Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2017, 11:31   #1816
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Just wanted to check if retro-fitting a CNG kit on XTA or XZA is a good idea or not?
I know it would void the warranty.
But wanted check if anyone has done this experiment and how this new engine can handle the gas.
I remember seeing one Tiago, manual one, on CNG station standing in the queue hence the question.
Old 28th December 2017, 12:42   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Yes, I did. They said the instructions came from above (Tata's CRM department) to provide the insulation hood & boot lamp FOC to me.

In the end, it all comes down to how your dealership values your relationship with them. For me, being a good friend of the owner of my dealership helped immensely. He was very pro-active in this regard. Also, since the sales from my dealership have been on a steady rise in recent months (good number of Hexas, Nexons & Zests, despite being a Tier-III city in the middle of nowhere), Tata might be paying extra attention to his dealership's customers, specially when he himself got involved in my complaint.
When I did an assessment of customer service practices across manufacturers during my mba, I found out that for tata dealerships, there is a field for priority customers, which are monitored closely, and the dealership will do everything to keep them happy. The rest are expected to fend for themselves. The folks I asked had no clue how these customers got selected, but only knew that they had to be kept happy at any cost. Perhaps this explains the inconsistency people are facing in the treatment they are receiving at dealerships, and the inconsistency in tata ownership experiences in general across team bhp.

Are you sure the directions were from Tata's crm department, and not the dealership crm? Because I've never seen tata crms making their dealerships do anything. My experience has been that they forward the mail to the dealer, provide moral support and tips to handle the dealer to you on the phone, but not get involved directly. One of them even went on to tell me off the record that he would rather not get involved directly as things are "complicated"

Last edited by greenhorn : 28th December 2017 at 12:46.
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 17:02   #1818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
for tata dealerships, there is a field for priority customers, which are monitored closely, and the dealership will do everything to keep them happy. The rest are expected to fend for themselves. The folks I asked had no clue how these customers got selected, but only knew that they had to be kept happy at any cost.
Why would there be such "favouritism" (for lack of a better word) towards particular customers?

In my case, I am sure that being good friends of the dealership owner, whose retail sales have been on a high in recent times, helped me out.

Quote:
Are you sure the directions were from Tata's crm department, and not the dealership crm?
Yes. The workshop manager was quite specific in pointing out that they had direct instructions from Tata's regional CRM head, who had also called me up to enquire if I had received calls from the dealership regarding the availability of the deleted features.

Quote:
Because I've never seen tata crms making their dealerships do anything. My experience has been that they forward the mail to the dealer, provide moral support and tips to handle the dealer to you on the phone, but not get involved directly. One of them even went on to tell me off the record that he would rather not get involved directly as things are "complicated"
Nope.

This guy told me that he was calling from Tata's regional office and that he was responding to my tweeted complaint, gave me a really patient hearing and understood exactly why I was griping about them, and told me that he was going to call my dealership and tell them to make the deleted features available to me as soon as possible. The spare wheel and the parcel tray strings issues can't be solved, he regretted, but I will definitely get the insulation hood and the boot lamp. He also promised that he would forward the feedback received from me, regarding the smaller R13 spare wheel as compared to the normal R14 wheels of the Tiago. This was about 3 weeks back.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th December 2017 at 17:03.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 22:00   #1819
BHPian

The Tiago Wizz is silently stepping into dealerships
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20171228_121302.jpg  

dkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 17:41   #1820
BHPian

Warranty Repairs & ASS

Much has been said about the quality of Tata Motors after sales service agents. I had written about my experience of warranty repairs in more detail in the long term and ownership review of my Tiago XZ. I am reproducing a part of this that is relevant here.

Firstly, the car had a problem with the Bosch throttle body. The car would start, idle but take no accelerator input. Eventually the throttle body was replaced on the 3rd time it faced a similar problem.

It took about 10 days for the entire episode. The offending part was replaced and the car was tested extensively - so I am told. When asked as to how they were confident that the throttle assembly was the part that caused the problem this is what I was told. They had done extensive checking on the computer and found that the problem emanated from the throttle assembly. Then they took out the part from another Tiago - demo car - which was lying at the workshop and the problem was solved.

Strangely, I find that the car is running smoother with less noise and vibration. I had a problem with early morning starts even in summer - the car used to miss when I changed to second gear irrespective of whether I accelerated or not. All this seems to have disappeared. Let me do some more extensive testing to confirm all this. I also need to check with the Workshop if they updated the ECU management software. Anyway I will get to the bottom of all this and report it here.

One other issue I faced when the car was first taken to the workshop for warranty repair. The service agent who told me that the problem was caused by carbon deposit in the throttle body and that they had to clean it. Following the cleaning the defect according to him was resolved. He then demanded Rs 850 as their labour charge for cleaning the throttle body. I was indignant and told him that was rubbish and if such a thing was done it is part of warranty repair. Now I suspect that he was probably just told by the workshop to charge me something and so he attempted to cover up the real job he did which was just to reset the engine management software or load it afresh. The carbon cleaning was just a way to filch money. This is the problem with all dealers and all workshops - whether it is Honda or Hyundai or Tata. Let's not blame Tata service agencies alone. I remember a friend of mine was getting his 3rd free service for Honda City iVtec recently and I overheard his conversation with the service advisor that the cost would be around Rs 11000. I told him to ask the person to repeat what all he was going to do and I was shocked at the nonsense he spouted. I got him to remove all the surplus not needed items and the cost came down to Rs 4000. The same happened to me with my Santro - so Hyundai is not better.

I think that the earning of these workshops with the new age engines and cars is very poor. Engine oil is replaced once in 7500 or 15000 km. Hence, there is pressure to get all sorts of extra work done. This has spoilt the entire culture of After Sales Services for most marques.
ashokabs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 09:15   #1821
BHPian

Cross-posting my post from "I booked my car" thread

Quote:
My colleague booked a Tiago Petrol recently. Expresso brown colour XZ variant with alloys. Dealer was KHT Motors, Brookfield, Bangalore.
Today we went for PDI at their stockyard. Checked everything with the help of T-BHP PDI checklist.
Everything was fine with the vehicle. ODO stood at 7kms.
Discounts provided: Free 1st year insurance, Free basic accessories (mud flaps & floor mats), Zero Logistic charges, Rs.3000 Corporate discount

Extended warranty bought for Rs.6030 (2 years in addition to 2 years normal warranty)
Mandatory Fastag: Rs.600

Total on-road price Rs.576,633 after all discounts.
Booking amount paid earlier was Rs.10,000. We paid the remaining Rs.566,633 today.

All in all a very good booking experience. My colleague plans to take delivery around 15th January.

Car was manufactured in November 2017.

Tyres were: Bridgestone B250 175/65 R14 with alloy wheels
Spare tyre was 155/80 R13 with steel wheel

(I noticed that some Tiago in the showroom were shod with Goodyear Assurance tyres)

Bonnet insulation, boot lamp and parcel tray strings were missing in our Tiago as well as reported by BHPian RavenAvi earlier.
Hope to order bonnet insulation soon after delivery and install it. Many thanks to RavenAvi's detailed posts on this topic.
Old 31st December 2017, 11:21   #1822
YDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Hello RavenAvi, How has been your exp with the Tiago in the highways. I am considering to buy one and wasnt sure about the highway capabilities of the car. Am looking at a Diesel one. Can it maintain sustained speeds of about 120/130 without much fuss? Can it do longhauls - say 800-1000kms one way and how comfortable it is.. Any inputs here will help.
Our Tiago Diesel has done 16k kms & 50% of this has been on Yamuna Expressway. My observation is that the car does fine @120kmph but I prefer going @100kmph as Tiago relaxes at the same. In longhauls, I have done ~700kms in 16hrs; everything was good except the seats. I find the seats less comfortable as compared to Ritz.
Old 4th January 2018, 17:38   #1823
BHPian

Got our Tiago XZA petrol on Dec 8th and done with my first free service of 2Kkm in three weeks. Experience with Tata dealer Hanuman Motors in Udupi, Karnataka was impressive. They responded quite well to our demands and the process was smooth. Delivery was on time as what was agreed during the booking. Took extended warranty (2+2 yrs) and Gold AMC.

Untill I write a detailed ownership report here is a quick summary on my experience so far.

Positive observations
-3 Cylinder engine is amazingly responsive to fuel demands. Cruises smoothly between 80kmph~90kmph. Fuel efficiency in eco mode on highway is good.
-AMT is a blessing in city traffic. However, manual mode is what I enjoyed the most while driving on curvy roads having full control on the drive.
-Driver side height adjustable seat is very helpful and caters to drivers of varied sizes.
-Harman Kardon music system is the highlight with 4 + 4 speakers. In some cases I felt the car was not able to handle such great bass response from the speakers and needed better installation on the door. Nevertheless what Tata offers is unmatched to what its competitors offer in same or one range above.
-Seating position is higher than normal hatch which makes ingress/egress easier
-Safety features are abundant on this variant. Dual airbags assisted with ABS+EBD+corner stability+ pretensioner on seat belt. Tried ABS in an isolated area and does its job reasonably well.
-The car does moderate cornering at speeds 70-80kmph fairly well without much body roll. However on sharp cornering there is a bit of body roll but well bolstered front seats together with seat belt manages to hold you in place.
-Follow me home lamp button is integrated in the key fob (Do not need to unlock the car to switch on the lamp). 3 timer option sets the duration of headlights being on.
-Parking sensors in the rear works well along with a small display showing on which side the obstacle is. The sensitivity can be set. What I have observed is that an obstacle within 1 foot from rear bumper and its height less than a foot, sensor refuses to warn due to which there is a high chance that the rear mud flaps are crushed or lower end of the bumper is scraped.
-In AMT the creep function is helpful in traffic however what I missed is the hill hold feature (But I was not expecting this on an AMT)
-Steering mounted audio controls with volume button, scroll button + call pick and disconnect button are integrated well. However the scroll button can only be used to scroll songs and does not function to scroll general settings or phone book in the display.
-Indication on console if the doors are open. Tail gate open is also indicated.
-AC performance is average when the outside temperature is +30°C. But this is imaginable with a 3 cylinder engine.
-Cabin is silent at lower revs. At higher speed the insulation can be improved (Both engine noise and window sealing). As highlighted by fellow bhpians, the car is without an under bonnet cover but I have not driven a tiago with under bonnet cover, therefore I have no comment on comparison. If someone has experience then on this please share.
-Interior is well designed and looks premium. However, cannot say it’s the best in this segment. There are others for example i10 interiors are not bad too.
-Suspension takes the bumps very well.
-LED white light inside the cabin is nice.
-Central locking warns with a horn when trying to lock the car with any door open.
-The Tata ConnectNext app gives the complete car details including owner info and service detail. However even after 4 weeks the system was not able to input extended warranty dates and gold AMC details due to some Tata server problem (this is what the dealer mentioned).
-When windscreen washer is used the wiper activates (This is normal with generally 3 wipes) and to end there is a final wipe after a short delay to remove the remaining soap if any. I was not expecting this in this segment. Very impressive.

Negative comments:
-The electric ORVM are not sturdy. Rattles and shakes on bumpy road (Noise is audible inside with windows closed). Has someone observed this? Or this is a problem just with me?
-Radio signal reception is very poor. I changed the antenna at the dealership but still get that hiss on the speakers. At the same spot the i10 and wagon R catch pretty good signal. Additionally the antenna is a long stick. A shark fin design would look better.
-Cluster warns only driver side seat belt if not worn and not others. Surprising on a car which has dual airbags, I was expecting even passenger seat to get the warning.
-The headlamps on low beam lights the road very well. However, on high beam the road ahead is barely lit (Even with lowest setting) and the beam is projected somewhere in space above the road. Also sides are not well lit with high beam. Informed TASS but they have no idea. They said they adjusted during first service but nothing improved. Anybody experienced this?
-No light in the glove box
-The rear parking sensors did not activate when the infotainment system was off. Nothing showed on display and no beeps. Need to check why. Any experiences from others?
-The fog lamps are of not much use. For me the light intensity looks not more than just a parking light of the higher segment car.
-I miss the door unlock button when the engine is still running. At present need to reach to the lock knob and pull it up to unlock all doors.
-Electric button or button on key fob for the tail gate opening would be helpful. At present the tail gate can be opened from driver position with a lever or with the key on the tailgate.
-The glove box is equipped with an AC vent but barely manages to keep it cool.
-The rear boot cover (Parcel tray) rattles on bumpy road. More felt (There is already a small felt sticker) under the cover is recommended on the seating surface which is plastic.
-The rubber beading on the windows are uneven both at bottom and on sides. Sometimes when windows rolls up the rubber twists itself instead of guiding the glass. Quality of this needs to be improved.
-There is no dedicated floor mat designed for automatic variant. On the driver side the mat does not fit well.

General observation
-AMT in sports mode shifts gear close to 3000 rpm and in eco mode around 2000rpm (very economical in this mode).
-Observed that the cluster (especially the tachometer) for both petrol and diesel is same going up to 8k rpm. Why do they need such high rpm for diesel car?
-No rear AC vents and no Auto climate control.
-As already highlighted by others, no boot light and string for the parcel tray.
-The cluster did not show first service interval on display. The TASS told me that it shows only for 15kkm (Basically the oil change intervals) on the cluster
-Alloy wheel design can be improved. (Actually does not look like an alloy at a glance)
-No light for the vanity mirror on the sunviser
-I love the floating roof on hatchback which Tiago missed to get that from the company. Therefore I did some stickering on the C pillar to get the look just in the rear. B pillar already had the black sticker factory fitted.
-The door handles project more outside compared to the competition cars.
-Windscreen washer was without soap (just water) when delivered.
-Taking Tata insurance was close to INR 5K more than what external insurance agent offered me.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-20180104_074148.jpg

Sticker on the C pillar
Tata Tiago : Official Review-20180104_074427.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-20180104_074524.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-20180104_074632.jpg

-UB

Quote:

The spare wheel and the parcel tray strings issues can't be solved, he regretted, but I will definitely get the insulation hood and the boot lamp. He also promised that he would forward the feedback received from me, regarding the smaller R13 spare wheel as compared to the normal R14 wheels of the Tiago. This was about 3 weeks back.
Hello RavenAvi,
When he said you will get the hood insulation and boot lamp, will that be for a cost or will it be a free fitment for you? In case Tata is giving it to customer who ask then I would also like to fit one. But I have no idea how much improvement will this make to the cabin? Do you have a comparison? is it significant? Outside I do not mind if the engine is loud .

-UB

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th January 2018 at 18:09.
UB_007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 22:28   #1824
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your acquisition of the little Tata warrior, UB_007!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
3 Cylinder engine is amazingly responsive to fuel demands. Cruises smoothly between 80kmph~90kmph. Fuel efficiency in eco mode on highway is good.
Quote:
AMT in sports mode shifts gear close to 3000 rpm and in eco mode around 2000rpm (very economical in this mode).
Have they provided the Eco Mode in your XZA? Our car doesn't have it. Only City & Sport modes are provided. City mode is by default - Sport mode can be activated by pressing a button behind the gear lever on the AMT console.

Quote:
What I have observed is that an obstacle within 1 foot from rear bumper and its height less than a foot, sensor refuses to warn due to which there is a high chance that the rear mud flaps are crushed or lower end of the bumper is scraped.
The sensors take a fraction of a second longer to read obstacles and send the warnings into the system. The trick here is to wait for just that wee bit longer and all's well that ends well.

Quote:
As highlighted by fellow bhpians, the car is without an under bonnet cover but I have not driven a tiago with under bonnet cover, therefore I have no comment on comparison. If someone has experience then on this please share.
The insulation hood is definitely a given. The throaty thrum of the 3-cylinder is reduced and the difference can be felt inside the cabin. On the outside too, there is a slight but perceptible difference.

Quote:
-The electric ORVM are not sturdy. Rattles and shakes on bumpy road (Noise is audible inside with windows closed). Has someone observed this? Or this is a problem just with me?
No rattles from the ORVMs of our Auryn, yet. But maybe it's still too early to call (we are around the 1,700-kms mark on the ODO right now).

Quote:
-Radio signal reception is very poor. I changed the antenna at the dealership but still get that hiss on the speakers.
No such problems with Auryn. Radio signal reception is quite good and the channels are quite clear.

Quote:
-The headlamps on low beam lights the road very well. However, on high beam the road ahead is barely lit (Even with lowest setting) and the beam is projected somewhere in space above the road. Also sides are not well lit with high beam.
High beam illumination from the headlamps is poor. Only option is to upgrade the bulbs or change the headlamp assembly itself.

Many Tiago owners are opting to swap them with the projector setup of the Tigor. They claim it's an easy fit. Haven't checked it out in person yet.

Quote:
The rear parking sensors did not activate when the infotainment system was off. Nothing showed on display and no beeps. Need to check why. Any experiences from others?
Weird. The reversing system in our Auryn works even when the HU is off and the default screen shows the date + time. Get this checked/upgraded.

Quote:
When he said you will get the hood insulation and boot lamp, will that be for a cost or will it be a free fitment for you? In case Tata is giving it to customer who ask then I would also like to fit one. But I have no idea how much improvement will this make to the cabin? Do you have a comparison? is it significant? Outside I do not mind if the engine is loud
Full details in this post (Tata Tiago : Official Review)

1) Free fitment, as instructed by the Tata CRM management to the dealership.

2) Definitely get it fitted if it's available for you. There is marked improvement in NVH levels inside the cabin.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th January 2018 at 22:30.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 23:16   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Small Video from Tata Tiago Owners from Karnataka, who have ultimately got into a lifetime bonding termed as "Friends". I am proud to be owner of this beauty from Tata Motors and part of this Owners group.

A quote by one of the owner:

Quote:
When a material property gives the friends for life and a load of fun filled memories to cherish, it ceases to be a mere material and comes alive as a companion. Watch and support our little effort to bring alive Tiago and our friendship along the way. Cheers
fusionbang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 10:29   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I am proud to be owner of this beauty from Tata Motors and part of this Owners group.
Yes Sunay. I feel most of the people who bought the Tiago are people who are not afraid to believe in their choices.

I am yet to meet an uninteresting Tiago owner.
madhavgpai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 12:00   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
The Tiago Wizz is silently stepping into dealerships
I've already seen lot of them on Pune roads and even on the floors for few dealerships in the month of Nov.
No offense, but I am surprised to see your post.
May I know if I have missed to read anything between the lines that you intended.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:58   #1828
BHPian

Another proud owner of Tiago XZA.. Purchased in September 2017 but took Delivery in November (long story which will post in separate thread)

My car is August 2017 manufactured and has strange omissions.

My spare is a steel wheel but 14 inch full size tyre.
Also has boot lamp.. But under bonnet insulation is missing. Seems tata started deleting these essentials in batches.
Old 5th January 2018, 16:24   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Have they provided the Eco Mode in your XZA? Our car doesn't have it. Only City & Sport modes are provided. City mode is by default - Sport mode can be activated by pressing a button behind the gear lever on the AMT console.

You are right. It is the city mode and not eco mode (was a mistake). What you described is exactly what it is my XZA.

Additionally, based on your leads, I had written yesterday late night to Tata Motors about the missing underhood insulation and boot lamp. This morning I have received a prompt email mentioning they have directed my query to TaMo regional office Karnataka. Waiting for further actions.

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 21:38   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
May I know if I have missed to read anything between the lines that you intended.
Haha. I hadn't spotted the Wizz in Bangalore until now, and saw it in PDI at a Dealership in Mangalore, and hence assumed it had just been launched. Cheers!

Most Viewed