Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 14:50   #1486
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by farooq817 View Post
Coming to your query, the brakes just wont work in case the engine is switched off. The steering wont lock itself but will be extremely hard to turn.
Scary scenario:
What if, while driving, the engine shuts off due to some fault?
Using the handbrake when you're at cruising speed can make the car skid out of control & cause a bad accident.
In my 97 Esteem which also had power brakes, the foot brake would still work with the engine off, though greater force would have to be applied.
That would make for better safety in such situations.
Wonder why Maruti did away with such a fail safe brake feature.
Old 7th November 2016, 18:51   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Scary scenario:
What if, while driving, the engine shuts off due to some fault?
Using the handbrake when you're at cruising speed can make the car skid out of control & cause a bad accident.
In my 97 Esteem which also had power brakes, the foot brake would still work with the engine off, though greater force would have to be applied.
That would make for better safety in such situations.
Wonder why Maruti did away with such a fail safe brake feature.
Foot brake works for atleast 3-4 strokes after the engine shuts off. So, the scenario that you had just described is addressed.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 21:02   #1488
BHPian

Booked my Premium Silver Baleno Zeta three days back. I have been given a waiting period of 27 weeks, the RM says that is the longest time they quote but usually the cars are delivered earlier. I was in no hurry as its year ending so I said the RM I would be OK with a January end or February start delivery & the RM says that’s possible as they have delivered cars to some customers within a month. Also, I was told that my booking money is fully refundable & I can change my booking to Baleno RS if that excites me.

NEXA Experience – The RM, Mr. Bhosle at Andheri East attended as well. We were offered tea/coffee & bottled mineral water. Quickly briefed us about the car & took us for a test drive to the new airport route. The Premium Silver colour Baleno was not on the display, but there were some customer cars in the basement, which the RM obliged to show us just so that we can see the silver colour physically. All in all we loved the NEXA experience.

Test Drive – We were taken to the Mumbai airport new road & that road is good enough to test the car. The car feels huge & premium from outside. As I will be upgrading from a humble Hyundai Accent the interior felt OK to me, but I plan to change the seat covers, maybe customized rear bench & some beige interiors.

About the drive, the car just takes off as you floor the pedal. The steering feels nice & chunky. The airport road had some zigzag barricades which gives a good idea of how quickly the car turns. All the speed bumps were cleared in 2nd gear with the AC ON without any jerks, which were too prominent in my Hyundai Accent. The gear shifts are butter smooth, you can change gears with one finger. Loved the car & paid the booking amount.

Now hope to get the car delivered by January end or February start.

P.S. – The rim colour has been changed to grey from silver, which any way I would try swapping with aftermarket alloys as soon as possible.

Also here's a link which shows how Baleno fared on track, the results were surprising.
Old 7th November 2016, 21:32   #1489
BHPian

Recently did a 300 km highway drive in my friend's Baleno Automatic.

1) Keeping rpm between 1500-1800 is a sweet spot for maximum FE. I achieved close to 21 kmpl for the trip.(checked using tankful method)
2) Upshifts were quite noticeable but no jerks observed. It's a breeze to drive with left leg and left hand completely relaxing!
3) Driving above 90-100 is very tense. The car floats and does not inspire any confidence. Braking too is not so great.
4) Due to its ultra light weight, even small undulations of road are carried inside the cabin making everyone uncomfortable.
5) Seat and the position is not conducive for long journeys. Tried multiple positions. Ended up with lower back pain. Total drive time around 7 hours with 2-3 breaks.

The above were my observations in comparison to driving a Zest Revotron XT.
I have done multiple long highway drives, as long as 650+ kms (one side, Blr to Ashtamudi) and never have felt any kind of fatigue. Zest suspension and stability at higher speeds is very comfortable, reliable and hence confidence inspiring.
balajisv is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 12:41   #1490
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Ok. It has been a really good more than 10 months since I took delivery of my car last December. I do not drive much and the car has done just about 8500kms on the odo. Planning to give the car for service in a couple of weeks since I might be driving to Bangalore from Hyderabad. I want to share a strange issue (atleast I hope I'm able to convey myself properly) which I faced while driving to office.

While driving the car, I heard a kind of beeping sound in my ear (the kind of faint beep you hear when you hear something loud and after that your ears keep ringing). I thought that could probably just be my ear after a song which might have been a little loud. I switched off the music and i could still hear the faint beep. Switched off the AC and I could still hear it. I thought its probably the after effects of the song and continued driving for a while. At a junction, I stopped the car and switched it off and the noise was gone. It started as soon as I started the car. I moved my ear close to the steering and I could hear the faint beep a little louder. I could not open the engine bay to check since it was too noisy outside. After a while, the beep stopped and I could hear it again after sometime. This happened a couple of times and the sound is gone now.
Just wanted to understand what it might be. I hope I was able to put across my point properly.
Old 8th November 2016, 12:57   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

While driving the car, I heard a kind of beeping sound in my ear .
Did you noticed any light blinking on the instrument console?
In the Swift this faint beeping noise can be heard along with a blinking warning light if any of the door is not shut properly OR the handbrake has not been disengaged completely.
This is for the Swift but I guess both these warnings should be standard on the Baleno as well.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 8th November 2016 at 13:07.
Old 8th November 2016, 13:51   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
In the Swift this faint beeping noise can be heard along with a blinking warning light if any of the door is not shut properly OR the handbrake has not been disengaged completely.
This is for the Swift but I guess both these warnings should be standard on the Baleno as well.
Nope. Not a single warning light in the instrument console. The warning lights are proper repeated beeps. This was a very faint continuous beep. Like they show in the movies, when the villian gets a slap from the hero and the voice they hear in the background.

Last edited by farooq817 : 8th November 2016 at 14:01.
Old 8th November 2016, 14:41   #1493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Not a single warning light in the instrument console. The warning lights are proper repeated beeps. This was a very faint continuous beep. Like they show in the movies, when the villian gets a slap from the hero and the voice they hear in the background.
Not sure if that is the case but from my experience with my bike and car, I have experienced similar observation after a wash. It happens if water enters some buzzer/horn/speakers and shorts them somehow. It goes away after I have kept the bike/car in a sun for a couple of hours. So, did you get your car washed? Or any rat attack?
If not, then during routine service, when the car is lifted up on jack, try to rotate the wheels and check if they are free enough. Jammed brakes can let out a squealing sound too.
Old 8th November 2016, 15:18   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I don't know about door warning,but handbrake warning is same as swift.
Old 8th November 2016, 15:35   #1495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

While driving the car, I heard a kind of beeping sound in my ear (the kind of faint beep you hear when you hear something loud and after that your ears keep ringing).
Is it a beep or a continuous high frequency static disturbance kind of noise?

If a mobile is placed near the stereo, then it generates a static noise in the speakers, however the stereo should be on irrespective of the volume.
Old 8th November 2016, 23:54   #1496
BHPian

It might be from security system buzzer/beep. That's like squealing sound,"chuieeeee"
Old 9th November 2016, 09:06   #1497
BANNED

Quote:
While driving the car, I heard a kind of beeping sound in my ear (the kind of faint beep you hear when you hear something loud and after that your ears keep ringing).
Why not record the sound and post it here?!

Beeps that I am aware off are:

1. When key is not inserted in the key hole and parking lamp is ON - It is a continuous beep

2. When key is inserted in the key hole and door is open it is a intermittent beep

3. Engine is running and door is open then the beep comes almost every 2 or 3 seconds.

Other than these I am not mainly aware of! It could be the speakers coming in contact with something or signal interfering.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:17   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
It might be from security system buzzer/beep. That's like squealing sound,"chuieeeee"
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. But this is probably the closest someone got to the sound that I was actually hearing (chuieeeee).
While driving to work today morning, I didnt face any such noise nor did it appear while driving back home yesterday. So I will park this for now and keep a track to see if it is repeated again.
Old 11th November 2016, 19:13   #1499
BHPian

Hi Everyone!

I have been hearing a squeaky noise from front brakes of my Baleno for a few days now. This can be experienced with light braking at crawling to low speeds. Also, this happens only in cold starts. Mine is a petrol zeta bought in Feb 2016 done 7000 kms.

Has anyone else also experienced similar noise? I followed it up 2-3 times with Pratham Nexa and the guys have been very responsive so far. They have cleaned the brake discs and shoes twice but the sound still persists. Technicians at workshop felt that water residue from rain or even car washing could be the reason. But the monsoon is over now and to do a through check I did not wash the car for 3 weeks.

Now the workshop has said that they will order a new set of parts and replace them. At this point, I am not sure if they are talking of replacing the discs and pads or not.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this would be appreciated.
Old 11th November 2016, 21:55   #1500
BHPian

As someone had mentioned earlier, mileage in Baleno is ultra responsive to throttle input. I had an opportunity to test the same today. My Baleno petrol surprised me with the mileage numbers. Drove the car in the highway-of-sorts (NICE Road in Bangalore, to be precise) with a light foot on the throttle, for a range of about 30 km. Speed occasionally got built up to 3 digits as well. Even then the mileage is quite high. Imagine, if a similar driving style is adopted over a longer range, what would be the mileage returns. K12 engine - a gem.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_2648.jpg  

autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks