space,space and lot more space everywhere.
- Tata has improved quality by light years. Everything feels nice to touch(stalks,dashboard). All these coming from VW owner
- Doors close with nice thud. Not as good as german thud but not as bad as Maruti.
- Super comfy seats for all and excellent leg space at rear.
-The petrol engine was rev happy and peppy for city.
-Doesn't lug in 2nd or 3rd gear in city.
-Super smooth clutch and clutch travel is short.
-Suspension absorbed all the potholes with ease.
- Features and Sound system was top notch for the price you pay.
-Steering was tiny and fun to use inside city(Not tested at high speed though)

Cons:
- Safety features only at top end. At Least ABS should have standard.Bad move TATA :(
- Vibes in petrol engine which can be felt in gear lever. Doesn't get inside the cabin or on the pedals though.
- Seat adjustment was flimsy. Was wobbling side to side when i moved the driver seat.
- Gears Shift could have been better.
sid93 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks