Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2017, 13:24   #616
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

I had a Fortuner ( earlier gen) 4X4 MT which I sold off in 2016 after 34k kms on ODO and 2 years of ownership. Key reasons - poor ride quality (esp 2nd row), heavy steering ( had to change my driving style to avoid wrist pain), truck like gear lever and industrial sounding engine.
While we bought a BRV last year which is providing good service, the itch to buy a proper 4X4 always exist. Have TDed the Storme ( 4x2 as no showroom in NCR reportedly has the 4x4 for TD) couple of times. While it scores heavily on ride comfort and better than the fortuner on the other parameters, key question is - does it make sense to buy the ageing Storme in 2017. Is the Hexa AT AWD in sight or should one wait for next Gen Tata Suvs to come in 2018?
Have also TDed xuv, scorpio, mux, v cross and passed all of them. Don't want to spend more than 20 lacs hence not looking at the new Endeavour / Fortuner etc.
Old 11th October 2017, 15:33   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
I had a Fortuner ( earlier gen) 4X4 MT which I sold off in 2016 after 34k kms on ODO and 2 years of ownership. Key reasons - poor ride quality (esp 2nd row), heavy steering ( had to change my driving style to avoid wrist pain), truck like gear lever and industrial sounding engine.
While we bought a BRV last year which is providing good service, the itch to buy a proper 4X4 always exist. Have TDed the Storme ( 4x2 as no showroom in NCR reportedly has the 4x4 for TD) couple of times. While it scores heavily on ride comfort and better than the fortuner on the other parameters, key question is - does it make sense to buy the ageing Storme in 2017. Is the Hexa AT AWD in sight or should one wait for next Gen Tata Suvs to come in 2018?
Have also TDed xuv, scorpio, mux, v cross and passed all of them. Don't want to spend more than 20 lacs hence not looking at the new Endeavour / Fortuner etc.
Apart from ride quality, you will face similar issues in the Storme. In fact, Japanese gearbox will feel better than TATA in terms of feel and quality. Overall, it will not make much sense in going for a Storme after a Fortuner.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 23:42   #618
BHPian

Hello everyone. This is my first post in the forum and to begin with I have a question and also some findings.
I am an avid fan of Storme since its launch and always wanted to get one. I had a similar thought as our fellow member 'FAIAAA' that whether to go for it as it has aged or any face lift is expected in the coming months. I know that 2 new SUV's are coming in later 2018 or early 2019 but they are on different platforms and I am not interested to wait that long.

I have been visiting the dealerships for 2 months now and was happy to see the price cut after GST, but it went in vain after the hike in cess. I have a complete quotation that has been provided to me from SRM motors, Lucknow. There were anomalies between quotation from September month and October month.
1:From October they are charging Rs. 8500 as handling charges that were not there in September.
2:Insurance was Rs. 62729, zero-dep. in September before cess hike but now they are quoting Rs. 70831 for zero-dep that is way high considering the price increase after cess.

The final breakup of on road price of VX 4X2 after discount has been given as:
Ex-showroom - 13,66,818
Insurance zero-dep.- 70,831
RTO - 1,41,182
TCS - 13,600
Handling- 8500
Total- 16,00,931

Discounts-
Insurance- 35,000
Cash- 25,000
Exchange- 10,000
Corporate- 5,000
Handling(on bargain)8,500

Final price- 15,17,431

The discount except handling charges are provided byTATA so the only discount dealer is giving is the handling charge. But, I am getting a feeling that they have increased the insurance premium and handling charges and giving the same amount as discounts that were not there last month. I need suggestions as the insurance is costing only 32K on coverfox, but as the offer from TATA indicates, we have to purchase it from showroom.
Prateek19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 07:16   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
Hello everyone. This is my first post in the forum and to begin with I have a question and also some findings.
I am an avid fan of Storme since its launch and always wanted to get one. I had a similar thought as our fellow member 'FAIAAA' that whether to go for it as it has aged or any face lift is expected in the coming months. I know that 2 new SUV's are coming in later 2018 or early 2019 but they are on different platforms and I am not interested to wait that long.
Not to discourage from owning a Storme, after all buying a Safari is more of a heart decision. However, if you can wait out then wait for better tech. Tata for some mysterious reason doesn't seem to transfer the improvement from Hexa (comfort features) or Tiago to Zest to Safari. I pretty sure that no facelift are around the corner. If you want to spend in that vicinity and willing to stretch a bit more then Hexa makes more sense than Storme. Although on general reliability issues, Tatas have improved significantly so that should not be a concern.

On insurance, no there is no such rule in Universe that you have to buy from showroom. These guys make a huge killing on selling insurance and hence push the customer to buy from showroom. You can get a quote from outside and ask them to match it.
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 07:42   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Tata for some mysterious reason doesn't seem to transfer the improvement from Hexa (comfort features) or Tiago to Zest to Safari.
The learning from Aria went into the Storme - The learning has already been put to use, that;s why the Storme is far better than the Safari. It does not look like the Storme will see further changes, but we can look forward to the newer SUV's that are under development - Q501 & Q502.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 07:42   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am an avid fan of Storme since its launch and always wanted to get one
Good to know you are considering the Storme. Needless to say, in that segment, it is a very capable vehicle. So go for it - no doubt. Having said which, important to bear in mind, possibly other vehicles from TML in the pipeline in this segment from 2018 end to 2019 onwards.

Do you want to consider looking at a 2-3 yr old well maintained used Storme ? If you are ok, consider that because you will get it at an attractive price.

If used car is not an option, just try to bargain a bit more with the dealer and close the deal. Frankly, I won't bother much about the handling charge. At the end of the day, you need to see what is the max discount you can get. How does it matter whether dealer is making his money in ex-showroom or handling charge or insurance ?
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 09:15   #622
BHPian

Quote:
On insurance, no there is no such rule in Universe that you have to buy from showroom. These guys make a huge killing on selling insurance and hence push the customer to buy from showroom. You can get a quote from outside and ask them to match it.
Thanks for the info but the issue is, as Tata is offering upto Rs.72000 discount on Storme this month, the offer is on insurance and other benefits as quoted. I know that they are making huge profits on insurance. But to get the discount benefit I have to take insurance from them. It is a marginal difference of 5k but the thing is, the dealer is not keeping with his words and that's an issue for me.
As per his quotation sheet, it is mentioned that Silver AMC for 3yrs/60k kms costs Rs. 27164. But he verbally told me that this is a Gold AMC. I have searched for the AMC cost but was not able to get the current offering price from TATA. Maybe somebody can help me on this.

Also, I want a suggestion that whether to go for it during festive season or month end as this is already a rush time and maybe the dealer will not entertain each and every query. I am OK with late delivery. I can also wait till Nov.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:17   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone. This is my first post in the forum...
...The final breakup of on road price of VX 4X2 after discount has been given as:
Ex-showroom - 13,66,818
Insurance zero-dep.- 70,831
RTO - 1,41,182
TCS - 13,600
Handling- 8500
Total- 16,00,931

Discounts-
Insurance- 35,000
Cash- 25,000
Exchange- 10,000
Corporate- 5,000
Handling(on bargain)8,500

Final price- 15,17,431

The discount except handling charges are provided byTATA so the only discount dealer is giving is the handling charge. But, I am getting a feeling that they have increased the insurance premium and handling charges and giving the same amount as discounts that were not there last month. I need suggestions as the insurance is costing only 32K on coverfox, but as the offer from TATA indicates, we have to purchase it from showroom.
Hi Prateek,

IMO no dealer can force you to take the insurance from them. But if you see the breakup closely, when they quote 70K for insurance component, they are still giving you 50% discount on it which brings it down to 35K which is roughly close to what you are getting from Coverfox. I would say that it looks ok to get it from dealer itself. Ask them to include the RSA (Road Side Assistance) in the insurance policy.

Have you tried negotiating further on the Cash Discount? You should try hard for increasing the discounts offered to you. Storme is not a fast seller and this is festive time so you could get more benefits.

Handling charges is something which is bit tricky because dealers are very wary of waiving off this component. Luckily I was able to get this waived off. Try hard for this and you might just be lucky.

Additionally, I do not see the AMC component included in this breakup. I would strongly suggest to get the AMC and that would surely give a peace of mind to you in the long run.

Cheers!

Last edited by iabhishekkumar : 13th October 2017 at 11:20. Reason: adding more information from my side!
iabhishekkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 13:26   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post

Additionally, I do not see the AMC component included in this breakup. I would strongly suggest to get the AMC and that would surely give a peace of mind to you in the long run.

Cheers!
Thank you iabhishekkumar. I have mentioned in my earlier post about AMC.

Quote:
As per his quotation sheet, it is mentioned that Silver AMC for 3yrs/60k kms costs Rs. 27164. But he verbally told me that this is a Gold AMC. I have searched for the AMC cost but was not able to get the current offering price from TATA. Maybe somebody can help me on this.

Also, I want a suggestion that whether to go for it during festive season or month end as this is already a rush time and maybe the dealer will not entertain each and every query. I am OK with late delivery. I can also wait till Nov.
Old 13th October 2017, 14:42   #625
Senior - BHPian

Storme is a pretty sorted vehicle. The Q501/ Q502 may take 2 or more years to hit the roads. If you like the Storme, just buy it. It may be low on some of the features/ gizmos but where else can you get a full size SUV for this price. It is mechanically sound, is a very comfortable vehicle, the maintenance cost is reasonable. There is no other competitor for this vehicle. The Hexa is a good vehicle, but these two are pretty different in character. I have had a Storme for over 4 years and have close to 42 K Km on the clock and I am pretty satisfied.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 15:12   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Storme is a pretty sorted vehicle. It is mechanically sound, is a very comfortable vehicle, the maintenance cost is reasonable. .. I have had a Storme for over 4 years and have close to 42 K Km on the clock and I am pretty satisfied.
Two Storme's on TBHP have recently complete the ton a little more than 3 years, and both owners are happy. I myself have done 60k in the 4.5 yrs, and wish I had done more
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 18:26   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Storme is a pretty sorted vehicle. The Q501/ Q502 may take 2 or more years to hit the roads. If you like the Storme, just buy it. It may be low on some of the features/ gizmos but where else can you get a full size SUV for this price. It is mechanically sound, is a very comfortable vehicle, the maintenance cost is reasonable. There is no other competitor for this vehicle. The Hexa is a good vehicle, but these two are pretty different in character. I have had a Storme for over 4 years and have close to 42 K Km on the clock and I am pretty satisfied.
I love the Storme as it is and consider no other vehicle close to it in that budget. I am not a fan of many gizmos like touchscreen, etc. so I am ok with the current stuff. In respect to Hexa, I don't like the seating position compared to Storme, as the latter gives a more commanding view and feels more rugged.

I am happy to hear that you are a satisfied Storme owner and after 4 years of ownership you may have experienced it in and out.

I have made my friend purchase Storme last year in October and he is so satisfied with the ride quality that now he consider no other vehicle in that price bracket as comfortable as Storme. He has done around 65k in 1 year time and the beast is as smooth as new.
Prateek19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 20:03   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Tata for some mysterious reason doesn't seem to transfer the improvement from Hexa (comfort features) or Tiago to Zest to Safari
Apart from the throttle body on the Hexa, the Storme and the Hexa share the same Varicor 400 engine, which should be a rest-assured feeling that technology and support-wise, you still have the current engine
Cheers!
Old 15th October 2017, 10:31   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post
My beast would also be going in for 60K service next month in 36 months of ownership. I would like to check with you details about this service and if possible a split of the bill, which would help me.

I have a silver AMC which should cover most of the expenses. But still wanted to know what was included in the 60K service.

Cheers!
Can you help me regarding the AMC. Which silver AMC do u have and what was the price you paid for it.
What will you suggest between gold/silver AMC? My vehicle will do 10-15k annually.
Old 16th October 2017, 18:37   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Can you help me regarding the AMC. Which silver AMC do u have and what was the price you paid for it.
What will you suggest between gold/silver AMC? My vehicle will do 10-15k annually.
Hello,

I strongly recommend to go for GOLD AMC, it is very useful. My vehicle has clocked 47K in 2.9years now and recently for 45K service, the SA told me only Silver AMC can be opted and helps to cover some of the service costs.

Any day, start with GOLD AMC.
Kams_cars is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks