Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2016, 15:17   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

May be Tata are getting free publicity for their car? That too, world wide !!
Old 29th January 2016, 11:59   #182
BHPian

The virus getting coverage just before the launch is a bad thing. Such things have subtle impact on perception. The mind makes associations unconsciously - a fact which advertisers take full advantage of when they get celebrity endorsements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
What?!!! Is TATA bringing the ZICA (the deadly virus!) to India?
...Tata would need to change its name before launch.
I'd personally prefer if they retained it as Kite at least in response to the developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
I got your point, but seriously the masses don't even get to know or least bothered about the name - then Creta shouldn't have been a success in the first place .

More than the name, the Tata badge is the one which is a deterrent for many others, not withstanding the fact that Tata make some better cars. Perception matters a lot in our Indian market.
Very well said, perception matters a lot. Normally our buyers do not care for senseless names, but anything that reminds of a disease or virus? The badge is already a deterrent for many, they should try to get rid of any more deterrents.

On a positive note, did any BHPians get to see it up close at any dealership?

Last edited by jetti : 29th January 2016 at 12:01.
Old 29th January 2016, 13:25   #183
BANNED

Zika (sometimes spelled Zica) is not a new virus, Tata really should have googled the name before naming their car. Though the virus wasn't known to be this dangerous to unborn children until now.
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 20:03   #184
BHPian

I was at the Prerana Motors, Lalbagh today for the PDI of my Nano GenX XTA. While the finances, Insurance & paper work for the RTO registration was being wrapped, I was intimated that they've received their TD vehicles, both Petrol as well Diesel. When I was offered a test-drive by those good blokes are Prerana, being a bhpian I immediately usurped the opportunity (actually, there is covert motive that dad & I intend to achieve here which is to persuade my emotionally attached mom away from our 11 year & still going-strong work horse, the Santro).

So we went in there - dad took the steering first followed by myself. And boy, we were in for a big surprise - the car drive atypical of any diesel while I kept gaping at the interiors and Fit & Finish, which itself is very unlike TATA (no offence here to all those TATA owners). It was the diesel that I chose to test-drive since team-bhp review too had deemed diesel's driveability over it's petrol counter-part, so didn't bother myself with the petrol variant. I won't re-iterate what has already been told & in a manner much better in every aspect that I can express, in the official review. Sweet-Jesus - that rev-friendly diesel motor mated to that slush 5-speed sure-slotted gearbox in a perfect harmony. Coming from Fiat Punto, I can definitely appreciate the short-thrown & well placed gear stick. Clutch is light & travel is small. Brakes do their jobs pretty well. But the crown jewel as to be the refined engine. When the vehicle was brought in for our test-drive, it was standing still all morning - implying a cold start (if that is the right way to put it). Vibrations, Noise & harshness are very well controlled & once the engine reaches the optimum operating temperature, it settles well. Only fly in ointment, is that super-light EPS. Not sure how well it weighs-up as the car gains momentum - never got that opportunity.

Now for those who know the city, would also know that this particular dealership is located at very busy junction of the city. Not the most ideal place to test drive a car, if you really intend to stretch her legs. But for Zica, this is it's home turf & it does not disappoint on any front. The power delivery is very linear & the gear ratio seems perfectly tuned for city driveability. However, there is no or little turbo-kick that one tends to expect from diesel. Until recently, I drove a 90hp Punto Sports & in terms of turbo kick, Zica doesn't come any where close but then people looking for kicks should be looking elsewhere. This car excels at the characteristics it was designed to cater. And that is in-city driveability.

And did I mention about those body-hugging, well bolstered & supportive bucket seats - boy, I could wriggle my back in it all day. One really needs to experience them - simply outstanding.

TML, if you are listening & I'm sure you are, please price this sensibly & don't instead create a fiasco for yourself. Please don't get greedy unlike Maruti & Hyundai with their recent launches. You've an absolute winner at your side. Price it sensibly, get your ill-famed After Sales to pull up & deliver to your customers well within acceptable timelines. And yes, please get the AMT variant at the earliest. I'm having to go ahead with my Nano purchase simply because there is no AMT nor any signs of it appearing any time soon in Zica.

Now for some drool-pics:

Taking the leash
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160130_132815min.jpg

dad mounting the steed
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160130_132822min.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160130_132906min.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160130_133103min.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160130_133218min.jpg
tabrez is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 20:18   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
So we went in there - dad took the steering first followed by myself. And boy, we were in for a big surprise - the car drive atypical of any diesel while I kept gaping at the interiors and Fit & Finish, which itself is very unlike TATA
Can you please connect about the space in the b back. Will it be sufficient for three?

Girish
Old 30th January 2016, 20:28   #186
BHPian

Quote:
I was at the Prerana Motors, Lalbagh today for the PDI of my Nano GenX XTA.
First of all, congrats on your new steed - Nano, Good choice I must say.

Quote:
So we went in there - dad took the steering first followed by myself. And boy, we were in for a big surprise - the car drive atypical of any diesel while I kept gaping at the interiors and Fit & Finish, which itself is very unlike TATA (no offence here to all those TATA owners).
From your post, I could see that TATA has done all the hard work with the car, now the main part - pricing & marketing of the car. Hope they don't mess up this time again with the marketing. With regards to Interior quality, Fit & Finish, TATA has already raised their standards with Zest and good to see that they are maintaining that.

Quote:
Clutch is light & travel is small. Brakes do their jobs pretty well. But the crown jewel as to be the refined engine. When the vehicle was brought in for our test-drive, it was standing still all morning - implying a cold start (if that is the right way to put it). Vibrations, Noise & harshness are very well controlled & once the engine reaches the optimum operating temperature, it settles well.

Now for those who know the city, would also know that this particular dealership is located at very busy junction of the city. Not the most ideal place to test drive a car, if you really intend to stretch her legs. But for Zica, this is it's home turf & it does not disappoint on any front. The power delivery is very linear & the gear ratio seems perfectly tuned for city driveability.
Looks like Zica fit in perfect for the requirements of a city car.

Quote:
Only fly in ointment, is that super-light EPS. Not sure how well it weighs-up as the car gains momentum - never got that opportunity.
This again might have been targeted at the Urban population who loves light steering for easy maneuverability within the city.

Finally, looks like TATA have a winner in their hands - but have to wait & see how they are going to manage this.

BTW, the pics of the car really looks cool in the silver color.
Old 30th January 2016, 20:31   #187
BHPian

What do you say for these guys?

http://www.business-standard.com/art...3000586_1.html

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2016 at 07:25. Reason: Correcting link
Old 30th January 2016, 20:51   #188
BHPian

Quote:
It was the diesel that I chose to test-drive
What about the AC performance in diesel unit?
Old 30th January 2016, 21:28   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Can you please connect about the space in the b back. Will it be sufficient for three?

Girish
hello Girish,
at the center of rear bench there is a slight protusion, the similar kind you would notice in case of an arm-rest but barring that, for occupants with medium built & towering easily upto 5ft 8" or less, it should easily accommodate 3 people. Speaking of the leg-room, the sales exec was 5ft 10" & seat was pushed to the furthest, I (short 5ft 6", slim built) still had about 3"-4" worth of knee space, when seated behind him. Now my father is about 5ft 7" with heavy build & prefers to stay close to steering (for reasons best known to him). Behind him, I had ample space to easily stretch my legs. The transmission hump though, is pretty pronounced & there is no escaping from that.

Hope this gives you a fair idea.
tabrez is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 21:39   #190
BHPian

Nice review, tabrez!
One of the pics shows Eco button on the centre console, so long that i'm not sighting it that way. Since you mentioned you drove a diesel variant, curious about the existance of that button. Please revert if you recollect noticing this button yourself too.
Old 30th January 2016, 21:46   #191
Senior - BHPian

Khatron ke Khiladi - sponsored by ZICA - shot in Argentina - the country of Messi - the brand ambassador of ZICA.

Incidentally Zika is very big in South America
Old 30th January 2016, 21:54   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponbaarathi View Post
What about the AC performance in diesel unit?
hello Ponbaarathi,
I had the A/C turned-on for the most part of the test-drive & blower speed was set at 1. I found it to be pretty effective & mind you, it was a hot day today in Bangalore & my TD was around 12:30-1:00 PM. It does take a slight toll on the acceleration, though but most of us shouldn't find it very niggling.

hello Kamath
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Nice review, tabrez!
Thank You - glad you found it worth-while

Quote:
One of the pics shows Eco button on the centre console, so long that i'm not sighting it that way.
Ever since the time I wrote this review, I've been having these thoughts that I forgot something very useful that I wanted to mention. Thanks for bringing this up. I distinctly remember the "ECO" mode button in the variant I drove today. The system boots with "CITY" map & you need to explicitly choose the "ECO" on-the-fly. You would really love the free-revving diesel engine in the default map with respectable FE, to the extent that you wouldn't want to mess with that. "ECO" takes a toll on the driveability & A/C effectiveness in favor of FE.

Quote:
Since you mentioned you drove a diesel variant, curious about the existance of that button. Please revert if you recollect noticing this button yourself too.
In fact, one of the close-ups I took was to remind myself of the changeable drive MAPS but somehow, when I sat down to pen this review, I got drifted over the driveability aspects of the engine.

Other useful bits I noticed was that the key-fob was longer than usual, with 3 buttons & 1 red colored LED. Ample cubby holes through-out the cabin. LCD panel on the center console has good visibility even under bright sun. 2 Analog meters accompanied with a small digital lcd display form the driver information display system. Dead pedal is next to non-existing. I found the "A" pillars to be slightly intrusive while negotiating tight turns.

(sorry for the overwhelming answer to your rather simple question)

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 1st February 2016 at 02:59. Reason: Please use the edit button instead of creating back-to-back posts within a short interval.
tabrez is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 14:10   #193
BHPian

Zica - In news for the wrong reason.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-zica.jpg

The Tata Zica is scheduled to be shown to the public at the Auto Expo vehicle exposition in New Delhi in the first week of February just as fears about the mosquito-borne Zika virus grow around the world. More than 20 countries have been affected by the virus.

Tata picked the name months ago using the first letters of “zippy” and “car.”

Tata, the parent company of Jaguar Land Rover Automotive PLC, is hoping the car will stimulate sales of Tata cars in India. Tata developed the Zica as the first of a new line of peppy passenger vehicles it hopes to use to claw back market share.

As more stories about the outbreak of the Zika virus and the disfiguring birth defects it can cause grabbed attention recently, it was too late to change the car’s name, said a Tata Motors spokeswoman.

“At this moment, there is no plan to change the name” before the auto show, the spokeswoman said. “We are watching the situation.”

The car’s name drew the wrong kind of attention on social media however.

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2...wrong-reasons/
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 16:47   #194
BHPian

Just bad luck. This doesn't make me as uneasy as the media hailing the 'lakhtakia' nano though.

It would be interesting how the marketing department handles this.

Or they're handling it already by delaying the launch......?????
Old 1st February 2016, 23:35   #195
BHPian

Tata Zica website is live.
Visit http://madeofgreat.tatamotors.com/zica/
Ponbaarathi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks