Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2019, 18:50   #2446
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Yes, it is a feature on the Tiago. No one can do anything about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crodjer View Post
You mean there is no solution for this? The Tiagos I test drove didn't have this exact issue.
A simple solution exists with service centre guys. A foam padding of sorts is kept in place at 3-4 "junctions" between dash and front body. Amazingly, it works extremely well.
Just wish this had some permanent solution or a redesign from Tata guys.
Old 28th December 2019, 18:53   #2447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
A simple solution exists with service centre guys. A foam padding of sorts is kept in place at 3-4 "junctions" between dash and front body. Amazingly, it works extremely well.
Yes, it does. But not for too long; it is back after a few days of use. I've got that foam put, removed and inserted about twice or thrice. Now, I just live with it.
Old 28th December 2019, 21:55   #2448
Team-BHP Support

The problem is the dash has more clips than bolts holding it together, so any 'fix' isn't going to last. The whole thing needs to be redesigned to be bolted down, or at least have more robust clips.
Old 28th December 2019, 22:45   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodjer View Post

No issues except a rattle that I hear from the dashboard. It only is heard on rough roads and bumps (plenty in Bangalore).
My Tiago dashboard rattles when the car is cold or outside temperature is cold. Once the temperature increases, rattling noise decreases thats why i like to drive the car in the noon.
tushky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 11:36   #2450

Hello Tiago NRG owners,
I am contemplating Tiago nrg for taking my small family on long drives. We are adventure seeking people and love the mountains !

I would really appreciate it if someone would share their experience regarding following points;
1. Do you think this is a good choice for exploring places like spiti valley or north sikkim?
2. Now that the diesel is discontinued, I could ask for more discount on available stock, if any... But then I dont really know which engine is better, petrol or diesel.
3. Has anyone tried the Road Side Assistance of Tata?

Thanks in advance !
Old 29th December 2019, 12:28   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelogue View Post
1. Do you think this is a good choice for exploring places like spiti valley or north sikkim?
2. Now that the diesel is discontinued, I could ask for more discount on available stock, if any... But then I dont really know which engine is better, petrol or diesel.
3. Has anyone tried the Road Side Assistance of Tata?
1. People have explored spiti and ladakh in less. So, that in itself isn't a limitation per se. But be mindful of low ground clearance on bad roads. Also, the grunt isn't adequate enough for climbing too steep an incline.
2. Tbh, I drive a diesel and has me addicted to the turbo boost. But, petrol engine has a better performance albeit without the sudden boost. Its a decent engine for its size and on a budget.
3. I had a issue in first year when I had to call Tata RSA. They were quick to respond. The service guy was polite enough and handed me a bottle of chilled water, that made me calm. When he couldn't start it, he arranged for a flat bed to tow it to nearest service Centre. (it was a fuel pump failure.) Other users have reported positive responses from Tata RSA too.
Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 00:22   #2452

I am happy to announce that I have booked a white Tiago NRG petrol.
Thank you @torq and everyone in this thread for sharing your honest reviews and experiences.
I look forward to getting more tips and useful info for making our journey with Tata and Tiago a memorable one.
Will also share my booking and delivery experience, when it happens.
By that time I am looking for some useful threads that can tell me more about owning a car.
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:38   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Just wish this had some permanent solution or a redesign from Tata guys.
I faced this in my indica and this is the solution I also ended up doing 10 years ago. Seems nothing has changed!
One weekend, I asked a friend to drive the car, while I tracked down the rattles and stuck double sided foam tape in all the loose fitting joints. Key culprits I found were IRVM, CHMSL, Speaker grills and mounting. Yours may be different Good luck!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:05   #2454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelogue View Post
I am happy to announce that I have booked a white Tiago NRG petrol.
Thank you @torq and everyone in this thread for sharing your honest reviews and experiences.
I look forward to getting more tips and useful info for making our journey with Tata and Tiago a memorable one.
Will also share my booking and delivery experience, when it happens.
By that time I am looking for some useful threads that can tell me more about owning a car.
Congrats and have a long lasting ownership of NRG. It is indeed an amazing vehicle. In last 6 months or so I have not scrapped the bottom once no matter how much the car is loaded.
A few tips and experiences I had after 6 months of ownership though.
1. Once you put the car in second gear try to lift foot from clutch ASAP before accelerating, reason: you might get the head nodding jerks from the car. It happened with me initially and reduced to almost nil after second service.
2. The ORVMs are a bit odd since the car body is extended a little more outside of the tyre line. This sometimes errs in judging the tyre over a pothole and may end up brushing the ORVM on a parking wall or passing car's ORVM. This is not something very alarming but I found it only with this car. I have driven much wider cars but this is unique with Tiago.
3. I bought the spare tyre of the same size of the others with a rim. This was my personal call since I am against changing a tyre two times after a puncture. And do not want to restrict speed to 80KMPH with the spare tyre. Nobody bought my older tyre and rim, still thinking what to do with that
4. Vibrations are there and nothing can be done about them. I love them but the taste may vary from person to person.
5. Do get steering cover since some of the videos say they had the steering wheel material coming out due to cracks and hardness over a couple of years.
6. I got some good foot mats and center arm rest and that is indeed needed for long drives.
7. Light coloured dust is always visible on black interiors. Keep it clean else it looks horrible
8. Make sure all panels are properly fitted, I had a few of them very loose and only in first service got them tightened up, bad from TATA, their PDI was not good in my case.
9. I went for their NRG kit wherein they added Seat covers, some cosmetics around head and tail lamps and a black strip on boot hatch. No chrome for NRG and I love it all black. Covers are good and were needed to protect the seats from my young daughter's habits of eating and spilling in car.

That's what I could think of as some lessons learnt.
rajivtelang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 02:22   #2455
BHPian

It's been 33 months with our Tata Tiago XZA+ 1.2 Revotron.
1st batch of the AMTs since launch. Although a detailed ownership thread is still pending, the car has done 20,000 kms since then and been to Mahabaleshwar, Matheran, Pune, Lavasa, Surat, Kevadiya and even Goa!

No complaints really. Engine does the job. Holds triple digit speeds. Steering is a joy, especially as it weighs up. NVH is decent. AMT performs to my satisfaction in SPORTS mode. Enough cubby holes. Music system is simply wonderful. AC is a chiller too.
That being said...
We REALLY miss
  1. Touchscreen with Android Auto
  2. Automatic Climate Control
  3. Rear Arm rest
  4. Rear adjustable head rest
  5. Auto folding mirrors

(most of which is available in the current gen Tiago and was available in the Tigor back then - but the Tigor didn't have the AMT in the top variant - before someone asks why we didn't opt for Tigor instead)

What we also sorely missed from day 1 - were good headlamps! This upgrade was long pending and due to a variety of reasons, it took this long... but it's done. Finally!

Presenting (for the third time in the forum?) Tigor headlamps in a Tiago!

At the onset must thank forum member drhoneycake for having led the way and paved it for the others with his detailed post here (Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!).
Other forum members cartman and rutwij for their guidance and help throughout this exercise.
Special mention to Mr. Bhaskar from Tata Motors and Mr. Manoj Shetty from Inderjit Cars (TASS) at Mira Road for making this possible.
Must mention the reason the car looks good and shines in the photos below even after 3 years is due to Ceramic Coating by Mr. Sandesh Shetty at PMP car care, Kandivali.

Now, let the pictures do the talking...

Tata Tiago : Official Review-slide1.jpeg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-slide2.jpeg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-slide3.jpeg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-slide4.jpeg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-slide5.jpeg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-slide6.jpeg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-slide7.jpeg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-slide8.jpeg

Overall, very happy with the outcome viz-a-viz the effort and cost.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 17:00   #2456
BHPian

Guys i have been facing this issue for some time, service centre guys didn't fix it at all, I'm disappointed with them but that's for another comment
The issue is, suppose I'm going at 60-70 along a corner, and mid corner there is a bump or undulation or badly finished roads, and and when the car falls into it, the car suddenly loses control. It's like it turns to the left, if I'm going towards a left corner and it loses control, and towards the right if the corner is right.
Sometimes there is no order, the wheel loses control in random direction, left or right. I can also feel the sudden instability on the steering wheel as well.
It has been a while since last alignment, will an alignment fix this or is it something more serious?
Hasn't been in any serious accidents, i am lost as to why this is happening. I didn't bother for long because the car wasn't being used much, but the running has increased exponentially over the last few weeks and I'd like to not have a heart in mouth moment everytime the car falls in a pothole mid-corner.
Any help would be appreciated.
There are many many more problems, rattles etc. but this is the most serious.

Last edited by SaiSW : 4th January 2020 at 17:02.
Old 4th January 2020, 17:04   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Guys i have been facing this issue for some time, service centre guys didn't fix it at all, I'm disappointed with them but that's for another comment
The issue is, suppose I'm going at 60-70 along a corner, and mid corner there is a bump or undulation or badly finished roads, and and when the car falls into it, the car suddenly loses control. It's like it turns to the left, if I'm going towards a left corner and it loses control, and towards the right if the corner is right.
Sometimes there is no order, the wheel loses control in random direction, left or right.
Have the steering rack damper adjustment checked. The damper exists to prevent sudden movement and wobble in the steering and if it's too loose then this type of behaviour can result.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th January 2020 at 22:00. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 5th January 2020, 19:28   #2458
BHPian

Guys. One of my friends is looking to pick up a Dec 2017 Tiago XZA AMT version with 35k on the odo. He said he was able to negotiate upto 4.5L for the deal. However I tried searching carwale for a probable evaluation with no luck.

Some questions from his end

1) He currently drives an Alto AMT and he is fed up of the rattles and the jerky AMT. Is the Tiago any better (both from rattles and jerkiness perspective)?
2) Is the price negotiated reasonable? Any scope for further negotiation?
3) Any obvious things to look out for before finalising the deal? He says he drove it a bit and everything seemed tight.
4) Anyone have the features list of the 2017 Tiago XZA AMT? Not sure if the current feature list on the TATA website hold good for the 2017 model.

Thanks in advance.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 00:25   #2459

Hello All,

i bought an used Tiago with 42000 km on odometer. It is an XZ variant from 2018. I drove recently 2000 kms which includes lot of city and higyways driving as well.Here is my observation to support any prospective buyer. And little bit of comparison with VW ameo which i had driven before tiago extensively and now as well.

First negative points in my personal opinion.

1. Dead pedal position and height is too low to rest and to make a switch to clutch pedal.
2. Window in half opened position vibrate a lot.
3. Some strange rattle noises while driving.
4. Above 100 km speed, it wobbles a lot and not confident inspiring.
5. Rear suspension is too soft and in every uneven surface one can feel a bumpy ride.
6. Air condition is not fast enough to cool down.

Point 2 to 5 - not an issue at all in VW Ameo.

Positives:

1. Light steering in city and very easy to drive. No one in family prefers to take ameo for city usage.
2. Good low end torque which is a major plus point compare to ameo petrol.
3. Seating comfort is ok for me and older people in my family says tiago is better.
4. Getting in and out is lot better in tiago compared to ameo.

Maintainence:
I paid 7000 rs for 45000 km maintainence including climate unit clean up. I went SRT tata service in mettupalayam road, coimbatore. My expereince with them is mostly positive with some minor issues.

Wish list:

Change suspension setup with stiffer springs. Perhaps tiago JTP has other springs which may fit tiago as well.

Conclusion: if city driving is the major need then i would definitely choose tiago. It is really fun to drive and to some extent you can compare with mini driving experience as steering response is really good. It climbed the hills as well without any issue with 3 people on board with less luggage.

At the same time, i dont see any major added advantage as well for VW ameo considering the price, maintainance cost and spare costs.

Considering the new arrivals, i would search further as well before final decision. Hope it helps.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:19   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering View Post
1. Dead pedal position and height is too low to rest and to make a switch to clutch pedal.
2. Window in half opened position vibrate a lot.
3. Some strange rattle noises while driving.
4. Above 100 km speed, it wobbles a lot and not confident inspiring.
5. Rear suspension is too soft and in every uneven surface one can feel a bumpy ride.
6. Air condition is not fast enough to cool down.
I have a May 2019 NRG petrol driven for 5500kms and have these comments on the negatives.
1. Did not find the dead padel position uncomfortable. Only the distance between it and clutch could have been a bit more.
2. I am not observing any vibrations. Perhaps they get developed over time?
3. Noises are there but comparable with other cars. Again matter of time?
4. Did not exceed 100kmph yet.
5. All suspensions are found very nice. Rather me and family have started to prefer this car over Ertiga in suspension department on bad roads. Solid confidence boosting and I do not worry much to reduce speed on bad roads.
6. This too is not bad. Again will wait for car to age.

Agree with your conclusion. Very much recommended car for others.

Most Viewed