Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2016, 12:27   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
1. Today, one vehicle from the opposite direction was approaching my SUV. From a distance, the chrome treatment on the grille made me think that it was a Wagon R Stingray approaching, till it came nearer and it turned out to be a Tata Safari! The point is that such an SUV needs to have an aggressive look, especially for our Indian roads to make its presence felt. 2. Tata needs to gear itself up to make its presence felt in the SUV segment.
Dear Anjan-c2007 - hello to you on this thread, which is besides your Landmaster thread (I just love BYJ276, the lady in black, your Landmaster). My reply is as follows:
1. I would rather tend to "agree to disagree" with you on the Stingray, it is the other way round, actually the Stingray looks like a poor clone from far. I too would have preferred a more aggressive look for the Storme, but that's my personal opinion. How much aggressive to go? Too much or too little will not be good @ mainstream. I would rather put it this way, the perfect balance is just the right amount of aggressiveness seen, even when it is standing still! This is the real USP of the Storme. In addition, you always have the three understated "S"s! That's "SMOOTH-SILENT-SURGE" of Power! That's why I love the small size of the VARICOR-400 logos on the sides. You don't have to shout loudly when you can disappear from others' rear view mirrors, faster than you appeared! .
2. Yes, I know. "CUSTOMER-CENTRICITY" is center-stage, period! So, thanks! (by the way, I know that you have "some other vehicle" in your stable, you know what to do, no choice now, I believe?) .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 20:10   #227
BHPian

Just back from a 1300 km trip to coorg, in the new Storme. Really a beast. One has to experience the Storme to know it's capabilities. Ride consisted of national highways, state highways, Ghat roads, Village roads and even no roads at few places. Best experience was on Highways. The power surge that kicks in the 6th gear is magical, especially while over taking. I'm getting addicted to this. Throughout the trip i didn't cross 110kmph. Gears are very smooth now. Even I found out a way to slot in the reverse gear in the first attempt. Overall a memorable experience.

That said, a few niggles I faced-
1) When I release the clutch pedal, I can hear a click sound. Other Storme owners already reported this. Is this normal? This isn't heard when the AC is turned on and windows are closed. But clearly audible with the windows opened.
2) The immobiliser warning and the seat belt warning are malfunctioning. As soon as I slot in the key, even before cranking the engine, the seat belt warning is audible. And as soon as I switch off the vehicle, the immobiliser warning blinks, some times even the audible alarm. Usually the immobiliser should switch on after the key is removed, according to my knowledge.
3) The other 3 members with whom i went to coorg told me that they felt an electric shock when the doors were touched. I didn't remove the plastic covers off the seat. I was thinking those were the reason, causing static shock. I'm planning to remove them tomorrow. Should I check for any other cause?

Any suggestions regarding the above issues?

One thing i can say is that driving the Storme makes me forget all these niggles. So no regrets at all.
doc_zeus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 07:08   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
Just back from a 1300 km trip to coorg, in the new Storme. Really a beast. One has to experience the Storme to know it's capabilities. Ride consisted of national highways, state highways, Ghat roads, Village roads and even no roads at few places. Best experience was on Highways. The power surge that kicks in the 6th gear is magical, especially while over taking. I'm getting addicted to this. Throughout the trip i didn't cross 110kmph. Gears are very smooth now. Even I found out a way to slot in the reverse gear in the first attempt. Overall a memorable experience.

That said, a few niggles I faced-
1) When I release the clutch pedal, I can hear a click sound. Other Storme owners already reported this. Is this normal? This isn't heard when the AC is turned on and windows are closed. But clearly audible with the windows opened.
2) The immobiliser warning and the seat belt warning are malfunctioning. As soon as I slot in the key, even before cranking the engine, the seat belt warning is audible. And as soon as I switch off the vehicle, the immobiliser warning blinks, some times even the audible alarm. Usually the immobiliser should switch on after the key is removed, according to my knowledge.
3) The other 3 members with whom i went to coorg told me that they felt an electric shock when the doors were touched. I didn't remove the plastic covers off the seat. I was thinking those were the reason, causing static shock. I'm planning to remove them tomorrow. Should I check for any other cause?

Any suggestions regarding the above issues?

One thing i can say is that driving the Storme makes me forget all these niggles. So no regrets at all.
Good !
Nothing to be worried off.

1) The same used to happen in my Dicor when it was brand new. I guess, it was the spring or something in pedal that causes this sound. It will go away as you use.

2) Setbelt warning/sound comes as soon as you slot the ignition into the ACC mode if I remember right. Not necessarily to be cranked. So, this is good.

3) The immobiliser should blink only after you lock the car with the remote, not after you take out the key. You may check this out. Doesnt sound like a big problem.

4) Shock should be static only. Not to worry.

Enjoy the Storme ! Its a great vehicle.

Prem.
Old 28th March 2016, 11:06   #229
ISO
BANNED

@Doc_zeus

Except immobilizer other complains can not be called as niggles. However you must take immobilizer malfunction seriously. Do you plan to purchase gear and pedal anti theft lock?
Old 28th March 2016, 14:17   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Good !
Nothing to be worried off.

1) The same used to happen in my Dicor when it was brand new. I guess, it was the spring or something in pedal that causes this sound. It will go away as you use.
I still have this happening in my Dicor (4x4) - even after Concorde replaced the spring.

They are shaking their heads as to why it is still happening. (I haven't got the chance to fully investigate it, as I would find out what is the cause)

I don't think that the Storme (4x2) has this problem, but I haven't driven it much at all.
Old 28th March 2016, 14:25   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
I still have this happening in my Dicor (4x4) - even after Concorde replaced the spring.

They are shaking their heads as to why it is still happening. (I haven't got the chance to fully investigate it, as I would find out what is the cause)

I don't think that the Storme (4x2) has this problem, but I haven't driven it much at all.
I had this sound for about 6 months, then, it faded away
I dont recall service center guys replaced anything for this problem.
I am talking about 2010.

Prem.
Old 28th March 2016, 17:50   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
@Doc_zeus

Except immobilizer other complains can not be called as niggles. However you must take immobilizer malfunction seriously. Do you plan to purchase gear and pedal anti theft lock?
Am planning to take the Storme tomorrow to the service centre for immobiliser issue. Regarding the locks, I don't have the faintest idea. Are they recommended?
Old 29th March 2016, 10:43   #233
ISO
BANNED

Quote:
Am planning to take the Storme tomorrow to the service centre for immobiliser issue. Regarding the locks, I don't have the faintest idea. Are they recommended?
I don't have experience in that. May be over senior members can shade some light on that.

There is no guarantee but Locks will only make life of the thief difficult
Old 29th March 2016, 20:43   #234
BHPian

Mods: please move this to appropriate thread if this is not the one.

Posting here to discuss about safety features of Storme.

Read that there was an accident with Safari Storme (I guess 5+1 passenger) couple of days before and only one survived the impact. It's very sad that this happened. May his soul RIP.

Front tyre seem to be have busted and lost control, crossed the lane and rammed into a lorry. See attached picture of Safari Storme. No idea of speed at that time, but not sure if any other vehicle would helped save them or this would be same to all vehicles in fleet of our country.

I am very much sad to know this happened and it's because of Safari. Again no idea on what was the reason behind tyre getting busted.

Last edited by Black_Beast : 29th March 2016 at 20:59.
Black_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 21:56   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
See attached picture of Safari Storme.
Don't see any photograph attached - can you recheck and upload?
Old 29th March 2016, 21:57   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Don't see any photograph attached - can you recheck and upload?
Removed the photo, saw a post in Accident related thread. Here is the reference to it:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3940485

Last edited by Black_Beast : 29th March 2016 at 22:01. Reason: pointed to permalink
Old 1st April 2016, 10:32   #237
BHPian

Visited the service centre yesterday for the immobiliser and seat belt warning issues. Turns out I was wrong. They're completely normal. Cross checked with 2 other Stormes there. While turning off the engine, Immobiliser alarm switches on, if a door is opened while the key is still slotted in. My bad. Have no previous experience with immobiliser or seat belt warnings in my older cars.

Also Storme is developing minor rattles in the rear roof AC and other areas, which already few other Storme owners reported. Heard only when the Music system is switched off. I'll have to live with the rattles may be, just like oil leakages in my Enfield.

The front two seats have a metal bar under the seats, on which the rear passengers can rest their feet. I just found out this yesterday.
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:44   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Storme is developing minor rattles in the rear roof AC and other areas. I'll have to live with the rattles may be.
Dear Doc-Zeus - oh no, you don't have to live with any rattle, no way! I'm not accepting this, so already informed for action. Can you elaborate a little on the clutch pedal click? (requesting to Kaviprem also).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 2nd April 2016, 15:01   #239
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Doc-Zeus - oh no, you don't have to live with any rattle, no way! I'm not accepting this, so already informed for action. Can you elaborate a little on the clutch pedal click? (requesting to Kaviprem also).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behramji

Even my ARIA Varicor has this click sound while pressing clutch. It was clearly audible. TML engineers said it was normal. Now after 35K in 2 years, it is not there. Rather i have not paid any attention to it. Will check today and post.
Old 2nd April 2016, 20:06   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Dear Behramji

Even my ARIA Varicor has this click sound while pressing clutch. It was clearly audible. TML engineers said it was normal. Now after 35K in 2 years, it is not there. Rather i have not paid any attention to it. Will check today and post.

Exactly as above. While the clutch is being pressed, just as it crosses the point of engagement/disengagement, TAK comes a sound and even the engine note changes just a bit to make it noticeable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks