Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2018, 12:51   #2326
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I completed my return journey of 660 Km in one shot yesterday. I got a Kmpl figure of 17.83, based on the tank-full to tank-full method. Mahindra had advertised around 18 Kmpl of mileage...which is why what I got seems unreal to me. I didn't even use the eco mode or eco A.C. Unruly and unpredictable traffic on the highway kept me at a sedate 80 Kmph and 2000 RPM constantly. And that seems to be the secret sauce for extracting maximum fuel efficiency from the tank.
Very good FE figures there locusjag. Yes driving the TUV sedately around the 2000 rpm (80 kmph) mark seems to be most efficient in terms of mileage. The best I have been able to extract is 15.3 kmpl over the last 3 years of ownership. Obviously it was a mix of city & highway driving. During my home-office-home commutes my FE figures are averaging around 14.75 kmpl. Me being a sedate driver helps achieve those figures.
AutoIndian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 10:01   #2327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
My AMT returned 15.35 Kmpl, I did a trip of 350 kms last month. I was trying to squeeze the best out of Tank, no aggressive acceleration, AC on eco mode and never crossed 80 Kmph. In city it returned 13 Kmpl, again rmp under 2000 and most of the time on A3 or A4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Very good FE figures there locusjag. Yes driving the TUV sedately around the 2000 rpm (80 kmph) mark seems to be most efficient in terms of mileage. The best I have been able to extract is 15.3 kmpl over the last 3 years of ownership. Obviously it was a mix of city & highway driving. During my home-office-home commutes my FE figures are averaging around 14.75 kmpl. Me being a sedate driver helps achieve those figures.
Seeing Ramnaresh's and Autoindian's FE figures, I have begun doubting my FE figures of 17.x Kmpl. It shouldn't be doable or I must've made a mistake. I had 35 PSI pressure on all 4 tyres and I had done 3 tankfuls, first at a bunk near home, one somewhere in rural Tamil Nadu and one 50 Km away from Chennai. I divided the Km's covered by the volume of diesel filled each time. With no Eco mode use, I don't think figures approaching the ARAI certified figures of 18.x Kmpl would be achievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
TUV300 and 300 Plus really have potential for much bigger numbers IMO, they need to be marketed better. The Nuvo and KUV100 lack such potential by design.
Yeah, they're saying that the TUV300 is getting re-jigged in 2019 to breach the 4m mark and to have front-facing 3rd row seats. Given the BS 6 diesel vehicle price shock that's going to hit the market in June 2020, they're scaling up the TUV so that the affluent target segment (which is less price sensitive) buys the TUV. I also infer from this that there's not going to be a petrol variant of the TUV come 2019.

In 2019, if Mahindra can put a little more into the heart of the TUV - it's engine, I am certain that it will do even better. To cover 660 Km a day on expressways, it took me a long 12 hours wherein my family would sleep and I'd be cruising at 80 kmph non-stop. Truth be told, if the TUV could cruise at 100 kmph as sedately, it would've cut down on our journey time by a lot. Right now, 100 Kmph is not a sweet spot for the Tank to cruise along.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 10:42   #2328
BHPian

Quote:
...if Mahindra can put a little more into the heart of the TUV - it's engine, I am certain that it will do even better. To cover 660 Km a day on expressways, it took me a long 12 hours wherein my family would sleep and I'd be cruising at 80 kmph non-stop. Truth be told, if the TUV could cruise at 100 kmph as sedately, it would've cut down on our journey time by a lot. Right now, 100 Kmph is not a sweet spot for the Tank to cruise along.

Hi Locusjag,
I have a 84bhp TUV and I find that with 4 adults and 2 kids on board 90 -100 KMPH to be the sweet spot for cruising with acceptable NVH levels and adequate reserve for any overtakes. I am not sure if there is a difference in the 100bhp variant mechanically (as in gear ratio) otherwise 100KMPH should be easily doable in the 100 bhp variant as well. In your case what problem do you face at 100 kmph is it the NVH levels or the engine strain?
Other 100 bhp variant owners do comment.
sathyasuri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 10:56   #2329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Hi Locusjag,
I have a 84bhp TUV and I find that with 4 adults and 2 kids on board 90 -100 KMPH to be the sweet spot for cruising with acceptable NVH levels and adequate reserve for any overtakes. I am not sure if there is a difference in the 100bhp variant mechanically (as in gear ratio) otherwise 100KMPH should be easily doable in the 100 bhp variant as well. In your case what problem do you face at 100 kmph is it the NVH levels or the engine strain?
Thanks for the heads-up. I need to bring this up in my 10,000 km service. I'll take her in for the scheduled service sometime around December. I definitely feel that driving at 100 kmph is not as smooth as it is at 80. It's not a NVH problem for sure; it's what I perceive as engine strain.

I haven't properly driven for long distances since buying my Tank in Feb 2018, in case you're wondering "why only now?"
Old 25th September 2018, 08:58   #2330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Hi Locusjag,
with sathyasuri's comments above. The 84 bhp's max torque rpm range is from 1500 to 2250 rpm. Now if you are in 5th gear, 1500 rpm corresponds to a speed of 60 kmph. For every increment of 250 rpm, the corresponding speed increases by 10 kmph (in 5th gear), which means the following:
1500 rpm = 60 kmph
1750 rpm = 70 kmph
2000 rpm = 80 kmph
2250 rpm = 90 kmph
2500 rpm = 100 kmph

So at 90 kmph in 5th gear you are at the end of peak torque curve. After that the power increases but the torque tapers. Usually on highways, I cruise at 80-90 kmph and occassionally touch 100 kmph for the overtakes. If anyone going above 100 kmph, I give them way and let them overtake me. Having said that I never found the engine to be strained at 100 kmph. But yes anything above 80 or 90 kmph and your FE would drop drastically.
AutoIndian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 10:13   #2331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I definitely feel that driving at 100 kmph is not as smooth as it is at 80
This could be because of multiple reasons

1. Tyre pressure - do you maintain the standard pressure of 35 across all tyres? Try and fill air when the tyres are cold and fill from the same place to ensure that its a constant

2. WA/WB - any steering vibrations felt at 100? Do get your WA/WB done, preferably from a good WA/WB place that uses hunter road force equipment. If its a WA/WB issue, you will immediately feel the difference once this is fixed

3. Air filter - given the crappy foam air filter, what I have observed is that the A pedal input increases quiet a bit when the filter hasn't been cleaned in sometime. This in turn can result in perceived sense of strain on engine as you are using more A pedal input and car isn't responding as expected

4. Modulator - not sure if the 2018 models also have this issue but if you feel vibrations on A/B pedals or have observed that over time your A pedal inputs have increased but the response from the engine has dropped, then you should ask MASS to check the modulator

5. Vaccum hose - I remember that my vaccum hose set was changed when I had power delivery issues. Not sure if the 2018 car has the updated vaccum hose set but wouldnt hurt to check with MASS

I have driven BLR-CHN a few times and many times on 4/6L roads with my speeds varying between 100-110 kmph. Post 110 kmph is when the car really struggle but till 110, I have never felt that the engine is strained. At 110, i think the RPMs are just above 3K rpms and the engine still sounds sweet (for a 3 pot diesel that it is).
procrj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 12:10   #2332
BHPian

Has Mahindra recently modified the Suspension with new springs and anti-roll bar?
Do the new TUV300 come with modified suspensions to reduce rear wheel spin?

Had done RLD replacement on my TUV300 (Dec 2015) recently at Automotive Motors Ltd(AML), Hyderabad due to excessive rear wheel spin.
The vehicle had done around 85K till date.Tyres have been replaced too - Goodyear AT/SA recently.

Apart from replacing RLD, they had also included modified suspension along with the kit.

The modified suspension is not good in my experience so far (driven 5K kms). I feel the GC has reduced a bit (proved with bottom scrappings on same muddy roads I take) , the shock absorber travel reduced and the rear part twitches out of line on bad roads with medium potholes at speeds of 40-50KMPH!

The good thing is the wavy side ways motion has reduced a lot and the vehicle is planted on twisties without that excess body roll.

When I mailed Mahindra today, they responded that all TUV300 vehicles now come with modified suspension kits and there is no way I can get the old springs back on my vehicle.

Can anyone add on any information on this please?
Alton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 19:05   #2333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
Has Mahindra recently modified the Suspension with new springs and anti-roll bar?
Do the new TUV300 come with modified suspensions to reduce rear wheel spin?

Apart from replacing RLD, they had also included modified suspension along with the kit.

The good thing is the wavy side ways motion has reduced a lot and the vehicle is planted on twisties without that excess body roll.

Can anyone add on any information on this please?

I have a 2 month old, April,18 mfg T10, purchased from Automotive Manufacturers Ltd. I can say a couple of things - body roll is minimal - for a vehicle of the TUV size and bulk. I will have to check if rear suspension setup and let you know.
LegalEagle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 08:31   #2334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had done RLD replacement on my TUV300 (Dec 2015) recently at Automotive Motors Ltd(AML), Hyderabad due to excessive rear wheel spin.
The vehicle had done around 85K till date.Tyres have been replaced too - Goodyear AT/SA recently.
Vow you have already reached 85K on your tank. Congratulations on putting that mileage on your TUV . Besides the rear wheel spin and the suspension, did you face any other issue in your TUV? My TUV is of the same vintage (Nov-2015), but I have managed lesser than half of your odo reading
Old 4th October 2018, 10:21   #2335
BHPian

Quote:
Vow you have already reached 85K on your tank. Congratulations on putting that mileage on your TUV . Besides the rear wheel spin and the suspension, did you face any other issue in your TUV? My TUV is of the same vintage (Nov-2015), but I have managed lesser than half of your odo reading
Hello AutoIndian, the TUV300 serves like a workhorse for me!
It had taken me through the rough rural roads,the highways, through dry fields, drove through almost 2-4 feet water streams(front headlamps almost immersed) and from Hyderabad to Ladakh
Believe me , never did it stop!
Yeah, the wheel spin issue is occasional over some muddy inclines without a full load. Though it was not important for me, agreed for the RLD replacement when the Service engineer suggested under Warranty.
Alas! they gave back the TUV300 with a hard suspension by changing the springs which I never asked for!
Other than that there was a Vacuum modulator change within the first 3 months of ownership and a clutch master & slave cylinder change at around 50K milestone.Both were under Warranty.
The service centre(AML Hyderabad) have been good to me and the TUV300 till date.Just the regular servicing with oil and filter changes along with Wheel rotation and WA.
I do get slightly low mileage on highways - about 14-14.5 KMPL and 11-12 KMPL in City with AC. Never used ECO mode.Speeds would be around 80-100KMPH on highways.
I always change gears as per the Book - right gear as per the speed of vehicle.
And that's about it!
Regards
Alton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 10:33   #2336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello AutoIndian, the TUV300 serves like a workhorse for me!
It had taken me through the rough rural roads,the highways, through dry fields, drove through almost 2-4 feet water streams(front headlamps almost immersed) and from Hyderabad to Ladakh
Believe me , never did it stop!
Super, so you have driven the TUV3OO the way it should be driven, like a tank, wonderful.. Have you come up with your Ladakh travelogue? How come I missed that?
Quote:
Yeah, the wheel spin issue is occasional over some muddy inclines without a full load. Though it was not important for me, agreed for the RLD replacement when the Service engineer suggested under Warranty.
Alas! they gave back the TUV300 with a hard suspension by changing the springs which I never asked for!
Other than that there was a Vacuum modulator change within the first 3 months of ownership and a clutch master & slave cylinder change at around 50K milestone.Both were under Warranty.
All in all, no major replacements, most of them being the regular ones. The only new item I can see here is the clutch master & slave cylinder. What were the symptoms of its failure? Clutch pedal getting hard, gear shifting getting hard or did the clutch pedal sink in completely?
clutch master & slave cylinder
Quote:
I do get slightly low mileage on highways - about 14-14.5 KMPL and 11-12 KMPL in City with AC. Never used ECO mode.Speeds would be around 80-100KMPH on highways.
I always change gears as per the Book - right gear as per the speed of vehicle.
And that's about it!
Regards
That's quite decent, I get the same 14-14.5 KMPL on highways and even in city driving with AC due to my driving style. I usually don't see much of a difference in mileage for city driving and highway driving because for me during city driving I am lone person in the tank (home-office-home) commutes, while on highways car is usually loaded, 6, 7 or even 8 people. Could you please share here your service bills for 50K, 60K, 70K & 80K? Want to see how are the maintenance charges post 50K. Are they in line with cars in the segment.
Old 4th October 2018, 14:42   #2337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only new item I can see here is the clutch master & slave cylinder.
More details here (Scorpio Mhawk Clutch Failure & Break Down). Its quiet possible that M&M decided to go ahead with the problematic Scoprio Master & Slave clutch cylinder to bring down costs
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 15:46   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
QUOTE=AutoIndian;4472201].. Have you come up with your Ladakh travelogue? How come I missed that?
Ladakh trip was done in Sep 2017 with 40K on the odo. Tried to log it but failed miserably. Would be happy to post a few landmark pics if Forum rules accept in this thread.

Quote:
What were the symptoms of its failure? Clutch pedal getting hard, gear shifting getting hard or did the clutch pedal sink in completely?
Yes the gear shift became very hard all through 1 to 3. Especially during cold starts.

Quote:
Could you please share here your service bills for 50K, 60K, 70K & 80K? Want to see how are the maintenance charges post 50K. Are they in line with cars in the segment
Service Bills incl.of tax for 40K - 7700; 50k - 11600 ; 60K-5200; 70K - 8200 and 80K - 7900.
My Grand Total Service cost till date on With You Hamesha app shows Rs.81747/- with 85K on the odo now.
The ASC, AML Hyderabad do a good job everytime I go to them for service.
There was an insurance claim to replace left rear door of Rs.21400/- in addition due to a hit by a donkey.
Overall,Service billing seems at par with others in this segment.
Alton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 18:24   #2339
BHPian

Have driven the Tank to Chennai from Hyderabad and back.

Onward Journey was through NH16 (Nalgonda-Ongole-Nellore-Chennai). Did a tankful just about outside Hyderabad and then did a tankful somewhere about Nellore. For a distance of 482km, my green monster returned 19.16kmpl with rpms hovering at 2000+-150 (speeds of 75-90kph).

During the return journey did a tankful in chennai and a tankful near destination in Hyderabad. Route was through Nagarjuna sagar , so a bit of bad roads and town traffic was there every now and then. Yet, the FE was 16.92 kmpl for the whole trip (720km).

Probably another 1 kmpl efficiency could be squeezed in with more sedate driving.
deetee is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 20:37   #2340
BHPian

Quote:
The ASC, AML Hyderabad do a good job everytime I go to them for service.

Hi Alton,
Quick question - which service center of AML Hyderabad do you take your TUV to? I am thinking about the Ranigunj Service center. Please advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks