Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2019, 02:04   #2206
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Taking you for a ride I think.
I have bought 4 cars from Tata dealers and always got full registration done through them.
This is in Bangalore. I dont think the process has changed now
Old 25th March 2019, 03:13   #2207

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
My Tata dealer (I am buying a Tiago) claims that no Tata Dealers assist with registrations and they will handover the car with temporary registration and all the required dovuments. Subsequently, I will have to get the registration done on my own.
Is this the standard process or the dealer is taking me for a ride?
I think the dealer might have some issue/problem with the RTO. We have three Tata's in our family ( four year old Bolt, three year old Tata Zest and 2 year old Tiago). The registration formalities was completed by dealer for all these cars. Recently my friend purchased Nexon and the registration formalities was completed by dealer. This is in Pune though.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd April 2019 at 08:56. Reason: line spacing
Old 25th March 2019, 08:42   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
My Tata dealer (I am buying a Tiago) claims that no Tata Dealers assist with registrations and they will handover the car with temporary registration and all the required dovuments. Subsequently, I will have to get the registration done on my own.
Is this the standard process or the dealer is taking me for a ride?
As long as the dealer has not taken any registration charges, it should be fine.

You can approach the RTO directly or some agent who will do it for you.

Normally, the dealers in big cities do the work so that customers can save time. But in tier 2 and 3 cities, it's a common procedure for car owners to get it done.
Old 2nd April 2019, 20:05   #2209
BHPian

Quick update on my ownership. Completed 50K KMS last week, bought it in July 2016. Its a silver XT Petrol
What I am happy with-
- Superb Ride Quality
- The city mode is very zippy. On the highways, move from ECO to City mode and just press the accelerator and it nips away nicely
- Awesome Music System
- Pretty happy with the ASS, Hartron Gurugram is quite good. Have taken the P2P plan from them
- No breakdowns (Touchwood)
The car has been driven in all kinds of terrains, interior roads of UP. Mountain roads of Himachal and Uttrakhand and the Highways around Delhi/NCR (Chandigarh/Ludhiana and Jaipur)
Happy with the FE delivered, on highways with avg speeds of 90-100 (which is rare) easily returns around 22KMPl
City driving is comfortable once you get used to the ECO mode

Niggles
After the recent upgrade for the music system, the auto tuner for FM fails to catch the frequency. You have to manually switch the FM channels, which is a drag. Showed it at the last service and was informed due to "low signals" the auto tuner is not catching the signals..imagine this was in the heart of Gurugram. Had this been Himachal or on the highway I would have understood. Did not agree with this, however tested the same in other cars which had come for servicing and the same issues was experienced.
Is some one else facing this issue as well?
Any reasons for this and what's the solution? Becomes quite irritating when you have to manually rotate the knob to change channels.

Overall, quite happy with the car.

Last edited by Arkanile : 2nd April 2019 at 20:12.
Arkanile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 08:55   #2210
BANNED

Quote:
This is the situation in Kerala. Dealers will pay road tax, and insurance and deliver vehicle. There will be temp registration done.

If dealer offers full registration, it will be out of way for them. May be, this is due to perceived or real overcharging on registration costs.
Old 3rd April 2019, 19:55   #2211
Senior - BHPian

Dealer may assist in permanent registration if you live in the same town. Dealers usually do not provide this for out of town buyers unless they have a satellite office there.

It's a matter of convenience, more than anything else.
Old 11th April 2019, 10:12   #2212

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar04 View Post
Recently I bought Tiago xe diesel model on January 2019 and covered nearly 1900km. Since the day I bought the car I am getting a peculiar belling sound from the engine. The vehicle was left for diagnosis and was there in the workshop for 5 days. But none of the technicians were able to find the problem, finally told me to come back after covering 2500km to check again. According to them the sound will subside. So this is the quality of Tata engine. Fit and finish is not good. Too much of rattling and squeaking sound. But seating comfort is good.
Recently I bought Tiago xe diesel model (TN37DD2912) on January 2019 and covered nearly 7000Kms till now. Since the day I bought the car I am getting a peculiar belling sound from the engine. The vehicle was left for diagnosis at 1900 Km and was there in the workshop for 5 days. But none of the technicians were able to find the problem, finally told me to come back after covering 2500km to check again. According to them the sound will subside by itself. So this is the quality of Tata engine. Fit and finish is not good. Too much of rattling and squeaking sound. Suspension is a worst part, even for small potholes also it makes a huge Thud sound and the hole dashboard also creates a thud sound.

I took the vehicle back for review at 2600KM and again had my vehicle for 3 days. What they diagonised is nothing. After 3 days they concluded that it is a normal diesel engine sound. I lost hope on these serivice guys and took back the vehicle. The engine sounds like a wornout engine. Now the mileage is also pathetic, trip meter displays 18.5KMPL but tank fill tank gave me only 15.56 KMPL. My Volkswagen Ameo DSG (Automatic) is giving a better mileage of 16.6KMPL in city. The demo car which I drove initially was not having these problems otherwise I wouldn't have gone for TATA brand.

Just FYI, I am not a NEWBIE to Diesel cars, this is my 7th car and I owned Palio, Xylo, Micra, Alto, Celerio, Ameo (Still using) and finally the pathetic Tiago. So I know how a Diesel Engine sounds.

My friend who bought a new Nexon also having the same problem. And one more known person who bought nexon a year back is now facing the same kind of engine problem and non working AC.

Tata is coming out with new cars, but longivity and quality is totally unreliable. It is better to stay away from TATA brand.

Update: Guys from SRT TATA service centre and from TATA came to check my vehicle. After having a test drive, they convinced me that it is GEAR MARCHING sound. In general Gear Marching would create HUMMING sound and not a grinding sound. But sound comes even when clutch was not depressed and in Nuetral. When I checked with local premium workshop they also confirmed that the sound not a Gear Marching Sound. As far as Tiago is concerned, their Engine Design is a Primitive one and Unreliable. And service guys are not up to the mark, even the SRT higher service official and they just bluff. My experience with TATA tells me that It is BETTER to stay away from TATA brand.
sundar04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 11:41   #2213
BHPian

I have a March 2018 Tiago XZA that has covered 6000 kms. We’ve been having several issues related to the audio headunit.

Issue 1
Random issues where the system completely fails to turn ON upon starting the car. Removing the negative terminal of the battery corrects this issue to a certain extent. My wife does not wish to do this very often.

Issue 2
The system fails to pair up with our phones (IPhone 8 & X). If it does connect, it randomly disconnects in the middle of a call.

Issue 3
So a couple of days back, The audio unit did not turn ON for a few days all of a sudden for whatever reason. So my wife did not use the car for those few days.

Issue 4
So today, the Audio unit turned on, but every time the car starts, it boots up in “One hour mode”. Also the parking sensors do not work. The unit does not show the “Vehicle Setup” option in the headunit as well. It’s as if the headunit is completely disconnected from the car.

Issue 5
Apparently the system was displaying the time/date and remained ON throughout the night, so today morning the car did not start.

Mailed about this issue to Tata Motors Customer Care, but have received no reply. Have even attached the videos. A visit to Concorde Motors Mysuru Road yielded no results. So I have been asked to come on Saturday when the Harman guys show up there. Let’s see what they have to say.

In the meanwhile I’ll upload the video.

Note that:-
- there have no been modifications to this unit from our end.
- software was updated by the TASS guys at the 3rd free service.

This ownership experience is going from pleasant to worst. We are literally fed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar04 View Post
And service guys are not up to the mark, even the SRT higher service official and they just bluff. My experience with TATA tells me that It is BETTER to stay away from TATA brand.
We're getting that feeling too. 1 year old, 6000kms and the so-called premium headunit fails. Such is their system, that we don't have access to their wiring schematics as well, atleast I can swap this unit for something more feature-rich and reliable.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 11th April 2019 at 12:23. Reason: as requested
Old 12th April 2019, 10:47   #2214
BHPian

Car keys outside, car locked. Woke up to this. The audio unit is still running. The car won’t start cause it’s drained the battery completely. Have disconnected the battery for now.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-1cd1d08348874effbe3f5b7724ebdec7.jpeg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-e2eff95ac2024be486d838e4384ad366.jpeg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-87d5101862ba43cda887272ed9aabc8e.jpeg
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 13:00   #2215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Car keys outside, car locked. Woke up to this. The audio unit is still running. The car won’t start cause it’s drained the battery completely. Have disconnected the battery for now.

Attachment 1867641

Attachment 1867642

Attachment 1867643
Was it running on the one hour mode? That works even with the key out for 1 hour. If it was not, the head unit must be defective. Ask for a replacement.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 19:48   #2216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Was it running on the one hour mode? That works even with the key out for 1 hour. If it was not, the head unit must be defective. Ask for a replacement.
Ok the unit was working in some sort of standalone mode, it wasn't detecting the car at all. The display remained "ON" throughout the night, it drained the battery completely and we couldn't start it this morning. Finally got my local garage guy to start it and we took it to Mysuru Road Concorde Motors.

So back from Concorde Motors, Mysuru Road. The Harman guys couldn't get the replacement unit to work either, so had to leave the car with them. They were baffled too and had no idea what was going on.

Even the replacement unit did not work. It does not connect to the car's CANBUS system. It does not show "Vehicle setup" as well as the reverse parking sensors. Everytime you turn the car ON, it boots into One Hour mode.

Very annoying. Wasted a whole day without any result.
Old 16th April 2019, 00:04   #2217
BHPian

Got a Tata Tiago for wife as she was complaining of not being able to take the manual Figo (2010, Petrol Titanium) to the shopping malls due to her being fearful of the car sliding down on the Mall ramps up-slope while exiting.

From the decision perspective, went by the review and feedback on Tiago XZA model and got the car home within 1 week of booking it. Team BHP PDI Checklist was quite useful during the delivery process.

After having driven the car for 2 weeks now (I have been doing most of the driving on Tiago so far), I have identified some Pluses and Minuses as below:

+ Fairly spacious for the segment
+ AMT is a boon in the city
+ Great looks, both interior and exterior
+ Good seat height. You almost walk into the driver's seat rather than bending and getting like I have to do in my Civic, almost like mini SUV.
+ Good ground clearance. 170 mm is quite good for a small hatchback and I hope it doesn't scrape most of the unscientifically made speed bumps.
+ Pretty decent audio system (coming from a JVC touchscreen with hertz and jbl speakers supported by Sony amp and jbl sub) - planning to add the amp and sub after 1 year warranty is over to add punch.
+ Steering controls for the audio system are nice to have
+ Decent sized boot
+ Seats are quite comfortable as they are soft (could be a problem in long drive)
+ Quite zippy, good pickup, even in City mode.
+ Reasonably decent ride

- Tata quality - Even though the car looks great, there are many areas of improvement, like, inside door handles flex and make a sound when pulled to close the door.
- AC seems to be a bit noisy and not as effective as Figo which was a chiller
- Faux alloys
- Footrest could have been wider
- In start-stop traffic, especially on a flyover up-slope, engine feels like it's lugging, even though it doesn't stop. This is in city mode.
- On the upslope of a ramp, if you pick up good speed, AMT moves into 2nd gear and then suddenly loses power. For a moment, you feel as if the vehicle will stall. But then AMT comes to its senses, downshifts to 1st gear and carries on as if nothing had happened. Bit unnerving. Maybe, it's the standard AMT behavior and the trick is to go slow on the ramp so that it continues in the 1st gear, and accelerate once you have crossed the ramp.
- Missing Parcel shelf string. Have sourced one from AliExpress. Hope it works.
- Missing underhood insulation (have ordered it from Boodmo)
- Ride felt a little bouncy. This is in comparison with civic and figo and both have more mature ride. Again, may not be a fair comparison.

While the above list may make one feel that I am not happy with the car, that's not the case. As an overall package, it is very good. However, out of the above list, the biggest Minus for me is the lugging feeling in start-stop traffic, especially on a flyover up-slope, and if I can find a solution for that, other remaining (minor) negatives are minor and can be easily lived with.

Request fellow Tiago owners to share their input if they have noticed any of the above Minuses and have found solutions to any of them.

Last edited by civic-dk : 16th April 2019 at 00:08.
civic-dk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 14:32   #2218
BANNED

Quote:
- In start-stop traffic, especially on a flyover up-slope, engine feels like it's lugging, even though it doesn't stop. This is in city mode.
- On the upslope of a ramp, if you pick up good speed, AMT moves into 2nd gear and then suddenly loses power. For a moment, you feel as if the vehicle will stall. But then AMT comes to its senses, downshifts to 1st gear and carries on as if nothing had happened. Bit unnerving. Maybe, it's the standard AMT behavior and the trick is to go slow on the ramp so that it continues in the 1st gear, and accelerate once you have crossed the ramp.

. However, out of the above list, the biggest Minus for me is the lugging feeling in start-stop traffic, especially on a flyover up-slope, and if I can find a solution for that, .
In these situations, move to manual mode of the AMT. There is a M slot somewhere. That way, the gear stays where it is, till you move it with feet off the Accelerator pedal. Much the same way you shift gears in manual cars, but you don't have a clutch pedal to worry about.
Old 16th April 2019, 19:25   #2219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Ok the unit was working in some sort of standalone mode, it wasn't detecting the car at all. The display remained "ON" throughout the night, it drained the battery completely and we couldn't start it this morning. Finally got my local garage guy to start it and we took it to Mysuru Road Concorde Motors.

So back from Concorde Motors, Mysuru Road. The Harman guys couldn't get the replacement unit to work either, so had to leave the car with them. They were baffled too and had no idea what was going on.

Even the replacement unit did not work. It does not connect to the car's CANBUS system. It does not show "Vehicle setup" as well as the reverse parking sensors. Everytime you turn the car ON, it boots into One Hour mode.

Very annoying. Wasted a whole day without any result.
The link from the audio system to the car is the BCU. Since the replacement unit also didn't work and assuming that that was ok, the BCU might be the culprit. Ask the service engineer to run a diagnostic check on that.
Old 17th April 2019, 00:43   #2220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
In these situations, move to manual mode of the AMT. There is a M slot somewhere. That way, the gear stays where it is, till you move it with feet off the Accelerator pedal. Much the same way you shift gears in manual cars, but you don't have a clutch pedal to worry about.
Thanks. Will give the manual mode a try. However, just wondering if there is a software fix for this lugging problem, or is it the inherent nature of AMT which causes this.

One more problem I am facing is to do with high beam lighting. As soon as I shift to high beam, it becomes completely dark. It seems the high beam light is focused too high. Have others faced this issue or is it an isolated issue with my Tiago?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks