Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2017, 23:56   #1756
BANNED

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
That's what i was thinking. online search shows that intermittent helps us set the time interval. But i was not able to do anything such. Even, i found INT and Low both were working at the same speed. Then what's the advantage of having INT as an option. Am i missing something ?
Low should be a continuously moving setting ,just at a slower speed. In all the cars I have had in the past 15 years, the Int is definitely slower than the Low option. Do check again.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 23:54   #1757
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aswin Saseedharan shares these pics of his sexy Baleno!

Super looking. TASTE - you either have it or you don't. As simple as that.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-baleno-running-shot.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-fullsizerender-1.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_2512.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_3119.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_3129.jpg
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 00:03   #1758
Team-BHP Support

^^ 90% of the job has been done by his choice of alloys & tyres.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 14:54   #1759
BHPian

Sharing in case any one need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-unnamed.jpg  

Highh5 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 17:46   #1760
BHPian

So, to give you a synopsis on the alloy upgrade on my Baleno!

I was initially inclined to get the stock alloys painted in Black (Shiny finish). But, the spy images of Baleno RS had those alloys and they looked like aftermarket hubcaps.

So, I decided to exchange the OE alloys for decent looking aftermarket ones.

I found Lenso pattern to be pretty boring and Momo Revenge (Anthracite) too common, though I preferred the Matt Black ones. Unfortunately none of the stores in Chennai had Momo Revenge in Matt Black.

But, I'm a sucker for Machined Black alloys. I had them on my Fiesta and Ertiga as well.

Please check the alloys below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3719328

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...ml#post3378637

So, I wanted to try if there are decent options in Machined Black. I found a Vossen Replica (5 spokes) in Matt Black. But those were 7.5J and Parag Bhai confirmed that the ride quality would be taken for a toss.

Finally managed to get the below alloys.

IMHO unless a complete Chrome-Delete is done, Matt Black alloys will not suit Baleno.

So, I prefer the current set with Machined Black along with Chrome door handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-baleno-zeta-cvt1.jpg  

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 20th February 2017 at 17:47.
Prodigy07 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 18:23   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share the source of this info. The price listed seems very cheap to be true, For instance,

Front bumper @ Rs. 1750/- (actually it costs as much to paint the bumper in A.S.C)
Front windshield @ Rs. 3565/-

Am I missing something???

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 20th February 2017 at 18:25.
Old 20th February 2017, 18:32   #1762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Can you please share the source of this info. The price listed seems very cheap to be true, For instance,

Front bumper @ Rs. 1750/- (actually it costs as much to paint the bumper in A.S.C)
Front windshield @ Rs. 3565/-

Am I missing something???
The image is taken from the Autocar spare parts survey done a few months ago.

Front bumper's price is correct at Rs.1750, the unpainted bumpers of Swift and Ritz also cost roughly the same. After painting, the cost goes up to around Rs.4,000.

Front windshield also seems genuinely priced.

Regards,
Shashi

Edit: Attaching the pricelist for your consideration

autocar-spare-parts-price-survey.pdf

Last edited by Leoshashi : 20th February 2017 at 18:34.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 12:32   #1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Go for the delta if you are stretching your budget for the zeta and are not worried about bells and whistles the car has to offer. The delta has sufficient features that are more than enough for general usage, you lose out only on some of the luxury features. However if your comfortable with budget then choose the zeta itself. You get almost all the bells and whistles and its as good as a top end variant. And as for the tyre the OEM ones should be suffiecient for general usage. Even for the delta an upsize would not be needed IMO.
Quote:
I would suggest to opt for delta. Only deal breaker thing i see is UV cut glass and fog lamps. Fog lamps can be easily from outside. Regarding alloy wheels, i never liked the design of what they offer on Baleno, if you still want, then opt the one provided in Vitara Brezza or Ciaz. Other wise you can get many options outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
You haven't mentioned budget constraints, so I assume it is not an issue.

Go for the higher version. I remember reading in this review that the UV cut glass are better than usual ones. Also, the seat height adjustment is a must-have feature for vertically challenged drivers. Don't think of how you can save the 62k, you will anyways recover big part of it at the time of resale.

Unless of course, you are stretching your budget too much already. Then and only then go for the lower version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Delta is good VFM option only if there is a budget concern. Else ZETA is a better option. Keyless entry, button start, 16 inch wheel, 195 section Apollo alnac tyres, and subtle changes in interior and exterior trim gives a slightly premium feel in Zeta.

The day NEXA changes alloy wheel design, ZETA will sell more.
Thanks all for your suggestions. Booked a Ray Blue Zeta CVT. My wife wanted to see an Urban Blue Baleno as well before deciding. The dealer did not have that color in stock and informed me that they would let me know as soon as they had one in their stock. Came home and found that the parking slot at home next to mine had an Urban Blue Baleno :-)
Wife decided that Urban Blue is not what she wanted. So Ray Blue it is.

20 Weeks is the waiting time quoted by the SA but have been promised that it would get delivered in less than that time frame.

Are the Apollo Alnac tyres the only OEM supply for the Zeta? How good are they?
joserajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 13:27   #1764
BHPian

Quote:
This comparison of prices seems to be for the base variants only and the higher variants of the Baleno have expensive parts which are comparable with other similar brands. The price for the tail lamp mentioned here appears to be for the variants without the LED bulbs at Rs.2,552. For the Alpha variant with the LED bulbs, the tail lamp costs Rs.5,250 per piece. I paid this price recently to replace a cracked tail lamp. Similarly, the Alpha variants' headlamp assembly should also be a lot more expensive. Fixing any scratches or dents or any body panel that requires painting is expensive and is now done only in the service stations of NEXA dealers.
Old 21st February 2017, 13:39   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsam View Post
This comparison of prices seems to be for the base variants only and the higher variants of the Baleno have expensive parts which are comparable with other similar brands. The price for the tail lamp mentioned here appears to be for the variants without the LED bulbs at Rs.2,552. For the Alpha variant with the LED bulbs, the tail lamp costs Rs.5,250 per piece. I paid this price recently to replace a cracked tail lamp. Similarly, the Alpha variants' headlamp assembly should also be a lot more expensive. Fixing any scratches or dents or any body panel that requires painting is expensive and is now done only in the service stations of NEXA dealers.
The HID projectors on the alpha also probably cost a bomb. Sure, they should last for the lifetime of the car in terms of the rated life of the light source, but an accident replacement or some kind of water entry etc might be costly.
Old 21st February 2017, 14:04   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joserajesh View Post
Thanks all for your suggestions. Booked a Ray Blue Zeta CVT. My wife wanted to see an Urban Blue Baleno as well before deciding. The dealer did not have that color in stock and informed me that they would let me know as soon as they had one in their stock. Came home and found that the parking slot at home next to mine had an Urban Blue Baleno :-)
Wife decided that Urban Blue is not what she wanted. So Ray Blue it is.

20 Weeks is the waiting time quoted by the SA but have been promised that it would get delivered in less than that time frame.

Are the Apollo Alnac tyres the only OEM supply for the Zeta? How good are they?
The Apollo Alnac 4G tyre is adequate and seems to be the best option available in the size of 195/55 R16. It is not the softest compound and is not the best in terms of road noise. It provides sufficient grip in a variety of conditions and meets the need for city and highway runs for an average driver. There is a decent fuel economy and adequate comfort for its class. I evaluated a change when I bought mine and concluded that this met most of my needs. It has served me well in high speed braking and driving in wet conditions for 12,000 kms and counting. This tire size limits the options available in the market for a change.
Old 21st February 2017, 20:09   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joserajesh View Post
20 weeks waiting time!! I booked a Granite Grey Baleno CVT Zeta on 5th February at OMR Nexa and was given a 24 weeks waiting period although the SA did say that the car will be delivered in less than that time frame. He told me that only the diesel variants have their waiting time reduced to 20 weeks from 24 after the Gujarat plant started operations.

Last edited by y2ksrs : 21st February 2017 at 20:09. Reason: Added variant info
Old 21st February 2017, 20:17   #1768
BHPian

Delivery experience and Initial impressions

Took delivery of my Delta CVT yesterday, 20-Feb, in the evening. The booking was made on 12-Sep-2016.

Delivery experience:
My RM, Mr. Dasharath of Jayabheri Nexa, had a personal emergency and was on leave for the last couple of days. He still followed up on the vehicle in transit and promptly called on Saturday morning that the vehicle was to reach the stockyard by late evening. Unfortunately the vehicle could not be delivered on Sunday as the showroom PDI and other stuff will take a day.

On Monday morning my RM called up again, though he was still on leave, and had informed that his colleague, Mr. Krishna, will process my delivery. Mr. Krishna was very helpful and followed-up on things till the delivery, though he was not my RM.

The car was brought to the showroom by 2PM for PDI. Things were fine as per TBHP checklist. So I proceeded with the payment once the insurance quote was generated. The showroom encourages online transfer of funds and has accounts with SBI, HDFC and ICICI for instant payment and receipts for customers of these banks. Since, I wasn't taking a loan, I proceeded with online payment and the receipt was given immediately.

At this point I was informed that the temporary registration and accessories fitment will take a couple of hours and I went back home (My home is just 2.5 km from the showroom)

I had a 50% NCB from my previous insurance policy, and thanks to TBHP I was informed that I can transfer my NCB. I got a 7k discount on the basic premium. A special thanks to TBHP for keeping us informed on everything that matters in this context .

Accessories were minimal - foot-mats, side moulding, mud-flaps, fog lamps and some glitz (OVRM, Window line and boot-lip chrome). Did not opt for the basic accessories package or Nexa loyalty card.

I got a call from Mr. Krishna at 6.30 PM that the car is ready for delivery. I went to the showroom and paid for the accessories and doing a second round of PDI. Had to wait for a few minutes as another car was getting delivered.

When my turn came, I was presented with a cake, a bouquet and a box of Ferrero Rochers. Mr. Krishna explained about the various features and was kind enough to point out that I was using my left leg on the brakes from my habit of driving manual gearbox . He also informed that there minimal amount of Fuel and that I needed to get an air-check done immediately. (Tyres were over-inflated as expected - left tyres and spare had 46 PSI and the right ones had 51 PSI)

Overall the delivery experience was pretty smooth.

Nexa experience:

I found the Jayabheri Nexa team extremely courteous and professional - there was always someone eager to assist and the queries were generally answered to the point, unless it was about waiting period and expected delivery date. At no point was I assured of a delivery date, till the car was dispatched, which is commendable considering the fact that they risk a cancellation in few cases. False commitment in this context is what makes the Nexa experience sour for most folks.

Now about the car - the cool and not-so-cool things observed so far

The cool things first:
  • CVT is a breeze to drive in the city. I noticed that I am so much calmer while driving in traffic now; I may attain Nirvana soon.
  • The car cruises at 1000-1100 RPM in speeds of 40 to 50 kmph within the city - no wonder it is claimed fuel efficient.
  • Took it for a short highway spin on the ORR. Sports mode made the car eager to accelerate and the tacho was hovering around 3000 RPM at 80 kmph. When I disengaged the Sports mode, the RPM immediately dropped to 1400 RPM.
  • 'D' mode is good enough for the city; we were 3 people in the car weighing a total of 205 kgs and slopes were handled in the 'D' mode itself. Even the steep incline near Inorbit mall was handled with ease in 'D' mode
  • The sound system is good, though bassy. Even with equalizer turned off, it is quite bassy. I set the equalizer to 'Pop' and this reduces the Bass below 0 (default level) and the music sounded crisp. This is still a bit bassy for me. however, I can go any more lower on bass as my better half is a bass-head and she is love with it.

The not-so-cool things:
  • CVT transmission whine, though not intrusive, is audible when the music is off. The rubber band effect can be felt when the car is accelerated from standstill as the RPM goes to 2000 and then settles around 1400 in a couple of seconds. Yet to experience the actual rubber-band effect when the accelerated is floored to some extent.
  • There is no compartment is store the jack or other tools given. I have managed to place them around the spare wheel and the jack only rattles when I hit a large speed-breaker at a slightly higher speed.
  • The steering weighs up a bit inconsistently at times and does not return to center during U-turns. My A-star's steering too needed a slight nudge to return to center, but this one has to be brought back to center.
  • The boot needs a firm push to lock properly - this is a pain while entering/exiting office spaces and malls as the guard has to be informed that he needs to attempt closing the boot again and that it deserves a firm push. Others experiencing the same as well?
  • No boot-lamp and I was unable to get it installed as an official accessory.

More details on driving experience and other details after my 1st service when I will put it my ownership review.
A few pics for now (Shot with mobile camera in flash mode). Better pictures will be uploaded during the ownership review.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20170220_192428.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20170220_201719.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20170220_201853.jpg  

Last edited by dheepak10 : 21st February 2017 at 20:29.
dheepak10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 22:08   #1769
BHPian

I booked a Granite grey Baleno zeta petrol on 7.2.2017 and proposed waiting period is 24 weeks For diesel cars waiting period quoted is 20 weeks. How come Baleno has such a long waiting period? Is it going to improve anytime soon? Because it is extremely fraustrating to wait for nearly 6 months to get your car delievered.
Old 21st February 2017, 23:36   #1770
BHPian

Re: Delivery experience and Initial impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
There is no compartment is store the jack or other tools given. I have managed to place them around the spare wheel and the jack only rattles when I hit a large speed-breaker at a slightly higher speed.
Yes, unlike some cars that come with a Styrofoam block to embed the tools, the Baleno doesn't. I have a fat rubber band bound around the tools which are placed in the pouch and right next to the spare wheel, there is no rattling, nothing from the jack either. If it happens only on rougher parts of the roads then just learn to ignore it.

Quote:
Others experiencing the same as well?
A push is all that is needed to slot into place but if yours requires a second shove then there might be a loose contact or may be it just the hydraulic struts taking time to get adjusted.

I'm not sure if it is just the reflection from the flash in the last pic or do you have a chrome strip on the boot door lip ?

tjacob is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks