Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 13:56   #781
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Reached a small milestone in just less than 3 yrs of owning the beast!

Overall, it has been a satisfactory ownership really. There have been both good times and bad but good ones easily outweigh the bad - all one has to do is to take it out on an open road! Yes the AC is still hardwired, one of the horns has gone temperamental and I can hear new creaks and rattles all over, in these past few months (40k service due soon) but, fact is it still remains the preferred mode of commute, both within the city and home town trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20190324_185627.jpg  

avinash_m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 23:02   #782
BHPian

Guys, need one help.

Since the dashboard will be opened for fixing the AC temp. issue, couldn't resist ordering the Analog dash clock from boodmo. It got delivered today but when I opened it to check the condition, realized that it doesn't come with a wiring harness. The issue is, it looks like it needs a plug type connector, which I really have no clue about how/where to get!? Will the TASS be able to fix this; it is after all a genuine accessory? Attaching pics for reference; requesting experts for some pointers
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20190405_224613.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20190405_224552.jpg  

avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 21:35   #783
BHPian

How are your keys holding up? Both my keys have caved in buttons ...I was managing with an aftermarket sheath but now found a replacement key on Amazon

The service center insisted they need to change the key and the locksets completely for some insane amount .so figured I'll just swap the internal remote myself into a new spare.
Old 7th April 2019, 00:05   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
How are your keys holding up? Both my keys have caved in buttons ...I was managing with an aftermarket sheath but now found a replacement key on Amazon

The service center insisted they need to change the key and the locksets completely for some insane amount .so figured I'll just swap the internal remote myself into a new spare.

Could you post the link for the Amazon replacement. Is it a flippy type key?
Old 7th April 2019, 17:20   #785
BHPian

It's not a flippy. You need to swap the internal remote into the new key and get the key shaft filed from a locksmith

VR Replacement 3 Button Replacement Remote keyshell fit for Tata Safari/Storme/ Aria 3 Button Remote Key (1) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07HJ486QK/..._PtZGjbMNTyHhR

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 7th April 2019 at 17:25.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 08:33   #786
Team-BHP Support

Weird, but Safari's official website shows only 4X4 variants in all trims. https://safari.tatamotors.com/price
Old 9th April 2019, 10:42   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Weird, but Safari's official website shows only 4X4 variants in all trims. https://safari.tatamotors.com/price
In that case, buying LX variant and getting it remapped to 420NM makes a lot of sense. But in all probability TATA goofed up here on the information provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Guys, need one help.

Since the dashboard will be opened for fixing the AC temp. issue, couldn't resist ordering the Analog dash clock from boodmo. It got delivered today but when I opened it to check the condition, realized that it doesn't come with a wiring harness. The issue is, it looks like it needs a plug type connector, which I really have no clue about how/where to get!? Will the TASS be able to fix this; it is after all a genuine accessory? Attaching pics for reference; requesting experts for some pointers
New Storme does not have any provision for the clock as per Concorde Motors in Delhi. Last I checked with them was November 2016. Please let us know if you find a way out.

Last edited by navin : 9th April 2019 at 15:00.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 21:42   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
New Storme does not have any provision for the clock as per Concorde Motors in Delhi. Last I checked with them was November 2016. Please let us know if you find a way out.
Thanks Sourabh. However, I recalled this discussion on another thread and found fellow BHPian Ferruccio was able to do it @ Concorde Prabhadevi Mumbai; found this post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post3942998 (2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review)

This was back in Mar 2016, which is quite close to when I got mine. I've PMed him already for a possible SA contact from Concorde Mumbai, to may be get some inputs on how the harness can be made, yet to hear from him though. Meanwhile, will head to the TASS this weekend to place the order for the AC components, will check with them and revert.
Old 9th April 2019, 23:00   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. I've PMed him already for a possible SA contact from Concorde Mumbai, to may be get some inputs on how the harness can be made, yet to hear from him though. Meanwhile, will head to the TASS this weekend to place the order for the AC components, will check with them and revert.
I sent him a message too but did not get any response. Will wait for your update.
Old 9th April 2019, 23:42   #790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I think they goofed up big time, look at the last 2 models. What's the difference? What does one get for the extra 1.6 lakhs?

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-safaristorme.png
Old 10th April 2019, 06:15   #791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I think they goofed up big time, look at the last 2 models. What's the difference? What does one get for the extra 1.6 lakhs?
Actually, the other way round. The model listed at the 1.6L extra is the correct listing. The mistake there is - the other 3 models are all 4x2, but listed there as 4x4
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 12:11   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I sent him a message too but did not get any response. Will wait for your update.
UPDATE:

Looks like I'll be stuck with a brand new analogue clock, because it can't be fixed in my Storme.

What you'd been informed by ur Delhi dealer is precisely what I was told by my TASS too, the requisite wiring harness, needed for the clock, isn't there in this version. The only possibility now is a 'jugaad', which the TASS folks don't seem to be keen on.

Haven't seen a response from bhpian Ferrucccio either, will keep exploring and revert in case of any breakthrough.
avinash_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 15:04   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

Looks like I'll be stuck with a brand new analogue clock, because it can't be fixed in my Storme.

What you'd been informed by ur Delhi dealer is precisely what I was told by my TASS too, the requisite wiring harness, needed for the clock, isn't there in this version. The only possibility now is a 'jugaad', which the TASS folks don't seem to be keen on.

Haven't seen a response from bhpian Ferrucccio either, will keep exploring and revert in case of any breakthrough.
Well since you have it then why not experiment?
It's a regular clock. Needs power to run. Has wires sticking out of it. See if it runs via a small battery. Try different small batteries.

If you succeed then install it along with the battery. And voila.
navpreet318 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:50   #794
BHPian

Hey guys,
i have a query, has someone been successful in installing led bulbs in low beam in their headlights? i got the parking light bulbs and the high beam h7's replaced with led's but i am facing two problems with the low beam projector, one is the pin which hold the led bulb secure in it;s place, it is too small for the circumference of the led bulb mount, i can overcome that by using a little bit of silicone and directly gluing the mount to the projector, every time the bulb fuses, just change the bulb and leave the mount as it is, second problem and this is a big one that the led bulb is quite a bit bigger in size so it protrudes out a little and it hits the plastic casing, now the only way to overcome that is to use an ultra compact fanless led bulb which i am unable to find or to cut the casing a bit, so what do you guys suggest? p.s. car in question is 2.2 storme varicor 400 vx 2wd
Old 13th June 2019, 12:56   #795
BHPian

UPDATE:

Caution: This may sound more like a rant!

My car has been at the local TASS for the past 12 days now, actual work done was probably for just a day! Of, course Ramzaan week kind of contributed to it, by way of electrcians taking their vacations, but the fact is they are just not able to figure out what's wrong with my car's AC!?
For the un-initiated, the AC temperature change in my car has always played traunt, as it starts blowing hot air continously, if one tries changing the temperature.
The 'actuator' (which supposedly controls the temperature change by regulating the coolant flow) theory, claimed to be the culprit, has now fallen flat on it's face as even after changing it, it has failed to make any difference. Btw, I also caught their lie, in which they'd claimed to change it 2 yrs back when I'd first reported the problem; there's no mention of any such part in any of the historical service invoices. My bad, that I believed them in the earlier instance and did not thoroughly check the invoice or if it was indeed fixed
One reason I could not catch it at the time was also because of my failure to reproduce the issue, and check if it'd indeed been fixed. After numerous trial and error, I am now certain that this happens only when the car is at it's operating temperature, temp needle in the middle (for my car). Had to spend 2-3 hours separately with my mech, driving around in the hot sun, with a blowing hot AC, just to make him understand the issue. Thankfully, I was able to corroborate this with another car (V400) which had come in for clutch work. We started it, let it reach it's operating temp and then
fiddled with the temp knob; it was working as expected. I took videos of both this car and mine, wherein we were capturing the temperature changes on a portable thermometer, for proof.

Problem aside, the sheer cavalier attitude of the TASS has left a real bad taste in my mouth now. Firstly, while I understand that the main electrcians was away for holiday, even after he's back, he's started working on other cars, most of which have come in for their regular service. How difficult is it to understand that a car/issue which isn't resolved yet, takes priority over ones which have come in later!?
Secondly, have the basic courtesy to update the customer timely. They just chose not to, because they didn't have any update. In which case, why not escalate to TATA, and get a direction from them, as to how should they be taking up the problem - nothing of the sort was done! In this period, the dashboard has been opened twice - first time to change the actuator and now again, to check some 'parameters' apparently asked by Tata to check up on. As of now, these parameters have been found ok and they're now waiting on further direction from Tata. I've given my piece of mind to the TATA CSM as well, who was incidentally on a visit to the TASS yesterday.

Is there anything else I can do here now!?

EDIT: One thing which I failed to mention and which had caught my eye was the coolant in the reservoir. I'd opened the reservoir cap to have a peep inside and had found it looking almost like water, not the usual green/blue - any connection with the issue here!??

Attaching some pics of the said actuator and the opened dashboard:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20190601_121912.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20190601_121908.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20190601_121845.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20190601_121834.jpg  

Last edited by avinash_m : 13th June 2019 at 12:59. Reason: Additional point
avinash_m is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks