Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2018, 09:51   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
After having owned a couple of Mahindra vehicles in past few years, I can say that they are arguably the most serious guys in India when it comes to keeping their customers pampered. I can count on my own fingers 2 instances where they surprised me by going out of the way for serving us (us == me, family and friends) and a few more where they have simply left us surprised with the alertness and unexpected responses. In fact, I would say that the XUV has managed to sail past all the initial issues solely because of the alertness and commitment at Mahindra's end. People these days praise Tata, some say Maruti is wonderful; but I have had my best service experiences with Mahindra closely followed by Toyota.
Having owned the Scorpio for the past 14 years (and having no plans of parting with it unless/until forced by legislation) I can say that I both agree & disagree on two separate counts!

That the Scorpio (and arguably the Bolero, the TUV & the XUV too) are great vehicles for the target customer. Anyone who wants a no-nonsense, sensibly priced SUV (not an X-5 or a Cayenne at one end nor the plethora of hatch-on-stilts-&-steroids at the other!) will find one in the M&M stables. Their ruggedness, durability & core reliability will be vouched for by any number of owners - our Scorpio has clocked over 160K + since we bought it in 2004 & has taken us all over the country, without once leaving us stranded in the boon-docks. We (meaning my wife & I, plus our two boxers, who have accompanied us on so many of our trips) are quite devoted to our Bucephalus.

But I cant be as whole-heartedly approving about M&M's ASS and maintenance. We have had happier results from our FNG here in Lucknow, including fairly serious issues. My post in the 'Scorpio:Issues & solutions' section (post #4300 on page 287) about replacement of the t/charger core is a case in point. However, having said that, I am really happy that your experience with M&M has been so pleasant. For our next replacement (just as soon as that cash-flow issue is resolved!) we are happily day-dreaming about another Scorpio or the TUV 300+. I am firmly in the RWD, body-on-chassis corner of the SUV spectrum!

Last edited by shashanka : 7th April 2018 at 09:54.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 12:48   #2147
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, what do you know?

I was in a car accessories shop near my home in Selaiyur (Chennai) when I bumped into a M&M employee who happened to work on the design and testing of the TUV 300 and is now working on the U321 project at Mahindra City, Chenglepet.

I was busy explaining to the irreverent accessories shop, why I want a custom-made backrest for the passenger in the middle seat in the 2nd row (to prevent the neck's hyperextension, in the event of hard-braking or in an impact), when a silent customer told me that he's a Mahindra employee.

He was very inquisitive and curious to know what I thought about the TUV. I told him that I'm very happy and the pride in his eyes was worth beholding!

Anyways, I took the liberty of getting the following opinions from him, concerning the TUV -

1) On Rogerabs and other rubber/PU dampers to control bounce and bodyroll in the TUV - "I can't say how the vehicle will behave quite frankly, should a puncture or a tyre-burst occur, when you fit such things. We tested the TUV 300 against 850 DPVs (design point validations) such as its behavior when a puncture occurs at high speeds and the OEM set-up is best left unchanged. Don't do it."

2) On the suspension setup in the TUV 300 - "We know what the customer wants in India, with a rugged UV. While the TUV does bounce over speed-breakers, the positive for you is that it can be driven at high speeds over very bad roads. It can take most of what the typical Indian customer can throw at it. There's a trade-off."

3) On wheelspin in TUV 300 - "We didn't install the MLD after taking a cost-benefit study. There was a 5% reduction in price as a result. If you want, get it installed by making a complaint. In roughly a year's time, the next version of the TUV will be out and we're trying to get a more even weight distribution to all 4 wheels by reducing the center of gravity of the car by around 20 mm. Wheelspin may not be an issue in the next version."

4) On the life of the MLD kit - "With servicing and maintenance, it's as good as any other part...I don't think there is a problem with it." (I am not raining on Shashanka's input in this thread, where he warned of a 60,000 Km inflection point after which the MLD requires an overhauling of sorts. This was the M&M engineer's opinion, take it or leave it.)

Soon enough, he had to pay attention to the sunfilm being stuck on his own vehicle, a Santro(!), so I didn't bug him any further.

Me? I'm going to get a fixed (rather than an adjustable) headrest installed for the 2nd row seat right in the middle. I'm waiting for a quote from the accessories guy this evening. The Mahindra employee had helped the shop owner understand how to drill the frame of the seat and insert a headrest. They'd have to take off the fabric of the seat and the cushions to get this done.

PS: Gut-feeling tells me he's genuine, as opposed to posers who bandy about fancy stories. For instance, I've met my share of pot-bellied truck drivers in the US who were eager to narrate fancy stories ("...and when the body count touched 500, I told my team that I just can't do black ops anymore. That was how I ended my stint with the SEALs. And now, they don't make 'em like they used to anymore.") But then again, the man I met may not be a 100% or even 80% correct with some of his opinions.

Last edited by locusjag : 7th April 2018 at 12:52.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 17:59   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Thanks a lot for the information Shashanka, this has indeed got me ready for a new MLD under the extended warranty once this one crosses 60k kms. Going by Mahindra A.S.S., I am quite assured that a new MLD is on its way for the TUV once this one gives way at 60k or so kms on odo.

In the meanwhile, I am enjoying the short wheelbase + high GC and wonderful visibility of the TUV 3OO after the MLD installation, here is another video show today itself and soon this car is heading to:
1) A jungle safari with one proper 4x4
2) Leh!!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=T-nZ...ature=Youtu.be

Thanks for this post sir, read it and found mine too!
Hi,

I will also be doing the Leh circuit this May end/June first week in my TUV.

I have git MLD installed almost around 10 months back, no problems till now. Infact with MLD it gives more confidence to take it in any terrain.
Old 7th April 2018, 21:03   #2149
BHPian

Query on the reverse camera. The video is reversed when you look at it on the screen. Is this how it should be? Number plates are reversed and right hand appears as left. Is it as per design? I know the ambulance text is spelt reverse as a mirror image for this reason but was confused why the reverse cam has to do this. I don't recall if the reverse cams in the US rental cars behave this way, will check on my next visit. The reverse cameras in the US take into account the turn of the car and the guide lines bend as well. This does not happen with the Mahindra supplied cam.
Old 7th April 2018, 22:12   #2150
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Meant to mimic a mirror.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th April 2018, 22:38   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Meant to mimic a mirror.
understood that but why, is it that they think our brain will process it better?
Old 7th April 2018, 22:54   #2152
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Check selfie cameras! And the reason why.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 8th April 2018, 00:34   #2153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Check selfie cameras! And the reason why.
Got it and more here from Wikipedia
The design of a backup camera is distinct from other cameras in that the image is horizontally flipped so that the output is a mirror image. This is necessary because the camera and the driver face opposite directions, and without it, the camera's right would be on the driver's left and vice versa. A mirrored image makes the orientation of the display consistent with the physical mirrors installed on the vehicle.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 10:22   #2154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
That the Scorpio (and arguably the Bolero, the TUV & the XUV too) are great vehicles for the target customer. Anyone who wants a no-nonsense, sensibly priced SUV (not an X-5 or a Cayenne at one end nor the plethora of hatch-on-stilts-&-steroids at the other!) will find one in the M&M stables. !
There are tons of SUV's between the ones you have mentioned. While I agree that M&M makes good, reliable rugged SUV's, I can't forgive them for their pricing, both Storme & Hexa work out cheaper than Scorpio and XUV respectively. And that, they both appear more premium and have much more space than M&M SUV's. For a bit more, you can get the MU-X or maybe a pre owned Toyota Mitsubishi. You can also get the V-Cross.

I just didn't understand your analogy of saying that there is nothing worthwhile between X5/Cayene and Scorpio/TUV, I mean Fortuner and the clan are not priced at par with Scorpio but buying these Jap SUV's will any day be more real than the Germans.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 13:33   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
There are tons of SUV's between the ones you have mentioned. While I agree that M&M makes good, reliable rugged SUV's, I can't forgive them for their pricing, both Storme & Hexa work out cheaper than Scorpio and XUV respectively. And that, they both appear more premium and have much more space than M&M SUV's. For a bit more, you can get the MU-X or maybe a pre owned Toyota Mitsubishi. You can also get the V-Cross.

I just didn't understand your analogy of saying that there is nothing worthwhile between X5/Cayene and Scorpio/TUV, I mean Fortuner and the clan are not priced at par with Scorpio but buying these Jap SUV's will any day be more real than the Germans.

Did I say that there's nothing worthwhile in-between? One can find a no-frills SUV in the M&M stables - quite true! One can find them in other niches too - TML products as you mentioned (tho' my own experience of 8 years of Sierra ownership has made me wary of burning my fingers again!) & the other examples you mention. And in the pre-owned market as well. What I did was assure him that he had not made a wrong decision with the TUV.

And of course the Germans have been leading the over-priced brigade in the Indian SUV market. Though lately they have been joined by others too, including the Italian exotics (Maserati & Lamborghini) & Jaguar also! So one has a plethora of choices - how one utilizes one's hard-earned money & what one expects out of it is the moot question.

Last edited by shashanka : 8th April 2018 at 13:38.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 12:46   #2156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
While I agree that M&M makes good, reliable rugged SUV's, I can't forgive them for their pricing, both Storme & Hexa work out cheaper than Scorpio and XUV respectively.
Slightly OT; looks like Tata has been under-pricing its cars, IMO, to the extent that they're not making a profit at all.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/every-tat...ekaran-1761089

Quote:
"In passenger cars, our cost structures are out of whack. Every single car and model is losing money. It's important to pick up volumes and try to become profitable."
While Chandrashekar is hinting at driving volumes to get better ROI (margins * turnover = ROI), in my opinion, Tata ought to jack up its ROI by gunning for better margins (i.e., with higher pricing). Why? With its unsavory ASS reputation, Tata Motors cannot hope to see dramatically higher volumes anytime soon, even though Nexon, Hexa and the Tigor are enjoying good numbers. They really ought to hike their prices, says this particular nobody, so that the higher margins (in the formula margins * turnover = ROI) drives better profitability for them.

Personally, even though I've loved Tata's cars all along, I wouldn't buy a Tata car.
Old 10th April 2018, 12:31   #2157
BHPian

TUV 300 in the top gainers! Any specific reason? Is it just the Financial year end syndrome?
This sudden surge in numbers was not observed in the last two years (March 17 & 16) though.
Below pic source: Tbhp March 18 sales analysis.

Last edited by sathyasuri : 10th April 2018 at 12:36.
sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 12:33   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
TUV 300 in the top gainers! [/IMG]
I visited the TVS showroom last week and saw their RTO list. They had about 20 vehicles being registered that day of which 8+ were Xylo and also saw 5 TUVs being prepped for delivery.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 14:00   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
TUV 300 in the top gainers! Any specific reason? Is it just the Financial year end syndrome?
This sudden surge in numbers was not observed in the last two years (March 17 & 16) though.
I guess people are slowly but surely warming up to the fact that TUV3OO is a no-nonsense car. With the bump in power to 100 Bhp and all the initial niggles sorted out, you get a proper body on frame SUV with RWD configuration that can take the city as well as rural jungles with equal ease and that too at a competent price.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 14:16   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I guess people are slowly but surely warming up to the fact that TUV3OO is a no-nonsense car. With the bump in power to 100 Bhp and all the initial niggles sorted out, you get a proper body on frame SUV with RWD configuration that can take the city as well as rural jungles with equal ease and that too at a competent price.
Exactly! Since TUV 300's launch one of the main USP has been its VFM proposition. And as you said, with most of the main issues sorted out, it now becomes a good alternative in the sub-compact UV segment.

Last edited by sathyasuri : 10th April 2018 at 14:18. Reason: corrected typo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks