Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2018, 14:59   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

My folks are looking to book the Tiago XZA variant. They have been offered free insurance, free standard fitment kit and an exchange bonus of 10k, which brings the on road cost to Rs. 6.75L (Karnataka).

Are there any changes expected on the 2019 models that are worth waiting for ? Also, what are the offers anyone else is aware of that we can push for here ?

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 19th December 2018 at 15:03.
Old 19th December 2018, 15:08   #2147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Are there any changes expected on the 2019 models that are worth waiting for ?
On the contrary, Tiago has been losing features. More specifically, XZ/XZA has also lost some features since the XZ+ has been announced.

Follow this thread and you'll know it is only going downhill.

Quote:
Also, what are the offers anyone else is aware of that we can push for here ?
Push for the 2k Corporate Discount.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 10:13   #2148

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
My folks are looking to book the Tiago XZA variant. They have been offered free insurance, free standard fitment kit and an exchange bonus of 10k, which brings the on road cost to Rs. 6.75L (Karnataka).

Are there any changes expected on the 2019 models that are worth waiting for ? Also, what are the offers anyone else is aware of that we can push for here ?
Ask for waiving the handling charges worth 5-6k.
Old 24th December 2018, 02:46   #2149
Distinguished - BHPian

Was surprised to find this ZICA emblem for sale on Boodmo.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-capture.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 12:48   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Finally fit the underhood insulation on my Tiago XZA.
I too got engine hood insulation added to my mother- in-law's Tiago. Thanks to your detailed post, it was a breeze ordering from boodmo. I ordered the insulation and 15 clips on 19 Dec and package was delivered yesterday.

As for the result of this addition, there isn't noticeable difference in NVH levels during idle. However, it is very prominent when engine is revved past 3000 rpm. The harsh engine note has been damped significantly when revving the engine.

The retail price for this insulation is 645 so I guess the bulk rate to Tata would have been considerably less. By removing this insulation, Tata has saved couple of hundred rupees per car for something that brings significant improvement in NVH levels. If Tata is reading this, I am okay if I am not offered tea/coffee in your showroom but please don't remove important stuff from car.
ksameer1234 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 10:29   #2151
BHPian

My wife has been consistently getting between 13.1 to 13.5 KM/Ltr mileage on my XZA in Chennai traffic. Note that the route she takes is Adambakkam-Mylapore which sees some of the heaviest traffic in Chennai so am happy with the mileage. Once when we took the car to Kancheepuram on the highway, we got around 17.
Old 7th January 2019, 01:16   #2152
BHPian

Completed a week trip in my Close friend's Tiago(March'2016) who lives in Himachal.
What an experience and loved every bit of it. Since I own Baleno, there can be some comparisons between Tiago and Baleno.

Positives:

No Squeaks and Rattles
Odometer reading of Tiago was around 40k and there is not even a single squeak or rattle, considering the car which clocked most on not so well roads of Himachal.
Ride Quality
Next what I noticed was the supple ride quality. It just gobbles up all the potholes with ease which is quite opposite to Baleno. Baleno made me feel all the undulations which I was spoiled by Tiago.
Comfort
Rear seat is not flat like the way it is in Baleno, in fact, I like the cushioning and the way it is bolstered. Though it may not be comfortable for 5 passengers over a long distance. In this case, Baleno rear seat is more spacious but Tiago's rear seat is more comfortable.
Attention To Detail
Some nifty features, like backlit power window buttons, illuminated ignition Key Ring, the sound quality which is way superior to Baleno.
Quality
Paint Quality and Build Quality also scores better than my Baleno.
Mileage
Astonishing mileage figures I must say. On our trip, we got around 19.5 kmpl for around 1200 km we covered in Himachal considering the twisty terrain and low average speeds.

Negatives or Not so good bits

NVH
Yes, undoubtedly it is noisy in comparison to the super silent four-cylinder K12 petrol engine. And in fact, it sounds bit rough when started up and produces some whining sound which my friend will ask the service center to look into. However, everything vanishes the moment it starts rolling.
Gear lever vibrates when the car is idle, which again vanishes when the car starts rolling.
Power delivery
I didn't find much of a difference in comparison to Maruti's K12 engine. You can say a bit weaker low-end compared to Maruti which is not a deal breaker for me, but it makes up for that as you revv it. I was not able to redline it or say revv it hard, due to the twisty and narrow roads I was dealing with but I didn't find the engine lacking in any of the departments. Power delivery was linear and available on tap whenever required.

As per my friend's first-hand experience, I will pen down his thoughts:
He is extremely satisfied, in fact, everyone around in his family bought a Tiago and one of them even bought a Hexa.
Maintenance, believe me, he has not spent a penny until now. He bought the AMC plans at the time of purchase and everything is covered, even changed Wiper blades under the AMC plans, what else do you need.
Since he is a bit sedate driver(Hardly crosses 90 kmph), once extracted mileage of 27 kmpl(Highest) while traveling to Chandigarh from Dharamshala. Normally he gets in between 19 to 24kmpl depending upon the road conditions.
He loves the ECO mode, as per him it just keep the engine alive with minimum fuel consumption and he uses it most often while coming downhill or coasting, which helps him achieve good mileage figures.

Checked out one more Tiago which they bought in Oct'18 and the first thing I noticed is missing rear wheel well cladding which shows how cost-cutting made its way in the current generation of Tiago.

After one week of Drive, I would say Tiago is a well-built car, quality is miles ahead if you consider the price of that car, kind of like Build to Last and Baleno is more value for money product which is like jack of all trades but master of none, they cut corners wherever possible in terms of quality, but make up with their super silent and revv friendly engine and long list of features.

Attaching a few parting shots from the trip.

Beloved Tiago against the mighty mountains
Tata Tiago : Official Review-dsc05165.jpg

On the way to Khajiaar
Tata Tiago : Official Review-dsc05578.jpg

Last edited by Highh5 : 7th January 2019 at 01:22.
Highh5 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 12:40   #2153

Planning to get Art Leather seat covers for my Tiago. Dolphin vs Autoform vs Elegant which one would be the best choice. Budget 5k - 6.5k. Thanks.
AnindyaD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 21:41   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnindyaD View Post
Planning to get Art Leather seat covers for my Tiago. Dolphin vs Autoform vs Elegant which one would be the best choice. Budget 5k - 6.5k. Thanks.
I would suggest go with Elegant, I am using it and trust me one of the best qualities I have seen till date.

I use a seat cover which is half fabric and half art leather, it gives a premium feel inside the car.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 00:01   #2155
Distinguished - BHPian

Tiago facelift has started it's testing rounds. Spotted earlier today by our friendly neighbourhood AutoSpy on the roads in Pune, who observed that apart from the different grille, this test mule also had different design lines under all the camouflage, most notably the foglamp section.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20190117wa0044.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 18th January 2019 at 00:02.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 00:34   #2156
BHPian

Latest Update on Tiago XZA mileage - on my recent trip from Gurgaon to Lucknow and back, it gave me average of 19+ kmpl
Old 6th February 2019, 09:14   #2157
Senior - BHPian

I am checking on Tiago as my next city car for replacement of old Santro (6 years). I checked with sales and found there is a new variant xz+ which has projector headlamps.
Question is are there 4 head lamps in total for this variant? I am seeing two lamps on each side of this car. The outermost is the projector one but the one next to it appears as another headlamp. Could somebody explain this please?
Also the difference between XZ and XZ+ is mainly due to touch screen infotainment system. Are there again 4 headlamps for xz as well or they are just 2 as in standard vehicle?
Another issue is with the spare tyre. I checked with sales and asked if I could get the spare tyre of same size that of others. Answer was no. Has anybody tried this?
Old 6th February 2019, 09:30   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I am checking on Tiago?!!SNIP!!
Yes you are correct there are four lamps - not exactly 4 headlamps. There are two headlamps with two bulbs each. The projectors or outer lamp will be the primary (always on) low beams. The inner bulb will typically be the high beam bulbs. In most cars nowadays both these bulbs will stay on when high beam is engaged.
Actually this setup was also there on my Vista!
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 09:37   #2159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another issue is with the spare tyre. I checked with sales and asked if I could get the spare tyre of same size that of others. Answer was no. Has anybody tried this?
You could always buy a new steel rim (or alloy, at a higher cost) + tyre of the main size and keep as spare. Since the Tiago earlier came with same-size spare, the boot should be able to hold it.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 09:45   #2160
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question is are there 4 head lamps in total for this variant? I am seeing two lamps on each side of this car. The outermost is the projector one but the one next to it appears as another headlamp. Could somebody explain this please?
The Tiago XZ+ has a dual barrel setup wherein you have individual bulbs and housing for the low beam and the high beam. So basically you have 2 headlamps but 4 light sources. The high beam source in almost all cases, is present on the inside part of the headlamp. Dual barrel setup can be of various types-

1. Low beam reflector+ High beam reflector

E.g. Polo, Jetta Trendline and Comfortline, Honda City 4th gen pre-facelift etc.

2. Low beam projector+ High beam reflector

E.g. Tiago, Tigor, Endeavour, Innova Crysta etc.

3. Low beam projector+ High beam projector

I don't know of any such OEM setup, though I am pretty sure that it exists in some car, somewhere in the world. Most of such setups in India are aftermarket. Most of the manufacturers have moved on to Bi-Beam projectors like the ones found on the newer Marutis, Fortuner etc.

Quote:
Are there again 4 headlamps for xz as well or they are just 2 as in standard vehicle?
The Tiago XZ does not come with a dual barrel setup. The same light source and the reflector does the duty for both the high beam and the low beam. So, it only has 2 headlamps .

Last edited by AYP : 6th February 2019 at 09:46.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed