Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2017, 15:55   #526
BANNED

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
However, it is way too erratic in case of Storme.
This is what needs to looked into.
My scorpio too had a similar behaviour. The vent would dispense cold air of the same temperature till the knob was halfway, and only then switch to warm air at the slightest movement beyond half mark and continue to throw very warm, almost hot air till the end.

But all vents were consistent in their behaviour.
Old 24th January 2017, 16:17   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
My scorpio too had a similar behaviour. The vent would dispense cold air of the same temperature till the knob was halfway, and only then switch to warm air at the slightest movement beyond half mark and continue to throw very warm, almost hot air till the end.

But all vents were consistent in their behaviour.
That's exactly the case with my Storme. That makes TATA and Mahindra the long lost brothers

Anyways, I have learnt to live with it. Now that the winters will be gone in a few days time, the AC works like a charm in summers (touch wood).
Old 26th January 2017, 09:50   #528
BHPian

Quote:
That's exactly the case with my Storme. That makes TATA and Mahindra the long lost brothers

Anyways, I have learnt to live with it. Now that the winters will be gone in a few days time, the AC works like a charm in summers (touch wood).
+1 to the problem, that's what I face too in my storme. Am not ok at letting the TASS guys open up the console to replace or fix anything so leaving it as is. I am in Chennai where at no point do I have to worry about warm air

Drove up to Ooty/Wellington sometime back where I needed it. and with a couple of back and forth twists I was able to make it blow slightly warm air instead of totally warm air.
Old 26th January 2017, 20:18   #529
BHPian

Alright folks, was following the thread and after going through so many detailed posts around the AC issue; I went back to put mine to a thorough test again.

The good part is it still responds to the temp changes, well almost! Sadly, it's still not as instant as I'd expect though. For once, my worst fears came true as it continued blowing hot air when I tried changing from half way (pointer at top) to half cold (pointer at 9'Oclock); it only changed when I yanked it to full cold from that point. But when I repeated the test after 5 mins, it worked thankfully! So really, any temp change in the Storme is a hit or miss! Btw, mine does not have the vents issue that some of you reported; all (front) vents were blowing similar air.

So, even though the Storme AC us a manual unit, Tata has not been able to fix the erratic behavior?! In fact, I'd say it IS a 'digital' AC only; it only understands HOT/COLD, nothing in between!! Jokes apart, I guess I'll live with it for now as summers would be starting soon. I am in no mood to report this again unless it gets worse; the last time they'd opened the dashboard; I found a screw in the door pocket when I went to collect my car; was scared to even ask where it came from!

Another side note; has anyone tried connecting jumper cables to the Storme's battery; to start another car? Would appreciate few pointers from the gurus; I chickened out when we were trying to start our 62 Willys few weeks back as the positive terminal is an integrated fuse box by itself.
Old 26th January 2017, 23:49   #530
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
Drove up to Ooty/Wellington sometime back where I needed it. and with a couple of back and forth twists I was able to make it blow slightly warm air instead of totally warm air.
So it sounds like an issue of the blend door not moving as effectively as it should.
This is why it worked with your repeated attempts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
So really, any temp change in the Storme is a hit or miss! Btw, mine does not have the vents issue that some of you reported; all (front) vents were blowing similar air.

Another side note; has anyone tried connecting jumper cables to the Storme's battery; to start another car? Would appreciate few pointers from the gurus; I chickened out when we were trying to start our 62 Willys few weeks back as the positive terminal is an integrated fuse box by itself.
Here is another example of the blend door functioning ineffectively/erratically then.

The vent inconsistency issue seems specific to some vehicles then.

I have used my friend's Varicor 400's battery to jump start an i20 stuck on the highway. All modern cars have the positive terminal very close to the fuse box but this doesn't have any impact on using the battery to jump start another car/supply power.
Old 27th January 2017, 14:44   #531
Aum
BHPian

mine seems to have same problem just that I have noticed one addition feature(problem). after multiple attempts between hot and cold when I leave it just before(2-3 clicks) before halfway mark it throws less cold air however it starts throwing hot air automatically at time. I need to redo entire procedure gain
Step 1: rotate to full cold
Step2: Rotate back to 2-3 clicks before mid level

keep repeating 1,2 till the time problem is resolved. I would be taking it for first servicing in few weeks, let us hope we find some solution by then.
Old 1st February 2017, 14:30   #532
BHPian

Quote:
I have used my friend's Varicor 400's battery to jump start an i20 stuck on the highway. All modern cars have the positive terminal very close to the fuse box but this doesn't have any impact on using the battery to jump start another car/supply power.
I actually meant to ask which fuse port should I clip the jumper cable to? Should I refer to the fuse box chart and choose the one with the highest amperage? Is there a thumb rule; I am complete noob when it comes to car electricals?! Please enlighten me.
Old 1st February 2017, 14:33   #533
BANNED

Quote:
I actually meant to ask which fuse port should I clip the jumper cable to?
None. Clamp the cables directly to the battery terminals using crocodile clips and start the vehicle.
Old 3rd February 2017, 20:11   #534
BHPian

Quote:
None. Clamp the cables directly to the battery terminals using crocodile clips and start the vehicle.
Sir, attaching few snaps for reference. First is the port in OEM look; the battery positive terminal is not visible with the black plastic cover in place.

The second one is with the cover opened; but as you can see the battery port is completely surrounded; can't use the clips to clamp?! Since the fuse ports/bolts are visible; I thought I could clamp onto one of them but wasn't sure which one?! I'd assumed the one with highest amperage but didn't dare it. Please advice
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20170202_201811308.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20170202_201859625.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2017, 22:29   #535
BANNED

Quote:
The second one is with the cover opened; but as you can see the battery port is completely surrounded; can't use the clips to clamp?!
With the cover opened, the terminal towards the top of the photograph has a thick red wire going out of it at the bottom. That is the +ve terminal while the other one is the -ve.

You need to clamp the clips to the metal plates that these terminals are attached to. I know it looks complex and there is probably not enough space but that is the only way to do it in a jiffy. One place I see from the photographs are the nuts there, one painted in green for the -ve terminal and its corresponding nut.

The other,option is the loosen the plates, disconnecting the batter completely and then using the clamps to clamp directly onto the terminals.

Last edited by n.devdath : 3rd February 2017 at 22:30.
Old 19th April 2017, 20:37   #536
BHPian

Is TATA even serious about selling this vehicle?

See this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4185492

Its competition is making pretty relevant and customer appreciated updates to its flagship continuously, and here we have Tata - who bumps up the torque numbers for its most expensive variant in Dec 2015, and has done nothing since then.
Total apathy and sheer laziness towards this brand.

Agreed, they don't have competence to read its core market sentiment, neither any skills to implement feedback that they have since ages, but is it even mildly difficult to start offering V-400 across range or offer 4x4 as an option on lower variants ?

Given that I am set to get the V-400 shortly, such apathy from the manufacturer really makes me feel silly.

Stupid Tata !!

Last edited by lazy : 19th April 2017 at 20:38. Reason: reworded
lazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 00:57   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Is TATA even serious about selling this vehicle?
IMO, the answer to that question would be an emphatic NO! Simple reason being the HEXA, which is enjoying all the attention now, and for all the right reasons! This engine/tranny combo was anyway an experiment in the Storme, before the Hexa launch. In fact, I won't be surprised if they discontinue the 400 in the Storme now, instead of standardizing that combo across the Storme range.

Few days back I went to my dealership and got a chance to TD the Hexa; the SR confirmed they haven't sold a single Storme since the Hexa launch (at least here in Hyd).
Old 28th April 2017, 14:37   #538
BHPian

Meanwhile the ones who own this car are enjoying it. Even with niggles

Took my Storme on a Bangalore-Delhi-Bangalore trip and loved every minute of the drive. Few irritants were
- Outside smell leaking into cabin
- Boot door child lock not working

Niggles aside, we cruised over good and bad, all kinds of roads in scorching 45 degree north India.

How do other owners' audio systems respond when cranking engine? Mine sometimes shuts off, and sometimes stays on, its kind of random. And it doesn't matter if music is playing or I'm on a call using bluetooth. Sometimes it stays on even if music is playing, and sometimes it turns off even if I'm on a call. But it shuts down more often than staying on.
Old 10th May 2017, 13:59   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
How do other owners' audio systems respond when cranking engine? Mine sometimes shuts off, and sometimes stays on, its kind of random. And it doesn't matter if music is playing or I'm on a call using bluetooth. Sometimes it stays on even if music is playing, and sometimes it turns off even if I'm on a call. But it shuts down more often than staying on.
I have not checked the behavior while cranking but had a strange experience while switching it off. I got a call while parking at home and the call continued via the Bluetooth after I took out the key, which is perfectly normal and as per specs. However, when the call was over, I got out of car and locked it. I got another call while I was moving away from the locked vehicle. I could not hear anything from my phone and realized that there is some noise from inside the car. Hurried back and opened the door and was surprised to see that the call was connected through the system. Now I ensure to switch off my phone's Bluetooth before getting out.
Old 10th May 2017, 14:30   #540
BHPian

Quote:
I got another call while I was moving away from the locked vehicle. I could not hear anything from my phone and realized that there is some noise from inside the car. Hurried back and opened the door and was surprised to see that the call was connected through the system.
This is expected response. Its mentioned in audio system manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks