Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2016, 10:35   #646
BANNED

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

As mentioned by GTO sir in another thread, TATA might be very very proud of their brand. But, many individual customers in mass market are not proud of owning a TATA. ( When i suggested Tiago to couple of my friends, they claimed that Tiago is still a lot identical to Indica ). No offenses please.

IMHO TATA might have to come up with new brandind to get rid of this misconception ( For example: New Logo, new brand name etc..)
Old 8th May 2016, 14:54   #647
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, 44 pages to go through and I loved the way fellow members have tried to describe each and every possible point.

I am mainly into two wheelers and have decided to go for a 4 wheeler considering the various small requirements that have come up associated with a growing family from 2 to 3. To be very frank, I even do not know how to drive a 4 wheeler. The last memory was those of school days when I accidentally plunged dad's ambassador into a small ditch.

So, please advise if TIAGO is suitable for someone who is just moving into car from 2 wheeler section. Do remember that I have no basic idea about comfort level etc available in other cars or cars in same range. For me, this will eventually turn as our daily means of commute, to be used both by me and wife (after learning).

Also I have heard people posting about the great sound quality from the Harman. Can anybody please post a video / audio so that I can feel the actual sound quality. [I had once purchased a JBL rear sound unit but the car never materialised; though the set is still neatly preserved]

Also is there any link where I can see how the colors practically look on the Tiago? [Other than the orange, silver and the blue one]

Thank you for your time and patience in your suggestions and if everything goes well, then probably by 2016 ending, a Tiago will be there with us.

Regards,
Old 8th May 2016, 17:50   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
I also feel Tata is slipping on their commitments and timelines. Booked the XZ variant on the 11th of April and was told it would take 4 weeks. That has been revised with no clarity on allocations by TML to the dealers.
Something doesn't seem to be right here. Having so much of lead time for go to market, unexpected delay (due to name change) and with under utilized production capacity, not sure why TATA is not able to deliver on promised date for someone who has booked 5 days after launch (unless there's unprecedented booking in first few days)? What is worse is lack of clarity.

From the posts it appears there are issues with diesel version, berry red color (available only after few months) and what not?

Is it the strike, that's causing production delays? Will be interesting to see April sales number for Tiago.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 8th May 2016 at 18:10.
Old 8th May 2016, 19:48   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Something doesn't seem to be right here. Having so much of lead time for go to market, unexpected delay (due to name change) and with under utilized production capacity, not sure why TATA is not able to deliver on promised date for someone who has booked 5 days after launch (unless there's unprecedented booking in first few days)? What is worse is lack of clarity.

From the posts it appears there are issues with diesel version, berry red color (available only after few months) and what not?

Is it the strike, that's causing production delays? Will be interesting to see April sales number for Tiago.
Not really sure what the issue is but what the dealer has told me is that I'm third in queue at his branch and that there are a lot of bookings in the top variant in the particular campaign (sunburst orange) color which is taking longer than normal. He also mentioned that the new waiting period has been revised to eight weeks for the petrol variant too.

What is appaling is the lack of clarity. The dealer says he does not know when Tata will allocate cars and I will know only when the car leaves the TML yard and the lead time will be around eight days from then. But when TML will dispatch it from their yard is the million dollar question!

Indefinite wait till then I guess.
kesh4munni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 23:13   #650
BHPian

Finally found some spare time today to drop into the TATA showroom to check out the Tiago. It was right after a terrible experience from Sundaram Honda, Anna Salai, Chennai (See the below link of my post for details http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3968935)

It was a nice welcoming entry into TATA showroom (TAFE, Anna Salai, Chennai) although there were hardly any customers.

Before posting my views let me say I won't bother to post all the pics or detailed review writeup as The official T-BHP review covered every possible aspect. Here I would just post my brief views on the car and the TD as well as the dealership experience.

The dealership had 2 cars in display. XZ Diesel Orange and XM Petrol White. Of course the XZ was the fully loaded variant. Below are my observations:
  • The car looks very nice and clean from all angles. It's a contemporary design which will appeal for large sections of the public as well as can stay neutral for atleast a decade.
  • The exterior panel gaps are OK but TATA could do better in aligning all the panels properly as I found some minor misalignments in a couple of locations. But all in all the exteriors were quite nice and refreshing from TATA's stable.
  • Under the hood everything seems to be laid out well. The oil filter is easily accessible from top.
  • There is wheel well plastic cladding. Good to see this for a car in this pricing range. Certainly reduces the NVH.
  • No under body protection
  • Interiors were very impressive and as already indicated by many in this thread they look class above. A big jump for TATA.
  • The fit and finish looks fantastic
  • The quality of plastics were very good and felt far better than even the BR-V which I happened to check just before this one.
  • The feel and touch of all the buttons on the infotainment system felt premium
  • One eye sore in the cabin were the door lock which stick out that can be pulled up (unlock) or down (lock). Very old school as well as were very poor quality. It was already coming off in one of the TD cars.
  • The Harman audio system was simply brilliant and even a 15L car won't have the same. The crisp sound clarity, perfect base and treble combination and no distortion even at very high volumes will certainly put a smile on the face of music lovers. Hats off TATA...
  • The front seats are very comfortable and with the height adjustment of the driver seat its easy to find a comfortable position.
  • Couple of wish to have techs in this car are - electrically foldable ORVMS and push start button. But they are not deal breakers though.

Took short TDs of both Diesel and Petrol. First up Diesel:
  • Some vibration felt when cranking up the engine but will immediately settle down
  • The refinement levels were great and NVH is impressive.
  • AC was quite effective and didn't find the noise (even in fan speed 2-3) to be too intrusive as many suggested in this thread. But of course it is slightly higher than some other cars...totally livable though
  • The low end torque was plenty enough for city driving and can be ambled around in the traffic without having to workout the gears too much. Further, the engine had decent power for its size with linear power delivery. Really liked the drive.
  • The suspension was great and dismissed a couple of medium sized craters with ease.
  • Steering was another feather in the cap of Tiago. It was perfect to hold, was easy to maneuver at slow speeds and does weigh up at speeds (although I could;t test to at high speeds). The feedback was decent as well.

Overall thoroughly impressed by the Diesel engine. Next up Petrol:
  • Immediately as I ingested the engine, I was able to feel the vibrations in the gear knob, pedals and the seat. Even the NVH levels were poor with the clatter from 3 pot petrol very much audible. Infant I even asked the SA, whether he was sure that it was a petrol and he double confirmed it. SA was saying that it was one of the earlier car they received in the month of December/Jan and he was saying the latest batch doesn't have such vibrations/noise. I had my doubts though.
  • Driveability was poor. The low end torque was almost non existent that even in the first gear I could hear the clunky clatter/lugging of the engine. I though there was something wrong with the clutch.
  • Due such low torque the city driveability would be cumbersome with a lot of gear shifting.
  • There was not much power either.
  • All the fun I had with Diesel immediately faded away and could;t really comprehend that this petrol was the same car.
  • Gear shift felt slightly notchy for both Petrol and Diesel.

End of the day, I was very impressed with the Diesel car and the petrol was a great disappointment. Hope it was just the TD car which I drove...not sure...!

Dealership:TAFE Reach Ltd, Anna Salai, Chennai
Dealership Experience: Being a Sunday afternoon, there were not too many customers in the showroom. We were immediately attended and have been shared the brochure and price list. The SA explained the variants and showed the display cars. Although the SA was not perfect in all the specs, atlas he made an honest effort. The test drive was not more than 2-3 kms each in the petrol and diesel car. If interested, SA said they will bring the car home for a longer TD. They are open for the customer to pick the insurance from the showroom or elsewhere. Overall a pleasant experience.
thatsdileep is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 00:44   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post

Now back to the point, with prices lower than the Celerio, i think the primary comparison of Tiago should be with Celerio and not Grand i 10 which is clearly a segment above if one goes by the pricing.

How can Grand i10 be a segment higher just because it's priced very high in comparison with Tiago?
Tiago is a perfect contender for Grand i10 and well in their segment !
Old 9th May 2016, 01:53   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I am mainly into two wheelers and have decided to go for a 4 wheeler considering the various small requirements that have come up associated with a growing family from 2 to 3. To be very frank, I even do not know how to drive a 4 wheeler. The last memory was those of school days when I accidentally plunged dad's ambassador into a small ditch.

So, please advise if TIAGO is suitable for someone who is just moving into car from 2 wheeler section. Do remember that I have no basic idea about comfort level etc available in other cars or cars in same range. For me, this will eventually turn as our daily means of commute, to be used both by me and wife (after learning).

Also I have heard people posting about the great sound quality from the Harman. Can anybody please post a video / audio so that I can feel the actual sound quality. [I had once purchased a JBL rear sound unit but the car never materialised; though the set is still neatly preserved]

Also is there any link where I can see how the colors practically look on the Tiago? [Other than the orange, silver and the blue one]

Nothing can replace the feeling of checking the car in the flesh.
Be it space, sound or color options, *your* sense organs will have the best answer.

May I suggest you to learn driving before buying? You can test drive multiple cars and pick the one you like.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 12:29   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
End of the day, I was very impressed with the Diesel car and the petrol was a great disappointment. Hope it was just the TD car which I drove...not sure...!

Dealership:TAFE Reach Ltd, Anna Salai, Chennai
Dealership Experience: Being a Sunday afternoon, there were not too many customers in the showroom. We were immediately attended and have been shared the brochure and price list. The SA explained the variants and showed the display cars. Although the SA was not perfect in all the specs, atlas he made an honest effort. The test drive was not more than 2-3 kms each in the petrol and diesel car. If interested, SA said they will bring the car home for a longer TD. They are open for the customer to pick the insurance from the showroom or elsewhere. Overall a pleasant experience.

Comparing torque within city of Tiago P/Figo 1.2/Kwid/Beat P/Alto 800:

Diesel's helps with low end as you would know. Alto 800 ( not the current one) has better low end torque than Figo 1.2,Tiago Petrol and Kwid in city. Kwid too had better low end torque than Tiago Petrol and Ford 1.2! Beat excels here.

Comparing highway ride of Tiago P/Figo 1.2/Kwid/Alto 800:

Beat's better but Tiago is good (great for a 3 pot!). Rest, well, avoid.

Comparing Interior of Tiago XM.XZ /Figo Ambiente 1.2/Kwid/Alto 800:

Tiago wins hands down.

Cost
Tiago XZ costs 5.4X at Trivandrum.
Tiago XT costs 4.87 at Trivandrum.
Add 18k and you get 2 air bag and height adjustable drivers seat in XT!

Figo Ambiente comes around 5.5k.
Kwid top end costs 4.36 lac and had a unbelievable 6 month waiting period.
Beat LS cost 5.4 lac but don't have air bag which Figo/Kwid (only one)/Tiago has.

Last edited by jkdas : 9th May 2016 at 12:31.
jkdas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 18:43   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanile View Post
Tata Tiago XT Silver booked with Aristo Motors GGN. They gave the best exchange price for my 9 year old Indica (P).Expected DoD 04th June. OTR price break up-
Ex showroom 419500
Insurance-16965
Registration-27475
L&C-1100
Total: 4,65,040
Were offering the normal add-ons. Refused. Told them will be looking at other quotes available for insurance.
So I got a booking number from Arito motors, is there any option of checking the authenticity of the same with TML??
Also I feel the car manufacturers should have some sort of an avenue where the customer can track the progress of the car, like for e.g if you order online with Dominos it shows a step by step stage of where the order currently is. Something similar will be innovative from a car manufacturers.
Mods: Please pls amend if this is off topic.
Old 9th May 2016, 18:59   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Also I feel the car manufacturers should have some sort of an avenue where the customer can track the progress of the car
If i am not mistaken, Renault India had implemented some similar concept at the launch of the Duster. This ensured, the dealers did not allocate your car to someone else would be okay to pay extra (accessories or otherwise) to get an allotment out of turn.

Quote:
e.g if you order online with Dominos it shows a step by step stage of where the order currently is.
Completely off-topic but this Dominos status tracking is a complete farce. It auto updates status periodically no matter what. I place bulk orders quite frequently for my team and it shows out for delivery, when it is not even done baking. sorry for off-topic conversation.
Old 9th May 2016, 19:10   #656
BHPian

So I called up TML customer care. I wanted to verify the reference number quoted by the dealer. Here is how the conversation went

Me: I have been given this ref number by your dealer for my booking of TIAGO can you pls confirm if my booking shows in the TML records.
CSR: Sir I am sorry but we do not have any information regarding your bookings, pls contact the dealer.
Me: The reason why I am calling you is to confirm the booking is indeed placed and the dealer is not taking me for a ride...
CSR: Again sir we are sorry we do not have any such information.As per the protocol the dealer gets a list after 2 days of entering the information in the system, you will need to check with the dealer on the same
Call disconnected. So am the mercy of the dealer and on his whims and fancies. As per the dealer he told me the cars are booked in lots and they get a lot of 10 cars.My booking number ends in 57...taking that logic into a/c another 3 more cars to be booked before TML dispatches the car??
Old 10th May 2016, 07:59   #657
BHPian

Dropped into B.D.Motors Chinar Park, Kolkata for a TD of a Petrol Tiago. A few observations of the same. There was an XZ variant on display and an XM being readied for delivery.
First, The sales people were not at all confident. They started describing the headlight design to us Also the only document they had was a product brochure with nothing much in it. This was strange after coming from a maruti showroom(went to check out the K10 and Wagon R there, boy what a difference in customer service). The guy even has the balls to say 'Sir, Maruti couldn't even sell the Baleno this time' and i was like 'Buddy please concentrate on the car you have'. Though they were quick to arrange for a TD.
As for the car, What i liked
1. very well built (everything is hard and feels heavy) especially after checking our marutis.
2. seats are comfy
3. Simply loved the steering and handling was decent.
4. drove over some rough patches, suspensiion is well sorted out.
5. Plastics are good but certain parts like the ones under the handbrake and seat plastics could have been better IMHO.
6. Harman Kardonn is probably the best i have heard in a small car.
7. Feature list is long.
And what i didn't like:
1. vibrations of the petrol engine - can be felt in the gear lever and steering till 3k rpm, car feels best when driven around 3k rpm. gear shifts are slick and short but need to rev at the low end.
2. doors were misaligned and door beading seemed it wont last the distance.
3. XM seemed under tyred for the kind of weight Tiago carries. Not sure why companys skimp on tyre size, SA says to preserve fuel economy. What about FE of top end models with wider tyres?
4. No company benefits yet and prices about to go up from 10th.
5. The dashboard had a bulge in the middle which was distracting and affected visibilty.

A fantastic car, with a lot of effort put n by TATA, and simply let down by the sales people. Not sure about the service people now. I liked the car but did not like the experience in the showroom. Maruti is eons ahead here.
shantonob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 12:34   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The TeamBhp review states that the AC is very effective.

I think the AC issue being reported by some members here could be due to a clogged AC filter. This happened quite a few times in the Nano and it is irritating because the blower noise increases but the cooling efficiency decreases. I used to live in a dusty environment (road construction all around) and the filter got clogged within a week of replacement. The culprit is a piece of filter paper that can be replaced in 10 minutes. If that is the case, I'm surprised that the showroom folks are not replacing these filters on a regular basis.
hmmm.. interesting, so are we saying that so the A/C filters of so many NEWLY launched test drive cars get clogged in so many cities that it led to the build up of a bad reputation for the A/C, wow!
[i][/ye kya mazaaak hai!I]
Old 10th May 2016, 14:42   #659

In the city of Kochi/Ernakulam one would encounter narrow roads, apart from being bad, and tight corners while parking into the porch. We own a Chevy U-VA, which we are looking to replace, and it takes quite an effort to get it in and out of the porch as well as the compound. A lot of back and forth movement is needed before the vehicle can safely enter the gate and then again a similar effort is needed to get it into the porch. I made a comparative table of the specifications of different hatchbacks running on Petrol, with the U-Va serving as the reference. Budget, dimensions and turning radius, interior space, and the ease of entry and exit into the rear seat (in that order) were the main factors considered. Despite the general opinion about Tata's cars, I have a soft corner towards them for the space they provide in the backseat. The Tiago was added to this list, which also included among others,

the Ritz - for its airy feel, and Maruti it is.
the Kwid - space, yes but plasticky??
and the Brio - smallest turning radius, easy entry and exit for rear seat but rear seat comfort/claustrophobia?

The Tiago and Kwid actually fit into the budget (~4.5L). I visited the Renault showroom at Kalamasseri and had a thorough inspection of the Kwid. It is a well styled and packaged car. However, I have serious doubts about its reliability, escpecially its plastic fuel tank and body strength. I haven't test driven it yet, nor the Brio. The Brio is above the budget limit, and the limited ground clearance is also an issue (atleast on paper) on the roads of Kochi, which are seriously terrible.

Earlier last week I visited the RF Motors Showroom at Edapally, Kochi to check out the Tiago. The SA was very courteous and immediately handed over the brochure and detailed price-list and went ahead explaining the details of the XZ (p) that was on show. I insisted on a TD which would test its ease of entry into our lane and car porch. Since the driving instructor was away with another demo elsewhere, they offered to come to my home and pick me up on a later day. I should admit that the SA was prompt and did call back regarding my availability at home and the Tiago XZ (petrol) came home yesterday evening. She was also present along with the driving instructor.

As soon as the instructor alighted to check out the entry into our compound his glasses got frosted. The AC was on level 2 for the 1 hour that they had been driving, for another TD. I explained to him the situation. He went ahead and was able to easily reverse the vehicle into the compound and then into the porch. Took a video of that as well. I then took it out for a ride myself and drove for ~6 km through a road where the average speed is ~25-30 kmph. Here is what I observed:

1. The clutch has to be pressed to start the engine. The instructor told me that it was a safety feature. I feel it is a nice move.

2. The pick up was satisfactory and adequate for safe/sedate driving under city traffic conditions. The ECO mode did slow the acceleration a bit.

3. There was lugging while getting away from speed breakers on the 2nd gear, however it wasn't as pronounced as it is in the Alto.

4. The ride was comfortable, with the driver seat height and steering adjustability, and the space. For the speeds at which it was tested, which would be the driving speed on city roads, the suspension is fine.

5. AC was good. I didn't observe any the complaints raised by a few others on this thread.

6. Everybody is going bonkers over the Harman sourced infotainment system. I should admit I didn't try it as it is available only on the XT and XZ variants, while I'm looking to buy the XE/XM.

7. The rear seat was comfortable, with its contours. Although not as spacious as the Vista or the Bolt, I was able to easily get in and out of the rear seat with the driver's seat adjusted for my height (5'11"). However my head was definitely touching the roof liner.

8. I was able to park the vehicle very easily, without any need to go back and forth to adjust its alignment with the walls/pillars around.

9. The rear parking sensors are very very very sensitive. It would shriek out to warn me even for a dangling leaf that might be on its path.

10. The instructor admitted that there was just "one" drawback to the car, the pull-type door locks.

11. There were 3 pieces of metal that were welded into the body on the sides of the spare wheel storage area. I couldn't take a photograph. The weld marks looked ugly and out of place on a refreshingly well built and finished car. When I pointed it out, the SA and the instructor were not sure with their replies. They said it might be an opening to reach something underneath it. Maybe someone here could clear that.

12. LED fuel & temperature gauge are present only in the XZ variant. This is according to the brochure provided to us and on the website. It being absent in the other variants would be bad.

13. I have to mention here that I was asked by the SA whether the booking will be confirmed if I am picked up from home. They reasoned that the delivery of the cars haven't begun yet.

So, will I buy it? That will be done after the people who will be actually seated in the rear take a TD and evaluate it.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th May 2016 at 14:45.
ClassicScooter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 15:10   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post

3. XM seemed under tyred for the kind of weight Tiago carries. Not sure why companys skimp on tyre size, SA says to preserve fuel economy. What about FE of top end models with wider tyres?
4. No company benefits yet and prices about to go up from 10th.
5. The dashboard had a bulge in the middle which was distracting and affected visibilty.

A fantastic car, with a lot of effort put n by TATA, and simply let down by the sales people. Not sure about the service people now. I liked the car but did not like the experience in the showroom. Maruti is eons ahead here.

What tyres did it have? Isnt it 175's? Chevy Beat comes with 155's for Petrol and 165 for Diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks