Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2016, 12:01   #136

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

I drove it yesterday and below is what I felt

Positives:
• Excellent power, pulls like a tractor. I am sure farmers in Punjab will love it 
• Engine feels more refined. You don’t hear the nozzles rattling.
• Cabin is very quiet. Tata has done a great job here.
• 6th gear for the highway cruises.
• Fuel release button is now in the door, will prevent tall guys like me accidentally kicking it open.
• 2 din infotainment system. Music sounds good but you might need to put additional speakers coz 4 JBLs are not enough.

Negatives.
• Gears still slot in like a truck, notchy. No different than my 2010 dicor.
• Can be tricky to engage the reverse as the 6th and reverse are too close.
• Interiors could be been made more plush. From tata zest I got a Q that safari interiors will improve but not much has changed apart from the 2 din Harman system.
• No touch, no gadgets  (don’t matter to me, but the gadget freaks will complain)
trucksingh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 16:06   #137
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
In terms of high speed confidence, the Aria comes first, followed by the XUV500, Safari Storme, Fortuner and Scorpio.
Surprised to read that Storme has better high speed manners than Fortuner. I would assume that Fortuner with a stiffer suspension can handle better as speed increases.. Am I missing something?
Old 9th February 2016, 10:20   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Surprised to read that Storme has better high speed manners than Fortuner. I would assume that Fortuner with a stiffer suspension can handle better as speed increases. Am I missing something?
Dear Smekad - hello to you. Yes, you are missing something. Drive both under the same conditions and conclude for yourself, then you will find out what you "were missing"! A small clue though, there is something called "aspect ratio":! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 10:33   #139
ISO
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Smekad - hello to you. Yes, you are missing something. Drive both under the same conditions and conclude for yourself, then you will find out what you "were missing"! A small clue though, there is something called "aspect ratio":! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear DHABHAR Sir,

Could you please explain "aspect ratio"?

In Bahrain for my daily commute there is small toyoto van. Seating is as high as Safari storme. I never felt body roll at high speed cornering/lane change. The suspension is very stiff. Is there any connection between body roll and stiffness of the suspension?
Old 13th February 2016, 18:58   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Dear DHABHAR Sir,

Could you please explain "aspect ratio"?

In Bahrain for my daily commute there is small toyoto van. Seating is as high as Safari storme. I never felt body roll at high speed cornering/lane change. The suspension is very stiff. Is there any connection between body roll and stiffness of the suspension?
http://www.zigwheels.com/guide/four-...t-ratio/11590/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1373793/

Not sure if the Storme actually has a lower tire aspect ratio than the Fortuner - but I have just had my Storme's suspension almost completely replaced wherever needed, then proper a alignment - and this has provided an incredible increase in handling/handling precision.

(Although not up to something like BMW standards!

FYI, I prefer Audi S-series in any case...)
Old 13th February 2016, 22:37   #141
BHPian

May be OT on this thread, apologies.

I am considering Safari for business use (intra-city and inter-city commute mainly) and want to understand the main differences between Dicor and Storme. I tried googling this, but not much luck. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2016, 11:52   #142
ISO
BANNED

Thanks Superflyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
May be OT on this thread, apologies.

I am considering Safari for business use (intra-city and inter-city commute mainly) and want to understand the main differences between Dicor and Storme. I tried googling this, but not much luck. Thanks.
Read the official review and your doubts will be cleared
Old 14th February 2016, 23:34   #143
BHPian

Does anyone know if the Varicor 400 4x2 has a limited-slip (rear) differential?

And if the Varicor 400 4x4 does also? (It should - if it follows the Safari Dicor formula - but that doesn't mean that it would! ) Edited to Add: Posts No. 1 & 5 state that the 4x4 does!

What about the Varicor 320 versions? Any info on LS differentials there?

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 14th February 2016 at 23:37.
Old 15th February 2016, 00:02   #144
BHPian

Took a test drive of this beast on Saturday . The below is my feedback :

Positives
1) Amazing engine. Really pulls well and is powerful. Loved the sound of the engine in the cabin. Was driving at 40 kmph in 4th gear and the car did not complain. Great pick up. It touches 60 in 2nd gear itself.
2) Road Presence - I loved the feeling of being the boss on the road. The humungous size makes the other vehicles on the road to give way. Nobody likes to mess with this car. I so loved it.
3) View of the Road- great seating position makes me more confident and gives me a better view of the bonnet. This makes overtaking a breeze. I found this better than my Vista.
4) Clutch - The clutch is super light and not something you would find in behemoth like this.
5) Ride- so comfortable. You don't feel a thing. Great suspension. You don't hesitate while driving on bad patches or roads.

Negatives:

1) Fit and finish - I was suprised to still find inconsistent panel gaps and bad finishing on a 16 plus lakh car. I found gaps in the front doors in spite of them being closed properly. The dashboard plastic, though improved still felt flimsy to the touch. The switch to put the headlights on felt really plasticy. The roof ac for the rear seats is still big and looks odd. Compare this with the one in the Innova.

2) Vibrations- found the gear vibrating on acceleration, some noises from the rear in a car which had barely done 2k kms.

3) Speedo and rpm dials-have been around since the Dicor
4) No MID
5) same old design
6) gear shift felt notchy and rubbery

I have been a Tata customer for ages. Do I love the Safari? Yes and no.
Do I want to spend 16 lakh on it: definitely not. My heart says yes but my mind says no way. There are many more options out there and this is what TATA needs to come to terms with. They have to look at providing great products in line with the competetion or they are going to lose out.

Last edited by bigben : 15th February 2016 at 00:08.
Old 15th February 2016, 17:04   #145
ISO
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post

I have been a Tata customer for ages. Do I love the Safari? Yes and no.
Do I want to spend 16 lakh on it: definitely not. My heart says yes but my mind says no way. There are many more options out there and this is what TATA needs to come to terms with. They have to look at providing great products in line with the competetion or they are going to lose out.
What are those options? I really want to know. I plan to purchase Safari in near future.
Old 15th February 2016, 17:09   #146
BHPian

Dear DHABHAR BEHRAM,

In the recent auto expo we did not see TATA focusing on the Storme. Is it an indication that TATA is planning to slowly do away their old products? It is definite that they will be focusing on the new releases but is there any chance of deprecating the Storme or other old products in the future?
Old 15th February 2016, 17:35   #147
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.The Rambler View Post
Is it an indication that TATA is planning to slowly do away their old products? It is definite that they will be focusing on the new releases but is there any chance of deprecating the Storme or other old products in the future?
The Storme is literally on its last legs and TML knows that what is needed is a completely new vehicle and no amount of revamps and changes can make it sell anymore. Its only a matter of time before the Storme is axed.

Of course, this post will prolly create some ripples in some people.
Old 15th February 2016, 19:16   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.The Rambler View Post
...In the recent auto expo we did not see TATA focusing on the Storme. Is it an indication that TATA is planning to slowly do away their old products? It is definite that they will be focusing on the new releases but is there any chance of deprecating the Storme or other old products in the future?
Sorry to butt in, but it's only common for any manufacturer to focus on their latest line up / upcoming products / concepts in a premier show like Auto Expo. I doubt TATA will anytime axe their "Safari" brand as it carries a lot of value unlike the "Indi.." brand. The recent focus on strengthening the product is a sure shot give away to this insight. If TATA wanted to axe it, they would have never put this kind of efforts into the SUV.

I have seen tremendous improvement on Storme, but it still lacks the appeal for a 15L segment for a whole lot of customers. I am really looking forward to the next gen Safari and with the new design language / feature sets in the latest products, I can expect a really H-O-T product.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 19:46   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
What are those options? I really want to know. I plan to purchase Safari in near future.
Well the XUV is one option. Then the other option is the Creta diesel automatic. Awesome vehicle. great power and the ease of an auto and if you are going to be doing most of your driving in the city, an auto makes sense.

The Creta is in the same price bracket that's why I mentioned it .

Though I loved the feel inside the Safari, the high seating position and the fabulous engine, I know that the Creta will be relatively a better buy.

But there is some part of me just clinging on to the safari. I love it- the size, the power, the fact that you can bully other motorists. It is such an awesome vehicle. I just wish it was an overall better package.
Old 16th February 2016, 07:54   #150
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

I recently booked a Storme 400 after looking at Creta, XUV and Scorpio. In my view though these cars comes with lot of features (which is their USP) they are used during the first few days with an excitement and then we don't care. Specifically to Creta, I felt too cramped interiors and low back seating for the more or less same price as a safari or Innova (gx). This I thought was no VFM. The point is every user is different and that's precisely the reason there are so many varieties available in market. A manufacturer will sell as long it makes business sense and safari Storme is certainly still in radar for Tata Motors. We have seen cars that are being sold in 2 digits for years and I think Safari Storme sells ~ 500 per month. Of course more cars on the road will be good for the manufacturer, but we may loose exclusivity? 😜

Last edited by Car&me : 16th February 2016 at 07:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks