Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2015, 12:24   #181
BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post

Renault Kwid bookings Closed for Top & Base Variant, 50000+ Booking Received (now 9 months waiting period)
Absolutely pathetic! Are these buyers willing to wait so long?? With all talks of challenging Maruti, this has fizzed out too soon. Reminded of Ecosport all over again.
But then this aint no Ecosport for which one would wait 6-7 months. These companies show great ambition but dont even have half the preparation of what it takes to seriously challenge the market leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltheking View Post

Once the initial hoopla and hype dies off - Renault will have a tough time. Don't think 50000 bookings is a lot - especially in the mas market segment - as Maruti sells about 20000 Altos every single month !
+1 to that, If Renault wanted to play volume why did they not stock it up? They even downsized at their plant! That too, at a time when deliveries matter most. And what after the launch of the Redi-go?

Have hardly seen a Kwid on the road and bookings already full? I remember Mahindra doing this previously with the XUV 500, but thats a D segment SUV. The Margins would have been much fatter that this entry level zone.

If they cannot deliver in such volumes, they should have priced it higher to keep demand in check. A case of over-promising and under-delivering I say.

After big talks of displacing the market leader, all Renault does is settle for 5-6k units a month
400notout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 12:42   #182
BHPian

Renault finally has a chance to sustain itself with the Kwid. Agreed that 50,000 isn't a lot but considering that Creta is doing 7000+ per month, this booking equates to about 7 months worth of order already. I don't think Renault will make too much profit on this but now with the Scala, Fluence and Koleos gone pretty much for the lineup, reduced production of Lodgy & Duster, you may find some retooling and push for increased production of Kwid. Lets hope they continue to do well.
Old 28th October 2015, 12:52   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
These companies show great ambition but dont even have half the preparation of what it takes to seriously challenge the market leader.
It is not even about displacing a leader in a specific segment. Their marketing, launch, static inventory, and future logistics should have shown some holistic planning. It is equivalent to creating a hype (in waves) and then reaping the rewards. Who suffers. The end-point customer. They successfully created a segment brand, now are failing at stage one. Really weird.
Old 28th October 2015, 13:18   #184
Senior - BHPian

I checked out the Kwid to mixed reactions. The exterior looks truly imposing and it was amazing they pulled this off, but the inside isn't a patch on the Eon. I still prefer Hyundai's tiny hatch when it comes to the interior, with its truly premium feel. The engine and gearbox left much to be desired, maybe Ver2 could be smoother.
Old 28th October 2015, 23:32   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Now the news that bookings are closed for the too end and the base variants. That is absolutely ridiculous. Plus a waiting period of upto 9 months for an already placed order ? This would be a perfect example of a marketing disaster which would be taught in business schools. Similar to the Tata Nano fiasco in 2009 which branded it the cheapest car and doomed it.

Once the initial hoopla and hype dies off - Renault will have a tough time. Don't think 50000 bookings is a lot - especially in the mas market segment - as Maruti sells about 20000 Altos every single month !
The MBA example you're looking for is the Fiat Uno.
50k bookings for an unheard French brand are remarkable. Kwid proves that cheap doesn't have to look dreadful.
Old 29th October 2015, 02:32   #186
BHPian

I think Renault are digging a grave for themselves if they don't increase the production of Kwid and bring down those waiting periods. 6-9 months for a small car is atrocious and I don't think people shopping in this segment will really wait that long, rather they might turn out to the tested and trusted brands MSIL or Hyundai.
Old 29th October 2015, 10:18   #187
Senior - BHPian

I visited Trident Renault and enquired about the status of my booking. The advisor confirmed the car will be delivered as promised. However he confirmed that so far only 3 cars have been delivered to the customers.
Its not urgent for me to get the car as it is going to be my 2nd car, so even if it gets delivered by Feb/March, I am ok with it. However if the prices increases by say more than 25K I plan to reconsider.

Regarding waiting periods, I remember even Alto K10 quoting waiting periods of 6 months particularly for the AMT version. While it is not good to wait for so long for any car, I would rather wait than compromise on my choice.
Old 29th October 2015, 10:20   #188
Senior - BHPian

Tded the Kwid yesterday.
Like the way it looks, the interior space, paint finish is good and plastics could have been better.
Did not like that the top glove box clip on the TD car was broken, stuck with tape. Parts not received yet is too lame an excuse.
Engine doe not have the punch with 5 on board and air con. I am not complaining as this is a 800CC. Engine noise in low gears can be because of the technology used for the engine that does not require a timing belt replacement for life. Oil sump is plastic. Scary as we are from the hills where the roads are non existent in some places. Somehow I think it is a cover.

Booked a silver RXt 0 driver air bag. Car is at the yard. Delivery next week.

Last edited by beejay : 29th October 2015 at 10:25.
beejay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 16:37   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Now the news that bookings are closed for the too end and the base variants. That is absolutely ridiculous. Plus a waiting period of upto 9 months for an already placed order ? This would be a perfect example of a marketing disaster which would be taught in business schools. Similar to the Tata Nano fiasco in 2009 which branded it the cheapest car and doomed it.

What do they mean by booking closed?
If someone wants to book RxT(O) it is not possible anymore, until they do something for the current orders?
From the point of view of Renault, having such long waiting list, is a huge success. The production plants will be running at full capacity. As long as they have orders in hand enough to expand capacity, their business is successful. We should not compare the number of bookings to the market leader, which delivers 20 units of multiple cars (Alto, Swift, Dzire).
Even if customers who are given 9 months time, cancel their bookings, they will still have new customers booking the car.
Customers with immediate car need will prefer the Alto or Eon, anyway. Only the 2nd car customers will wait it out for the Kwid.
Kwid can sustain its sales (as per their booking & waiting period) until the next big launch in A segment - probably their own Datsun Redi-Go.
All this can go on, until Maruti reveals its Next gen Alto with 658cc engine and a superior mileage figure of 38kmpl (No updates on this, but 6 months old news suggests, such a car could be revealed in 2016 auto expo)
Old 31st October 2015, 11:42   #190
BHPian

While 50K bookings is a great start for the new A segmenter, the fact that Renault does not have the experience of handling such huge volumes is a cause of worry, with waiting period running for more than 6 months, customers opting for the Alto/Eon will be inevitable. But the fresh new product, beefed up styling, mini SUV like stance might make people consider the wait is worth.
Old 31st October 2015, 11:54   #191
Senior - BHPian

There is no point is closing bookings. Atleast the company should earn from the interest of booking amount which will add to their bottom line. Also it ensures that the customer will be entertained at the dealership and can look for alternate offerings (if budget permits). Shutting doors in business is never a good idea.

Renault has not arrived in India as yet. MSIL can still do it not Renault.
Old 31st October 2015, 13:55   #192
BHPian

Renault has done the honourable thing by closing the booking. They could have kept it open as booking advance poured in, but they understand that customers will become restless due to long waiting period and it may lead to dissatisfaction.
Old 31st October 2015, 22:52   #193
BHPian

I got fed up with the attitude of Renault dealership guys. Cancelled booking.
Booked Maruti Baleno. Though the so Nexa experience was not so 'premium' either but at least they were polite and responsive. They have promised delivery in 3-4 weeks.
Old 31st October 2015, 23:31   #194
BANNED

Disappointing experience for me too with Fatima Nagar Renault dealer in Pune. Went with my friend for his fathers new car. No one cares to talk with us. Same experience with few other customers too. They not even bother to give a single price list and booklet! My friends father was literally angry but he even don't find anyone to show his temper. Renault definitely losing the game and opportunity here. End of the they my friend father was satisfied with initial impression with Ford Aspire.
Old 1st November 2015, 17:02   #195
BHPian

Quote:

I see nothing wrong Renault is doing at the moment.

Firstly, they have got a very encouraging 50k bookings, a feat by itself in a long long time that i can remember from any manufacturer in India.

They would not have expected such a huge response so immediately, obviously something worked for them, the design, the looks, the price, the FE, everything. They of course do not have that kind of capacity to produce so many no.s so quickly, i am sure they will work out something. They are expanding their network from 180 to 280 service/showroom outlets by the year end & they are faced with a catch 22 situation in capacity terms & correctly took the decision to accept no further bookings.

What do you expect them to do ? Stop after 10k/20k bookings ? Here's someone who is offering the Indian consumer a refreshingly exciting choice over the Plain Jain Maruti's ( am not a Mul basher) & has been able to convince 50000 of them to read their script & take notice, effort must be appreciated.

Great going Renault !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks