Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2018, 13:40   #1996
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Some misses:

- Steering controls: you can't change tracks. What was achieved by not providing an additional button for this?! There is a button to change volume and source and scan radio stations but not change tracks.
You can change the tracks by moving the SRC button Up/Down. Clicking the button changes the Source and moving it up or down, changes the track. Hope this helps. It works flawlessly on Pen Drives or when connected to phone via Bluetooth. I haven't tried the AUX.
rish_arora is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 18:00   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Picked up a Tiago XZA for the wife last week. ...
Congratulations on your new car! I wish you many years of happy motoring!

Quote:
What I like:
- AMT: the gearbox sure is not true automatic but then, it isn't advertised as such so you know what you're getting into

What I didn't like:

- Lack of "P": I'm not sure why there isn't one but slotting to N while parking will take getting used to.
You say yourself that you knew what you were buying so I don't think that this can be criticised. No other AMT car provides a Park position either.
Quote:
- Lack of the need to press a button while shifting gears: the gear lever movement is butter smooth and once, I accidentally moved it from A to N. I noticed it only because of the beeps. Not sure if it can go to R as well, and the resulting implication
I don't think any automatic car requires a button press to shift gears except for parking position.

Quote:
- Hill-hold: I'm used to this on the EcoSport and it is terrific feature to have
I agree that it is terrific feature but the Tiago does have creep function and in its defence, no car in that price range nor anything for a couple lakhs more has hill hold feature.

Quote:
- Steering controls: you can't change tracks. What was achieved by not providing an additional button for this?! There is a button to change volume and source and scan radio stations but not change tracks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rish_arora View Post
You can change the tracks by moving the SRC button Up/Down. Clicking the button changes the Source and moving it up or down, changes the track. Hope this helps. It works flawlessly on Pen Drives or when connected to phone via Bluetooth. I haven't tried the AUX.
As another member has pointed out already, this feature is available. Perhaps you missed it in the manual.

Quote:
- The setting for intermittent wiper is opposite between the EcoSport and Tiago: the biggest dash on the ES means lowest interval between wiper action while on the Tiago, it means, longest interval
Would you complain about this if you moved from a cheaper car to a more expensive car?
Most of your criticisms seem to be because you are comparing the Tiago to your EcoSport. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, is it?

Quote:
A longer term ownership will be more conclusive on the experience but from little I have driven the Tiago over a week has completely impressed me. Tata deserves a generous pat on their backs for this turnaround.
The little Tiago definitely impresses a lot of people, especially on how mature it feels in many ways.

Anyway, I hope that you and your family enjoy your new Tiago for many years!
Motard_Blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 18:45   #1998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lack of "P": I'm not sure why there isn't one but slotting to N while parking will take getting used to. I always use the hand brake but I'm curious about the impact on the physical gears, especially when parked on inclines, due to this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
You say yourself that you knew what you were buying so I don't think that this can be criticised. No other AMT car provides a Park position either.
The statement "I knew what I was getting into" was more towards the working of the AMT.

The lack of "P", I don't understand. I accept, but I don't understand. That other AMTs don't have it either doesn't make it okay.

Quote:
- Lack of the need to press a button while shifting gears: the gear lever movement is butter smooth and once, I accidentally moved it from A to N. I noticed it only because of the beeps. Not sure if it can go to R as well, and the resulting implication
Quote:
I don't think any automatic car requires a button press to shift gears except for parking position.
No. The gear level of an AT has a tiny button/notch that you press when you want to move D -> N -> R or the other way round.

Quote:
I agree that it is terrific feature but the Tiago does have creep function and in its defence, no car in that price range nor anything for a couple lakhs more has hill hold feature.
Just my opinion that I wish the Tiago had it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rish_arora View Post
Quote:
As another member has pointed out already, this feature is available. Perhaps you missed it in the manual.
Thanks a ton, guys. I had a feeling I had missed finding it, rather than Tata having missed it.

Quote:
- The setting for intermittent wiper is opposite between the EcoSport and Tiago: the biggest dash on the ES means lowest interval between wiper action while on the Tiago, it means, longest interval
Quote:
Would you complain about this if you moved from a cheaper car to a more expensive car?
Well, it is merely an observation. Intuition is supposed to work uniformly so clearly one manufacturer has it the other way around. Whether it is Tata or Ford, doesn't matter to me.

Quote:
Most of your criticisms seem to be because you are comparing the Tiago to your EcoSport. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, is it?
Ouch. I believe I have been pretty objective, in praise and what-I-don't-like, don't you think. It is my opinion so kindly don't take it personally. It is about the car, nor the many owners anyway.

Also, the mention of the 11-lakh EcoSport AT was actually to highlight how a car almost half the price has almost the same equipment. It was in praise of the Tiago, not in critique.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th June 2018 at 18:50.
libranof1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 22:38   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenon View Post

I just hope that I don't have to start an argument with this dealership on behalf of my uncle and contact Tata as well.

Dealing with one car company is bad enough.
Seems the Tata guys have decent customer focus. Did the PDI today and it is a June 2018 manufactured Espresso Brown Tiago XTA.
Made the remaining payment. Total on road cost including Underbody Coating and Reversing Camera (only opted accessories) is 5,77,800. Mats and Mudflaps are free.
Also includes 2 years extended warranty and B2B insurance.

Delivery date is given as 30th June evening.

The odometer shows 21KM which is about right for the transit from the yard to the dealer Service Centre.
Another 12 KM will be added on delivery date.

Note: The power window buttons on XTA are not backlit except the driver's button.

XZ has all buttons backlit.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180627_153520.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180627_153400.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180627_153438.jpg  

nmenon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 16:24   #2000
BHPian

A further query.

As per the Team BHP PDI Checklist and indeed as a token of thanks to the SA at the Tata Showroom we would like to give the SA a gift.

What would be the ideal option to give a small gift?

I'm currently at a loss. Thought of a pen but really who uses a pen in this digital age?
Old 28th June 2018, 16:35   #2001
BHPian

After the monsoon start I have been experiencing some difference in braking. This issue wasn't there before the start of rain. When I try to brake, the braking is not smooth. It just slams hard as if the brake pads are wet and tries to stick to the disk. After 5 or 6 braking events the brake becomes normal. I assume by then the pads or any fluid film between dries out.
A five minutes short parking and drive again the same sticky/slamming brake experience occurs. I told this at second free service but the TASS just answered saying they did not experience any difference. My XZA has done 5kkm and 7 months old.

Is there a leakage of brake fluid onto the pads which creates a film of oil and just vanishes after few braking events. Leaks again when parked?

Could not see any leaky fluid near brake though. Anyone have similar experience?

Regards
UB
Old 28th June 2018, 16:48   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A further query.

As per the Team BHP PDI Checklist and indeed as a token of thanks to the SA at the Tata Showroom we would like to give the SA a gift.

What would be the ideal option to give a small gift?

I'm currently at a loss. Thought of a pen but really who uses a pen in this digital age?
a pen drive may be more useful
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 14:39   #2003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems the Tata guys have decent customer focus. Did the PDI today and it is a June 2018 manufactured Espresso Brown Tiago XTA.
Made the remaining payment. Total on road cost including Underbody Coating and Reversing Camera (only opted accessories) is 5,77,800. Mats and Mudflaps are free.
How much you paid for the Reverse parking Camera and where did they fix it - on the IRVM?
nairrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 22:14   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
How much you paid for the Reverse parking Camera and where did they fix it - on the IRVM?
The reverse camera output is on a screen fixed on the internal rear view mirror and the camera on the bumper.
The cost was Rs. 8000.

That screen also.comes with the ability to play videos etc and Bluetooth though that doesn't really matter since the stereo has Bluetooth and the sound output is excellent.
nmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 22:58   #2005
BHPian

Took delivery of my Uncle's Espresso Brown Tiago XTA Revotron 1.2 today by 6PM.

Everything was well explained and everything was prepared and ready.

The only feeling I got on the first startup was a quick doubt whether it was a diesel or petrol. The sound from the engine makes you think it is a diesel.

This led to us finding the only niggle in the car. I tried to open the fuel lid but it wouldn't budge. The lock was releasing but the spring wasn't pushing the flap open. The showroom guys pried it open gently and found that the spring wasn't aligned properly. The put it in place and tried a dozen times and confirmed it functions.

They've requested me to take it to the Service Centre when time permits and the technicians will replace the spring in 5 minutes.

Otherwise I must say the whole buying experience from the Tata dealership was quite good (Tata Malayalam Motors, Aluva). Their communication and timeliness, especially when compared to my experience with the first Ford Dealership, really is a lesson in customer focus.

My other observations regarding the XTA Tiago are

1. The creep is quite eager and the car almost leaps forward.
2. It is quite powerful (maybe since I've been driving a Nano and Alto earlier both of which have half the power )
3. The power window switches are not illuminated except the driver's switch.
4. The cabin light is white LED and in the centre of the cabin. Makes the area above the IRVM feel bare but illuminates the cabin well.
5. Steering is light (not Hyundai light) and strangely feels less eager to return to centre compared to the Nano XTA I'm currently driving.
6. The stereo is awesome (I'll even admit it sounds way better than the Pioneer HU+ Blaupunkt speakers combo I had in my old Alto).

Overall this was a satisfying experience.

If Tata can continue a similar level in ASS I'd be compelled to consider a Tata for any next purchase I make and definitely recommend Tata (especially this dealer).

Unable to attach pictures from mobile. Will upload later.

Last edited by nmenon : 30th June 2018 at 23:01. Reason: Proofing.
nmenon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 11:48   #2006
BHPian

Adding a few pictures.

Sorry for the quality, these were taken after dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180630_185832__01.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180630_185843.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180630_185854__01.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180630_185923.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180630_185938.jpg  

nmenon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 13:33   #2007
BHPian

I looked a lot but couldn't find a switch for boot lamp in tiago. I also tested that boot lamp was on even when boot door was latched. Any pointers to this issue.
Thanks!
Old 4th July 2018, 13:39   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
I looked a lot but couldn't find a switch for boot lamp in tiago. I also tested that boot lamp was on even when boot door was latched. Any pointers to this issue.
Thanks!
There is no switch. Sit in your car. Remove parcel tray. Close all 4 doors. And ask someone to then open and close the boot. Wait for 5 seconds. Lamp should switch off. If not, repeat the same process and lock the car with remote. It must switch off. If not, then must be reported as a complaint.
Old 31st July 2018, 21:28   #2009
BHPian

Need urgent help from Tiago owners. My 13 month, 13K Kms run tiago has developed a small niggle.

1. The front passenger seat belt is jammed. Anyone facing this issue ? How to get this fixed ? Any DIY ?

2. I have trouble slotting the car into gear, reverse especially. I just cant slot it. The third and final free service was done just last month.
Old 2nd August 2018, 01:05   #2010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Need urgent help from Tiago owners. My 13 month, 13K Kms run tiago has developed a small niggle.

1. The front passenger seat belt is jammed. Anyone facing this issue ? How to get this fixed ? Any DIY ?

2. I have trouble slotting the car into gear, reverse especially. I just cant slot it. The third and final free service was done just last month.
The front seat belt doesn't stretch out when pulled? You might want to pull it soft & not quick. If it still doesn't work, please push it back into the socket and pull it out smoothly again. Or try after moving the car a bit.

On reverse gear, please always do after moving the car to the front a bit - works on all cars this way. If you try to slot it as soon as you get in the car, you may experience some difficulty.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks