Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2015, 16:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Enough bashing of duster for being a pseudo suv, it has all the right credentials of being an suv the AWD version can any day do better than a 4x4 safari which can easily get bogged down in slush due to its weight while duster even in 2wd can go places due to its light weight and excellent approach and departure angles and adequate ground clearance

Last edited by GTO : 31st December 2015 at 16:55. Reason: Typo
Old 31st December 2015, 16:48   #32

I had bought the Safari Storme 2015 refreshed version in the month of November, 2015.

I never knew that Tata was planning a Varicor 400 at the time of buying and it was a surprise when I realized it about 3 weeks after buying. I did regret at that moment that I bought it a tad early.

But after having read a few reviews here and also talking to a few Safari groups, I came to know that the 400 engine is available only on the top end model - Which is a bit disappointing.

nevertheless, I'm not happy of my purchase and am enjoying the drive in India's very own SUV.

A Proud owner.

Harinath.
hravicha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 16:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Our test Storme unit had the exact same bit of plastic (near the driver side seat base / height adjuster lever that had come apart just as in this visual. Possibly Tushar may have a snap of that.
This piece had come apart even in the Storme at display at Concorde South EX, Delhi.

However, the only issue that worries me is the tak tak sound from clutch that has been reported by some owners.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 16:51   #34
BHPian

Congratulations on yet another 5 star review that trumps those on all the other websites. IMHO the core proposition for buying a Safari have only been enhanced with the new tweaks.

After getting used to the 'Command seating position' in the driver's seat, the massive all round visibility, the go anywhere capabilities and the rickshaw sweeper stance I am willing to overlook the various little screens, bits and bobs that I hear some people hankering for.

I believe just as certain clothes and hair styles go with a certain personality and lifestyle, the Safari defines a particular type of driver. I feel it suits me like a well fitted, custom tailored suit. If it fits your persona don't think twice.

Out goes the Pearl White Dicor and in comes the Storme VX 400, again Pearl White. Where's the cheque book, I say!
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 16:55   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvardhan View Post
Enough bashing of duster for being a pseudo suv, it has all the right credentials of being an suv
Haha, rightly said. The Duster AWD is surprisingly competent off the road. Nice AWD, zero-lag engine, fantastic ground clearance, smaller size & lighter weight means it'll actually be better in many offroad conditions than the Storme. Of course, there will be situations where the Storme will be superior. My point? Both are competent. No reason to run down the other in terms of offroad-ability. The Duster AWD is a real SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
The same mass [general public] may get mis-guided by the single comparison
The same masses are already cross-shopping between monocoque & body-on-frame SUVs. They won't be surprised nor misguided at the inclusion. Like I said, don't give the comparison sheet anymore importance than it deserves.

Quote:
Yet if we are to glance at the 2015 Storme official review thread, we do see a fair number of niggles. Which relatively speaking one would not find with say the Japs.
Not to forget, our test vehicle also suffered starting issues (TSK has mentioned it in his report). AFAIK, no other test vehicle of ours has had that. The Safari Storme shares a whole lot with the Safari Dicor and there's nothing to say that it's magically more reliable than the old Safari.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 17:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Surprisingly TBHP, NDTV and ACI tested the same Storme for review and all the reviews came out simultaneously. TATA must have saved some money by using one car for promotional shoot and media tests.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 17:23   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would love to see the comparison of STORME v/s FORTUNER. I am sure there are positives being shared and short-comings as well on both the sides.
Coincidentally I did a test drive of the current Fortuner MT 4X4 just a few days prior to spending time with the Storme Varicor 400 4X4

This can be a topic for an entire thread but the key observations are:

1) Fortuner is about 40% more expensive than the Storme VX Varicor 400
2) The Fortuner I drove was at 16,000 kms after about 1.5 years of ownership and it had ZERO rattles and felt like new. (Even more so that the 2600 kms old Test Strome - but it may have been abused by prior users) The Fortuner owner had made only 1 annual visit to the service centre for regular service and had spent on nothing extra.
3) The Fortuner ride was much more bouncy / bumpy compared to that of the Storme which felt very planted relatively.
4) From my perspective one has the option of raising the seat higher in the Storme and sitting in an erect position and also dropping down the Storme seat to a level where one has an almost car like seating position. In the Fortuner one only has a car like seating position which some love and some don't.
5) The Storme Middle row is more comfortable than that of the Fortuner, while the Fortuner Last row is much more comfortable than that of the Storme.
6) Felt one would go upto a higher initial speed in the Fortuner with lesser effort compared to the Varicor 400. It believe this is due to a combination of Engine and confidence (at lower speeds) due to a lower seating position and vehicle height. Felt greater Confidence with the Storme Brakes.
7) Fortuner has much higher rated official water wading capability than the Storme. Wonder why though or rather why TATA does not manage a better official rating for the Storme than even the EcoSport?
8) Dislike the Fortuners tall utility truck / Van like Gear lever. The Storme Grear Lever felt much better and vibrated lesser at idle but the shifts were more rubbery.
9) I liked the Interiors of the Storme more but it misses ACC and other key electronic comfort features. I also prefer if the Dash is higher mounted like in the Fortuner and even better like in the Aria / Hexa. Overall both are at the same level but missing features hurts the Storme.
10) Both Look good in their own way.
11) The Fortuner while costing a lot more initially will hold value a lot better. Final effective cost of ownership will be a complex calculation.

If I were looking for a pure ladder frame SUV and was comfortable with seating at the most 5 persons and would be keeping the vehicle with me for al least 5 years then I would probably go for the Storme between the two presently. But with the arrival of the New Fortuner and the Endeavour this equation is likely to change.

That said the Storme is great value for what it offers.

Last edited by ACM : 31st December 2015 at 17:28.
ACM is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 17:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

I strongly believe that tata needs to brand their cars under a different name. It's the same badge that sits on my close to 20 lakh vehicle as on the rickety smoke belching 407

Heck, even car companies further "sub brand" their vehicles for differentiation, high time tata did the same

People need to start disassociating their products from crude trucks, and perceive them as sophisticated well engineered vehicles that deserve the hefty price tags
Old 31st December 2015, 17:49   #39
BHPian

The varicor 400 TV commercial

Great review ACM and thanks Tushar for the inputs and photos

I second the thought of the reviewers that the other iterations of the Safari can be discontinued, with only 15 - 16K premium, if one gets a superior tune with and additional gear, then why bother?

Quote:
One thing, I dont agree the comparison of STORME with CRETA and DUSTER. Are you by any chance, forced to do this comparison in your chart ?
CRETA and DUSTER are a mockery SUV, I would say. It targets the mass who wants a SUV look to drive away Autorickshaws out of their way !
The trend is changing now, buyers don't decide on the segment, rather they choose segments based on pricing - what they can afford to pay and how much they can stretch especially customers who shop for > 10 lacs. All vehicles compared are in the same price band, though they appeal to different set of customers. As a forum, we share info and knowledge that we have, giving the choice to the members and readers to consider what they need or ignore what they don't.

Quote:
A buyer would generally fix a budget first while buying a vehicle and the Creata and Duster do fall in a similar price bracket. Next one would possibly decide if one is looking for a Sedan or SUV shape, and again these are all SUV shape vehicles. Next one might decide if one is looking for a 5 or 7 seater and so some extent the Strome is practically a 5 seater as the last row seats are just a technicality but are not really usable.

Additional data only helps in reconfirming the decision one arrives at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
'Real SUV' or not, customers will cross-shop between SUVs from the segment. Hence. It also helps in providing a size / price / power perspective.
Precisely

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 31st December 2015 at 17:52.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 18:26   #40
BHPian

I respect all your views and agree, I was wrong in saying DUSTER doesnt have any SUV element. But, definitely not all SUV elements.
In an hindsight, I see that there is an hesitation to compare [OFFICIALLY] any Indian product v/s Japanese counter part.

Talking of service, in my [close to] 6 years of ownership [driven close to 80K], my DICOR hasnt gone to service station other than the "annual" [scheduled] service but for once where I got the service done at my door step. I am sure, Japs or Germs will NOT encourage/entertain such a gesture.

If cost is what we are talking, start comparing every car [sedans and premium hatches] that are in same segment. I dont see this happening any time.
Anyway, this is going no where since we would be shut by the "rules" of this forum at some point of time. So, I rest

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 18:50   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvardhan View Post
Enough bashing of duster for being a pseudo suv, it has all the right credentials of being an suv the AWD version can any day do better than a 4x4 safari which can easily get bogged down in slush due to its weight while duster even in 2wd can go places due to its light weight and excellent approach and departure angles and adequate ground clearance
Isn't more weight on the axle supposed to help with traction?
Old 31st December 2015, 19:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Tata simply needs to update the shell. What % of the layman will understand that the chassis is new if the body shell is almost 2 decades old?
Also, Tata needs to diet a bit.

Tata improves slowly as shown in the Zest.
I'm yet to see a revolutionary product from the Tata stable (like the Mahindra XUV 500.) A product that'll shake up the segment.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 20:53   #43
BHPian

Quote:
The Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 13.26 - 14.60 lakhs (ex-Delhi).
Very good review covering the key elements of the changes in STORME Varicor 400 .

I have couple of questions.

1. You said that the gear lever, pedals and steering wheel vibrate a bit. Is it the road undulations which reflect on these components? Was this issue present in the ARIA as well? I am struggling to understand how a Rs 15 lac vehicle could have such imperfections? TML should eradicate this ASAP

2. I could see in various views expressed by the users of STORME/SAFARI that there is excessive wind noise in the A pillar post 110km/hr. Is this still the case in STORME 400? How's the NVH in the cabin in triple digit speeds?
Old 31st December 2015, 21:27   #44
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
I have couple of questions.

1. You said that the gear lever, pedals and steering wheel vibrate a bit. Is it the road undulations which reflect on these components? Was this issue present in the ARIA as well? I am struggling to understand how a Rs 15 lac vehicle could have such imperfections? TML should eradicate this ASAP

2. I could see in various views expressed by the users of STORME/SAFARI that there is excessive wind noise in the A pillar post 110km/hr. Is this still the case in STORME 400? How's the NVH in the cabin in triple digit speeds?
1. The vibrations are not too heavy, mild but present. They are Engine vibrations and mostly go away on the move and obviously more pronounced in larger Diesels.
They were not present in the ARIA first version 2010 year due to DMF. Dual Mass Flywheel isolates the engine vibrations from the Body, Gearbox, Clutch etc. The DMF has a shorter life than the standard SMF (Read less than half). Later year Aria and all Storme have always used a SMF (Single Mass Flywheel). This results in some vibrations being transfered but is a lot more reliable and also cheaper.

These vibrations are not a deal breaker but it is prudent that we be aware that they exist.

2. I believe all / most official reviews have taken place with the same media car with accessories like door visors and hood scoop fitted. The Door Visors contribute significantly to wind noise around the A pillar. The wind noise without this accessory should be similar to the 2015 refresh Storme - Not as high as reported for the Varicor 400. But we can't be sure till we get to drive a factory condition vehicle. Hope someone checks and reports on this aspect on the thread.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 22:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

It's reported in the Storme thread that the prices are gonna be hiked up by 30k tomorrow (1st Jan) onwards. Link

I find it unfair of them keeping an embargo upto today when they're going to hike prices just tomorrow.

Also, IIRC a friend was getting a cool 50k+ discount for the Storme 320 this November.

This makes the actual difference to atleast 1 lakh!
(50k showroom discount
+20k additional for new version
+30k towards Jan 1st, 2016 hike.)
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks