Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2017, 13:52   #646
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post
Hello,

I have a question for Storme owners. There is a sound that has been bothering me for some time now in my beast. I got the same checked last week and asked them to check all the doors and tail gate and also asked them to check the roof mounted AC as I suspected that noise was coming in from there. They opened the grille of the roof mounted AC and inserted some thermocol pieces and told me that all is fixed.

At first it seemed that it has resolved the issue, but 2-3 days later, the noise has started again and I am sure that it is from somewhere behind i.e. either in the middle row or from roof AC.

Wanted to ask if somebody has faced similar issues and if I can get some tips around that? If there is something that I can check on my own, please share that too!

Cheers!
Have you checked the middle row seats? In particular, do you leave the middle row arm rest down? That tends to squeak if no one is actually resting on the arm rest and it is kept in the down position.
Old 19th December 2017, 09:51   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Have you checked the middle row seats? In particular, do you leave the middle row arm rest down? That tends to squeak if no one is actually resting on the arm rest and it is kept in the down position.
I did checked the middle row seat and all looks good there. The middle row arm rest is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
What kind of sound is it? When does it come? Can you post a video of it?
it is a sound that seems to be metal rattling or something like that. I am thinking that there is some noise coming in from the rear roof mounted AC system. It comes when there is even a slightest undulation on the road. I would try and post a video of the same but not sure whether it would be able to capture the same.

Cheers!
Old 19th December 2017, 10:30   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is a sound that seems to be metal rattling or something like that.!
Hi, did you check the metal buckle of the seat belt? Sometimes the belt gets twisted, due to which the buckle gets stuck in an awkward position and keeps on hitting the B pillar when you go over rough roads.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 20th December 2017, 12:40   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

it is a sound that seems to be metal rattling or something like that....................!

Did you check the metal bar where the seat latches upright. That has been a sore issue right from the old safari days. That latch gets worn off and starts making sounds.

Also there can be sounds form the tool kit and jack under the rear seat. See if its properly fastened or not.
Old 20th December 2017, 12:49   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Did you check the metal bar where the seat latches upright. That has been a sore issue right from the old safari days. That latch gets worn off and starts making sounds.

Also there can be sounds form the tool kit and jack under the rear seat. See if its properly fastened or not.
If this is the culprit, a strip of sticking plaster wrapped around the bar usually does the trick.
Old 21st December 2017, 08:48   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi, did you check the metal buckle of the seat belt? Sometimes the belt gets twisted, due to which the buckle gets stuck in an awkward position and keeps on hitting the B pillar when you go over rough roads.

Cheers,
Vikram
I did check the metal buckle of the seat belt and it seems to be in its place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post

I would have to check this and I would do that later today and confirm back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
If this is the culprit, a strip of sticking plaster wrapped around the bar usually does the trick.
Exactly that is what I am also thinking.

Cheers!
Old 23rd December 2017, 08:43   #652
BHPian

Well, a very disappointing and I mean truly disappointing 2nd year service report. Buyers taking your car to Trivandrum Motors, Trivandrum, Kerala - beware !

I am a Tata loyalist and have always brought cars from their stable and kept all of them in pristine condition.

I have a sparingly run(15,000 kms), impeccably maintained 2 year old Tata Safari Storme.

I had given it for 2nd year service at Trivandrum Motors ( Trivandrum, Kerala) before the vacation as I had some travel plans during the Christmas break.

Also i make it a point to change oil every 5000 kms.

I had complained about a hard gear shift ( from 1 to 2nd) and non working windscreen nozzle and heater ( temp regulator) knob for the Safari.

I have a busy schedule and always ask them to pick up the car from my house.

Vehicle was picked up on 16th December and returned a good 4 days later on 20th December night.

Well, after 4 days at their service center,I got a bill of 10,000 rupees ( 3000 for key cutting and pairing - the original key which Trivandrum motors lost, for which unfortunately I don't have documentation- given it for changing the rubber lock/ unlock under warranty as it had cracked)

The following are the list of blatant misconduct by staff at Trivandrum Motors

-Paint chip off on RH front fender ( image attached)- I make sure that there is not a single scratch on my car and this is how I got it back

- Battery protector tray broken and kept on side of engine bay ( pics attached). Now the whole '+' terminal is exposed and I am afraid to drive it for fear of some spark in the electrical circuit escaping into the engine bay

- Fur on the thermal shield on engine hood- looks like some animals are sleeping / roaming around in their service center and at night make the safari their home

- Loose steering column shroud as they had taken it out for pairing key and didn't bother to fit one screw back ( attached image)

As a car enthusiast, I feel really angry that my car is destroyed by a bunch of idiots and charged 10,000 bucks for it.

To add insult to injury, the windshield washer still doesn't spray water properly ( squirts feebly- attached image). They are not bothered to change the nozzle under warranty

- Hard gearshift- Trivandrum motors expert opinion is it is common in all Safaris- i am a subscribed member of team bhp forum and it is a common problem on the safari and it involves replacement of ( see attached link)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-41.html

- AC temp regulator knob not working- they called me to give permission to disassemble the whole dashboard !

I said no - again this is a common problem on Safari that involves replacement of the regulator switch unit - see team bhp link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...00-nm-4x4.html

I am now really concerned as this is the only dealer in Trivandrum and how am i going to get my vehicle serviced in future.

My travel plans are on hold, as I dont want to risk driving around without a battery spark protector.

Maybe it makes sense to hear my family and switch to a hassle free product like Maruti Brezza. If a Tata employee is at the receiving end of such service, I don't know how the others are treated for their service at Trivandrum Motors.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-batter_protector.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-battery_protector_broken.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-bill1.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-bill2.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-exposed_battery.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-fender_paint_chipoff.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-fur_on_enginehood.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-job_card.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-safari.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-steering_shroud_screw_miss.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-windshield_washer.jpg  

Nanolover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 08:54   #653
BHPian

Lessons I learned for being an automobile enthusiat

- Never love your car more than you love yourself- you are bound to end up in depression, anger, vengeance as I am in right now . You love your car more than life itself and get it back raped by ASS, for no fault of the car or you.

- You spend hours typing and blogging on various forums about ASS pathetic service, while they mint money

- If you have a busy life and family commitments, please by all means buy ONLY the following - Maruti, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota. Don't mind products are boring, dull to drive or any of the above. Reliability and service back up is needed most, especially when you don't have time to run around to sort out things AFTER ASS screws it up

- What is the use of filling up from the best petrol bunk, carefully running in your car, ensuring turbo idling rule when you are at the mercy of outside support for getting your car serviced?

I strongly recommend that manufacturers should run BASIC CAR SERVICE CRASH COURSE for car enthusiast so that the basic service can be done by themselves or the owners with the help of trusted/ reputed outside mechanics.

Ah ! the sadness of experiencing the love of your life sanding sad in her garage
Nanolover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 08:57   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
My travel plans are on hold, as I dont want to risk driving around without a battery spark protector.
Feels bad to say the least when the A.S.S becomes an ass with such treatment.

Regarding that cover, it should be ok. There wont be any sparking from the terminal normally. Since it is inside the bonnet, and not opened, so not much risk of anyone touching it even by mistake.

I think you can go ahead with your plans. You can call up the dealer in the city you are going to / going thru and ask for the part. It does not cost much. Though I would want the TASS to replace it free because it broke when with them, but replacing it yourself will give you that peace of mind for your apprehension.
Old 23rd December 2017, 11:19   #655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post

Ah ! the sadness of experiencing the love of your life sanding sad in her garage
If you could please elaborate more, with details, as a BHPian, all I can do is escalate it at various social media platforms and I am sure, few others [BHPians] will do so. Tata usually responds to social media escalations [if they notice]. Your grievance can get a separate thread as well [if required] and Tata will make sure, that your beloved SUV is back to its best.
Old 28th December 2017, 22:36   #656
BHPian

Quote:
I did checked the middle row seat and all looks good there. The middle row arm rest is up.

it is a sound that seems to be metal rattling or something like that. I am thinking that there is some noise coming in from the rear roof mounted AC system. It comes when there is even a slightest undulation on the road. I would try and post a video of the same but not sure whether it would be able to capture the same.

Cheers!
I have had a similar problem. Not sure if it is the same. I got a noise from the roof mounted AC in the middle row, but ONLY after the beast has been parked in the heat for sometime, like an hour or more and also depends on the heat. The sound was not there on a regular morning if I took it out from the covered parking or in the night. No one could figure it out at the TASS but they nevertheless put in some foam padding somewhere in the AC setup at the rear and now the sound isnt there.
Old 29th December 2017, 23:01   #657
BHPian

Noob question but how does one know when the clutch is gone bad on the V400? Reason I ask is since it's got a self adjusting one. Lately, I've observed jerks (in quick succession) when starting from standstill or when really slow, in first?! Am at 23K, with 95% city commute, which is a mix of 50-50 B2B and open flowing traffic.
Old 30th December 2017, 08:28   #658
Senior - BHPian

Your vehicle should start to move cleanly when the clutch is released without any accelerator input. Even on slight incline. There should be no jerks.
Get it checked if it does.

Also get the engine and gearbox mounts checked.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 13:58   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Your vehicle should start to move cleanly when the clutch is released without any accelerator input..
Thanks Navpreet Sir; its definitely not pulling cleanly and jerks, forcing me to slip it to gain momentum. This is majorly felt in first gear and sometimes in second as well when trying to getaway.

Quote:
Also get the engine and gearbox mounts checked.
This is interesting as I'd an issue with the gear lever about 3 months back. I know they brought down the GB to fix it; quoting from that post (few pages back) for reference. But I didn't have this issue after I got it back that time, it's cropped up since about 2-3 weeks now.

Quote:
The gear lever too doesn't have any play; I'd definitely noticed the play over the past 2-3 months, now that I can compare the before and after.
Coming to the problem itself, I still couldn't get a clear picture from the mechanic. What I could gather from what he told me was, the shifter/lever is connected via a yolk/pin mechanism to the gearbox, via an adapter plate. They'd to un-mount the GB, to access this arrangement, and that's when they found that the lever had managed to dislodge itself, from that position, as the pin had failed. Actually, the increased play in the lever, and the consequent difficulty in engaging gears (specially 1st, 2nd and Rev) were already signs of this impending failure; didn't realize it! But I do recall complaining to the SA in the last service about the shifts being hard. They, probably didn't pay attn. and I took it to be one of those 'safari' things.

The main worry still is what caused it?! Neither the SA or mechanic are able to provide any answers; and also admitted that it is the first time (in their exp) they saw this on a Storme. Thing is, I am not even sure if there's something (driving style, city running etc.) which inadvertently contributed to this?! Although, I found people complaining about the inherent shift quality, didn't see that resulting in a failure of this kind anywhere?!

Would really appreciate any inputs from experienced folks please

Attaching a pic of the GB with the (assumed) problem area highlighted for reference; this is a 4X4 GB assembly with the transfer case. For mine, the only difference would be the absence of a transfer case and only the rear drive shaft yolk provision from the rear of the GB.
Old 1st January 2018, 14:59   #660
Senior - BHPian

It's definitely an issue which needs to be taken care of at the workshop. Do get the pressure plate also checked.
At the same time I'd like to reiterate that you should get the mounts checked and if the need be even slightly, get them changed.
The difference is so huge that you'll be amazed! Zero vibrations.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed