Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2020, 20:58   #2566
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnerd View Post
Congratulations on the new car. Enjoy!

How was your purchase experience? How long was the waiting time?

I'm looking forward to reading your review since I'm thinking of going for the new BS6 variant and would like to read some real ownership experiences.
The purchase experience was extremely smooth. My workplace is approximately 170 km from my hometown where I bought the car. I contacted the dealer via form available in Tata motors website and received a call from them which then redirected me to the dealer I requested. The SA called me and offered quotations via whatsapp. After telephonic negotiations the final offer was received and then the loan process was initiated. The loan was approved almost immediately without me having to visit the branch; the bank people handed me the DD in my office itself.

The SA informed me that the new stock has just arrived and offered me a car on the basis of my colour choice. I told him that I will come to the showroom and conduct the PDI and take delivery on the same day to which he agreed.

Then the day arrived-16.07.2020. I started at 5am from my workplace and reached the showroom, conducted the PDI and took delivery. Total time taken in dealership was around 2hrs which is acceptable considering the fact that I got a car I wanted via telephonic booking and same day delivery. Total time taken from enquiry to delivery was 1 week.

I am quite impressed considering the fact that I was a bit sceptical at the beginning.

Coming to the review, I will surely try to compile the experiences. But, this being my first car I am still learning to drive and so the review will take few days. One thing I am sure now is that the car is quite refined contrary to what is expected of a 3 cylinder motor. The NVH levels are also quite good. You barely hear the motor or get any vibration in the gear lever or steering wheel. The car, in this xz+ trim, is very appealing and is equipped with all bells and whistles compared to cars in the same price range. One of my friends, who owns a MS Baleno, even said that he likes the looks of my car more than his.
Akash.D is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 21:55   #2567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash.D View Post
The purchase experience was extremely smooth. My workplace is approximately 170 km from my hometown where I bought the car. I contacted the dealer via form available in Tata motors website and received a call from them which then redirected me to the dealer I requested. The SA called me and offered quotations via whatsapp. After telephonic negotiations the final offer was received and then the loan process was initiated. The loan was approved almost immediately without me having to visit the branch; the bank people handed me the DD in my office itself.
Could you share a cost breakdown that was offered? Did you get insurance from the showroom or online? If you did it by yourself, could you share the details of what information is needed for doing the insurance part by yourself.

You did not try a TD of the vehicle or get a competing offer from another showroom?

Glad to hear that you're happy with the refinement of the new engine. The BS6 tuning seems to have reduced mileage but improved refinement. One week turn-around time is quite impressive.
Old 21st July 2020, 07:23   #2568
BHPian

Quote:
Could you share a cost breakdown that was offered? Did you get insurance from the showroom or online? If you did it by yourself, could you share the details of what information is needed for doing the insurance part by yourself..
Ex-showroom price : Rs. 599000
Insurance (1+3) : Rs. 36542 (I got Rs. 600 back)
Discounts : Cash Rs. 15000 Corporate : 2000
Total in road : Rs. 651056

Quote:
You did not try a TD of the vehicle or get a competing offer from another showroom?.
I have extensively researched about the car and asked multiple people including my uncle who has a 4 year old Tiago. Everyone seemed to be very satisfied with the car. Since I don't know how to drive, I didn't take a TD. However I have seen numerous test drive videos and also read here in TBHP forums about the same.

Since I had to buy the car in my hometown and there is no other dealer, I was out of option. Due to the covid19 situation, no dealer was giving inter district delivery. However, the offer appeared to be lower than that offered by the dealer at my workplace (confirmed by a colleague who bought the same variant in June).
Akash.D is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 18:39   #2569
BHPian

What is the grade of the AMT fluid? and any brand recommendations?
Old 27th July 2020, 07:29   #2570
BHPian

Day before yesterday when me any my father were on our 5 am drive something weird happened. After the usual 10 odd kms, we swapped and my father took the wheel. When he engaged first gear and released the clutch, the car won't move, it didn't even stall. He tried every other gear but the car neither moved nor stalled. At last, when he restarted the engine and tried again the car finally moved with a few jerks and then everything was fine. We drove another 10 km without any problem back to our home.

I tried to replicate the situation yesterday and today but the issue didn't surface and the car drove as fine as new.

I think the clutch didn't engage back upon releasing the lever due to which the car didn't move.

Anyone else who has faced similar issue with the car?
Old 27th July 2020, 12:24   #2571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone else who has faced similar issue with the car?
If the gear was shifted with clutch not fully disengaged (i.e. without fully pressing the clutch pedal to the floor) - this generally tends to happen. Generally then the way to come out of it is to double clutch to shift into neutral, and then double clutch again to properly shift to 1st.

Also - if the gear stick is not pressed fully to the slotting position, the gear doesn't engage probably & the transmission just makes a krrrrrrrr sound when clutch is engaged afterwards. I'm suspecting one of these 2 happened in your experience. Very highly probable if your dad is used to driving non-Tata cars more often. I faced this for the first 4-5 kms when my Nexon was new! Then my muscle memory got trained. For now - I don't think you need to worry. With running in - the notchy gear-box will also smoothen out more & this phenomenon will subside in general.

Last edited by Reinhard : 27th July 2020 at 12:26.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 12:53   #2572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If the gear was shifted with clutch not fully disengaged (i.e. without fully pressing the clutch pedal to the floor) - this generally tends to happen.
This may be the correct explanation since my father said at the beginning that the clutch travel is a bit more in this car.
Old 28th July 2020, 20:48   #2573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This may be the correct explanation since my father said at the beginning that the clutch travel is a bit more in this car.
Press the clutch fully and engage the gear fully. I mean fully until no further push is possible.
I am driving Tiago for over a year now and no such things are observed ever.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 15:28   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Press the clutch fully and engage the gear fully. I mean fully until no further push is possible.
I am driving Tiago for over a year now and no such things are observed ever.
It has been many days and the problem has not surfaced so far. However, I have noticed a humming noise while reversing the car. Is it normal?
Old 30th July 2020, 18:12   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
It has been many days and the problem has not surfaced so far. However, I have noticed a humming noise while reversing the car. Is it normal?
If it is a whining noise that you are talking about, then it is normal. All cars have it. It is because of the Reverse Gear being a spur (straight-cut) gear, rather than being helical like the Forward Gears.

Last edited by ram.iyer95 : 30th July 2020 at 18:13.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 18:22   #2576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
If it is a whining noise that you are talking about, then it is normal. All cars have it. It is because of the Reverse Gear being a spur (straight-cut) gear, rather than being helical like the Forward Gears.
Nicely put @ram.iyer95! Indeed if it sounds like amplified sound from a remote control 4x4 crawler toy - its common in all regular cars. (You might have heard a similar sound in fact in the forward gears of a Premier Padmini also - if you were lucky enough to have been born in our part of the 1900s . Especially the un-synchronized 1st gear.). In addition to the spur friction, the reverse gear also has a very short ratio to ensure quick reversal with ample torque in case of slopes etc. The engine revvs increase fast in this gear further inducing the noise/sound.

Last edited by Reinhard : 30th July 2020 at 18:25.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 18:44   #2577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manan9876 View Post
What is the grade of the AMT fluid? and any brand recommendations?
Below is mentioned in Tiago manual -
Specification - Hydraulic Oil.
Company name/brand - Petronas Tutela Cs-Speed.

Hope it helps.
Old 30th July 2020, 19:07   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
It is because of the Reverse Gear being a spur (straight-cut) gear, rather than being helical like the Forward Gears.
That explains it. I wonder why car manufacturers use spur gears for reverse even though helical gears have more load carrying capacity besides being noiseless as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
...if it sounds like amplified sound from a remote control 4x4 crawler toy...
Exactly the kind of sound I hear. The thing is, this is my first car and it is quite a new experience that I am having .
Akash.D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 19:41   #2579
BHPian

Quote:
That explains it. I wonder why car manufacturers use spur gears for reverse
Primarily for cost reasons, as per my understanding. Reverse gear is anyway not synchronised since you are going to engage it only while stationary; a simple spur gear would make engagement easier and also prove to be cheaper to manufacture.

Apologies for going off-topic with respect to the context of the thread.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 19:56   #2580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Below is mentioned in Tiago manual -
Specification - Hydraulic Oil.
Company name/brand - Petronas Tutela Cs-Speed.

Hope it helps.
Hahah yes I have seen the same, but it is really unhelpful, I mean motor oil is of different grades and on searching for the petronas; on Amazon india only one vague result of grade 75W comes up.

I tired asking the local Tata service centres and they were unhelpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks