Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2015, 12:50   #76
J.Ravi

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Recently, Tata Zest, Abarth Punto, Ford Aspire and Hyundai i20 Elite/Active were test-driven by me and my son, more than once, for his first car. After these TD, he liked Abarth Punto, but, I didn't exactly for the following reasons:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
• Merely 155 mm of ground clearance. We have our concerns
• At 12 lakhs on-the-road, more equipment is expected
I liked Zest. He didn't.

We both didn't like Aspire.

We both liked i20, which emerged as the winner. The delivery is scheduled for tomorrow.

With 5 people on board and 174 mm ground clearance, Aspire managed to bottom-scrape over a huge inverted U hump on the Link Road near Rajajinagar Entrance. However, it managed the other trapezoidal speed-breakers without touching them. So, we did not trust Abarth Punto with 155 mm ground clearance notwithstanding its stiffened suspension. Abarth Punto failed miserably on the equipment list too, when compared to i20 Active 1.4 CRDi SX AVN. Abarth Punto is excellent for test-driving on tracks and not for owning to drive on our city roads and highways by spending ₹ 12 lakhs, IMO. Compared to the featureless, expensive Abarth Punto, all other cars have become VFM!
  (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 12:55   #77
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT: The way I find my perfect driving position is, I keep my hands over the steering in such a way that my wrists are on top of the steering wheels. Then I adjust my seat around this position. Not sure if this is the correct way, but I have always found this little trick useful and this also makes sure that all the controls are within reach.

PS: My Punto do not have seat height adjustment and I keep my steering at the lowermost position.

--Anoop
Old 26th November 2015, 13:04   #78
Senior - BHPian

5 stars for such a comprehensive review accompanied by some drool worthy pics. Thanks a ton S2.

I don't understand why such a fuss over seat ergonomics. In my two years of Punto ownership never did I once feel the seating out of its way. My only complaint was not enough under thigh support which is the case with most hatches. I have never been tired even after driving 5-6 hrs at a stretch. No back pain, sore arms nothing of that thing. So IMO seat ergonomics if completely fine with me in Punto and should be the same in Abarth too.

My complaint to Fiat are:
1) Why the matte grey was not offered in Abarth? That IMO would have attracted even more crowds to the showroom.
2) Talking of showroom, have the basic courtesy in having one opened in the whole of Mumbai/Navi Mumbai/Thane region. Not even one as of now?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 13:47   #79
BHPian

Thank you S2 for this crisp review. Firstly, hats off to Fiat India for catering needs of enthusiast. Combination of 145ps turbocharged petrol engine, hydraulic steering, solid bulid quality, superb chassis without compromising on ride quality and then equally capable brakes, will be dream of every petrolhead, all in all a perfect tight hatchback, only the fly on ointment would be the long throw gearbox. Having driven regular Punto & linea T-jet on few occasions, I personally can live with poor ergonomics & average interior fit and finish, just to get this engine.
PS- Fiat could atleast provide full size spare spare wheel if not alloy.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 14:27   #80
BHPian

Thanks S2 for such a comprehensive review!

Is the steering height adjustment similar to the normal Punto?

Let me see if I can convince my family to get this 'Dream Machine' after my Ertiga completes 40K
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 14:47   #81
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope, even in a place like Bombay where taxes are reasonable, it's nearly 12 lakhs on the road.
My cousin's Punto Abarth was delivered last Sunday. It was 11.4 on-road.

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-price.jpg
h14 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 17:22   #82
BHPian

Excellent Review S2!. I have been an ardent fan of Punto ever since i drove my friend Punto in 2013. The stability this car has is beyond all expectations at this level. The only major concern was the 75 bhp 1.3MJD engine. Things didn't change much with Punto Evo. But now with the abarth 145bhp changes have to happen.

Or at least that is my wish. 11.4L OTR is a letdown to start with. This car is not going to set sales chart on fire. Like mentioned in the review and by so many others this is an enthusiast's car. Not sure how many of us out there will take this car for an every day ride. 155cm GC on Indian roads is another let down (wont complain as im sure GC was reduced for safety). Cars half the price comes with better features. A Linea with this motor would have given some decent sales numbers for FIAT.

Having said all this, i would still request the Abarth owners out there to take me with you guys on the highway as i wont mind sitting in the co driver seat waving hands to every other car on the road as you move past them.
arunmichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 17:44   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Has anyone test driven the Abarth Punto in Chennai?

When I checked with RDC FIAT, they claim the car isn't registered so they cannot bring the car to customer place. That's no big deal, I can go to the showroom. But even if I go to the showroom I can drive it only around the showroom for 2Kms. Disappointed.
Test drove the car. Didn't disappoint. Love it! I was filled with joy throughout the drive and the last time I felt something like this was when I drove the Laura TSi. The acceleration in the Laura was violent while it seemed linear in the Abarth Punto.

BIGGEST fly in the ointment is the gearbox. Gearshift quality was pathetic, especially shifting from 3rd to 2nd was a pain. Why couldn't have FIAT fixed it?

FIAT could have thrown in some extra kit (the electronic gizmos) to please a larger audience; but an enthusiast wouldn't bother about missing an electrically foldable mirror I guess.

Crafted for car lovers? AGREE
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 18:26   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
We both liked i20, which emerged as the winner. The delivery is scheduled for tomorrow.

With 5 people on board and 174 mm ground clearance, Aspire managed to bottom-scrape over a huge inverted U hump on the Link Road near Rajajinagar Entrance. However, it managed the other trapezoidal speed-breakers without touching them. So, we did not trust Abarth Punto with 155 mm ground clearance notwithstanding its stiffened suspension. Abarth Punto failed miserably on the equipment list too, when compared to i20 Active 1.4 CRDi SX AVN. Abarth Punto is excellent for test-driving on tracks and not for owning to drive on our city roads and highways by spending ₹ 12 lakhs, IMO. Compared to the featureless, expensive Abarth Punto, all other cars have become VFM!
Firstly congratulations on buying the i20!

Off topic!! Since you have mentioned ground clearance as one of the aspects, probably you could have tried the Avventura powered by Abarth, it would have satisfied your son's desire to own a drivers car and family's need for a great ride quality. All this in addition to the great looker the Avventura is..!

Cheers!
Higgs_Boson_i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 18:55   #85
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs_Boson_i View Post
Since you have mentioned ground clearance as one of the aspects, probably you could have tried the Avventura powered by Abarth
Yes, we both liked Abarth Avventura with its 205 mm ground clearance and 205 mm wide tyres, but could not test-drive it as TD car was not available with the Bangalore dealers. They didn't have a clue when it would be available. My son wanted to finalize the selection process by July 2015 itself. I only suggested to him to wait until the launch of Abarth Punto, test-drive it, and then, take a final decision.

Old 26th November 2015, 19:14   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yes, we both liked Abarth Avventura with its 205 mm ground clearance and 205 mm wide tyres, but could not test-drive it as TD car was not available with the Bangalore dealers. They didn't have a clue when it would be available. My son wanted to finalize the selection process by July 2015 itself. I only suggested to him to wait until the launch of Abarth Punto, test-drive it, and then, take a final decision.
The concept of ground clearance is actually a grey area because it is usually quoted without any load. What really matters is what the ground clearance becomes when loaded with say 4 people and luggage. I really shouldn't speculate, but assume that the 'actual' ground clearance of the Abarth with the above load wont be that far off from the softer sprung i20 with the same load.
keroo1099 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 19:43   #87
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the excellent review. We were waiting for it. Disappointed that Fiat currently has no dealerships in Mumbai, but upon enquiring in Pune, they will sell you the car without registration and a 7 day temp passing. Registration would have to be done by the buyer. I was told that after payment, it'll take 5 days to get the car.

35k+ kms in our Grande Punto 1.2 and we definitely are considering Abarth as a worthy successor. Kudos to Fiat for going the whole mile and upgrading the brakes and suspension. The stickers looks a bit loud, but as they can be easily removed, not much of a problem.

The owners of this car will have nothing but a wide grin every time they get have a spin. Forget the FE, forget the other drawbacks. This car will ensure that the wide grin stays plastered on your face.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 19:54   #88
BHPian

I am sure that in every car manufacturers employ in India are people who are supposed to have a pulse on the market and know the needs of the educated urban car buyer. These guys are surprisingly incompetent in my opinion. The lack of features in the Abarth is glaring for the price point and also in comparison with other products from the fiat india stable. This is the reason why the Abarth IMHO is a sitting duck. Somebody should be sacked at Fiat, and Chevrolet (for the Trailblazer). Fancy stickers don't sell cars (case in point being the Abarth) and a 2WD (in the case of Trailblazer) is not an SUV. I am really disappointed with these two launches. Hope the next year fares better.
Old 26th November 2015, 20:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

Wish i could get this car in my garage for spirited city drives and late night fun, it was an excellent review and every thing was covered in detail. So the traditional Punto positives have been strengthened upon and the weaknesses remain. I have no qualms with the driving position since i used a Linea for 7 years but that gearbox should not have made its way in the Abarth.

A contract can be made with Suzuki, Fiat can provide engines and they should provide the slick 5 speed manual gearbox to Fiat.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 22:20   #90
BHPian

WOW!! A feel of getting mesmerized engulfed my mind after reading this review. Actually this happens every time i go through a FIAT review here. Simply outstanding review and calls for an applause . What a superb car FIAT has introduced and has maintained the standards of safety, performance,power and dynamic maturity . Having been a long time FIAT fan , its always disheartening to see low sale figures and service levels. Hope people get to know about this beauty and leave playing with toys on roads. Kudos to the reviewer again !!
ashish_BHP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks