Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 20:03   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Maybe you are right. I do remember though, when i had bought my Safari in 2008, it was advertised as 235/240mm.
Nevertheless, if you notice, in comparison to the Dicor, the intercooler guard sits lower down, that is not really positive when going offroad coupled with the front overhang.

Also, the articulation on the front suspension is much less in comparison to the rear. In the Dicor 4x4, the front suspension was adjustable for ride height. Is it possible to adjust this in the Storme 4x4?

Can you specify the official wading depth also? I think it was 320/ 350 mm in the Dicor, though i do remember taking the Dicor swimming in slightly above 2 ft of water.

Frankly I would never take or advise anyone to go to a hard core off-roading track with a Storme. Low GC. Placement of tank and components like you just stated plus a long wheelbase. All these don't make it a particularly purpose made off-roader.
Regarding water wading depth, in emergencies even I have waded through 1.5 feet of water for a short distance in my Honda Civic. Yes. You read that right. In Pune a lot of under passes have water stagnation during monsoons and I have done it. I'm sure the Storme would better it.
I would never try or advise to cross a deep stream in a Storme. Even though crossing the streams on the way to Leh would be possible easily as its being done by innovas, swift, sx4s to name a few.

The front suspension on the Storme is a coil spring setup whereas on the dicor 4X4 it was a torsion beam suspension. While adjustment can lead to gain of height, it will affect handling to a large extend. As was experienced with our 3.0L 4x4 when the front suspension was overhauled. First the front was adjusted too low which affected steering a lot and then it was adjusted too high which made the ride bumpy. Finally factory specs have it the proper feel and handling it should have.

I would finally add that for me, this would be a vehicle for daily use and for long distance trips with the ability to take me safely to certain places which are hard to get and then get me back safely as well. This would, for me, never be a hard core off-road vehicle.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 6th January 2016 at 20:06.
navpreet318 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 13:56   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
OK, my point is "Bigger beast in traffic is a pain" is more or less a MYTH unless you have a strong parking constraints. Even then, there are few spots I have seen in Bangalore [road or shoulder - whatever you want to call it"], where only Safari kind of vehicle can be parked
Prem.
I second that Prem. I drive my Safari Dicor in some of the densest traffic in Mumbai and I find that I am able to keep pace with all but the nimblest 2 wheeler owners. The reason being that the Safari clears a wide swathe in the traffic in front of it and one can cut in front of anybody without being blocked off with the only exceptions being BEST buses or a BMC garbage truck!

Parking can be painful but 8 inch kerb top parking spaces are dispatched with aplomb. The tow trucks cannot tow a Safari and the cops usually don't mess with Safari owners so one can get some leeway at times.

Expecting my Storme VX 400, 4x2 next week. My old Dicor Ex Harleen will be on OLX this weekend!
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 14:19   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Parking can be painful but 8 inch kerb top parking spaces are dispatched with aplomb. The tow trucks cannot tow a Safari and the cops usually don't mess with Safari owners so one can get some leeway at times.

Expecting my Storme VX 400, 4x2 next week. My old Dicor Ex Harleen will be on OLX this weekend!
Wow ! Bangalore parking patrol vehicles wont tow off. But, will leave the "parking fine" pink slip in such cases

Congratulations on the STORME VX 400 4X2. I am sure, its a natural upgrade and excellent choice of vehicle considering other expensive vehicles around !
Hoping, you would create your review shortly after taking the delivery.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 16:01   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Thanks ACM for the fantastic review !!

You having possessed the previous generation Safari have provided the apt comparative on the refinements that has come along with the Safari Varicor 400 from TATA.

I have always been a fan of this vehicle irrespective of it's dated structure which has been prevailing since the time the vehicle was launched. There is something which draws my attention to the Safari always and I was so looking forward to this one. The refinements as per your review is indeed impressive and makes the New Safari Varicor 400 worth to check in flesh.

Having read your review, I called up K.B. Motors, the closest TATA MOTORS Dealership to my office in Kolkata enquiring about the Safari Varicor 400 4x4. Thereafter, I got a call from the Gentleman from the dealership and am sharing the conversation as under :

The gentleman asked - "Which Car of TATA are you interested to buy Sir ?"

My answer was - "None as of now !! However, I do not mind to have a Test Drive of the TATA SAFARI Varicor 400 4x4 and may be thereafter I could make a decision."

The gentleman answered - "Sir, as of now we do not have the Car with us to provide you with a Test Drive. However, you can book the car by paying the advance; in the meanwhile we will arrange for the car for you to give you the desired Test Drive"

My Answer - "Aisa hota hai kya !!"

The gentleman said - "Sir, let me check with TATA as to how we can arrange a Test Drive for you and I shall get back to you soon"

I have had the opportunity (fortune or misfortune, I am not commenting) to own 3 TATA Cars previously (a decade ago) and what I feel is that the TATA Package is never bad, it is the dealers who play mischief and ruin the worth of the product and the brand. The above conversation just reflects that they have still not mend their ways yet. TATA should filter out such channel partners from their kitty in order to benefit their Brand in the long run.

I am checking with the other dealers who apparently have stock of the Varicor 400 4x4. Keeping fingers crossed !!
AJ- Same with Lexus Motors as well. For the last 2 weeks i had been discussing with 2 showrooms including one you mentioned and both of them mentioned the same thing again and again that test drive will only be possible once booked. Lexus motors also mentioned that the booking advance is refundable and after the car is ordered you the cancel the order.

I have been driving TATA cars for few years now and the product is not at all bad but these customer facing people who TATA have recruited is screwing up the company. I feel its like a government job for them which would stay with them throughout their life without any output.

TATA needs to shake them up and recruit some professional guys who would add some value. Some of the latest introductions to the market from TATA has been really good but see the dismal sales figures and these are mostly due to these inefficient, lethargic and ridiculous customer facing sales people who are not interested to work.

Last edited by A.G.The Rambler : 7th January 2016 at 16:05.
A.G.The Rambler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 19:41   #95
BANNED

Here's a little titbit that might be interesting to a lot of us.

While people in big cities continue to complain the unavailability of the Varicor 400 for a test drive, I was at Jagdalpur on the 2nd of Jan and the local TML dealer there (very impressive facility) had a test drive vehicle ready at the showroom.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 14:03   #96
Senior - BHPian

Any 400 deliveries on Tbhp yet? We will probably get it in Feb as we opted for a January made one. Now we're getting two pearl white 400 4X4s. One for ourselves and one for a very close business associate and friend of my father. I fact back in 2007 they bought the 3.0L together as well. Both pearl white back then as well.
navpreet318 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 15:06   #97
ISO
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
We will probably get it in Feb as we opted for a January made one.
Any particular reason for the Jan batch?
Old 13th January 2016, 16:10   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Nope. No particular reason. Family decision.
Old 13th January 2016, 16:11   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
The Smart Card/ Registration Certificate of the Car shall reflect the Year of Manufacture of the vehicle as 2016. Thus better resale value !!

Moreover, a fresher piece is always more solicited
Old 13th January 2016, 18:03   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Any 400 deliveries on Tbhp yet? We will probably get it in Feb as we opted for a January made one. Now we're getting two pearl white 400 4X4s. One for ourselves and one for a very close business associate and friend of my father. I fact back in 2007 they bought the 3.0L together as well. Both pearl white back then as well.
Desperately waiting for ownership review of 400NM. I thought you would be the first one to end this wait but now I have to be more patient.
I want to do anything and everything for the environment. But owing a Storme is one crime that I am willing to commit, or rather I can't help it. I hope my Green self would not overpower my Storme self before this ban in NCR is over. Your review will give my Storme self some ammo to fight off the Green self.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 19:09   #101
BHPian

Has anyone watched cars that are unveiled at Detroit Auto show. There is this particular concept from Nissan called Titan, looks amazing and butch.

I would love to see Tata to take design clues from this for Safari upgrade.

This looks the meanest machine on road. Would love to see people's face when they get a look at it from there rearview mirror. Wicked

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11601121...al/lowphotos#1
malgudi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 12:49   #102
ISO
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Has anyone watched cars that are unveiled at Detroit Auto show. There is this particular concept from Nissan called Titan, looks amazing and butch.

This looks the meanest machine on road. Would love to see people's face when they get a look at it from there rearview mirror. Wicked

TATA is playing safe. There is a huge fan following for the look/stance of the safari. They don't want to loose market for the safari when others cars are not doing well.

May be they will come up with new fresh SUV but will not touch current Safari.
Old 18th January 2016, 13:43   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post

Really nice. Thanks for sharing. I'd always hoped they'd do a Cadillac Escalade sized 'Super Safari' with a V6 Diesel.

I am travelling on work and wont be able to check whether my Storme 400 is ready for delivery until 27th
Old 18th January 2016, 19:20   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
DRLs are available with dealers. I opted for them for my would be Storme. As far as I remember it was for 6 k.
@Sourabh: All the best for your beast; eagerly waiting for the first pics, do keep us posted with the delivery experience and overall feel. Did you check with the dealer if the DRL installation will involve cutting the bumper; sorry to bring this up again but I didn't get a clear answer earlier? And will the activation be controlled via independent switch or somehow incorporated onto the existing assembly?
Old 18th January 2016, 21:45   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
@Sourabh: All the best for your beast; eagerly waiting for the first pics, do keep us posted with the delivery experience and overall feel.
I was told that DRL installation requires cutting of bumper. It could be wired as always on with ignition or with a seperate switch. I remember them mentioning about a colour matching job as well. I didn't go for it anyway!
BipB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks