Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2017, 10:03   #436
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

Greetings fellow BHPians...this is my first post on this forum. Have been a shadow follower for quite some time now. My query is pertaining to the W10 vs the upcoming Compass. As i will be in the market for a ~20 lakh purchase (that is the maximum limit pour moi) i was keen on the W10 automatic. The design of the facelifted XUV has really grown on me. Also the positives highlighted by GTO for the autobox have been a context setter. Just read a recent article which pits Compass as ~16 lakhs ex showroom for the base model. A lot of it is speculation only but really sends my mind thinking should i go for The Jeep or the Indian jeep.
Old 6th March 2017, 10:26   #437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprashant View Post
Just read a recent article which pits Compass as ~16 lakhs ex showroom for the base model. A lot of it is speculation only
I have been fooled many times by such "launch prices likely to be around Rs. 16 lacs" type of articles in car magazines. Looking at its engine & features specs, I think Compass' on-road prices will be Rs. 23 to Rs. 30 Lacs
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 15:56   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Absolutely agree.

Could you please give us your feed back on the Tien suspension. Ride and handling seems to be the XUV500's Achilles heel. Just curious to know how effective the Tien package is.
Without Tien, as an owner my perspective is that low speed ride upto ~30kmph is the real achilles heel for XUV. Beyond that it handles bumps very well and doesnt require you to slow down where other cars would. Many times on speed breakers I dont even bother to slow down and is more comfortable than in 2nd gear. Another thing that helps the ride is increasing tire pressure to around 34 vs recommended 30-32 from Mahindra. It makes the ride tighter and less bouncy at low speeds.

Handling is actually pretty good in my view and not an issue. It fairly chuckable for a car of its size even in stock setup. I have the old figo to compare against and I pretty much can take similar speeds into corners even in Xuv and it stays fairly flat. Not as sharp but no feeling of wight transfer like in ladder chassis SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashu03 View Post
1. Accessories from showroom: Side step, Door lining and Rain visor
2. I will change the stock tyres (Bridgestone/Apollo) to Michelin/Pirelli/Continental
3. Accessories from 3M: NoMad mats, PPF (Front & Rear bumpers, side mirrors, under door handles, door edges), underbody antirust coating, CR70 film on Frontshield and RE70 on sides and back.
Among the stock tyres Bridgestones are actually pretty good and grippy. Tire noise only becomes noticeable beyond 100kmph and is fairly tolerable till 130kmph range. Looking at your high city miles, you may not need to upgrade. however feel free if you dont have a wallet pinch after purchase.

I would suggest to get the rear bumper guard if you dont mind its ugliness . Under body rust is a good idea too. In place of sunfilm i got the magnetic shades from Mahindra which are very good quality. It works for city like Bangalore where it doesnt get too hot.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 17:40   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Among the stock tyres Bridgestones are actually pretty good and grippy. Tire noise only becomes noticeable beyond 100kmph and is fairly tolerable till 130kmph range. Looking at your high city miles, you may not need to upgrade. however feel free if you dont have a wallet pinch after purchase.

I would suggest to get the rear bumper guard if you dont mind its ugliness . Under body rust is a good idea too. In place of sunfilm i got the magnetic shades from Mahindra which are very good quality. It works for city like Bangalore where it doesnt get too hot.
If this is the case, then it's better that I stick to Bridgestones. Why to waste money
I also thought about rear bumper guard but its really ugly and i don't want to spoil my Black beast looks by installing rear guard. I will go for PPF from 3M for front and rear bumper. Regarding magnetic shades, i am not sure whether i will go ahead with that or not. Still looking for alternatives.
Do you have any idea whether XUV comes with tint glasses or not? When i compare my Ecosport with XUV, i get the feeling that my Ecosport has factory fitted tint glasses but XUV glasses are crystal clear and do not have factory fitted tint glasses. I may be wrong about this.
Ashu03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 17:12   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any idea whether XUV comes with tint glasses or not? When i compare my Ecosport with XUV, i get the feeling that my Ecosport has factory fitted tint glasses but XUV glasses are crystal clear and do not have factory fitted tint glasses. I may be wrong about this.
I am not certain but by the look of it the XUV glasses dont have any tint on them. I have a Figo which is also the same. its possible that ecosport may be having some from the factory.
Old 13th March 2017, 22:42   #441

Quote:
Yes, XUV has tinted solar-reflecting glasses factory fitted (mentioned on the official website too). Getting W6 AT delivered this Thursday!
Will surely post a review on the same..
And just a heads up:
The 3M nomad mats will cost you a bomb as of now. I inquired about the same in Delhi (Kailash Colony) and he gave me a rough figure of 12k..

I've been checking out this thread since a long time and don't know that why there has been a fuss about the push start/stop button, passive key less entry etc in W10 AT? It has been introduced by Mahindra since mid last year and any day its better to check out the e brochure to get detailed info on the features..
mayank1908 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 10:20   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank1908 View Post
Yes, XUV has tinted solar-reflecting glasses factory fitted (mentioned on the official website too). Getting W6 AT delivered this Thursday!
Will surely post a review on the same..
And just a heads up:
The 3M nomad mats will cost you a bomb as of now. I inquired about the same in Delhi (Kailash Colony) and he gave me a rough figure of 12k..
Thanks Mayank for providing the required information. I will wait for your review on effectiveness of factory fitted tinted glasses and will take the call accordingly.
I know that 3M Nomad mats cost a lot. I researched a lot but didn't found any good Nomad alternatives. Do you have any idea regarding good quality mats available in market which i can use in place of Nomad mats?
Old 14th March 2017, 10:59   #443

Quote:
I know that 3M Nomad mats cost a lot. I researched a lot but didn't found any good Nomad alternatives. Do you have any idea regarding good quality mats available in market which i can use in place of Nomad mats?
To be frank there is no alternative to Nomad mats as far as the quality is concerned but seemingly the cost is just too high. I placed an order for 5d mats from coozo and they are of pretty good quality and costs 4.5k only.
My car has arrived at the stockyard and will be going for the PDI today
Old 29th March 2017, 17:06   #444
BHPian

Completed 5000 kms on the XUV yesterday, boy what a fun car it is. I have been spoiled by the Fiesta, when it comes to cornering and high speed stability, so the first time I took it on the high way and hit one of those camel humps, the way the car bounced made me feel like I am sitting on the HULK's shoulders during one of his giant leaps. Nah! Its not that bad, once you get the hang of it, it's a terrific mile muncher.
So, mine is an automatic one and I have been getting an average of 9 kmpl in the city. Is that normal? Oh, and I have the AWD version, but I haven't engaged it at all in all these days, so that shouldn't figure in the scheme of things I believe. (?)
Is that a standard sort of average to expect for the auto variant of the XUV? While selling they told me it would return an average of about 12-13 kmpl.

Just one more thing, these tyres, Bridgestones, man they do like to make a dramatic stop; screeching every time I have a slightly enthusiastic foot on the brake pedal. Even while turning they make a screeching sound. Again is it just me, or do these tyres have a inbuilt theatrics unit installed?

Over all happy with the car.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th March 2017 at 17:42. Reason: brake pedal, not break pedal
RacingForIndia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:30   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia View Post
So, mine is an automatic one and I have been getting an average of 9 kmpl in the city. Is that normal?
My XUV AT gives an FE of 9-10 kmpl as well in the b2b city traffic of Bangalore. So it is normal. On highways it goes up to 15-16 kmpl.

Bridgestone Duelers are definitely noisy as noted by other members in the forum as well, but I haven't heard loud screeches when braking. Probably its because I mostly brake gently and don't drive too fast. I also keep the windows always up which filters out most of the outside sounds.

Btw, I also completed 5000 kms recently on my XUV and am quite pleased with the car so far.
mustang_shelby is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 18:57   #446
BHPian

I own a 11k kms run W10 AWD AT. The Bridgestone duelers screech at every hard braking. I concur with the mileage figure of 10kmpl in city and 15 on highways.
heman_369 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 02:59   #447

I've done 550 kms on my W6 AT and got Apollo tyres in it. I've used Bridgestone Dueler in my Bolero and man those tyres does scream on hard breaking. But this ain't the case with Apollo's, they are pretty good and has very less road noise.
Though somehow I feel that Duelers run more than Apollo's.

Getting an average of 10.5 kmpl in city drive though I'm yet to check it through tank to tank method. Will post the actual results and car review soon. AT's a breeze to drive till now!
Old 7th April 2017, 10:26   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Guys, I have horrendous experiences with my XUV 500 W10, and bracing myself to sell it ................... particularly the after sales. All the best !
Dear Sir,
I stumbled upon this post of yours posted back in 2016. Do you still own XUV? Is there a thread where-in you have explained your concerns about XUV?

I purchased XUV500 AWD AT in August last year. Clocked close to 9K by now. Didn't face any frustrating issues so far. A.S.S experience was also good so far. Am at Kochi and the service centre is TVS Mahindra @ Maradu, Kochi.
Old 20th April 2017, 17:37   #449
BHPian

Has anyone upgraded from the 1st gen w8 to the new-gen W8 AT? My dad is finding it difficult to drive the XUV in traffic, with the horrid traffic we've had off late in Bombay. (Also because I've stolen his Baleno). Thinking of upgrading to an auto XUV, as a known devil is better than an unknown one.

1. Does anyone know the current discounts on the XUV AT? Will the discounts apply on the latest version (with Android Auto?)
2. How much should I expect for my current W8 (top notch condition, 60k kms)?
3. Any niggles in the new gen XUVs?

thanks in advance.
Old 22nd April 2017, 16:28   #450

Friends, I am sure you would've noticed the new version of XUV 500 with upgraded software (Android Auto, Connected Apps, Ecosense tech and an Emergency Call function) which got launched last week. I wrote to Mahindra Customer care whether these features will be available to an existing customer as it is only a software upgrade of ICE but they replied to me in negative.

Any idea how to put pressure on Mahindra to extend these to existing customers? I have been waiting for Android Auto feature for quite sometime.

regards,
Sathya
XUV 5OO W10 AT (July 2016, 6000 kms)

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2017 at 22:24. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks