Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2016, 04:48   #1426
BHPian

Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jateen View Post
Its Manual or Automatic ?

Alpha variant comes with Manual transmission alone. CVT option is there only in Delta and Zeta variants. Nevertheless, this is an amazing fuel efficiency. My Alpha Baleno petrol has clocked close to 1500 kms and fuel efficiency is never more than 18 kmpl.

Last edited by autospeaker : 8th October 2016 at 04:50.
Old 8th October 2016, 07:51   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmano View Post
Alpha too doesn't come with any of those. Why do you think, you need an engine cover? There is dampener underneath the bonnet and engine noise in the cabin is well under control. About the exhaust manifold, nothing comes in contact with it, so a guard is not necessary .

Couple of reasons that I can think of for the injector cover. One is cosmetic and gives a clean uncluttered look to the engine, the second is some people like me are crazy about their cars - every weekend I also wash and polish the engine bay. A cover helps prevent water from going inside. Similar reasons for the exhaust manifold to prevent accidentally touching the hot surface while cleaning. They have anyways provisioned by providing slots, how much does these covers cost.
Old 8th October 2016, 08:20   #1428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
I'm considering buying the Baleno as my secondary car. A lot of users here are complaining about the stiff suspension setup of the car. I wanted to know if the issue is really that bad and is it a deal breaker? The suspension issue and the waiting periods are the only two things which are against about the Baleno. Otherwise, I am really interested in buying it.

The suspension is stiff but should not be a deal breaker. Yes, with a slip disc problem I might have thought again had I known. If you're passing over a bad patch at a good speed it is not as bad I feel. The other points of this wonderful package out score the stiff suspension negative points. The wait is worth the delight of driving this wonderful car. But yes compared to my SX4 diesel this car does have quite stiff suspension so you should be prepared for it lest it comes as a surprise if you decide to buy it.
Old 8th October 2016, 08:58   #1429
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Suzuki Baleno 1.2 SHVS - FULL THROTTLE + CONTROLLED EMERGENCY STOP (2016)!

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 11:28   #1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by jateen View Post
Its Manual or Automatic ?
Its Manual. This was shown when the aircon was off.
Old 9th October 2016, 00:29   #1431

Browsing through this topic.. I am buying my first car. Few of the cars I have TD are..
New FIGO - Didnt like it. Comes nowhere close to the old Figo which was one of my fav cars.
Tata Tiago - A very good car. Well put together. Engine and drive was a pleasant surprise. But not as good as good old swift.
Swift - Lovely car. Fell in love with the drive.
Kwid - Didnt like it. Bad gear shifting. Not smooth at all.
Baleno - Nice car. Felt same as swift in drive but tad less sporty.

So now I am in dilemma between Swift and Baleno. My budget is about 6L and it has to be a Petrol car and a Hatch. Swift is tried and tested car for about a decade now so there's nothing about swift that we do not know yet. But same cannot be said about Baleno. I have got opinions that Swift is an old platform now and Baleno is a brilliant new platform. So I should go for Baleno. But not sure how much this matters. So would love to hear from you all how do Swift and Baleno compare.
Few things that worry about Baleno me are.. When I open the hood i can see the ground beneath between the engine assembly. Is this normal ? Is this usual with all the cars ? I feel the car a bit flimsy when compared with Swift. Not sure if its just my feeling or it actually is.
About the variants it would be Swift LXi (with Safety package - 2AirBags, ABS, EBD) and Baleno Sigma(the base model).

TIA all...
Old 9th October 2016, 15:22   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubhpatil View Post
Browsing through this topic.. I am buying my first car. Few of the cars I have TD are..

About the variants it would be Swift LXi (with Safety package - 2AirBags, ABS, EBD) and Baleno Sigma(the base model).

TIA all...

Go for a Baleno eyes closed. In fact if you can stretch a bit go for the automatic. Thanks to views shared on this esteemed platform by fellow BHPians, I got my tyre pressure checked today after taking delivery on 4th October of my Baleno Zeta CVT and was shocked to find the tyre pressure as high as 42 psi which I understand was the reason for the stiff ride that was bothering me when comparing it with my Swift and SX4. Got it reduced to 29 psi and hey the car drives like a hot knife in butter. The interior space is way ahead of Swift. I'm 6'4" tall and with the driver seat fully pushed back, can still sit very comfortably in the rear seat with acres of leg space. Similarly the boot is huge by Swift standards. In fact the Baleno is as long as a Dzire. The gadgetry is the latest, I wish rather than playing intelligent dudes the folks at Maruti should have given the automatic option in top end Alpha as well. But with feedback on this platform of the wavery HID beam guess I'm happy with the conventional lights in the Zeta model. Swift looks old generation in front of Baleno.
Old 9th October 2016, 20:34   #1433
BHPian

Quote:
If you are not in a hurry, you can wait for 2017 swift, which would be competitive if put aside baleno. In case you go for baleno you'll be getting your car by around Feb-March 2017.
Conclusion : Baleno is the best buy. Go ahead and book it. Also stay updated about 2017 swift , in case it is launched by the time you are getting delivery of your baleno you can choose between the two and if Baleno is chosen then you wont have to wait for another six months.

Last edited by CA Dhruv : 9th October 2016 at 20:35.
Old 9th October 2016, 21:35   #1434
BHPian

I had booked the Baleno in November but canceled it in January 2016 because of a long wait period and multiple missed deadlines by the Nexa Dealer and went ahead and acquired an Elite i20. I am now looking for another hatchback and considering the Baleno. I went to the same dealer and it seems instead of streamlining their production line, there is an even further delay. Was he just gassing or is there really a 33 week wait for the Baleno? I don't mind either the Alpha or the Zeta - the differences between them are negligible for my needs. But I certainly can't wait for 33 weeks - which is about 8 months.
Old 9th October 2016, 23:18   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Swift - Lovely car. Fell in love with the drive.

Baleno - Nice car. Felt same as swift in drive but tad less sporty.

So now I am in dilemma between Swift and Baleno. My budget is about 6L and it has to be a Petrol car and a Hatch.
TIA all...
Next generation Swift is in pipeline, expected in 2017. Given the availability of Baleno worldwide along with Swift, expect the latter to focus on sportiness, just like the current one.

I would suggest you go for Baleno. Its newer, bigger, more spacious and same 1.2 of Swift seems more eager in Baleno. Resale would be better than the current Swift's, much larger boot and cabin are huge plus points. I have Swift VXi bought in July 2015, and trust me, the rear seat is pretty much cramped compared to Baleno. Boot can barely take in luggage of two individuals, three at the most, for 2-3 days weekend. My personal preference was Swift at that time, but somehow Baleno has grown onto me. I enjoy Swift daily morning while returning to home, empty roads and it can be fun, but thats only due to next to NO traffic. I also found that visibility is better in Baleno than Swift ( could be only me !) which is an added bonus on our roads. Baleno, on the whole, is newer and packs a lot for its size.
Old 10th October 2016, 08:55   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Alpha variant comes with Manual transmission alone. CVT option is there only in Delta and Zeta variants. Nevertheless, this is an amazing fuel efficiency. My Alpha Baleno petrol has clocked close to 1500 kms and fuel efficiency is never more than 18 kmpl.
You meant less than 18kmpl right?

Is there a thread or discussion on installing head unit in Delta version? Any pointers to such discussion or thread will be appreciated.
Old 10th October 2016, 10:55   #1437

Very useful inputs. Thankyou guys.
Couple of points.

- I am already on a stretched budget. I started from 5L and few of friends got me enabled to 6L. Cant go beyond it :(
- So in this budget Sigma is the only model I can think of.
- The primary thing I would like to add to the Sigma model is the music system. I need to check if Sigma has provisions for it.
- I am not too much fan of all the frills like Chrome handle, strips etc., vanity mirrors etc, electrically retractable OVRMs etc. Wont mind not having all these things.
- Sigma has all the things that are important to me. Power steering, Front Power windows, Front airbags, ABS, EBD. These things are absolute must for me.
Old 10th October 2016, 13:12   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Sigma has all the things that are important to me. Power steering, Front Power windows, Front airbags, ABS, EBD. These things are absolute must for me.
Sigma does not have the tachometer (do not know if you consider it necessary) , Automatic climate control, rear wiper & defogger and music system. I think the price difference to delta would be negligible with the after market addition of music system & central lock(approx. Rs.25k for both) on the sigma.

IMHO, Baleno Delta Petrol is the most VFM among petrol hatchbacks.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 10th October 2016 at 13:13.
Old 10th October 2016, 14:12   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Sigma does not have the tachometer (do not know if you consider it necessary) , Automatic climate control, rear wiper & defogger and music system. I think the price difference to delta would be negligible with the after market addition of music system & central lock(approx. Rs.25k for both) on the sigma.

IMHO, Baleno Delta Petrol is the most VFM among petrol hatchbacks.
I have recently purchased a Baleno Sigma Petrol and the features I really miss in it are factory fitted Keyless entry and Rear power windows. The difference between Baleno Sigma and Delta was around 80k to 90k in Pune and I didnt find that difference justified for features that were provided as per my opinion.

The price list I received from Sai Nexa, Pune had music system staring at 10k, set of speakers at 4k and keyless at 7500 rs. I agree that there is no match for factory fitted features but when my decision came to must haves (viz front airbags and abs with keyless entry and music system to be fitted later) vs can do without it (auto climate, rear power windows, steering mounted controls, rear wiper washer, factory fitted reverse assist) I chose to stop at the former as I could get reverse assist, music system, keyess entry fitted later.

To be frank I also had a budget of 5 Lacs as this is a 3rd car for us, mainly for city runs with the other two cars having all the features that can be dreamt of and suddenly enhancing the budget to 7 lacs was a real deal breaker so chose to stick with Sigma at 6.12 lacs with the plus point that it can also be used on highways when required. Buying this variant will save you atleast 50k if you dont go for a high end music system and stick to basic but dealer fitted stuff.
Old 10th October 2016, 14:32   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
Browsing through this topic..
Baleno sigma is only viable if you are ok without the features that it's higher variants offer. The only plus for going for baleno is if you want space and reliability of a maruti.
Two good cars in your budget are missing in this list.
1. Honda brio - You can go for the facelift version. Also you can look if the dealer has pre facelift version, you can get heavy discounts on this and even the top model can fall into your budget.
2. Hyundai grand i10 - Though the facelift model is going to be out soon but still the current model is well within budget and due to festive season you can get good discount on this too.
These two cars you can get within 2 weeks but for baleno you would have to wait minimum 3-4 months. They may be less spacious than baleno but would have more features than the sigma version.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks